It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor
reply to post by AQuestion

You are assuming that men are inherently selfish and will only act benevolent if an invisible man will punish or reward them. That is patently untrue.

We have a long list of Congressional Medal of Honor recipients who died out of interest of the group rather than self-interest (self-interest would demand they let another die).

Perhaps EMTs and Firemen put themselves in danger because some great being is watching them? Please. You don't really believe that do you?

My signature has something about moral behavior. Most of your fellow humans are aboard that train and do not let reward or punishment in a hereafter as the only by-line for doing so.

Dear GreenGlassDoor,

Please go back and read what I said. I did not say that people only do "good" because they believe in a God. That is untrue. I said there are people who do good that don't believe in a God; but, yes, most people are selfish whether they claim to be spiritual or not. Your assumption that all EMTs, Fireman and soldiers are Atheists is also wrong.

As for your signature, most people do act out based on reward and punishment and it has nothing to do with there being a God, it is the definition of selfishness. On the others side, I certainly do not believe that all spiritual believers are unselfish. My last sermon was to call out believers for being selfish with their partners.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts

I don't know a solution to the problem of children raised in a home with people who believe in angels. I guess it is just one of the obstacles in life which children may have to go through

Dear trysts,

I don't look for a solution to children who are raised in homes of bigots, atheists, thieves, liars or a whole slew of bad beliefs. In England they have begun putting cameras in the homes of some to monitor how they raise their families. Recently, one family had their foster children taken away because they belonged to a political party, UKIP, that wants to limit immigration.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

Exactly.

If there is a political agenda to atheism then its objective is secularism, not the extinction of religion.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

As opposed to the atheistic evolution brainwashing they get in public schools?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I don't get offended and I'm not sensitive. I believe that there is an orchestrated agenda. This is still a conspiracy site right? This isn't a thread about anything other than that. The religious vs atheist debate quickly took over, I should have known better.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Lol, you got me on that one.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I wouldn't say atheism is an obstacle to overcome when growing up, unless you've been thoroughly brainwashed to believe so, but I will not argue in favour of the U.S. or U.K. governments invading the home. Brainwashing children seems to me a crime without immediate punishment.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I'm an atheist. I personally couldn't care less what anyone else believes.

That said, I agree 100% that a lot of atheist out there spend way too much time worrying about religion. I have to credit this to them not really being sure about what they believe.

Without a doubt I know there are no gods, heaven, hell or anything like that. I don't want to debate this, just putting it out there. I can say this with confidence.

I don't mention my beliefs unless really pressed in my day to day life, even then I make it clear that I don't wish to talk about it. I've come to terms with my views and accept that others have their own views which I don't care to change.

I really think that the average person claiming to be atheist really doesn't know what they believe. This is why they feel the need to talk about it, or belittle others for their beliefs.

The last and very likely highest percentage are immature. When I was younger and first stopped believing in such things I felt like I was better than others who didn't share my views. I would bash on religion, do pointless things I felt berated religion, and try to alienate myself as much as possible from those who didn't think like me.

Hopefully, with time most of the folks that can't seem to get enough of talking about their lack of faith will find comfort it their views, learn to accept others, and just get on with their life.

edit on 10-12-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Two things: you're agreeing with me.

And, the only person who called them atheists was you. I didn't lay claim to that. Only that these people behave selflessly because it is the right thing to do.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

It is unfortunate that we live in a time when truth of any kind is elusive and evil is running rampant. I am a former Christian myself so I know what you do and why you do it and I respect and sympathize with your plight. The problem is that our public indoctrination system i.e. public schools has convinced many that the most unlikely and improbable answer (evolution) is factual (even though there is nothing but circumstantial evidence to support it and even that is a stretch) and in obscure ways are taught that theists are superstitious fools from a bygone age of ignorance. You will have as much luck convincing them that DNA could not have created itself as they would have convincing you that God is not real.

Even when evidence and common sense are in your corner pride and ignorance will prevent most people from changing their views or excepting that you are allowed to have different views than them. To exacerbate the situation these people believing in survival of the fittest have no ethics and therefore cannot be swayed using ethical arguments. They believe that they are superior to you and therefore you are unfit for survival and are better off dead. Evolution is a tool that evil forces use to belittle the human race and degrade the human psyche.

There is not much we can do about it. In the end all truth will be revealed and we can take comfort in that.
edit on 10-12-2012 by begoodbees because: proof read

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I wouldn't say atheism is an obstacle to overcome when growing up, unless you've been thoroughly brainwashed to believe so, but I will not argue in favour of the U.S. or U.K. governments invading the home. Brainwashing children seems to me a crime without immediate punishment.

