It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
well they can go munch lime jello at THE CHILDREN'S TABLE while we talk about grown-up things YES?

second line
edit on 10-12-2012 by uwascallywabbit because: dude typing and jesus and bongs and bacardi nuff said

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoDat09
I only read your first post on this thread, so excuse me if I repeat anything that has already been discussed. I don't fault you for believing in a God, I don't fault you for believing there is a God, I grew up in a Catholic home, I went to a Catholic school till I went into the 10th grade, I know the teachings of God, they were drilled into my brain when I was young.

I do not any longer believe that God or the God that I knew and loved exists, I think religion as a whole is inherently evil, but I can't explain why!! Maybe I do know why ........it could be because every time a Muslim kills himself/herself he/she does it in the name of Allah, maybe it is because Jews often "defend" themselves in the name of YHWH or Elohim. or maybe it is because Christians often (in the past) murdered people in the name of God. I just think that religion as a whole is an evil thing that has been placed upon us, I don't think our ancestors meant to do this to us, but it has been an unfortunate result.

Basically what I believe is organized religion is bad for us as a people, everyone deserves to live a good life whether you believe in God, or Allah or Elohim! There should be no "right" religion and no "wrong" religion. If God exits then he/she should be able to look past these different names we have for him/her. If there is a God, I believe he is the only "God", and how could a God any kind of God sit back and watch the atrocities happening to the people on earth??
. Why are beliefs attacked . Surely everyone can believe as they wish . Why do you say that people kill in the name of Gods yet we see they still kill even without the name of God . They kill in the name of a salary , or the name of FUN or the name of the State as the collective WHOLE to be worshipped ..

So according to your argument , religion is evil because of killing in its name , thus one also has to conclude the State is evil as it kills ,. That which pays the soldiers wage is evil as that supports killing . Our ancestors killed , so they are also evil .according to your logic .
I personally agree with that logic of who is evil , but I dont think you meant for it to be applied to all , only to those who kill in the name of God

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

3) Ah the Stalin, Pol Pot gambit I will raise you the following

You don't need to. Forget pointing the finger back and forth. Religious like to ignore the fact that these people were raised under religion. That in itself could have been what messed them up.

Were Stalin, Hitler and Pol Pot atheists?

Theists hold up Communism and Nazism, along with the regime of the Cambodian tyrant Pol Pot, as evidence of murderous "atheist" tyrannies that have caused the deaths of tens of millions. While it may be true that Communism portrayed itself as "godless," it did not wage war in the name of atheism, nor were its founders and leaders raised as atheists. They were, in fact, preponderantly Jewish and Christian. Communist Manifesto writer Karl Marx was born a Jew, the grandson of two rabbis, and was converted to Christianity at age 6. Leon Trotsky, whose real name was Lev Bronstein, was born and raised a Jew but later declared himself "an internationalist."

Josef Stalin's "very religious" mother named him after St. Joseph, and wanted him to become a priest. Stalin himself supposedly claimed that his father had been a priest, and he was purportedly "damaged by violence" while being "raised in a poor priest-ridden household." As a youth, Stalin spent five years in a Greek Orthodox seminary, after which he purportedly renounced his religion. In his later years, Stalin apparently embraced Christianity once more. As Stalin biographer Edvard Radinsky remarks, "During his mysterious retreat [of June 1941] the ex-seminarist had decided to involve the aid of the God he had rejected." Radinsky likewise chronicles a number of religious comrades in Stalin's immediate circle. It is evident that, whether for good or bad, religion played a significant role in Stalin's life.

Adolf Hitler was raised a Catholic, and in a speech in 1922 he remarked, "My feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Saviour as a fighter..." In his autobiography Mein Kampf (1.2), Hitler stated:

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.
Throughout his life, Hitler invoked God and "the Lord," demonstrating his religious, not atheistic, nature. Pol Pot was raised a Buddhist and Catholic. In this regard, Dr. Ian Harris, a Reader in Religious Studies at the University College of St. Martin, relates: "In one of his early writings Pol Pot wrote approvingly that the 'democratic regime will bring back the Buddhist moralism because our great leader Buddha was the first to have taught [democracy].'" Although in comparison to the Abrahamic religions its history is far less violent, Buddhism has not been entirely devoid of atrocity in its spread and practice.

freethoughtnation.com...

Dumbest argument ever by the religious camp? Yep...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

ATS has been infiltrated by the Christians

Really? Was this once an exclusively non-Christian site at one time?

The OP Is right, there are some here who are rabid Christian bashers. They seem to have an almost irrational hatred and bias. It has been a good opportunity for me to view their opinions though. I have to say, till I joined ATS, I never realized how palpable the hatred and contempt for Christianity which exists in the world today, although I have seen glimpses here and there in such things and media pieces on getting rid of prayer in schools or opposition to having the baby Jesus creche and nativity displayed in public places, or of course the infamous opposition to the 10 Commandments.

Some people seem to live for th emoment, never thinking about anything but that next party they are going to or popping open that beer or whatever other mundane thing they have going. I don't know how people can live with such little inner awareness.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I didn't think most at Above Top Secret were "Anti God (Spiritual)". I thought most here at least believed in some type of spirituality (I know there are SOME atheists, but I don't think it is like you seem).

