It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for all of you December 21st preppers...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Firstly, i'm not against preparing for any disaster/global change, in the least, at all. More power to you! You have the upper hand if things go bad, and you deserve credit for that.

What happens if nothing happens on the 21st?

Granted, I know most folks would never admit to preparing just for this supposed event. Oh that's just silly, right? You might be prepping for this or that, but of course, not the supposed 21st event.

I'd be a good number of these people who discard this supposed event are absolutely basing their preparation on this event, admitting it or not. They, of course, have dozens of other possible events to fall back on, to reenforce their preparedness. All the same...

What would you do if nothing happened?

Would you change your life? Would you, at least to yourself, admit you were wrong and be happy nothing happened, or write it off for the next terrible prediction(dozens to choose from of course, why feel sorry for yourself when you could look to a new doomsday?).

I can't think of another date that has been so widely touted as the date of some serious event. Y2K was much too sudden to even be a contender, i've been hearing about 12/21/12 for close to twenty years. The buildup has been long and consistent.

But...what happens if you're wrong about what you know is coming? Do you return as much as you can to the stores? Do you lower your guard a little? Stop being so adamant that the end is here?

I myself, i'm not a prepper, though I have some backups. I'll likely go to the store this week to stock up on some more water and rice/beans. And if nothing happens, i'll be eating rice and beans more often. If something does happen, i'll be SOL in a few weeks.

Your plans? Thanks in advance to any replies.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
If the world is going to end, then no amount to preparation will help. If the world doesn't end, then the preparation was worthless.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't think anybody on here could seriously suggest they believe 100% that December 21st 2012 is the end. Okay many believe something 'could' happen. I happen to be in this crowd.

After year's of research into all of the various impending disasters, I've come to the conclusion there's only two likely scenarios. 1) DNA upgrade/accession, or 2) Nothing....and on the whole I'm leaning more towards nothing.

Do I want something to happen. Of course not. I don't have anything in particular planned for that date. I'm self-employed in the web design industry so will be at home with my 16-month old daughter, and girlfriend who has funnily enough booked this day off work 'just in case'.
So we'll all be at home, cuddling up and waiting for 11:11am, I'll literally have a smoke around 11am and then sit down and feel my throat tighten and heart rate increase through the suspense.
But preparing, I'm not preparing for anything. there's no where we could possibly hide should the SHTF so what's the point in worrying.

What will be will be.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Many of those we call "preppers", are not preparing for a single event. They are preparing for multiple scenarios, and the inevitable.

Sooner or later, somewhere, the power is going to get knocked out for anywhere from days to weeks. Bad things happen. It's a fact of life. And when they do, people like these are prepared to help themselves, and often others, with food, water, warmth, shelter, and the tools to hunt, and/or defend themselves.

I know several people who have easily survived through winter storms without heat and power, because they were prepared for just such an event. So I see prepping as more of a lifestyle, rather than a focus on a single event.

With that in mind, why would nothing happening on 12/21 bother them in the least? They just keep on living the way they've always lived. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to this, or there aren't people who got into it just for 12/21, but I'll bet they're a minority.

I know folks who were prepared for Y2K, and they are still prepared today for whatever...
edit on 12/9/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
With that in mind, why would nothing happening on 12/21 bother them in the least? They just keep on living the way they've always lived. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to this, or there aren't people who got into it just for 12/21, but I'll bet they're a minority.

I know folks who were prepared for Y2K, and they are still prepared today for whatever

Exactly! No one "preps' for the end of the world. You "prep" for the world to CONTINUE and the unlucky event that you may still be in it. You don't "prep" for the West Coast to fall into the ocean taking you with it. You "prep" for a disruption in the supply chain when the grocery stores are out of toilet paper and there is a rush on matches, for when a bridge falls down or the gas stations are empty, or for when the electricity goes out and they say, "Gee, this is unprecedented. It's going to take awhile. Sorry about that." See: Sandy.

