It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Alien Failures...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by headband75

The strong link to aliens and religious beliefs (or faith) in that program as to make "it must have been aliens" the operative ideology seems to be extremely exacerbated. Is there any connection between them and any alien centered religion like Scientology ?

Occam's razor dictates that most of the few valid mysteries they advance should have human activity as the principal actor. No doubt that some things may go beyond that but at least it requires that first the exclusion in the extreme of any chance that humans did it.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

Sorry about the wait. Dunno if it needs a picture, but I could visualize one way.

Basically if a civilization has figured out how to produce any lapidary art, I would think they'd understand that the same principles may also apply to much bigger rocks.

Carve out as close as you can get to smooth with whatever bronze or early iron chisels you may have. Now grab a piece of scrap block of the same type of stone you just carved and make sure it's as least as smooth. And basically use the scrap block like you would a sanding block. (A bit of hammering and chiseling with it is ok too.) Materials of same hardness will cause wear on each other. (Particularly if it is the same material.) Closer you can get to flat while carving, less time "sanding" with the scrap block. The thing is, as wear is even as both pieces being of same material and density, if you keep your sanding action in a straight line it will eventually get as smooth and flat as the material itself allows, or at least for the amount of time you're willing to put into it. (The "sanding block" also gets smoother and flatter as it wears too. Nothing too fancy needed there.) Pour in water or some kind of oil for a bit of lubricity and clearing old grit, and you can make polished stone by using a stone of the same type. If needed, a final polishing can be done with a softer material than the stone being worked, it should pick up any loose grit embedded in the surface being worked and buff out most wear marks. (I wouldn't be too surprised if the "clay bar" type of technique used by auto enthusiasts to get nearly perfect finish is much older than we think? Just "rediscovered" more recently. But they would have used actual clay or perhaps rosin rather than the polymer stuff we have.)

Knowing that, you'd carve your roughs slightly larger. Then sand down until you know it will fit. Experience and the keen eye of the person working may account for the rest. (Might have also used things like guages and such pressed against a carved stone to ensure proper fit as well. A mason's square is probably the most obvious one.)

This part is probably the most labor intensive. A smart stoneworking crew would have the laymen do the rough grinding work until it gets down past a certain measurement, then your experienced stonefitter guys would be called in for the fine polishing work and final fit.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nice thread. If Aliens didn't do it, then out ancestors were much smarter than we give them credit for. The reality is, though, we will never know. At least I won't - probably not in my life time. I really enjoyed the video. I've seen it before, along with many others from UFO.TV. Some are good, and some aren't.

This is a great topic, one that I repeatedly find myself reading about. My opinion? Aliens played some role in our past, but I gave up a long time ago trying to explain this to anyone. It's just a waste of time. My luck, I'll try to convince the wrong person one day and get a black eye ...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

While I agree that the ancient alien theorists sometimes try too hard to make connections, I don't think they're all wrong. I do believe that we have been visited in the past and that most mythologies, including aspects in our western bible of G-d, are actually accounts of ET's interacting with humans. Some of the sites that are over 10,000 years old couldn't possibly have been constructed by our ancestors of the time.

I also think that some of the obelisks and other monuments, if not created with other-worldly help, are later man's attempt to reach the gods or attract them back. Even in the Bible, the tower of Babylon speaks to this.

The one thing that I always find myself wondering about when pondering if ancient man could have built some of these monuments, is the engineering. They were writing in pictographs and hieroglyphs back then. How did they have the math that would have been required to design and then build these massive structures and complexes? So far as I know, math was pretty primitive up until about 3,000 years ago.

As for the existence of ET's - someone in an earlier post spoke to the arrogance of thinking that in a vast universe with billions of stars and planets, that if we are not the only intelligent life, we are certainly the most intelligent life. To the person who asked why ET's would come here and build things - for the same reason we ourselves are exploring space - just to explore. And for any creationists out there - the Bible never says that G-d didn't create other worlds - only that he created this one.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Before we begin allow me to state right up front.

I'm not attempting to debunk the whole "Ancient Alien" theory and in all honesty I'm just as open minded enough as the next person to believe in the existence of ET's and their possible visitations both past and/or presently. Having said that, I refuse to blindly give credit to each and every perceived anomalies in ancient construction to ET.

