It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it true that only white are capable of racism?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Races are purely a social construct, they do not exist in reality.

We all descend from a tiny group of people long, long ago. As humanity spread out throughout the globe, they became socially isolated and the people eventually started to look like each other through inbreeding. In africa, white babies died from sunburn before being able to reproduce, leaving only darker and darker skinned people as survivors. In northern europe, dark skinned babies died of a lack of vitamin D diseases and led to lighter and lighter skinned babies. Where ever groups were isolated for thousands of years they developed physical and similar DNA characteristics through inbreeding. But humans are humans like dogs are dogs, chihuahua's are dogs just as great danes are dogs, all humans are humans descended from the same origin group. So racism becomes a form of humanities self hatred, and a primal fear response to those not in our group.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
If I would produce a song with the title "Say it loud I'm white and I'm proud!!" I would be most definitely called a racist.

Or a station called "White Entertainment Network"

Or wear a shirt with "White is Beautiful" on it..

Maybe if you faced many many years of oppression and needed an uplifting message to help you stop believing that you were inferior.

African Americans were treated as animals under the law for a long time, and then they were treated as second class citizens for a long time after that. When you're told something enough times, you just might begin to believe it. And when you're treated a certain way for a long time, you might feel more inclined to just lay down and take it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
We should be shifting our judgemental instincts to intellect rather than skin-color. Stupidity comes in all shapes, colors and sizes.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by Hellas

Why are you proud? something your skin colour accomplished?

"im proud of the colour of my car, because of it i i got to work on time"???

_______

Its the pendulum effect.

If black enslaved you for 300 years, maybe now you can # on them and they just ignore you.

i like how Chris rock said it... "poor people can BS on rich people but if rich people BS on poor... thats just mean!"

Right. If we don't know what else to say we just pull the good old slave card. Maybe some should learn that by having BET and so on, it's the blacks that exclude themselves from everybody else.
Not the other way around.

You can't have it both ways!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yadda333

So you are saying it is ok to be racist if you are black and you are racist toward whites?

That seems to be what you are saying.

I say racism is a form of self hatred, a primal response of fear to those who one fears may do you harm.

And yes the slave master lives (rightfully so) in fear the slave will rise up and kill or greatly harm their master. Racism is a primal form of fear and self hatred regardless of what ones skin color is or the skin color of those they fear. (see my post at the top of page 5)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The old definition of racism is "The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abiities specific to that race." The second old definition was "Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on the above belief"

So, if you make a statement that Hispanics add warmth to a workplace. That would be racist because you have associated an attribute to a specific group of people.

A friend of mine had to attend diversity training. He went, didn't say much and then thought he was done. But, he was pressed by his bosses to comment on the diversity training at a rather well attended meeting. He tried to ignore the questions but was pushed by his bosses. So he stated that diversity training consisted of replacing negative stereotypes with more pleasant stereotypes like Hispanics bring warmth to a workplace. That did not go over too well. He was called in for discipline but he brought the material handed out at the training with him. Indeed his statement was accurate. How do you discipline someone for reporting what happened.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
reply to post by yadda333

So you are saying it is ok to be racist if you are black and you are racist toward whites?

That seems to be what you are saying.

I say racism is a form of self hatred, a primal response of fear to those who one fears may do you harm.

And yes the slave master lives (rightfully so) in fear the slave will rise up and kill or greatly harm their master. Racism is a primal form of fear and self hatred regardless of what ones skin color is or the skin color of those they fear. (see my post at the top of page 5)

No--I'm explaining the reason for BET, James Brown's song about being black and proud, and the t-shirt.

I did read your post. It was kind of weird, but you got some stuff right (right in the sense that modern genetics would agree that all humans are traced back to one group of Africans).

But you're also talking bigger and more abstract than what most posters here are.

What's interesting to me, and this may just be me, is that I don't see ATS as a microcosm of the rest of society. This place is more of a collection of the fringe and downright loony. I just don't find myself having these conversations in the real world.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by TheIceQueen

let me ask you this, is this racist?

