Walmart rent-a-cop shoots and kills shoplifter.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtOfTrance

As you are here longer you will see that titles and stories don't always correlate. I pointed out earlier that for the sake of the community this occurred in, a deputy is a good thing. Sheriffs are elected officials and deputies are their responsibility. They are held accountable easier because of this.

On that note, I suggest though you read some of the linked reports. It paints a different picture. The officer in question at this point doesn't have much solid footing, but the lady who passed, had many chances to avoid this outcome. It was ugly from both parties.

Time will tell and play out anything. Failure to stop, assaulting an officer (allegedly and I believe it wasn't the lady who was shot), theft, and evading an officer. These all are not looking good for the victim. On the other hand, the officer chose to pursue what could be petty theft. Again, it is a mess.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

yeah true,as with all cases we just have to "see how this pans out"
but the use of deadly/excessive force seems to be the new trend this year among the majority of police officers.
having had my own BS experience with the law this year,I can justify that.
like theyre being trained to shoot first ask questions later
what happened to "innocent until proven guilty"

Also on a side conspiracy,why does it seem like its always black people that are being targeted?
Almost all the excessive/deadly force videos and stories I've seen being posted on ATS this year have all been blacks as the victims.
suspicious or coincidence?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Bummer for all involved it seems.
While I do not generally endorse much of the police behavior we see nowadays, this one I cannot condemn.
Police officers often work for their city via a private contract with businesses.
In this aspect, they are working overtime and the merchant is paying the salary.
This is not uncommon during the shopping season, as it is a way of knowing the merchants police response will be quicker than placing a 911 call.
One woman lost her life, children were put in danger, others were in danger, and maybe someone possibly made an error, who knows???
Many people have been affected by these actions.
The biggest bummer of all, all of this could have been avoided if the criminals were not criminals.
Bottom line, you die while commiting a crime, good!
Just too bad more cops did'nt get caught in between a bankers car door ehh?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Why don't we just do away with the courts and judges?

After all, we know that nobody ever gets wrongfully accused of a crime, right?

Jay walking = shoot em

speeding ticket = shoot em

late paying your internet bill = shoot em

effin idiots

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtOfTrance

what happened to "innocent until proven guilty"

That's a common misconception.

You are innocent during your trial. Everything pre trial you are guilty. Hense the justification for bail.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Shoot first, ask questions later. Thats the American way isn't it?

No, it isn't. It may seem like that if you think America is really like what's on the news stories. We are a big country with a lot of people. It's a little more complicated than a two line quip. If you try to break into my house for instance, i wouldn't even ask a question afterwords. I would just shoot. But that's because I don't know if your armed or not. See we have these things called Laws. Someone people follow them, some people don't. If it makes you feel better about yourself to make things as simple as possible so you can understand them, well that's just fine too. To each their own i say.

V

V

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicWand67

Jay walking = shoot em

effin idiots

Let me guess.
If you came home to find your house robbed you would call the cops, and then ask them to beat the culpret to a pulp. Wouldn't you?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
reply to post by g146541

Jay walking = shoot em

effin idiots

The criminals in question gave up the right to a trial by most probably putting the officers life in danger, they already put a couple of childrens lives in danger as well.
There was no wrongful accusations in this case, this was in the commision of a crime!
Do you think the dead criminal would have died that day if she had decided not to be a criminal that day and just stayed at home with her children?
Effin idiots indeed.
If you are killed while you are in the commision of a crime, good.
The other things you listed are "infractions", not real big time crimes.
However they can spiral out of control if the person being charged and or pursued does something stupid.
I believe that is what happened.
But either way, if the criminal would have just stayed home, she would still be breathing.
Bad situation for all.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

'She was just a perfect mom', sure she was. Another moron off the street who tried to run this guy down while fleeing, even if she didn't she broke the law and if he said stop and she didn't I think shooting is warranted. Tell shop lifters they'll be shot on sight then people won't be trying to rob things very much now will they? I have no sympathy for a shop lifter I think it says a lot about your moral compass and clearly this woman wasn't starving for her next meal.
edit on 10-12-2012 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Officer should moved out the way..really.