Many have and will unquestionably attribute the great accomplishment in man's history to Ancient Aliens. As I've stated elsewhere, I can argue both sides for either ET or lost Ancient knowledge. The problem I have is that often many on both sides gloss over certain facts. For example, We can visit the quarries where these massive blocks around the world come from. Easter Island for example, there are still unfinished statues at various stages to be finished never mind being cut free and transported etc we find ancient abandoned work all over the world many while still in progress or in this threads premise.

Lets look at some of the questions you ask in light of some of the old stories about those days.

Lets look at Enoch. As that story goes and in light of some others the earth at one time was shared by man and some close cousin. It looks like these cousins were already living on the earth under the same conditions man now lives in whiel man was in some sort of protected condition. When man lost his favored status he came out in the world not knowing anything about how to get by on the earth. So these cousins took them to school about many things. How to make metal, plant roots for medicine and other things, the use of cosmetics and many other arts of "civilization".

No one knows the full extent of their technology however what we can see is that these cousins were not perfect or so ethereal as some would have but were given to thier passions. They taught man many bad things and were to a large extent.....full of bull crap. They apparently liked earth women and some of their women liked earth men the union of which was said to be a disaster.

They also liked war and were always fighting and gave man a taste for it. They also had limits in building and moving stones around. If we were to entertain the possibility about worked stones found on the earth having something to do with this race we can see that they had limits not only in size but also seemed to have a fixation on temples, fortresses ect.

As far as a relationship with man it looks like they made man a labor and agricultural slave and filled mans head with all sorts of nonsense. It seems anything that could be called good and usefull that men learned from them was always directed originally toward these "godlike' techno freeks and the promotion of their power and passions.

I am saying they did have limits lifting rocks and didnt shoot fire out of the arses.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbinsd
reply to post by ThreeNF
[more
The one thing that I always find myself wondering about when pondering if ancient man could have built some of these monuments, is the engineering. They were writing in pictographs and hieroglyphs back then. How did they have the math that would have been required to design and then build these massive structures and complexes? So far as I know, math was pretty primitive up until about 3,000 years ago.

The big boys kept the math to themselves for the most part. The good stuff anyway. Apparently there were some like Thoth, maybe a human, that was fully schooled in the arts that taught man more depth to the ways of the "gods".

Taking the stories as a whole it does look like at some point interaction came to an end and the few men that understood the arts and ways of the "gods" just took up from there the best they could and developed a civilization based on what they learned.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by TC Mike

To be honest I'm not sure how literal one should take whats written in the bible in reference to certain historical events and stories. I wonder how much had been mistranslated, exaggerated and plain out recorded or remembered through countless retelling by word of mouth down through the generations before it was finally put to paper was wrong or off as far as dates, numbers and timelines etc etc etc?

edit on 14-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Slayer, the truth is the area of the bible that talks about these days for the most part is already very general and there is just not enough there to suggest much exaggeration or mistranslation. Besides this in the world over, in oral tradition and some old writtings man has found here and there.....the same basic story that is told is the same one told in the bible about these days. In that respect, at the very least, the bible is as good as any of the other info out there as far as getting a general shake down of those days.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I agree that the interaction came to an end - I think maybe a few times. It does look like there was a thriving civilization about 12,000 years ago that disappeared. I don't just mean Atlantis - there is evidence in South America, Turkey and even the British Isles. Structures that can be dated back that far.

Then it appears that culture was at an apex again about 3,000 BC, then disappated. I believe that this is another time when the gods left and man was carrying on as best he could.

Lastly, it appears that about 2,000 years ago - particularly in the americas, there was another demise of civilization. Olmec structures, etc. that were destroyed and civilizations dispersed.

When I was a child, a very wonderful old lady who taught Sunday school made a comment that there was evidence in the Bible that civilization had arisen and been destroyed 5 times in the past. She showed us the scripture - I believe in Jeremiah, but I can't remember where now and have been unable to find it again. It was a very interesting contention though, and I have never forgotten it.

