It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

excuse me? im under the impression that my elloquence is innate, and not a reflection of my diet.

but i am terribly interested in mental hygiene..

and here we are..

do you know why there is no coldfusion?

It is NOT that pons and flieschmann failed....

it is that WE have failed to reproduce the experiment..

(ok to be fair pons and F. have failed to reproduce it as well)

once an experiment is PUBLICALLY VERIFIED then it enters the scientific record...

now WHAT was that about JESUS again?

i am a very patient person (my diet permits extended periods of contact with the uninformed, its a survival stategy, my family is religious, and resistant to logical proof)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SERIOUS EDIT
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
seriously, prove your talk or GO AWAY

what exactly is it about JESUS that you can PROVE to a potential buyer?

im not gonna sign for the brooklyn bridge unless you gotta DEED.

(and a notary)
(and a bong hit)
(and a couple of strippers)
gotta love gods image...
divine creation has positive SIDE EFFECTS

ok yeah im being silly

but i ALREADY WENT TO COLLEGE

if you cant prove your Jesus talk

THEN PLEASE GO AWAY

now then, what were you saying?
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: typing, dude i have one finger, and its STONED

edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: whose got hash? cmon i KNOW your holdin out on me

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

The goal (not only on ATS) is to convince as many people as possible that traditional "faith" is not only preposterous, but dangerous.

It's war against personal freedom and liberty in the highest degree. Convince a person that they are their own God, and that there is no "higher power", and you have the ultimate slave. You can dictate to them the "truth" based on "reason and logic".... oh wait... isn't that kind of like dictating the truth based on faith? ... oh but faith is ridiculous right? Logic and reason are so much more believable.. according to...... [ ????? ]

Yes, this website is dominated by anti-religious sentiment - for anyone with a moral core out there reading - you should be aware of this before you decide to spend any time here.

For the people reading this who disagree with me, think about what I said.

Atheism is as much a religion as any other. It's contrary to the belief in a traditional "higher power" (moral compass) and in place instills a FAITH IN SELF... another term for that is Nihilism.

Good luck with that.

peace

edit on 10-12-2012 by HIWATT because: add

edit on 10-12-2012 by HIWATT because: add bold

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
I didn't read the other responses yet, I'll slap my fingers for that....but couldn't help reacting.
Though I admit there are a lot of aggressive atheists out there, that I find exaggerate claims and waste time chasing down Christians.....That that is especially new, I'll counter.

For centuries, many many Theists that have gone around chasing atheists and trying to convince, bully, manipulate, other people to join them! It is somewhat expected that at some point in time they are going to face the same back!

No, it is not every theist, I know many that do not do that, and I also know many atheists that don't do that, but those are not the most visible ones. It is the fanatics of both camps that are always standing out the most.

Eh, the fantics deserve each other. You each justify your choices of being! In order to be a hero warrior you need evil foes. You should be thanking each other for making this role play possible.

Dear Bluesma,

The real game being played is about having examples of religious arguments to justify prohibiting religious speech. I preach before a primarily gay, foreign audience. Some of them will ask me if what they do is a sin. I tell them, "Sure, why not". I then tell them that I lust after women and that it is also a sin. I then ask what they think the unforgivable sin is and assure them it is not being gay or having lust. It is rejecting the love of God and forgiveness for being imperfect. If we truly love all sentience in the universe (I do believe God is the totality and that all came from him or her or a non-gendered being, I don't think I can describe him or understand him) then we would forgive everyone. That means we don't think we are better and more deserving than others.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

nihilism and athiesm are different ISMS and you can tell this because they use ANOTHER WORD to tell one concept from the other

second line

ps anybody got a rum shot?
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: so all you sucker DJs who think your cool gonna have to realize you been acting like a fool WORD UP

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
reply to post by lambs to lions

The goal (not only on ATS) is to convince as many people as possible that traditional "faith" is not only preposterous, but dangerous.