All those cameras but the department would said...justified!!!

He was so-called "in fear of his life" sure ok

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Also this from the article: 'He fired, striking Frey in the neck. She died at an apartment complex in the 1300 block of Greens Parkway minutes afterward.'

So actually this woman died because her dumb ass driver didn't bring her to the hospital because she was afraid to get caught. Again in some circumstances I'd see a problem with this... not here. Also anyone know what she was trying to steal?
O and also this from the article: 'Court documents, meantime, reveal that Shelly Frey wasn’t even supposed to be at a Walmart. Earlier this year she pleaded guilty to stealing shirts and a package of meat, and agreed to avoid Walmart stores as part of a plea agreement.'

So she was also in another violation because she's a repeat offender. Should have listened to the court and not gone back. Karma is a bitch.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Lol
Perfect daughter...
Anyway, that being said, the truth should be on the security footage if ever viewed...
A while ago in my neighborhood a young shop lifter was shot by a cop in the back while running from walmart... The cop got away with it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
What a bunch of Draconian Nazi's. Have you people really been brain washed that bad by Walmart and corporate greed that you would kill to protect some cheap made in China surplus goods?

Or are you just so poor and scared after losing your homes and your jobs that you're willing to shoot someone over the last cookie in the cookie jar?

You people, who support this shooting, really are disturbed imo.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I just don't get why this man would Moonlight doing the same fecking job. I have no doubt that it is dangerous and injurious to health being a policeman, yet here you have this man going and using the skills when he's off duty, has he no home to go to?
Between the drivers seat and the door? an experienced officer putting himself in that position, and even less so when he is a security guard. He fired into a car full of women and children, if he knew they were shoplifters, he also would know the entourage before they left the building, unless he wasn't told, or was not party to what went on in the building. That is a big problem it should never have got to the scenario we are given, how'd they get out of the building in the first place? you know how it works, security is inside near the door/s, cctv man does the eyeballing, and they should be in communication. Was he outside and was told almost nothing, while toting a gun? still makes no sense, yet it happened, and someone was killed. God help the mother of the girl, she's not even sure that her daughter was killed unlawfully.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
What a bunch of Draconian Nazi's. Have you people really been brain washed that bad by Walmart and corporate greed that you would kill to protect some cheap made in China surplus goods?

Or are you just so poor and scared after losing your homes and your jobs that you're willing to shoot someone over the last cookie in the cookie jar?

You people, who support this shooting, really are disturbed imo.

I find it disturbing too, and look where I live, where at one time there may have been armed officers on duty at big malls, but they were always regular police on active duty, and in groups, a big difference. In fact Walmart had another death last month, but not by shooting and somewhere in the takedown and everything is supposed to be under review, and where a Walmart spokesperson used exactly the same reasoning as you.
Looks like words are just words for these corporations.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I just don't get why this man would Moonlight doing the same fecking job. I have no doubt that it is dangerous and injurious to health being a policeman, yet here you have this man going and using the skills when he's off duty, has he no home to go to?
Between the drivers seat and the door? an experienced officer putting himself in that position, and even less so when he is a security guard. He fired into a car full of women and children, if he knew they were shoplifters, he also would know the entourage before they left the building, unless he wasn't told, or was not party to what went on in the building. That is a big problem it should never have got to the scenario we are given, how'd they get out of the building in the first place? you know how it works, security is inside near the door/s, cctv man does the eyeballing, and they should be in communication. Was he outside and was told almost nothing, while toting a gun? still makes no sense, yet it happened, and someone was killed. God help the mother of the girl, she's not even sure that her daughter was killed unlawfully.