As most people would assume, the 'Black' in Congressional Black Caucus, refers to the ethnicity of the congressperson. This principle was put to a test in January 2007.[6] Freshman Representative Steve Cohen, D-TN., who is white, pledged to apply for membership during his election campaign to represent his constituency, which is 60% African American. Hearn further reported that although the bylaws of the caucus do not make race a prerequisite for membership, former and current members of the caucus agreed that the group should remain "exclusively black". Rep. William Lacy Clay, Jr., D-MO., the son of Rep. William Lacy Clay Sr., D-MO., a co-founder of the caucus, is quoted as saying, "Mr. Cohen asked for admission, and he got his answer. He's white and the caucus is black. It's time to move on. We have racial policies to pursue and we are pursuing them, as Mr. Cohen has learned. It's an unwritten rule. It's understood." In response to the decision, Rep. Cohen referred to his campaign promise as "a social faux pas" because "It's their caucus and they do things their way. You don't force your way in. You need to be invited." Clay issued an official statement from his office:

Quite simply, Rep. Cohen will have to accept what the rest of the country will have to accept—there has been an unofficial Congressional White Caucus for over 200 years, and now it's our turn to say who can join 'the club.' He does not, and cannot, meet the membership criteria, unless he can change his skin color. Primarily, we are concerned with the needs and concerns of the black population, and we will not allow white America to infringe on those objectives.

from this wiki.Congressional Black Caucus

now if a group of white people did this or said this they would be called racist, and every al, jesse and clay would be calling for their heads.

edit on 10-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

White people did do this. They have done it since settlers landed on this continent. But it is reversed one time and white people get their panties in a bunch.

reply to post by nixie_nox

so to end racism, they should be allowed to do the same thing, talk about the pot calling the kettle, ops that might be racist, how about, hypocrites. if they want to be taken serious, instead of being seen as racist's, they should allow any one who is willing to join do so. especially some one who represents a a district that is sixty percent black.
or didn't you read that part.

As most people would assume, the 'Black' in Congressional Black Caucus, refers to the ethnicity of the congressperson. This principle was put to a test in January 2007.[6] Freshman Representative Steve Cohen, D-TN., who is white, pledged to apply for membership during his election campaign to represent his constituency, which is 60% African American.

this tells me that by not allowing a person that comes from a district that is over half of it's constituency is of,
black U.S. citizens, (i refuse to call them or any the other person by their national or continental designation , because they or any one born in the U.S. is a U.S. citizen, not a citizen of the continent or nation that their ancestors came from. my ancestors came from ireland, scotland, and italy, i didn't, i was born right here in the United States. therefore i'm a white U.S. citizen. ) they are not interested in changing discrimination, racism or prejudicial views.they are only interested in their race getting power or in maybe trying to get even. which will not accomplish any thing in the long run other than driving a wedge futher in the the populace.
people who keep having something repeatly thrown in their face, grow to resent the ones throwing it in their face or do they seem to forget that.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

And I got a movie coming out, "Django," check it out. Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson. “Django Unchained” I play a slave. How black is that? And in the movie I had to wear chains. How whack is that? But don't be worried about it because I get out the chains, I get free, I save my wife, and I kill all the white people in the movie. How great is that? And how black is that?
This was recently said by Jamie Foxx when hosting SNL but it's only posted on some small mostly independent sites, blogs and what not (at least from what I found). The audience did laugh and there was some cheering.

I don't have problems with such jokes, but then I consider: switch it around and imagine it was a white guy that said that by joking about killing all the black people. The audience definitely wouldn't be laughing about it and it'd be on the MSM with some public outrage.

I haven't forgotten about slavery and years of being called black in latin, but that doesn't exactly justify the double-standards. I sympathize and don't have a problem with "racist jokes," but I do have a problem with the double-standards and how society accepts them so blatantly.

Video details some more info as well.

This is a cultural and societal issue to me, not a skin colour one. I don't care what your skin colour is or where you're from: I prize intelligence, compassion, and common sense.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah whites are not the only racist but a lot of people in this thread are.

