The face of God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I've been researching again. Please no applause, just throw money.
This time, the human face and all the expressions it communicates. Even to my view of it's origins. For instance if I say, I believe we can see The Face of God in every human face, that has ever existed and even more so in every expression. You may react to the information of my admission with a facial expression such as this one.

Because you want to strangle me. Expressing feelings of anger.

Which in return I would then express on my face a feeling of absolute and naked fear such as this.

Then run away and immediately call the police to save me from the atheist woman I antagonized.

Any way these are just some examples of human facial expression.

Darwin's universality HYPOTHESIS lists six ( there's another one for the number of a man ) basic internal emotions that are expressed outwardly by the human face. They are anger, happiness,
sadness, surprise, fear and disgust. While animals indeed can be found to express some emotions they can by no means match those of human quality and/or quantity. I tend to add a
few like innocence.

Well maybe.

Of course I disagree with Darwin at every turn.

We live in a society that is acutely aware of multicultural differences. The admission by some researchers that Darwin’s original universality hypothesis might not apply to certain non-western cultures seems logical. The problem is with Darwin’s worldview and not with the limitations of Darwin’s universality hypothesis. The Theory of Evolution has been expanded into every scientific discipline. There are no areas of knowledge that have not been in some way influenced by Darwin’s fatally-flawed Theory. Creationists and Intelligent Design theorists have always contended that we are evaluating the exact same data as the evolutionists, but from a completely different perspective. When you examine Darwin’s universality hypothesis, a proposition that postulates a link between emotions and facial expressions, you can use that data to support creationism or evolutionism. This can be done even though the biblical explanation for linguistic dissimilarity is traced to an historic event, e.g. the confounding of language at the Tower of Babel (Gen. 11:1-9), and attempts to trace the evolution of language using Darwinian evolutionary mechanisms are be tenuous at best (Johansson, 2005; Craig, 2000; Bickerton, 1997).

creatiostudies.org.

So I ask, how does evolution explain human facial expressions ? What would be the advantages of cause for natural selection of the muscles involved in human facial expression or even animals for that matter ? They express surprise at a camera flash like my gigantic cat Sox, who drank radiator coolant and survived.

He thought it was kool aid. No jokes please.

I don't believe science has a solid argument for this in the face of creationism.

What say yall ATS?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
First, your cat doesn't look surprised. At least, to me. She/he looks like she's just focused, but not surprised.

Anyhow, if this is an argument against evolution and for creationism, it is a poorly written one. If it isn't, then sorry for misunderstanding. Well, let the google links begin:

In simplest terms, from the top of my head from past research:

-Humans have had facial expressions since pre-Neolithic age. It is a predatory feature found in a variety of animals, attributed to survival. Just how peacocks use their feathers and birds sing, humans use their facial muscles to convey to another human their feelings much easier. An angry face is easily recognizable, just as a happy face is, and it has been that way for a very, very long time.

Now excuse while I go find some sources.

Source 1: Russell, James A., and José Miguel Fernández Dols, eds. The psychology of facial expression. Cambridge, MA: Cambridge university press, 1997.

Source 2: www.researchgate.net...

So as you can see, although it's been this way for a very long time, it is largely unknown how we came to develop this trait. My summarization is just one theory, and there are many others. The simplest, of course, being that God gave it to us, period. Whatever theory you ascribe to, there is many research documents available to you, but the most common, like I said, is that it is used for communication, and other animals have this same ability.
edit on 9-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I imagine cavemen would have used facial expressions as communication along with their body language and some grunting. Dont think this god you speak of had anything to do with it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

I agree.

I did a quick Google search on Animals with Humalike Facial Expressions

I noticed that a lot of both humans and other animals have an accompanying posture to match their emotions.

Looks like there is a lot of evolutionary evidence to facial expression and posturing.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

So it's only poorly written if it's an argument against evolution otherwise you're sorry ? No need to apologize.

Oh hey BTW if you knew my cat. Believe me you'd know he's surprised. I mean I'm surprized he was even awake.
edit on 9-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Every thread that tries to argue against evolutions is always... AN EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!

And upon reading this one, I rest my case!!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

Thanks for reading and judging instead of trying give an answer.

Mr.10K

So as you can see, although it's been this way for a very long time, it is largely unknown how we came to develop this trait. My summarization is just one theory, and there are many others. The simplest, of course, being that God gave it to us, period. Whatever theory you ascribe to, there is many research documents available to you, but the most common, like I said, is that it is used for communication, and other animals have this same ability.

Okay that's cool and all and I do have google.

Is there something wrong with asking the community here what they all think ? Surely wouldn't say that ?
.......................................................................................................................................
I expected Facelift by now ?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed that some pet owners actually look like or resemble their pet?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Have you ever noticed that some pet owners actually look like or resemble their pet?

Ha Ha yes I have !
Interesting point.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Is there something wrong with asking the community here what they all think ? Surely wouldn't say that ?

From my experience some would say that.

Apparently if you post/ask anything that can be found from searching Google you are better off not sharing, instead just keep a Google search open and we are good.

