It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart rent-a-cop shoots and kills shoplifter.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

I cannot tell if you are being facetious. His job, moonlighting as a security officer, didn't call for his actions. His duty as an officer of the law, off-duty or not, did. His actions were not the best and it is easy for us playing armchair theorist to see that. It did however all transpire because she chose that path. The outcome should have been different though. Again, easy for us to say here in the comfort of our homes and not in the midst of it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I don't think it's fair for anyone to pass judgement on the security guards actions in this story. We were not there and we do not know what happened in its entirety so instead of people complaining about a police state hold your thoughts and opinions. What I will say is that reading one news story it suggests that the guard was between the car door and the suspect and he feared he would be run over therefore one could argue the use of deadly force may have been justified.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

His job, moonlighting as a security officer, didn't call for his actions. His duty as an officer of the law, off-duty or not, did.

I disagree, the fact that he was off-duty is paramount to the amount of authority he had to pursue the suspects. He was on duty as a security guard and as such he should have followed the procedures and protocols of that job.

He never should have laid a finger on the suspects vehicle. The moment that he opened the car door he was overstepping his authority and was behaving as a vigilante.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Why in the hell would anybody working in a Walmart be carrying a freakin' gun?! This is way out of hand.

you're right law abiding need to be able to protect themselves and their property from the 'redistributers'

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Revelations21

Yeah, you're right. Maybe they can string her up out in front of the store as a reminder.

Policemen so cherish their status as keepers of the peace and protectors of the public that they have occasionally been known to beat to death those citizens or groups who question that status.
-David Mamet

I know there were many good policemen who died doing their duty. Some of the cops were even friends of ours. But a cop can go both ways.
-Martin Scorsese

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I can't remember how many times I shop lifted when I was young.
Can't remember how many times I smashed windows or done any other relatively small petty crime or vandalism, just for fun or thrills or whatever.

Yes, it's wrong to shop lift. But what's worse, shop lifting or killing a person?
The use of deadly force should only be considered in life threatening situations, in my opinion.
You see a lot of these stories coming from the US and it's sad really, for a country who models itself as home of brave, land of the free. Seems to me like there's very few brave people out there, and free, well, who's free?
But this will definitely be used as an excuse to call out the whole gun thing, should the people be armed?
I know he wasn't just "people", but a law enforcement officer. Still, it will be used in debates against the guns.
I'm not from the US and I don't live there either, but I'm all for the citizens being armed.
What I'm not for is the killing of shop lifters or any other petty crimes which we have laws for.
It's my opinion that the officer should be made an example.

Rest in peace to the victim, who got shot in the neck.

Maybe the day that your daughter or mother or sister or grandmother gets shot in the neck, maybe that day you wont be such a smart ass (goes out to the smart asses).

These sort of stories make me not want to go visit the US, EVER.
Imagine just visiting a Wall mart for the first time (never been in one of them before) and getting shot because some John Rambo was firing at a woman who stole a T-shirt.

Only in America.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ParaSpy2012
I can't remember how many times I shop lifted when I was young.
Can't remember how many times I smashed windows or done any other relatively small petty crime or vandalism, just for fun or thrills or whatever.

Yes, it's wrong to shop lift. But what's worse, shop lifting or killing a person?
The use of deadly force should only be considered in life threatening situations, in my opinion.
You see a lot of these stories coming from the US and it's sad really, for a country who models itself as home of brave, land of the free. Seems to me like there's very few brave people out there, and free, well, who's free?
But this will definitely be used as an excuse to call out the whole gun thing, should the people be armed?
I know he wasn't just "people", but a law enforcement officer. Still, it will be used in debates against the guns.
I'm not from the US and I don't live there either, but I'm all for the citizens being armed.
What I'm not for is the killing of shop lifters or any other petty crimes which we have laws for.
It's my opinion that the officer should be made an example.

Rest in peace to the victim, who got shot in the neck.

Maybe the day that your daughter or mother or sister or grandmother gets shot in the neck, maybe that day you wont be such a smart ass (goes out to the smart asses).

These sort of stories make me not want to go visit the US, EVER.
Imagine just visiting a Wall mart for the first time (never been in one of them before) and getting shot because some John Rambo was firing at a woman who stole a T-shirt.

Only in America.

You, being a criminal, I can see why you would side with criminals.

Glad you an not planning on coming the the US. We have enough people breaking laws and expecting no consequences for disrespecting the laws.

She had great friends, leaving her to die in the car in an apartment parking lot. I bet they didn't help because they knew they might be seen as part of the crime.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's not about a shoplifter.
It's not about a cop overstepping his bounds.

It's about attempting to kill an officer with an automobile.
Everything that transpired before the starting of the engine is irrevelant.
Once you start that engine and put it in gear to drive through the officer to 'get away', it's a new crime. Did he do anything before hand to give her the impression that he was going to harm her? If no then she has no justification to drive over him.

At that instant he has the right to defend his life at the expense of her life.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm not sure I like the way you're trying to portray this incident.
The woman is a thief who attempted to flee, assulting a police officer in the process.

If this person wasn't stealing, she wouldn't be dead.
Period. End of story.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You, being a criminal, I can see why you would side with criminals.

