It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Atheism movement is using ATS as a mouthpiece

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Geez, over 60 stars?

I would argue that ATS is actually being overrun by religious zealots, judging by a lot of posts from these so-called "True believers".

Nice try though. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using logic, kids! There's nothing a Christian fears more than being forced to prove that there's a god, which they simply cannot do. ;-)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Taking sides is for clowns....

Clown.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by vasaga

Perpetuating a complete lie for centuries is fine with you? If you want to conform to, and accept lies then maybe you just have some inner problem with being honest?
First of all, I'm not religious, and I'm anti-crusading, be it religious crusading or atheist crusading. Why do you have to turn around and attack me like that, saying that I want to conform, accept lies and that I'm the one with the problem? Basically putting me in a religious box without knowing anything about me?
This is what I mean. You have a grudge. It's your problem to deal with and as long as you keep pointing fingers at others, it will never be resolved. If you could make peace with yourself, you wouldn't have to put so much energy into hating others. Your hate projected outwards is simply an effect of what you carry inside you. And if you honestly wanted to change anything, you wouldn't resort to aggression since it's pretty obvious it doesn't work.

Do with this what you will. If you think it's BS, your choice.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

As a Agnostic, I would agree that there could be many agendas running rampant on ATS. I have seen this rhetoric all over ATS for a while now. You know how I know, its impossible to have a conversation with these people cause they are so stuck in their ideals and are sooooo anti religion. They are as blind as a Christian or Islamic conservative.

They will reply by saying "its religion that made me spew all my hate and rhetoric" but I'm not buying it.
edit on 10-12-2012 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

You know OP, I'll have to admit your post gave me pause for a minute...

Admittedly, I am somewhat anti-Christian. Not militantly so, but I have been known to be a bit rough on Christianity as a whole. At the same time, I have spent entirely too much time trying to correct gross errors in the understanding of biblical principles and Christian doctrine among the heathen population here.
Since I am a fundamentalist turned atheist, I can argue both sides.

My point being, I could be mistaken at times for being one of these "new atheists", and at other times, I've been accused of being a bible thumper. Whoever this group is, I must say they are doing a pitiful job. There are several knowledgeable ex-Christians here who are going to see right through their "drivel". And several knowledgeable, seasoned, and mature Christians who are going to call them out as well. As you just did.

I guess what I'm saying is, I haven't noticed an overt upswing of this per se since I've been at ATS. It seems it has always been there to a greater or lesser degree. Just as we have gung-ho diehard fundamentalists come and go occasionally. What I have noticed, is a subtle influx of anti-Christian rhetoric from another Abrahamic sect. But I'll leave that be as it isn't the topic here.

At the end of the day, not all Christians are alike, neither are all atheists alike. If what you're saying is true, I don't think they will get far with their agenda. Most of the atheists at ATS aren't interested in belonging to a clique. They're very independent and analytical. The regulars here may fight tooth and nail among themselves, but outsiders with an agenda have a tendency to stick out like a sore thumb, and usually wind up with heathens and Christians both on their case.

S&F for a thought provoking read.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

What's wrong with being anti-religion?

All organized religions are a deceptive form of control.

Do you like to be controlled?

Then enjoy whatever your pastor/priest/imam/rabbi regurgitates.

But don't complain when there are people who think you're full of crap.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of.

- Ezekiel 23:20 (NIV)

See? Even the Bible can be humorous... or rather than its entirety, some specific parts more so.

In all seriousness though, this is a bit sad. How do you solve a conflict that is most likely unsolvable? That is, with the world the way it currently is and the duality that divides us whether it be religion, sexuality, nationality, road you follow, and whatnot, we as humanity cannot disparage these differences and accept one another because there's the DUALITY boundary between us; there can be no unity - oneness - because we're so separate. Two brain hemispheres and more left-brained than right-brained. Two genders. The list goes on... basically wherever duality can be observed (yin-yang).

Perhaps a "higher consciousness" really is necessary for genuine coexistence.

Through my rebellious adolescence which I am still going through, I've been multiple religions. I was raised Baptist and ventured into non-theism when I turned 13 or so and began to ask existential questions due to my situation[s] at the time which in turn led me to later on venture through: agnosticism, atheism, deism, pantheism, satanism, and that's really it. Currently, since the end of freshmen year which throughout I overtly displayed my atheist title, I have no religious identifier. I just essentially believe in a "creator" or "Source" and that's really it. I don't believe in hell and if it does exist, I believe it to be temporary, and escapable.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What does bother me is when I see so many people whose entire problem with the above mentioned is based on ignorance. Many times their opinions aren't their opinions at all. Meaning they haven't done any kind of reading or research whatsoever on the subjects. This is poor grounds to stand on for any debate, not just a religious one. I see a correlation with these "sponges' who have soaked up the New Atheism agenda with little or no research of their own. Then, turn around like good little soldiers and regurgitate the same, unfounded nonsense.

wife is a Catholic school teacher and my kids attend the same school

So...you're indoctrinating your children into your religion. Did you give them time to read or research the subject or are they just sponges whom have soaked up your indoctrination with little or no research of their own? Will they preach the words of your religion? What separates them (and you, for that matter, most likely) from what you're complaining about here?

