It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If you don't like it then just turn it off"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'm generally a "live-and-let-live" kinda person. I'm pretty peaceful and try to let other people be themselves. But I have dealt with this for so long, and it just keeps getting worse, that I just NEED to vent. I don't WANT to be judgemental towards the entertainment industry; I'd rather we each do our own thing on separate sides of the playground, so-to-speak. But how can I not react when it's constantly IN MY FACE?

Most pop music is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Not all, but the vast majority. You know the ones: they have the words "tonight" "club" and "sexy" in the lyrics somewhere. They have the generic techno beat. They "feature" a rapper, even if the primary singers normally don't do rap. They usually have TMI about the singer's sex life (or just brag about themselves).

So dear Nicki Minaj, Black-Eyed Peas, Kesha, Flo Rida, Rihanna, Pitbull, David Guetta, etc.

Oh my God. Shut. The Hell. Up.

I don't care about your nasty, pathetic, low-self-esteem sex lives in the back of some dirty night club.

"If you don't like it then just turn it off!"

A big "screw you" to anyone who's ever said that. Right. Because it's just that easy to get away from pop music. It's not like it's playing over the speakers at grocery stores, fast food restaurants, department stores, amusement parks and any other public place I forgot to mention. I have an idea: Why don't we replace the pop music with death metal and see how long YOU last without pulling your hair out, huh?

(Btw, you people who hate Christmas music and complain that it's everywhere this time of year: this is what that's like, except ALL YEAR LONG.)

Why does there always need to be some kind of music in the first place? I just want to buy my groceries or eat a hamburger in peace. Why is this too much to ask?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Dashin' through the snow, Yo
On a one horse open sleigh, Hey...
Through the fields we'll go, Yo
Smashin' bitches all the way...

I know what you're saying.. To me it's also like having a sports show on the tv in the background. I can be sitting there ignoring the tv entirely, as I always do.. but as soon as it's that whiny rappy god awful crap they call music, OR that incessant tedious drone of idiots throwing a ball at each other and trying not to get hit, my skin crawls off and I fumble for the remote to put on anything else.. anything.. even parliament question time..

I'd rather hear them idiots than listen to .. Why is that idiot minaj even famous again?

I swear these clowns just pop up over night, as if they've emerged from the chrysalis fully formed, with a plethora of fans ready to suckle on their teet, and feed their ego until they are so smug that they suck the air out of a room when they walk in.

Where do they come from? "Hey look at me I've got a yellow wig on!" Ooh she must be famous.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by thepixelgarden

Whilst I agree that most of today's pop is degenerate garbage, you should probably channel your energy into something more productive...

And buy yourself an iPod and load it up with Bach, Mozart, Brahms, etc. and have it in your ears constantly, just like the kids today
. Or just white noise if you prefer.
edit on 12/9/2012 by xenthuin because: Adder

edit on 12/9/2012 by xenthuin because: Typo

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
What if you have a three year old girl and you dont want her to hear Rhianna yelling "sex in the air, I love the smell of it"? Thats disgusting and they play this trash on the radio. The young girl will hear it on a radio in a taxi or on a bus. In a store. On a commercial. What does the parent do? Buy ear plugs?

Imagine how muslims feel about Lady Gaga or Rhianna or the million other madonna shock for the sake of it clones. Where does it end? They are always trying to up each other.

Society is decayed. It is diseased and most people cant even see it.
edit on 9-12-2012 by spangledbanner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spangledbanner

This is very true, and sad... Exposing kids to it is way worse than just a personal preference.

But, as for what to do, I always recommend voting with your money... That is, if some place is putting on music you don't want your kids to hear, then you should avoid spending your money at that place if possible.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I used to work in a small cube in a small office at the base where I live and they decided that they needed "muzak" piped in every office, which of course was automated.
It played the same crap songs, with the same repetitive lyrics, over and over and over.
It got to the point where I was "hearing" them in my head every night when I was trying to sleep.
Me and another person in the office petitioned the CIO to have a volume (mute) knob installed, something that other offices had but was missing in ours.
After about 6 months without any action, I decided enough was enough.
During lunch time, when most people were gone, I climbed onto a chair, pushed up the ceiling tile and cut the speaker cable.
Seriously, it was almost like psychological warfare

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Underneath the visage of mainstream music lies the more sophisticated and enthralling acts. Sadly, most music that appeals to the masses has been packaged into a nice ear friendly commodity and force fed to us!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
No seriously; if you don't like it, turn it off.