Did you even read my post correctly?
Where did I say I was a criminal or side with the criminals. You're a liar.
I said when I was young. If you didn't, then you haven't lived. I have stories to tell.
From stealing a chocolate bar when I was young or smashing some derelict building windows to I'm a criminal and side with the criminals, is a giant leap my friend.
Think before posting next time, what's the point of your comment?
She should have been caught and sent to court, not executed in the parking.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think free will decisions have consequences, she made a free will choice to do several BAD things, the off duty Police officer (not a 9.00 hr security hack) was trying to prevent someone who broke the law from leaving the premises, he responded to a minor violation that became a major violation, did he have to shoot her, I don't know, I wasn't there, but does anyone have to do the stupid crap they do every day either that have bad consequences?...
I know many people who break the law everyday and put other peoples live at risk for there own gain or personal agenda, I know many off duty police officers that work as Security they all carry a gun because they are licensed to do so. Why do people kill defenseless animals for sport? He was acting in the moment that he was presented with by her actions. I don't feel sorry for her one bit, he on the other hand took a life and will have that consequence of his actions to deal with, If I am him I would focus on the fact that I probably saved the lives of others from being destroyed by her. I feel sorry for her kids that they had to live it, but maybe this was best for them. if she was so eager to flee who is to say once she got out of the parking lot that when pursued by 5 cop cars she crashes into a family of 4 and kills them and her passengers?

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The 'small' crime of shop lifting is not small at all. Many of the regular repeat shop lifers actually take thousands a month in goods. This is the reason that you and I do not have a living wage. When we have to pay higher and higher prices compared to income do to crime.

I get tired of everyone thinking we should let theirs walk. But the issue her is not that, it is the RUNNING from a uniformed officer who commands you to stop! That can lead to all kinds of danger for others and is not a small issue.

So most of you think he should have just let her run.
When he assumed opening the door and being there would stop her and she decided to risk killing him...that does not bother anyone it seems.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
Why in the hell would anybody working in a Walmart be carrying a freakin' gun?! This is way out of hand.

you're right law abiding need to be able to protect themselves and their property from the 'redistributers'

Because you have poor reading comprehension skills. We can go real slow so maybe all those who also failed reading comprehension will get it.

"A Harris County Sheriff’s deputy shot and killed a shoplifting suspect who was trying to flee from a Walmart Thursday night."

Moving on we learn that the Sheriff's deputy was "clearly marked in uniform as a Harris County deputy. And identified himself as the suspects were leaving the establishment."

So no it wasn't some Walmart worker brandishing a weapon at work; educate yourself before you open your mouth sometimes.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
The 'small' crime of shop lifting is not small at all. Many of the regular repeat shop lifers actually take thousands a month in goods. This is the reason that you and I do not have a living wage. When we have to pay higher and higher prices compared to income do to crime.

Which, according to one report (I believe it is the third article I linked on the first page) found out that she had a plea deal stating to never enter a store owned by Walmart ever again. She is a repeating thief. The officer of course had no idea of this fact and his actions and choices have the appearance of "over-the-top". However, the officer in question is said to have his uniform on (as a deputy) and identified himself as such (not as a security guard). It is also reported that he was responding to a suspected crime that was reported.

I can't condone the officer's actions but we cannot ignore the actions that led to this outcome in my opinion.
edit on 10-12-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Reminds of the time an off-duty cop accosted me at Wal-Mart because I had bought a big item and did not have my receipt out to show the person at the door.

I ended up going to the local cops and reporting it. I doubt it went anywhere but the guy is lucky I didn't punch his lights out. I avoid Wal-Mart nowadays.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It seems a large majority of posts keep calling him a "security guard" when he was actually an off duty cop in uniform and correctly identified himself as such. The door was flung open and she threw it in reverse hoping to knock him down and or injure him mortally or not.

WalMart commented: "We hire off duty officers to provide security to some of our stores. While we have policies in place for our associates to disengage from situations that might put them or others in harm's way, off-duty officers working at a WM store are authorized to act in accordance with their department's code of conduct." Daily Mail UK

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
I disagree, the fact that he was off-duty is paramount to the amount of authority he had to pursue the suspects. He was on duty as a security guard and as such he should have followed the procedures and protocols of that job.

His oath of office doesn't turn on and off. It is still up in the air about what capacity he was operating under. The news reports say he was "clearly identified" by his deputy uniform and he presented himself as such. So in some degree, I agree with you. If he was acting as a security guard, his actions are beyond those duties, otherwise, he was acting as a deputy, off-duty or not.

On one hand I am happy (not gleeful happy) that it was a Sheriff's deputy involved because of the accountability that is tied to Texas Constitution. This gives the people of that area and their representatives even more leverage to ensure a proper investigation of the matter is conducted. As of now, that is the only silver-lining I can find in this tragic series of events.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
this REEKS of incompetence,as to be expected from Wal-Mart
but who gave him a gun?
No Wal-Mart employee is competent enough to own/fire a gun,least from my experience.

How unfortunate

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtOfTrance
this REEKS of incompetence,as to be expected from Wal-Mart
but who gave him a gun?
No Wal-Mart employee is competent enough to own/fire a gun,least from my experience.

How unfortunate

Good thing he was a Sheriff's deputy then eh? Did you even bother to read the actual reports rather than the Youtube title? Par for course it seems....

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

nah I didn't I thought the title would speak for itself guess people have to learn how to write out properly written titles.
Also,idk how much run-ins with police you have,but they are fairly incompetent themselves,not much of a step up from WalMart employees.

So no,not a good thing he was a Sheriff's deputy,actually that makes it WORSE and a BIGGER display of incompetence.
Thanks for opening my eyes as to how much stupidity was ACTUALLY involved with this story lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join