It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Your reasoning is flawed. There are no gods, so to say there are no gods to your children is called 'being honest'. Being honest is an excellent ground upon which your children may learn respect.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm not surprised this religion-centered thread has turned into one huge argument.

The bottom line here is simple. People need to respect the beliefs and opinions of others. I personally believe that any kind of "movement" which promotes disproving (or attempting to disprove) religion is almost as offensive as a group that would promote racism or sexism.

I'm actually not religious at all; I'm technically agnostic, but I still get irritated when someone attacks a particular religion. It's just silly, and it's a fight no one can ever win.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

you do make some good points but I think the point is people atheist or not should not ambush and attack people for their beliefs. Especially on a site like this that was created for debate on topics that are often directly or indirectly involving religion.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Actually this is a problem that is happening all over Conspiracy forums, across the net.

It is tearing the communities apart at the seams. Some seem to promote it. While some go so far in the opposite direction, it closes off debate totally.

And I believe you are completely right. It's an agenda, and sadly it seems to be very effective

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Why does any of this matter?
See the below:

No one is going to really change anyone's mind on the matter unless someone wants to have their mind changed.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

Your reasoning is flawed. There are no gods, so to say there are no gods to your children is called 'being honest'. Being honest is an excellent ground upon which your children may learn respect.

Dear trysts,

You confuse brainwashing with untruth. Do you not see the difference between forcing your beliefs on others and letting them decide and investigate for themselves? Your distinction is not rational and twists the meaning of the two words incorrectly. You imply that it is okay to abuse your children as long as you have the right answer and of course you alone determine what is the right answer for everyone else. Personally I doubt that you are right about everyone of your beliefs, I haven't met anyone who is yet and I don't profess to have perfect knowledge myself.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Dear Druscilla,

And that is how it should be, we should have the right to come to our own conclusions and not be afraid of hearing all sides.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by begoodbees

Religion certainly should be ridiculed out of any place of respect. It's like an oil spill. Some people sit there wondering if it should be cleaned-up(agnostic), others bathe in it(theists), while some start cleaning it up(atheists). Religion is a mess that should have been wiped away long ago, in my view.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

it's not about changing minds it's about not being attacked for using the word God. your picture is hilarious though.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Unfortunately we do not live in a utopian world. We can't control people's passions about a subject. Some folks just simply do not have the where-with-all to learn rational discussion format. The mods try their best to keep things in check around here, but they certainly can't start moderating people's opinions and belief systems.

There are militants on both sides of the religion fence, various threads prove that fact... and we all have to put up with it on both sides. But there certainly is no "conspiracy" going on here at ATS, as the OP is trying to claim, to wipe out those who hold fast to a religious belief.

Hell, this site has militant 911 truthers, militant chemtrailers, militant ufoers, militant democrats, militant republicans, militant birthers, militant doomsayers, etc etc.

It's just the way the ball bounces on this site.

We're a conspiracy site, not hand holders.

link   
I came to ATS because I wanted answers to one single question.............

What does UFO's have to do with what is written in the bible and other religious texts, is there a connection?

I have read the forums that the OP and others have referenced and quite frankly if they stray from my question I leave. I am not here to convert or be converted - I am here to find the knowledge I seek.

The sharpest minds on the net exist on this website - one day, the answer will be forthcoming.

Sometimes I'll feed with the Lambs, sometimes I'll run with the wolves - that's my ATS.

That's my faith.

link   

Love the statement, Drucilla.

Does anyone else see the irony/truth that the venom has been spewed forth from both camps on this topic---only to prove the thread's assertion that intolerance and unabashed personal attacks run rampant on our beloved ATS?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear trysts,

You confuse brainwashing with untruth. Do you not see the difference between forcing your beliefs on others and letting them decide and investigate for themselves? Your distinction is not rational and twists the meaning of the two words incorrectly. You imply that it is okay to abuse your children as long as you have the right answer and of course you alone determine what is the right answer for everyone else. Personally I doubt that you are right about everyone of your beliefs, I haven't met anyone who is yet and I don't profess to have perfect knowledge myself.

I personally teach my children that there is a God but I also have told them about the theory of evolution and other beliefs that i do not share. I am teaching them about the world and our society not just my personal beliefs and opinions. knowledge is the key. With that they will unlock the mysteries on their own just like I did.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

In your view...

So what right do you think you have to berate and attack others who do not feel the same way you do?

Is that not the argument that is always given concerning Christians?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Sorry for jumping in without reading all the comments , but this is an easy one really .
Agenda 21 . boring little prats of people , Paid by Governennt agencies to run agendas that threatened their blatantly boring ideals.
How many people were whipped up in joy under Russian communism ? How many willing behaved as the hive ploughing those fields for some idiots dressed up as an idiot stage player extolling their own virtues as the GReat Leader .
Boring little serfs , all of them .

They all have this in common . They lack so they want the masses to try and fullfill them as Gods , but still they lack and feel bored and empty with nothing filling that space in their heads or hearts . Boring little trollops who then begin their rampages of Hate on the people who failed to make them feel like God ..

Of courses its not the people who failed . Its the boring little trollops themselves, that have failed every time, due to inheritant envy of the Godhead .

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Religion certainly should be ridiculed out of any place of respect. It's like an oil spill. Some people sit there wondering if it should be cleaned-up(agnostic), others bathe in it(theists), while some start cleaning it up(atheists). Religion is a mess that should have been wiped away long ago, in my view.

Are you defining bigotry for us because we already know what it means.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

There are no gods floating about. You don't have to tell your children about that fact. Now if your child comes home and says that people are saying there are gods floating about, then you should tell your children the truth. Gods floating about=false. No gods=true. I don't know how you're going to reason that the above formula is brainwashing?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Dear begoodbees,

I personally teach my children that there is a God but I also have told them about the theory of evolution and other beliefs that i do not share. I am teaching them about the world and our society not just my personal beliefs and opinions. knowledge is the key. With that they will unlock the mysteries on their own just like I did.

Unfortunately, according to trysts, you are abusive for doing so. I, on the other hand, agree with your approach. Why would anyone want to hide the possibilities from their children? We should tell our children what we believe, what others believe and allow them to choose for themselves. Peace.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Good for them I say, We need more of it to counter the sway established churches have over governments and laws.

Where can I find out more?

double post , ats went down as posted....

edit on 10-12-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
"New atheism" is rampant not only on ATS, it's everywhere. And it's scary. I remember a line I once heard say Kathy Griffin: "I'm what you'd call a non-believer. I don't call myself an atheist because frankly I don't want to be part of their club either", to which I completely agree. I'm agnostic more bending towards atheism and I find the whole atheist movement on the US is just as crazy as the Christian extremist movement.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join