I've "prepped" for over thirty years, long before I ever heard of Y2K or 2012. Nothing has ever happened that has lasted over two weeks, and that's just fine with me.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

If nothing happens then it never will this is the first time i've ever believed in a changing event and its been down to various things but mainly working out a certain group of people (a select group of russian jews (see elders of zion) control pretty much everything.

The world is controlled by fear so it may well be misdirection in keeping the 1% who understand how the world works in fear if you get my meaning.

On the other hand once you understand about numerology and esoteric knowledge and what it really is I.E other worlds you can access or perceive in your dream state, then the combination of haarp and how spirits of these other worlds have worked to fool humans becomes slightly worrying.

the best book i've come across on my path to working out if this is right or not is by carlos castenada the art of dreaming which seems to explain how the world really works including why people suffer from mental illness and hear voices and get premonitions. the problem is that for most people they don't have a reference point where as i do, so try telling someone that has no perception of something and you will see how hard it is to get people to wake up.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
as stated a few posts ago,
its not about a single event.
I dont trust the governments capability to handle catastrophic events,
and as they seem to be adding up it just further enforces the need for
self reliance.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I very much doubt anything will happen on the 21st save for the sun rising in the east and setting in the west.
Our household has always been "prepped". Well as long as I can remember. It had nothing to do with the 21st or any other date. Hundreds of date setters for the last 2 thousands years have all been wrong about the end of the world.
We are not preparing for the end of the world, who can prepare for that? No one. If all things cease, they cease. But I suspect that before any kind of end of days thing happens, there will be a very turbulent period of events. It is those events that we are prepped for. Not the end.
In other words, I doubt the earth will fall down and go boom in a heartbeat. I do not doubt that troubled times are near and soon to escalate.
Whether or not mankind recovers from these times is unknown. But should recovery begin, it will be those who were ready for the trouble that will have the best shot at being around afterward. That is what preparation is for.
If we were preparing to die what is needed for that save to consider God himself?

Suppose that because of all the hype, people simply go off the deep end, and trouble simply starts as a result of all of the misinformation about the world? Suppose there is no 21st event except for the actions of people who expect it to come? Leading to a serious meltdown of society?
The world is fine. It's the people that have the problem. It's us; We are the problem.
There is no need to prepare for "the end". The end will take care of itself.
It is survival that we prepare for. If those preparations are not needed, we still will survive and have lost nothing.
DH

edit on 9-12-2012 by DavidsHope because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2012 by DavidsHope because: paragraph

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I prep for disasters, not for December 21st. I have most everything for a month disruption of things.

How do you prepare for the end of the earth anyway? If you believe it is going to end on the 21st, you don't prepare for disasters, you don't prepare for anything at all since you are going to die anyway. I could survive now if things got rough, a power outage for a month, disruption of food because of a disaster somewhere along the delivery system to the area, etc... I worry more about the fragile economy and the rising cost of stuff in the future related to the drought. I prepare for things that are likely to happen in the future, not the end of the world. If the end does come I will put my head between mylegs and kiss my a$$ goodbye, thanking the earth for the time I spent here.

I'm still prepping for Y2K anyway, who cares if I'm late

edit on 9-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

I don't think anybody on here could seriously suggest they believe 100% that December 21st 2012 is the end. Okay many believe something 'could' happen. I happen to be in this crowd. After year's of research into all of the various impending disasters, I've come to the conclusion there's only two likely scenarios. 1) DNA upgrade/accession, or 2) Nothing....and on the whole I'm leaning more towards nothing.

That's something I've noticed in all the years I've been here on ATS......a few years ago there were quite a few people who believed 100% that something catastrophic was going to happen on 21/12/12, but I've noticed as the date has got closer the "believers" have moved more from a catastrophic event to some sort of "enlightenment", and even more, have de-camped from the "OMG! WERE ALL GOING TO DIE ON THE 21ST DEC 2012!!!!" to a more subtle "I think something might happen....but it probably wont" camp.