Who needs ATS
edit on 9-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just wanted to add regarding this idea of an evolutionary root to facial expression and posturing, a while ago here in the UK a survey was carried out on young children, they were shown pictures of angry dogs and asked to describe what they thought the dog was feeling. A large proportion thought the dog looked `happy` and was smiling...Question: How can an evolutionary development of this importance be ignored.? ...especially if you believe this information to be hard wired into all species in an innate releasing mechanism or reflex.
Is this a case of nurture overriding a fundamental survival technique, presumably of genetic origin.?...good job such things cannot become hereditary.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Wow, the cat's got eyes like mine. It's got lots of hair on it's head though.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

If you're open to a look at the science side of this, then you may be interested in reading Human Facial Expressions as Adaptations: Evolutionary Questions in Facial Expression Research, a paper done by Karen L. Schmidt and Jeffery F. Cohn
from the Department of Psychology and Anthropology, and Department of Psychology and Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh, published in 2001 Yearbook of Physical Anthropology 44:3–24.

ABSTRACT:
The importance of the face in social interaction and social intelligence is widely recognized in anthropology. Yet the adaptive functions of human facial expression remain largely unknown. An evolutionary model of human facial expression as behavioral adaptation can be constructed, given the current knowledge of the phenotypic variation, ecological contexts, and fitness consequences of facial behavior. Studies of facial expression are available, but results are not typically framed in an evolutionary perspective. This review identifies the relevant physical phenomena of facial expression and integrates the study of this behavior with the anthropological study of communication and sociality in general. Anthropological issues with relevance to the evolutionary study of facial expression include:

facial expressions as coordinated, stereotyped behavioral phenotypes,
the unique contexts and functions of different facial expressions,
the relationship of facial expression to speech,
the value of facial expressions as signals,
and the relationship of facial expression to social intelligence in humans and in nonhuman primates.

Human smiling is used as an example of adaptation, and testable hypotheses concerning the human smile, as well as other expressions, are proposed.

The 6 basic facial expressions you've mentioned are outlined and the paper goes on to examine the physical aspects of expression from Phenotypal variation, underlying musculature involved in expressions and all in all is quite thorough in examining the the question you've asked regarding evolutionary adaptational benefits and advantages for the development of facial expressions.

Enjoy the read. It's excellent material.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
"Children Think Angry Dogs Are Smiling"

Found a link mysmelly.com...

...the children aged 7 and under are concentrating on the teeth of the dog but are not alarmed by them, this is obviously a poor survival response.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Thank you Dru. Of course I'm open to any decent answer to my question. See I figured something out a while back.
That is if I'm interested in something, anything, It certainly pays to do a lil thread on it here first. Do you realize the amount of time that can be saved this way.

The less time I spend in muddy water the more time I can swim with my eyes open.

Drucilla your knowledge is utterly fantastic. I read all your posts.

reply to post by ironbutterflyrusted

Thanks for the link Iron.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by mr10k

So it's only poorly written if it's an argument against evolution otherwise you're sorry ? No need to apologize.

Oh hey BTW if you knew my cat. Believe me you'd know he's surprised. I mean I'm surprized he was even awake.

No, regardless of what you aiming for, what I mean to say is : If it was intended as an argument, then it is a bad argument based on my knowledge of how arguments are conducted. If it was not an argument, I am sorry for thinking it is. I didn't mean any rudeness. You asked for an answer and I gave you a scientific one which I could back up with sufficient sources, and as the idea of where it came from is still widely debated, then you can disregard my point of view if you choose to do so.

And I'm sorry for assuming I know how your cat looks when it is surprised. Again, I based that on my own encounters with cats, including my own.
edit on 10-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

To the other poster:

"Children Think Angry Dogs Are Smiling" Found a link mysmelly.com... ...the children aged 7 and under are concentrating on the teeth of the dog but are not alarmed by them, this is obviously a poor survival response.

It isn't intended for use against other animals, but among humans. Humans are hunters by nature, we've been led to believe this. Say I have the only food in the tribe, and I want to make it clear it is only for me, I would put on an angry menacing face and probably an equally menacing grunt, while swaying my spear back and forth. A gorilla in the same situation would flesh it's gums, I think. A dog would bark, a snake would hiss, you get the idea. Each animal has developed their own set of body language and facial expressions based on their interactions among their species.

The debated topic is how exactly did this form of communication emerge, and to this day, it is pretty unknown.
edit on 10-12-2012 by mr10k because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1

We're not allowed to have apes as pets here

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Alright thank you for the link and I do always try to get some controversy going so you weren't wrong about that.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Just because (((((YOU)))))) dont know how animals express emotion.. doesnt mean they dont.

(((((YOU)))) have a habit of making ignorance based threads.... why is that?
edit on 10-12-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Because (((((((((you)))))))) enjoy them so much.

Quite the little thread writer yourself aren't you ?

And you're constantly off topic. Never anything constructive to sat to any one.
So if don't have anything to add to this ignorant thread then I'd appreciate it if you didn't reply at all to any of myu threads.

Thanks in advance.
edit on 10-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join