I find that funny they are in defense of racism is not only a white thing.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
does 'white european trash' count? i always wondered since it was said to me in the early nineties in a non-european country. does it constitute xenophobic racism or simply someones rinse and repeat choice of words?
lol or he was right!
f.
edit on 10-12-2012 by fakedirt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Interesting discussion. Lot of opinions, lot of angst and more than enough confusion.
I am older and I lived through those turbulent years of the 60's and 70's. I am a Vietnam Veteran, ex-cop and EMT. I have faced life and death situations more times than I care to remember. When it gets down and dirty, you place your trust and your future in your "buddy's" hands based on how alike you are. Gender, race nor sexual orientation figure into anything. Only the content of the charactor of the person in whom you placed your trust matters.
My point, you ask?
The term "racism" is a political construct. And it doesn't have a damn thing to do with slavery. Slavery is a harsh reality of the human condition. One faction conquers another in armed conflict, or some other method of struggle, and enslaves the surviving members. Been that way since we learned to kill and dominate as a means of controlling our environment. Some refer to it as the "law of the jungle" and "only the strong survive" in nature. Whatever you choose to call it, it is a reason for enslavement of the weaker by the stronger. It is NOT "intrinsically racist" since it IS only about power. Innumerable cultures have done it and the ability to dominate was the only criteria.
In fact, I would go so far as to say that the genocide of the indigenous peoples of the entire Western Hemisphere by other races was a much more appropo example of racism than slavery ever was. I mean if anybody has a right to beef, it would be the Paleo-Indians slaughtered by the White, Black and Hispanic races.
Who benefits from "racism"?
Politicians, or more appropriately, government, central banks,corporations and other theives and special interests who need to keep the "marks" at each others throats while they fleece em blind. ( Any carny coulda told ya that.)
Education, association and interaction are the only cures. You are combatting a survival instinct as old as humanity itself, i.e., the distrust of "different than me".
Gonna take time and effort and most, if not all of us will likely not live to see it come to pass. But with a little effort and a lotta patience, we can make it better for all our children. For like a unified one world government, it will come to pass in the fullness of time. We WILL get there one day.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here are two life experiences that lead me to believe all races are capable of racism. When i was in grade school my family moved way out of state. The school I went to was one of six white kids in the entire school. I met racism face to face everyday. And got my @$$ kicked every other day for just being the white kid, which they made this reason painfully obvious. I did have friends of other color, but not many. Now, fast forward to my graduating year of high school, another state, dominant race being white. Well someone thought it would be a good idea to have three guest speakers come to the auditorium and speak to us about racism. It was a native American, an African American, and an Asian. All three stood up their telling us how only whites can be racist. All I could think about were all the times I was picked on in grade school just because of my color. After the speakers were finished, I asked one of them about my situation from when i was younger. I was told that I must have provoked it, and was not being completely honest with my story. It infuriated me that they were being so ignorant. I thought "How racist of them to tell me such a thing" The point I'm making is that all races can be racist, point proven. Racism is blind to all sides.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Everyone is racist including me. Don't expect me to apologize for it. You haven't earned it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIceQueen

Non-whites, aren't racist against whites, at *times*. They are that, ALL the time.

Racism is an example of blonde stupidity ... because the "white" people of Europe, literally think it's all racism, because they believe their own babble, that they're the "master race". So, in the mind of these "blonde", "blue-eyed" white people, that believe themselves to be "the master race". They think that it is a bad thing, to belittle the "lower races". That is why, it is only "racism" when you do it against non-whites.

Is there anyone here, who thinks those white folks are the master race?

Does anyone here, need an example of non-white racism?

edit on 10/12/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

I don't know if I'm being racist right now. I don't think so, but I know a dick when I see one.

Does anyone here need an example of dick-ism?
edit on 12/10/2012 by PrplHrt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
No everyone is capable of racism even me. I have been insulted by other racists and found it hard to forgive them and in turn felt racist back.

I,ve been called a 'Paddy' and a 'Mick' in England, had to listen to a barrage of Irish jokes ( some were funny) , a Fenian in Belfast, a foreign b*****d ( because i look slightly Latino), a Mc Cooey just outside Belfast in the country towns. My English friends have had to listen to English jokes in Belfast.

I worked for an agency here in Belfast where i and a few others were the only locals...everyone else was from Eastern Europe. On a few jobs i was assumed Polish or Czech and that made me ashamed to be Irish. It was disgraceful how these hard working colleagues from Europe were been spoken to by my fellow Irishmen.

In school we used to refer to the other students who travelled from the countryside ...'cultees'. My nickname was the 'n' word in school especially when we came back from summer break.

My friend was called 'Mick' by a black colleague in a London tool shop daily until one day he snapped ( being a Loyalist ) and said the 'n' word and was instantly sacked and his life threatened. My little sister's dad is from Jamaica and has been call the 'n' word almost daily since arriving in London. I,ve heard black kids calling Indian kids curry and rice. My black friend always used to say to me 'you white boys have it easy'.