Have you ever had medical bills to pay? Have you ever tried to pu a couple of kids through college?
Who are you to question a man working hard. And yes a police officer doing security work on the side makes perfect sense.

Not all stores have a police office at each door. No a $9/hr renta cop isn't going to physically latch onto someone.

None of this makes any difference. The instant she tried to run over a human, she ratcheted things up the attempted man slaughter category. If her cohort had driven her to the nearest medical facility or called 911 on her goverment subsidized cell phone, there would not have been a death.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a few links regarding cops and moonlighting it seems laws and customs and rules vary by state to state and are compounded by if the officer is in his "jurisdiction" or not and weather or not they obtained permission from their boss to do such moonlighting but i figured these links could help explain things

www.aele.org...

articles.philly.com... concerning philidelphia specificly

www.policeone.com... this one talks about potental civil liabilities involved with "moonlighting"

also it seems that if they wear their uniform they get time and a half and its considered over time pay so that also plays a factor depending on if they are in uniform or not

from the last link:

A job in law enforcement can offer various opportunities to earn extra income outside the routine of responding to citizens' calls or working patrol. Police agencies often allow officers to work outside their normal hours as security officers for venues ranging from banking institutions, retail establishments, concert and sporting events to local flea markets. For some officers, these extra hours can mean the difference between living week to week and having the extra cash to pay down their debts. However, working security details, or "secondary employment," is not without some risk, particularly when the officer and secondary employer have a minimal agreement that merely states in exchange for the officer working so many hours as security, the employer will pay X amount of dollars. Many times the agreement lacks any delineation as to who is responsible for insuring and/or indemnifying the officer in the event the officer is successfully sued for the officer's actions and/or inactions during the secondary employment. The issue of civil liability is further complicated when the law enforcement agency lacks any knowledge of the officer's secondary employment.

www.aele.org...

www.theppsc.org...

www.masc.sc...

www.mtas.tennessee.edu...

www.ncjrs.gov...

www.policechiefmagazine.org...

www.aele.org...

all of these links pertain to cops moonlighting so i hope this helps clear things up

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

'She was just a perfect mom', sure she was. Another moron off the street who tried to run this guy down while fleeing, even if she didn't she broke the law and if he said stop and she didn't I think shooting is warranted. Tell shop lifters they'll be shot on sight then people won't be trying to rob things very much now will they? I have no sympathy for a shop lifter I think it says a lot about your moral compass and clearly this woman wasn't starving for her next meal.

A rubbish piece of work from you, she wasn't the driver..... hey man shoot down that Jumbo jet, there are shoplifters in it, it amounts to the same thing, you don't even want to comprehend how it got to the supposed circustances in the first place.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Just imagine the scene if it would have been one of those flash mobs while this cop was on duty.

Clearly this woman was treated unfairly by the Justice system and should have had her hands removed when she was a known repeat shoplifter thus saving her life in the long run.
Once again crime does not pay when you stink at it.

Just the other day our Wall-Mart had lots of cops in and out due to picking up shoplifters.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

Originally posted by smurfy

Have you ever had medical bills to pay? Have you ever tried to pu a couple of kids through college?
Who are you to question a man working hard. And yes a police officer doing security work on the side makes perfect sense.

Not all stores have a police office at each door. No a $9/hr renta cop isn't going to physically latch onto someone.

None of this makes any difference. The instant she tried to run over a human, she ratcheted things up the attempted man slaughter category. If her cohort had driven her to the nearest medical facility or called 911 on her goverment subsidized cell phone, there would not have been a death.

" If her cohort had driven her to the nearest medical facility or called 911 on her goverment subsidized cell phone, there would not have been a death."

Who said all that?
Besides you miss the point entirely, you do not have armed security on a shopping mall, unless there is a co-ordinated chain of command who are all responsible, be they regular police or not. You do not have unarmed security unless there is a co-ordinated chain of command and all are responsible. I can make no sense out of the rest of what you say, as it belongs in the hearsay.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join