Oh wait....is that different or something?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I try to always keep an open mind. I'm not an atheist, I'm agnostic. I'm not sure if there is a god with out a shadow of a doubt but I do tend to shy away from the religious aspect because science makes way more sense to me. I don't mean any disrespect but when I see threads being highjacked by the highly religious giving bible quotes to justify anything, then when we try to explain our point of view and all we get is THIS I can't help but come to the aid of the non-believer and can be a bit of a Dick about it too, I apologize for that

I love history and try to study it from all angles and there is one deniable fact. Religion, not spirituality, religion has been a thorn in humanity's side for ever. If you can take a peak at my signature it explains a bit how I feel about religion.

Who cares if the one you pray to is a big 'ol dude sitting on a cloud with his big white beard of some prophet or nature and the stars. Believing in one doesn't prove the other to be wrong. You seem like a pretty down to earth guy and I don't think this is an issue with you but others on the other hand are blind to anything else, be it religious or atheist or otherwise, and that's were trouble starts, closed mindedness.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

I don't mind people opinions about religion. Its the I know everything self proclaimed wisdom that bothers me about atheists. I'm not controlled and I'm able to talk about religion and still treat others beliefs with respect. I have had a lot of help from my local church, and I'm not Christian. I really really don't like generalizations that atheists make about people who hold religious beliefs.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Lambs.........being a christian, perhaps you should be thankful for these upstarts because it will teach you patience, forebearance, forgiveness, humility,Understanding,and eventually lead you to a true state of agape for every living creature.....There IS a reason for everything under and over the sun.......it was planned that way.

So i say relax,and meet these antagonists with open, calm, and loving discourse.....
The undercurrent of this time in history is the tearing down of the worlds religions...ALL of them, and replacing them with a story thats more convenient for the Masters.
We are still under the power and the machinations of ROME.....
I reckon well get something that the Vatican merges with.....and some sort of Fascism for goverments.
maybe well get the blue beam aliens to believe in instead....??( Catholic church recgnizes aliens.lately...)( Also one of the biggest investors in the worlds large telescopes.....who knew?)
Whatever comes, i am sure Revelations will give you an idea what you may expect regardless of whos who.....
If not, you might try Morals and Dogma.....by Pike.

edit on 10-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by trysts

So it is a lie because the all-knowing tryst says it is?

I am not Christian, but that is the pot calling the kettle..

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JDmOKI

And I don't like people who treat atheists like crap because we don't toe the line like they do.

I've heard plenty of nasty things uttered about atheists by Christians over the years.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Are you serious? Go to the religious or spiritual beliefs forum and see how many topics are destroyed by people saying "your god/gods are false and your religion is fake" i can bet its prevalent in every thread.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Years ago before I came to ATS i posted for years on another forum, yes there are people on the internet that trash everything Christian, and they are not always atheist but sometimes pretend to be atheist.

I spent a lot of time in atheist chat rooms and on their forums.

I see a bigger picture, and I do think there is a concerted effort to bring down and attack specifically Christianity.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Tell me, how are you changing the way people hold such dialogs? Are you just anti-religion flaming anyone, or are you leading the way on how religious people and atheists speak to each other?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with teaching children religion. Just like there is nothing wrong with teaching children basic gender identities. The world of a child should be a simple one, so they can play, learn, and grow. It should be one filled with magic, and wonder - whether it be your father dressing up as Santa Claus, or what have you.

Adult life and teenage life should be filled with introspection, and finding out who you are. That is when life gets complicated, and that is where you should be looking to become your own person - whether it is firming up a faith, or changing something completely.

What is evil, is denying children the opportunity to grow and learn, and become introspective. Giving them religion is not evil.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Ok sure, you're assuming all Christians care about trying to prove the existence of God to people like you. They don't. I'd prefer to leave you to your beliefs. I love how Atheists keep bringing up Christians and fear in the same sentence. I'm not scared of anything, I'm comfortable with my faith.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

You make valid points that I can tell you I agree with. I am aware of the prophecies and their relation to the time we are living in. I do think we will see the condemnation of Christianity in our lifetime.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by vasaga

Originally posted by trysts
reply to post by vasaga

Perpetuating a complete lie for centuries is fine with you? If you want to conform to, and accept lies then maybe you just have some inner problem with being honest?
First of all, I'm not religious, and I'm anti-crusading, be it religious crusading or atheist crusading. Why do you have to turn around and attack me like that, saying that I want to conform, accept lies and that I'm the one with the problem? Basically putting me in a religious box without knowing anything about me?
This is what I mean. You have a grudge. It's your problem to deal with and as long as you keep pointing fingers at others, it will never be resolved. If you could make peace with yourself, you wouldn't have to put so much energy into hating others. Your hate projected outwards is simply an effect of what you carry inside you. And if you honestly wanted to change anything, you wouldn't resort to aggression since it's pretty obvious it doesn't work.

Do with this what you will. If you think it's BS, your choice.

Hilarious! You must have forgotten that you read my first comment in this thread, and then you said I was on a crusade because of some "inner" problem I have that I won't confront. The religious people don't live inside me, and are not my imagination. They are an external problem. They believe in things that don't exist, which would not be so bad if they didn't have churches on every corner conducting bizarre ceremonies with their children by their side. Then they get into politics, creating schizms based upon angels and demons. Their children go through the brainwashing that grandma may burn in hell for eternity, but you shouldn't worry about it because you won't. This is probably why it's so simple for people not to care if their country is bombing other countries, because they have been brought up to neglect the most extreme notions of suffering--like eternal suffering-- so long as it's not happening to them in their country.

I didn't say you were religious, I said you were dishonest. Ignoring the problem of religious people is like ignoring a tumor.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join