I've never for one second thought that anything untoward is going to happen......and deep down most of the believers don't think anything is going to happen either....they are just hedging their bets a little more as the day looms ever closer

Come the 22nd December I think the ATS servers will go into melt down with the number of "told you so" threads!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I appreciate the posts, good comments here, thanks for your time.

Also glad that nobody here will admit to prepping for an event on the 21st.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The only prep you will need for 21 Dec, all your Xmass shopping done, and lots of beer / wine etc.... and aspirin for the hangover the on the 22nd.

I plan on having a good beer or two, some steak and such, myself.
On the 22nd I'll read about all the idiots in suicide cults, and so on, here on ATS.

M.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Firstly, i'm not against preparing for any disaster/global change, in the least, at all. More power to you! Your plans? Thanks in advance to any replies.

I have been trying to prepare internally rather than acquiring a bunch of external survival items.

Granted I may regret not stalk piling massive amounts of
for when/if SHTF

edit on 9-12-2012 by SyntheticPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's always a good idea to have a few extra canned goods on hand in case of a power outage.

Our power went out for 3 days at one time and road conditions were so bad we couldnt get to the store.

Cold ravioli & green beans isnt all that good BTW

But it filled our belly's for the time being until power was restored.
edit on 9-12-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
I appreciate the posts, good comments here, thanks for your time.

Also glad that nobody here will admit to prepping for an event on the 21st.

But,but...I am prepping for the 21st party. I can believe in the party can't I?

Ah rats.....No party.....rats....seems like the end of the world now.
edit on 9-12-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ive always thought that Y2K was a "test run" for something to come. The whole idea of computers not being able to process from 1999 to 2000 sounded lame to me. I dont necessarily think it will just instantly happen on the 21st. Unless its a solar event that could happen quickky, I see it more as marking a starting point for major changes in the earth. And that could come from many things from geological and volcanic to social/economic collapse. Even without the Mayan prophecy just looking at the events going on in the world today its obvious that something big on the horizon.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I guess what i'm getting at is more or less as follows-

I don't know these prep folks, and they don't care about my opinion anyway. They are full bore into preparing for some disaster.

I think, however, for at least a good portion of these types of people, and not all by any means, that the december 2012 idea at least really sparked something in them, game them that push to prepare, and perhaps, is the number one reason that they prepare.

But no one will admit it. It's a taboo topic for prepper types.

"Oh, nothing will happen that day. But this could happen! That could happen! Oh, that, that'll definitely happen! I'm preparing for everything other than the 21st."

You ask them what got them going on the idea of preparing for something terrible, I bet some would kick the dust on the ground and turn sheepish, coming up with anything else to say.

But, this thread was to ask those preparing for the end of 2012 what they would do if nothing happens, but it seems that those people don't exist here, and I was wrong assuming they did.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
So which side of the world ends first? That is my question. It will be 21/12/12 in New Zealand and Australia when in America it will still be 20/12/12 . Could be a slow moving end , something like the langoliers.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The video doesn't exist! It's started already!

Great story, terrible movie.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ok, I'm in, I'll play.
I have taken off Dec. 20, and the 21st. The 20th my daughter has a dentist appt, and the 21st.....well...I will be partying like there is no tomorrow! I will be spending the day and night with my Hubby and daughter, seeing that I work nights, and barely see them anyway. (I am well stocked with Excedrin for the 22nd!!LOL)And I am a bit dense from time to time, I'll have a whole week off for X-mas!!!I just realized that today.

On a more serious note, It is always a good Idea to be prepared for anything that can happen. Lets just say, if the power were to go out for a week, I'd be just fine. Except the fact I'm use to having the house heated by a corn/pellet stove, I'll have to put on ALOT of clothes, and be wrapped up in blankets!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join