It's war against personal freedom and liberty in the highest degree. Convince a person that they are their own God, and that there is no "higher power", and you have the ultimate slave. You can dictate to them the "truth" based on "reason and logic".... oh wait... isn't that kind of like dictating the truth based on faith? ... oh but faith is ridiculous right? Logic and reason are so much more believable.. according to...... [ ????? ]

Yes, this website is dominated by anti-religious sentiment - for anyone with a moral core out there reading - you should be aware of this before you decide to spend any time here.

For the people reading this who disagree with me, think about what I said.

Atheism is as much a religion as any other. It's contrary to the belief in a traditional "higher power" (moral compass) and in place instills a FAITH IN SELF... another term for that is Nihilism.

Good luck with that.

peace

edit on 10-12-2012 by HIWATT because: add

edit on 10-12-2012 by HIWATT because: add bold

Why do you equate religion to moral code...why do you equate atheism to immorality , unfortunately for religions I have met MORE moral athiests than moral religious folks!!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Because they think they have a monopoly on morality and anyone who doesn't believe must have no morals and will obviously eat children when hungry.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

I have to say, till I joined ATS, I never realized how palpable the hatred and contempt for Christianity which exists in the world today, although I have seen glimpses here and there in such things and media pieces on getting rid of prayer in schools or opposition to having the baby Jesus creche and nativity displayed in public places, or of course the infamous opposition to the 10 Commandments.

I don't know why you believe Christianity is so special. I mean, most people that see the problems in religion see it in every one. They are not singling out Christianity, it just so happens there are plenty of Christian bible thumpers on the forum, but I believe that to be reactionary rather than bias.

Try creating a few Muslim threads bordering on the extreme, suggesting Sharia Law, unequal rights of women, the fact that everyone besides them are infidels and all of a sudden ATS will look very anti-Muslim...

Some people seem to live for th emoment, never thinking about anything but that next party they are going to or popping open that beer or whatever other mundane thing they have going. I don't know how people can live with such little inner awareness.

I have very deep inner awareness. I am quite aware that my blood alcohol content is higher than a 0.6 right now, but probably lower than 0.9

And I'd say the both of us are confused:

I don't know how people can delude themselves with self-righteous attitudes simply because they believe in angry, vengeful god who sent his own son to be slaughtered by us all...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
atheists spend more time talking about God and religion than the pope does.

they have this fixation on God that it borders on insanity and to a normal human being they appear angry, bitter, hateful and resentful to something that they believe doesn't "exist".

if they talked about santa claus like they do God, they'd be institutionalized, possibly for many years, and heavily dosed with powerful psychiatric medications.

but since God exists, people tolerate their misguided positions as long as they don't implement their atheism like stalin and pol pot.

atheists should re-examine their stance since something that supposedly doesn't "exist" to them affects their life so much.

edit on 9-12-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

It affects our lives in the form of our societies being shaped by religion, and I'll give you a hint- it doesnt shape it in a good way!
That isnt imaginary, unlike peoples gods.

Religion is hindering our evolution. Its pretty important stuff, that's why we take it so seriously.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by AQuestion

There are no gods floating about. You don't have to tell your children about that fact. Now if your child comes home and says that people are saying there are gods floating about, then you should tell your children the truth. Gods floating about=false. No gods=true. I don't know how you're going to reason that the above formula is brainwashing?

Perhaps it's allin how you view the cosmos and the creative force. Perhaps God' realy does float about....in science we know that molecules move.

Molecules are always moving. Scientists say they vibrate (jiggle), rotate (spin), and translate (move from place to place). The molecules in your pencil, your paper, and even your chair are in motion right now.

I find this interesting too.

Scientists have named the parts of the atom protons, neutrons, and electrons. Incredible as it may seem, the difference among the elements on the periodic chart is simply the number of these particles that make up the various atoms.

A simple science lesson explains God floating about.
genesismission.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
For anyone who understood what I was saying.... notice the replies here...

At BEST, people who claim to be atheist see "morality" and "free will" as relative.