By the way, some people who are "anti-bible" do have their own spiritual beliefs so it isn't "New Atheism" since they may fall in any category, and then there are Christians who attack other religions, and vise versa.

Everyone criticizes everyone else's religion or belief system, I don't think it has anything to do with atheism, just offering contrasting views on all sides.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
please prove to me anything about Jesus and enrich my bacardi soaked bong ridden useless inner awareness...

yes i am EXACTLY your target for conversion, my soul is ITCHY with torment..

but i know how to read

and i can define a fallacy..

so in order to help me see the light

YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY BRING IT TO THE TABLE...

my patience is not yet expired..

im confident that a true believer will (through the power of the Lamb)
allow me to be convinced by PROOF...

DO IT

im all a quiver

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by AQuestion

I don't understand why you keep equating the truth of the matter of gods not existing as a form of brainwashing? It's the truth. There are no pictures of gods, nor is there any eyewitness testimony(unlike UFOs). It's just all made up, created in the imagination.

Dear trysts,

I don't. What I have consistently said is that forcing children to believe the same as you is abuse. You originally used the term brainwashing, perhaps the meaning of the word has changed. You can look in the dictionary; but, it does not say that teaching spirituality is brainwashing. It is you that seem incapable of dealing with the issues.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by begoodbees

Im interested , but the son of God philosophy is more about all being sons of God .
In relationships a Son of God is more in Dasa Rasa or the mood of service to God . This is the true meaning of that statement.
To have elevated Jesus to Godhood is pure poppy cock nonsense .
Now Jesus can be a partial expansion of the the God Tattva . Or mixed energies.
We here are all expansions of God energy but we are minute and are called jiva tattva whereas God is fully Visnu energy and from that One energy allother energies expand .

Its a wonderfull subject really but I lack the clarity to explain the expanding energies of God . But I do know we are allsons of God and that simply is what Jesus was refering too

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

I am not attacking anyone's beliefs, I said it before and I'll say it again anyone and everyone on this planet should be able to worship any God/or god that they choose, I don't really care who you worship, Was just pointing out that in the past people have killed in the name of their "god" is all.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I personally believe that the world's major religions each contain nuggets of truth and are valid paths to God. There can be fanatical fundamentalism in any religion, even secular humanism.
On the other hand, I do have a problem with the UN World Council of Churches and the watering down of religion to suit the agenda of the NWO and sanitizing all the religions to become pc.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I forgot OP that we should all just agree with Christians(or any other Religious preaching claptrap) and we shouldn't ask questions.
I have been threatened this week on this site with myself and my family being killed by one of your so called Christians so I have not got any patience with all the BS you lot speak.

Believe in what you want but do not come on this website preaching (against T&C) and expect others not to question stuff...this is ATS not a religious site where everyone agrees with you.

Just keep your old Religions to youself please.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
or merely prove it

or at least try..

im aware that im baiting...

but im baiting from a position of strength, which is why my bait dangles UNCHALLENGED.

peace (im almost outta bacardi.. thank GOD i ran outta Jesus just after puberty)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

edit on 10-12-2012 by Anusuia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Cherry0

Even secular humanism is a belief system, sorry to have to inform you.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

If you think there's some kind of atheist "agenda" then you're mistaken.
And its interesting to see you post a Hitchens video after your fellow Christians disgustingly celebrated his death on twitter. I don't mean to paint all of you with the same brush, you've done that to yourself already.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

Ok thanks, now we know it's the Bacardi talkin. Bacardi sure has some strong opinions.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I didn't read the other responses yet, I'll slap my fingers for that....but couldn't help reacting.
Though I admit there are a lot of aggressive atheists out there, that I find exaggerate claims and waste time chasing down Christians.....That that is especially new, I'll counter.

For centuries, many many Theists that have gone around chasing atheists and trying to convince, bully, manipulate, other people to join them! It is somewhat expected that at some point in time they are going to face the same back!

No, it is not every theist, I know many that do not do that, and I also know many atheists that don't do that, but those are not the most visible ones. It is the fanatics of both camps that are always standing out the most.

Eh, the fanatics deserve each other. You each justify your choices of being! In order to be a hero warrior you need evil foes. You should be thanking each other for making this role play possible.
edit on 10-12-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by Cherry0

Even secular humanism is a belief system, sorry to have to inform you.

I never said it was or wasn't, nor did I even mention it. Or am I misunderstanding your reply?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
reply to post by lambs to lions

If you think there's some kind of atheist "agenda" then you're mistaken.
And its interesting to see you post a Hitchens video after your fellow Christians disgustingly celebrated his death on twitter. I don't mean to paint all of you with the same brush, you've done that to yourself already.

Dear Wongbeedman,

LOL. You have spoken to every Christian and we all believe the exact same thing. You must have a lot of free time, I would never claim that I had spoken to every Atheist. If I take the words of a few and attribute them to all, I will be just like you. You have become the thing you hate.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

what other 2000 year old ideas still sound cool?

How bout Plato's Republic. You gotta problem with that? The Vedas also pre-date the Bible. Even Buddhism predates Christianity by about 400 years or so. Gotta problem with the Middle Way?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join