In Australia i was called a 'Pom' even though i,m from Ireland. The Chinese rudeboys that lived in my area used to give me dirty looks and spit on the ground infront of me.

In American in a place called Wildwood New Jersey, i had to take my passport every night to get into the Irish bars because again i was assumed Latino. Two black guys said to me ''we're gonna make you work whiteboy''...whatever that means.....i quickly got off side. My friend was called an Irish bum by the owner in an Italian liqour store for dropping a can of beer.

I guess what i,m saying is Racism is everywhere and seems to me a natural reaction in a mixed society. I,m not saying it's right but to expect it to be non existant is crazy.

I know some people will argue that one race discriminating or showing prejudice against the same race isn't racism but fundamently i think it shares the same roots.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
to answer the op to say that only white people can be racist is saying that only white people can be singled out as criminals when people of other races are somewhat superior to these laws. i have heard racist things from people of other races. with the issue of slavery, we have everybody owning everybody at one point in time. irish were owned, native americans were owned, scottish were owned, chinese were owned, jews were owned. nowadays white people are trafficked into sex slavery, yeah not manual labor slavery, sex slavery, so yeah racism is a capeable feeling that everybody feels at one time so when you feel it, don't take yourself seriously

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have never seen anyone call a black person racist (other than that one guy who is clearly racist, pretty famous, forgot his name). But, Im mixed and sometimes when I've joked around with my black friends about being black (yes we do it alot) they've said "How you racist against your own skin color". It's funny, but at the same time, it's revealing, because most of the time it isn't the racism itself that constitutes who is being racist, but the skin color of the people in the conversation.

Trust me, if you're black then you have seen racist black people, and they blatantly clear that they are racist. But the majority are not outwardly racist. I grew up in Jamaica, and where I lived most everyone is mixed, and although we know that we are majority black, we see ourselves as Jamaicans, not black people. It is evident in my family that we aren't the same black as (and a bit racist towards) African-Americans or Haitians are, just like Japanese families know they aren't the same asian (and are a bit racist towards) Koreans or Chinese people. Of course, it's one of those things that no one admits unless you're among the family, but it persists, disgustingly.

I used to be racist towards Haitian people, in a way, but I got over as I grew up and got to know some of them. And, after living in Japan (with my Chinese side of the family), it's the same racism over there. So no, not only white people are capable of racism, but the guilt of slavery somehow latches onto every white American's mind, and trust me, hispanics, blacks, and asians all know that they can be equally as racist, but it is easier to call out white people on it because Slavery already has happened.

TL;DR: In America, not only white people can be racist, but it is mainly only white people who are called out on it, not because of the racism, but because of their skin color.
edit on 10-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Do you really need to ask this? What a dumb statement and question.

NO whites arent the only ones capable of racism you just only hear it that way because it's acceptable to be racist to a white person. I have been on the receiving end of racism from two groups that are NON white multiple times. Did anything happen to them? HELL NO! However if I had said the same things and inverted a different word it would have been considered racist.

I have been followed and harassed by people of another race. If that were me it'd be considered a racial hate crime and they would have done something about it. I was harassed and threatened by a 7ft black guy where i worked yrs ago because he was falsifying his records and my job was to go over those records and if they were falsified I had to take away the sale. It was MY JOB. This guy didn't like that I took his sales away. He was breaking policy and the person who had the job prior to me let it go because he intimidated them as well. I went to management but they did nothing not even when cornered me and threatened to come to my house. They said he would sue them for racism if he was fired yet I was being called ALL kinds of racist white terms AND being threatened. That was ok to them. It was only when I went to the police and filed a complaint that they did something. So no whites aren't the only ones capable or racism. It just isn't seen as racist if another race makes racist comments to a white person. It's oh they deserved it type crap. Where I live being called racist white names happens at least once a week. I can go on about my experience with racism as a white female but I don't. I use to get called racist working in retail when the check system or card system declined a check or card due to lack of funds. Yet it was my fault cause I was white. I got called everything thing you can imagine yet if i said certain words back OMG look out I'm a racist.

It's bs. Other races are just as racist towards whites it's just acceptable. So anyone can be racist, it isn't just one group.

Personally I don't care about these words because they are just that words btu when you threaten me it's a different story.

edit on 12/10/2012 by mblahnikluver because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join