And many of them, especially on ATS, spend the entirety of their spare time saying RELIGION is dangerous?

uh huh...........

Like I said. Pay attention.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

I understand that there are lots of theists that do not abuse their beliefs, and in fact their belief is a major motor of benefit to the society. I have a few friends from childhood that I hold onto and cherish because they are that kind of christian- they actually shine as examples of the love and acceptance their religion designates.

But You must keep in mind too- that the atheists who attack and use methods of trying to shut down all theist discourse are usually reacting to the other kind of Christian- the ones that are not an example of those principles, the ones that use all kinds of tactics to try to shut down all discourse that they feel is contrary to what they believe.
The ones that are using their religious beliefs to get scientific theories out of schools, for example.

You'd probably do better trying to make a change in view to your fellow christians who are provoking this kind of reaction.
edit on 10-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by uwascallywabbit
reply to post by HIWATT

nihilism and athiesm are different ISMS and you can tell this because they use ANOTHER WORD to tell one concept from the other

second line

ps anybody got a rum shot?
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: so all you sucker DJs who think your cool gonna have to realize you been acting like a fool WORD UP

Right.

[url=http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nihilism]> this this

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

I understand that there are lots of theists that do not abuse their beliefs, and in fact their belief is a major motor of benefit to the society. I have a few friends from childhood that I hold onto and cherish because they are that kind of christian they actually shine as examples of the love and acceptance their religion designates.

But You must keep in mind too- that the atheists who attack and use methods of tryign to shut down all theist discourse are usually reacting to the other kind of Christian- the ones that are not an exampel of those principles, the ones that use all kidns of tactics to try to shut down all discourse that they feel is contrary to what they believe.
The ones that are using their religious beliefs to get scientific theories out of schools, for example.

You'd probably do better trying to make a change in view to your fellow christians who are provoking this kind of reaction.

Dear Bluesma,

LOL, that is exactly what I do, I preach to Christians and tell them not to be jerks and to not force their beliefs on anyone. I will tell you the truth, I am not an Evangelical and everyone should be free to believe whatever they want. We all should have the opportunity to state our beliefs and then defend them, they are what they are. I actually care less about Atheistic beliefs than I do about bad theology by christians. I have corresponded with you before and have plenty of threads and posts that others, can and have, reviewed. Please review and show me where I have done what you say should not be done.

I do not lump all Atheists together and believe that doing such would be obscene. Do you do as you recommend and correct the few hateful Atheists, I correct those who say they are christian.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Lambs to Lions:

It is a good opportunity to be involved with my family on a spiritual level...

Not in any way is this 'spiritual', it is a temporal act, a good one I might add, for you and your family, not for spiritual reasons, but for temporal reasons. Are you saying then that you are only 'spiritual' with your family three times a month. Surely, a Christian would be 'spiritual' every second of every day? Why therefore, the lapse in 'spirituality' for most of the month?

If I were to categorise myself, I would say that I am an agnostic atheist. I absolutely do not accept the biblical version, nor any other version of religion...as I believe religion to be the most insidious sarcoma of the heart and mind.

...and its no skin off my teeth to attend.

So, you're a blasé Christian. Just how deep exactly are your convictions?

I would like to say that although I am a believer, I respect those who do not and try not to impress my beliefs on others as I feel that it is counterproductive.

I see. Absurdities of the mind do not trouble you? It is better to be seen as being 'nice' and 'tolerant', rather than having to face up to the consequences of religious absurdity? Truth is, the reason why religious people tolerate the absurdities of religion is because if they didn't, it would denigrate their own belief. It's a selfish reason for toleration. "I know a hawk from a handsaw." Hamlet. Shakespear.

It is a growing form of guerrilla warfare designed to attack religion and deceive the masses. It is fueled by hate and spews misinformation.

I agree, it attacks religion, but is neither designed nor deceptive. It is often stated by religionists that the greatest trick the Devil pulls is to make people believe he doesn't exist. I would counter with the greatest trick that religion pulls is that the Devil does exist. Atheists attack the absurdities of religion, and simply offer the alternative, but entirely real vista of reality, through the application of both reason and logic. It is neither hateful nor misinformed.