Dear trysts,

You wouldn't say it; but, there are plenty of children that grew up in Atheist homes that were just as brainwashed and they didn't like it either. It is not a question of what your or my parents believe, it is a question of how they express their beliefs, whether or not they allow you to examine and choose for yourself. I grew up Catholic and left the church at 12, my mother was outraged; but, I refused to go and she tolerated it. I became an agnostic for over a decade; but, not a lazy one, I investigated many belief sets and chose for myself what I would believe. I did not return to Catholicism. My parents should have told me their beliefs and they should have lived them (which they did by the way) and they should have tried to teach me them and they also should have let me choose for myself (which they did). It is not brainwashing to tell others what you believe, that is a misuse of the term. It is abusive to punish children for not agreeing with you regardless of the issue.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by begoodbees
reply to post by trysts

As opposed to the atheistic evolution brainwashing they get in public schools?

I don't see a problem with teaching religion in schools under the title of social history, folklore, or political history. It's only when it is taught as being true that causes confusion. Evolution is taught as a theory, so once one understands what a theory is then there really is no confusion about it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

Two things: you're agreeing with me.

And, the only person who called them atheists was you. I didn't lay claim to that. Only that these people behave selflessly because it is the right thing to do.

Dear GreenGlassDoor,

No, I made my statement that people could do good and be Atheists before you questioned me on it. I never said that Atheists were all selfish or incapable of doing good. Please define what "the right thing to do is" and why acting unselfishly is rational if one does not believe there is an objective morality?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

It doesn't make sense to me that children are brainwashed by atheism. Atheism is merely a negation of gods. No harm in that.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

edit on 10-12-2012 by trysts because: dbl post

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by CranialSponge

I don't get offended and I'm not sensitive. I believe that there is an orchestrated agenda. This is still a conspiracy site right? This isn't a thread about anything other than that. The religious vs atheist debate quickly took over, I should have known better.

And why do you feel there's a "conspiracy" to eradicate religion specifically here on ATS ? Because there are threads here and there that bite you in the arse, that's why.

If there was a "barrage" of threads spouting the wonderfulness of christianity, you'd be perfectly comfortable with that and this "conspiracy" thread wouldn't even exist.

You are not laying claim to some underground conspiracy going on here at ATS...

You, OP, are just simply whining.

Here are your own words:

New Atheism is running rampant on ATS. It is a growing form of guerrilla warfare designed to attack religion and deceive the masses.

My bold. You view it as "deceiving the masses" because people are spouting things that go against your belief system. A person's opinion is not one of "deceit", but simply one of OPINION based on how they see it.

There is a constant barrage of these anti-religion propaganda threads popping up on this website. Sometimes they hide under the guise of something else; sometimes that are blatant. They almost never have anything to do with an actual conspiracy, alternative news, philosophy, or anything else truly relevant to ATS.

You only see it as a "barrage" because these threads are picking your arse, therefore they stand out like a sore thumb in your mind.

What does bother me is when I see so many people whose entire problem with the above mentioned is based on ignorance. Many times their opinions aren't their opinions at all. Meaning they haven't done any kind of reading or research whatsoever on the subjects.

Right. Because everybody who posts their opinions on every other conspiracy thread on this site is fully informed, researched, and educated on the subject.

My problem is a movement such as this infiltrating these minds and planting seeds of hate...and by doing so, growing their numbers.

Aha ! And now we get down to the crux of what you are TRULY having a problem with. The fear that the atheists are growing in numbers and thus trumping the number of religious followers in your mind... even though 95% of the planet believes in a god of some sort... but somehow you see the atheist growing number as a threat.

I despise these militant New Atheists, they are paramount to religious radicals. ATS would be much better of without them.

And here you are playing god by determining that this "conspiracy" of yours should not be allowed on ATS.

I rest my case, OP.

There is no "conspiracy" to overrun the religious belief of others on ATS.

All you're doing is whining.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

It doesn't make sense to me that children are brainwashed by atheism. Atheism is merely a negation of gods. No harm in that.

Dear trysts,

Now I am really troubled by your words. Brainwashing is forcing someone to accept a belief set regardless of what it is. You are happy with brainwashing as long as it is in keeping with your beliefs. That makes you no different than the people you complain about and actually a little worse as it is hypocritical to ask for one set of rules for you and a different set for others.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Thank you for the (correct) new term for this gang who stalks ATS. I've seen them for years now and they attack people without even KNOWING the victim's spiritual leanings. I had referred to them (offline) as "Militant Evangelist Atheists" as I presumed they stalk forums all over the Internet ... not just ATS.

They PRESUME a lot of stuff incorrectly. They see one keyword in their "attack manual" and they go all out. It's a pity they are so presumptive and judgemental ... and so 180 degrees off the mark in their presumptions sometimes. They make themselves look like fools.

Just ignore them.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

I have debated many people on the subject of evolution and the first thing they do is downplay the theory part and say that theory has a different meaning in science than in other area. Hopefully people here will not be so belligerent. It is a touchy subject and the answers are not clear as is the case with many social issues. I don't think religion should be taught in schools either but it should not be ridiculed and discounted either which is the case intended or not when evolution is taught as the only theory.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Actually, many rational thinkers believe that religion is THE grand conspiracy.

So, it's quite a natural fit to have discussions about religion and atheism here.

I don't see anything wrong with a movement that promotes free thought, rational thinking, the scientific method, and is against brainwashing young children.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join