It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Tricks for Turning Carbon Fiber Arrows into 9 Inch Take Down Survival Arrows

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I just want to warn you guys.You need to know how to constantly replace the resources lost. (PVC) wont be around forever.

What if your bow snaps, loses its poundage, and simply weakens of age? Do you know how to craft, strength, and manipulate the wood for a replacement? Do you know how to make replacement "string" for your bow for when it snaps?

Do you know how to create arrows; working the wood, shaping the heads, and feathering it?

----

I am VERY wary of anything that comes from anything but natural raw materials. If it doesn't come from fat, skin, stones, wood, or a few other resources, i wouldnt depend on it.

---------------------------------

I dont think you will have much of a problem though. You did very fine work. Thanks for the video.

edit on 11-12-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
MW12, we can appreciate your skepticism, but I don't think you or our kids will outlive PVC availability. I would imagine if the world came down to survivalist measures, the need to hide into small spaces would not be necessary. In fact were the tendencies to become co-op or tribal, I think the bows we chose or made would also show some degree of style to them, ornate in design. And probably net even 'take-down' in design.

With millions of miles of PVC underground and away from UV, we'll have plenty.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
ATS moves beyond simply espousing hate-filled rhetoric to actually publishing detailed plans on how to make your own deadly weapons.

Interesting development.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Very interesting subject! And I loved Backyard Bowyers instructional videos - Thank You for linking to those!

One small point (from the videos), he seems to use schedule 40 pvc pipe, which isn't readily available in the UK (and other countries outside of the USA).

I have found one supplier in Scotland (UK) who carries it, but it looks like we might have to buy in bulk...

LINK to PVC PIPE Stockist in UK

Hope that link will be of use to those in UK who want to try building their own PVC bows.

regards,
GTD

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

Huh, what? This is designed to be conveniently small enough to take along with you in case you get stuck in the wildness. It is designed for hunting not for weaponization. Almost anything can be used as a harmful tool I suppose. The world is what we make of it. By the way ATS has always had a Weapons forum, and weapon design threads have always been prominent both there and on the Survival forum. Where have you been? If this bothers you, wait until I post my design for a ten dollar laser guidance system.
edit on 11-12-2012 by dainoyfb because: I typo'd.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Wow I really like this thankyou. If everyone made a post like this ATS would be a better place

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Thanks for the posting link!
What do you have available locally for PVC? Is there any form of PVC pipe that you could start designing with? Sounds like the UK needs their own version of the BackyardBoyer. I hope you find a reasonable source or something else that works. Here I pay about $1 a foot for 3/4 inch and $1.50 a foot for 1 inch. It seams expensive to pay 15 dollars for a length of plastic when I can buy a cell phone (even without a contract) for $30 but it's still a pretty cheap hobby.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

Huh, what? This is designed to be conveniently small enough to take along with you in case you get stuck in the wildness. It is designed for hunting not for weaponization. Almost anything can be used as a harmful tool I suppose. The world is what we make of it. By the way ATS has always had a Weapons forum, and weapon design threads have always been prominent both there and on the Survival forum. Where have you been? If this bothers you, wait until I post my design for a ten dollar laser guidance system.

The funny part comes from people not understanding that we have these boards in arabic as well and when they are on American news they are called 'extremist websites'.

Your bow is a weapon. It is kind of laughable that you would call it a tool.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Thanks for the posting link!
What do you have available locally for PVC? Is there any form of PVC pipe that you could start designing with? Sounds like the UK needs their own version of the BackyardBoyer. I hope you find a reasonable source or something else that works. Here I pay about $1 a foot for 3/4 inch and $1.50 a foot for 1 inch. It seams expensive to pay 15 dollars for a length of plastic when I can buy a cell phone (even without a contract) for $30 but it's still a pretty cheap hobby.

There are loads of hardware / DIY stores who stock PVC pipe in various lengths/diameters, but the vast majority of it is very thin walled pipe for general use, water waste, plumbing etc. (My understanding is that there aren't so many pressurised systems in the UK as the USA. The higher the pressure of the system, the thicker walled the pipes have to be, so the schedule 40 pipe from USA is thicker walled and stronger than standard UK pipe of similar size.)
Ordinary thin-walled UK pipe isn't strong enough for bow making. I will try digging around the net for more UK suppliers of pressurised pipe systems, similar to schedule 40, and will post any finds!
Thanks again,
GTD

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Holy moly, thank you so much for posting this! I've been considering building my own crossbow, but have been put off by the lack of solid and reliable plans.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join