One last thing, I have a book of Greek mythology published in the 1880's that I pinched from my oldest brother. It's a very dull recitation of the "facts" (about the mythology) but in the section on Hephaestus, it talks about how he was aided in his building and invention projects by two femaie statues made of gold. It also describes other mechanical devices, although it only says things like "tripods that moved on their own". This was before technology took hold, so they had no reason to edit the information out. To me it is clearly describing robots and machinery. The book is the Handbook of Mythology: Myths and Legends of Greece and Rome by E. M. Berens.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ThreeNF

Aren't our ancestors (homo sapiens at least) who built these structures essentially the same as us? Does that not equate to the same brain power and ingenuity - perhaps in some ways smarter than ourselves?

Why then should we need aliens as entities to credit with discoveries man by humans? Despite our destructive abilities, time and time again I've personally seen very clever solutions to immediate problems. To suggest our ancestors lack this ability is insulting, and a slur against our current selves.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Logarock

I agree that the interaction came to an end - I think maybe a few times. It does look like there was a thriving civilization about 12,000 years ago that disappeared. I don't just mean Atlantis - there is evidence in South America, Turkey and even the British Isles. Structures that can be dated back that far.

Hardly.

If you believe the above, then please provide us with some information on these structures that are older than any structures ever found in Europe or in the Americas.

Also, could you provide your definition for "civilization?" You are obviously not using the Anthropological definition considering your reference to Gobekli Tepe (I presume.)

Harte

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Yes, Gobekli Tepe is dated to about 11,000 years ago I believe. They have found some stone structures in the British Isles - I think off Scotland - as well as some evidence of housing under the water in the English Channel that is about that old - as evidenced by the remains of a hearth. There is one in Peru that starts with a T but I can't remember the name, that is estimated to be 17,000 years old. Let's not forget Puma Punku. And there are the controversial structures under water off Okinawa.

I'm using civilization to denote a level of advancement and organization at the point where people are settled and building structures. Please don't scrutinize semantics. I think most people get the drift.

We have to accept that there are ancient structures that we can't explain that were beyond the known capacity of man at the time. Certainly people were every bit as intelligent 12,000 years ago and earlier - but people advance in stages based on the discoveries that came before. So far as we know, humans weren't at that point that long ago. I believe that to build these things they needed outside help.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

Yes, Gobekli Tepe is dated to about 11,000 years ago I believe. They have found some stone structures in the British Isles - I think off Scotland - as well as some evidence of housing under the water in the English Channel that is about that old - as evidenced by the remains of a hearth. There is one in Peru that starts with a T but I can't remember the name, that is estimated to be 17,000 years old. Let's not forget Puma Punku. And there are the controversial structures under water off Okinawa.

I'm using civilization to denote a level of advancement and organization at the point where people are settled and building structures. Please don't scrutinize semantics. I think most people get the drift.

It's not semantics. Anthropology has quite a list of things that a culture must reflect before they can be called a civilization, among them is a written language, division of labor, organized agriculture, free time for the members, etc. You can google it if you want - there are several slightly different definitions of the term out there.

Building structures? Homo Erectus built "structures." If that's the criterion you use, that's fine, but you should know that you are using the term incorrectly, and many folks will definitely call you on it if you keep stating that evidence for a 12,000 year old "civilization" has been found anywhere in the Americas or Europe. Or anywhere else, for that matter.

The earliest civilization we know about is the Mesopotamian civilization of Sumer, which didn't actually last all that long.

We have to accept that there are ancient structures that we can't explain that were beyond the known capacity of man at the time.
I have yet to see an ancient structure that cannot be explained in terms of the technology available at the time of its construction. Obviously, such a thing could exist. But it has yet to be found.

The fact that you have decided what you "must accept" is not a reflection on the reality of the situation, nor is it any indication of what anyone in Anthropology thinks.

Certainly people were every bit as intelligent 12,000 years ago and earlier - but people advance in stages based on the discoveries that came before. So far as we know, humans weren't at that point that long ago. I believe that to build these things they needed outside help.

I suggest you look at it a little harder, avoiding fringe information and seeking out what the experts have found and reported on concerning these structures that, for now, have you so baffled.

Harte

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join