This is why I state that the proponents of New Atheism are USING our forums to push their agenda.

Are you not doing the same thing? Are you not pushing your agenda? Where else would atheists go to counter the absurdity of religion? If a debate with another school is being held at your school, you don't go to some other unrelated school to participate, you go to the school at which it is being held. How are these exclusively YOUR forums? Are they not for all members of ATS? Exclusivity is religion's way of fractionalising the world, because each believes only their religion is true.

My problem is a movement such as this infiltrating these minds and planting seeds of hate...

First off, atheism (new or old) is not a movement, it is a statement of belief. Religionists state that a God exists, atheists state that there is no evidence of this, and therefore, no reason to believe God does exist. The onus is on the religionists to show the evidence, and they cannot, never have, shown such evidence. Atheists know they cannot prove a God doesn't exist (one cannot prove a negative), and that it is absurd to attempt to try, but what atheists do is dismantle the arguments for existence. Atheists don't peddle hate, never have, that has always been the sole domain of religion and religionists throughout history, and even in our own contemporary times.

I willingly give my respect as a fellow human to Atheists, who am I to judge? I despise these militant New Atheists, they are paramount to religious radicals. ATS would be much better of without them.

What a contradiction you are! You respect atheists, but despise 'new' atheists...there is no difference between them, nor could they ever be tantamount or equal to...radical religionists. ATS is certainly the much better for their presence.

For those interested in a good, educated, and friendly "is there a God?" debate...it is lengthy, but educational. It pits Christopher Hitchens who was one of the worlds foremost Atheist speakers and authors against William Lane Craig, one of the worlds foremost Theologian and Apologist.

Christopher Hitchens - RIP. Utterly destroyed Craig!
edit on 10/12/12 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Erm they are different.

Definition of NIHILISM

a : a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless
b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths
a : a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility

Definition of ATHEISM

archaic : ungodliness, wickedness
a : a disbelief in the existence of deity
b : the doctrine that there is no deity

Very different to me.
An Atheist does not always think existence is senseless and useless at all an atheist just someone who does not believe in any deity.
edit on 10-12-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I don't know why you believe Christianity is so special.

Let's be sure we understand one another. You perhaps did not see my post where I said tdhat nuggets of truth exist in all the major religions. Where did I say Christianity was special? It so happens that that early colonists brought their Christian beliefs with them to the New World, and so when our country was founded, that carried over into our new govt. It's there sorry to have to inform you. Some of the Founding Fathers were Masons, but of course that is still religion, just an esoteric form. The Founding Fathers just didn't want a tyrannical King or govt telling them how to worship.

Secular Humanism is a relatively new religion. And they have an agenda, that is to get remove Christianity from the public square. They say it is to preserve separation of Church and State, but I am almost certain it is much deeper than that, in fact it is likely to be an abject hatred of God altogether, although there is a branch of humanism called religious humanism, but this branch basically muddies the pure thought of the Absolute Truth.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

yes

that is correct

nihilism and atheism are not the same

as your link addroitly points out

continue to assist my efforts in any way you see fit

we need a LOT of help to get the blinders off these christians WHO THINK THEYRE RIGHT

but wont respond to my demands to PROOVE IT...

funny though

lots of talk in the thread after my demand

just no PROOF OF JESUS

i wonder why that is?

meanwhile force really does equal mass times acceleration

EVEN IF YOU GOT SUCKERED BY JESUS
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Again. To those reading, notice the defence here.

This is the PERFECT place to become popular, if you are a Godless heathen, and/or Freemason.

To everyone else... prepare to have your "points docked" LOL

pathetic.........

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

im confident that a true believer will (through the power of the Lamb)
allow me to be convinced by PROOF...

If it happens I'll bring you back to reality with this lamb.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

oops misread.
edit on 10-12-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join