Please please please turn it off. Imagine if everyone did.

Who here deserves blame, the people making this stuff or the person sitting there listening to it? Why put yourself through such torture? So you can endure more of it when it happens again? It isn't their fault that we're buying it. You don't like it? Turn it off. It's really that easy. Only that will end the perpetuation of this crap they sell—rather, crap we buy—as culture.

edit on 9-12-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I listen to different internet radio and sat radio, usually downtempo jazz stuff, if I like a song, Ill write down the name and download it. I dont even have a clue most of the time who made the music i am listening to but i like it and thats why its in my mix. The mp3 and usb inputs on car stereos these days have been a blessing. I hear what your saying, i dont even know who any of those people are. You have to make your own scene wherever you are, you dont have to include that mainstream type of stuff in your scene, there are plenty of alternatives....somafm.com

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I hear you. As a musician, I find that I rarely listen to the radio stations anymore. My Ipod is filled with all kinds of music to suit my mood. Everything from Chill Out, New Age, Celtic, Folk, Classical - to ACDC. Yep, I've got it all.

Blame shows like American Idol for pop music...pop music is all about the "look" and not so much about talent.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by xenthuin

reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

That the thing. I have TONS of music that I prefer to listen to. Could fill up several iPods. And I often do find myself pulling out the earbuds when I'm in public, alone. But it would be rude to do it while with my family. Also, chewing food with earbuds in just feels awkward.

But more than that, I don't want to listen to music ALL the time. Sometimes I just want to be in the natural ambience of the world. Man-made entertainment shouldn't be mandatory.

One day I went down to Sonic's Drive-Thru on a rainy day, to eat outside (yeah I'm weird, but I'm ok with it). It was nice just sitting there, listening to the cars as they passed by on the street, the gentle tapping of the rain on the ground, etc. It was quiet. I was happy. Well I guess I was the first "outside" customer of the day and they realized that they forgot to turn on their "Sonic Radio" because suddenly Justin Bieber was trying to serenade me. I hadn't realized just how much I was enjoying the peaceful environment until it was no longer peaceful.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Hey, I think that you may have possibly not read through the entire rant. The whole point of my post was that I'm NOT choosing to listen to it.

Oh! Unless you were addressing "us" as an entire culture, as opposed to my specific post. If that's the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
edit on 9-12-2012 by thepixelgarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

No I completely agree with your rant. But you said 'screw you' to those who say "If you don't like it then just turn it off." And I'm saying really, just turn it off, turn it all off, that's the only way they'll listen. In my opinion, "if you don't like it, turn it off" is the best approach. We should perhaps promote it instead of demoting it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And hey, I made it through an entire rant about pop music without referencing Justin Bieber...

Oops. I did it again.

Seriously though. Pop music makes my skin crawl.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Oh ok, I get what you're saying now.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

I can relate, at the gas pump there is a speaker with a country song, i go inside for a drink, same song, more speakers. I felt like I was being brainwashed just getting some gas. I like my peace and quiet too. But I find when Im out in the country theres always some bass boom in the far distance.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenthuin

Whilst I agree that most of today's pop is degenerate garbage, you should probably channel your energy into something more productive...

And buy yourself an iPod and load it up with Bach, Mozart, Brahms, etc. and have it in your ears constantly, just like the kids today
. Or just white noise if you prefer.
edit on 12/9/2012 by xenthuin because: Adder

edit on 12/9/2012 by xenthuin because: Typo

Have you ever waited in a car and the car next to you is blaring Mozart, Indian music, and Japanese songs like they were hip hop with bass on at full max....

Makes you want to plug your ears.

I'd rather hear the hip hop.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Actually, I would love the Death Metal!!!

I do get what your saying though, and agree to a point. I don't need to hear it at the grocery store, the mall, and surprisingly coming from the speakers on buildings as I walk through our small shopping district.
Whatever happened to just quiet??
I promise it won't kill you.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I have to agree that most modern pop music is trash, it is played over and over on the radio stations and tv and in shops etc and seems to brainwash young people who cannot see that what they are listening to is junk.

Have you ever listened to the words of some of these modern songs? Who writes this rubbish? And have you ever heard when modern day so called pop stars sing live? If you have then you will know what I mean.

Whats happen to real musicians in real bands playing real instruments with real talent?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I vote for Death Metal, actually Black Metal would be better.

<<   2  3 >>

join