It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela's Chavez Names Successor as He Leaves for Cuba

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Simply because Chavez has greatly improved the state of Venezuela doesn't mean it is not perfect. Yes it is true, he has cut poverty, improved healthcare, social services, education and the life styles of the majority poor populace. It doesn't mean that Venezuela is perfect. How can it ever be? With external forces looking for its demise and a wealthy class that still wields considerable power.

If you saw the conference where Chavez announced who his successor is - instead of assuming he is preparing a dictatorial transition of power like a badgering brainwashed cynic - you'd see he stated that in accordance with the constitution there must be elections, but he encourages to Venezuelan people to elect him. That is all.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

For starters he has not vastly improved the country...

Secondly dont accuse a person of assuming when you do it yourself. I never said he was preparing a dictatorship.. I pointed out the speaker of their house (or their equivalent) was next in line should he die and asked about it.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

Simply because Chavez has greatly improved the state of Venezuela doesn't mean it is not perfect. Yes it is true, he has cut poverty, improved healthcare, social services, education and the life styles of the majority poor populace. It doesn't mean that Venezuela is perfect. How can it ever be? With external forces looking for its demise and a wealthy class that still wields considerable power.

If you saw the conference where Chavez announced who his successor is - instead of assuming he is preparing a dictatorial transition of power like a badgering brainwashed cynic - you'd see he stated that in accordance with the constitution there must be elections, but he encourages to Venezuelan people to elect him. That is all.

^ This... it's funny how fast we are to forget the good deeds once they get painted bad by someone who is in a different point of view.
History has shown over and over and over again, how fast the American government is to make a foe out of a country we first of all might not understand completely but also a country that serves different policies than the American government wishes.

We need to remind ourselves that what the American government wants is not always the best. In most cases their decisions are based entirely on greedy and selfish deeds more than "improving the world".

If you have an opposition towards a country, and you are specialized in destabilizing democratic states, you will pay the opposition to make them heard the most. And people never complain or compliment when they are happy... so....

The media might want to paint Chavez as one of the baddest men in the world, but set aside, he does seem to have a genuine wish to do his people good, and the fact that he acknowledges elections shows that in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

There is a reason Chavez close the US consulate(among many other western nations) in Venezuela during election time and throughout most of his campaign. He didn’t want Venezuelans in America(and in West) voting. Why you ask? The answer is Obviously b/c they'd vote for his opposition? why would they? If it was a fair democratic process why would he do this?

I know a lot of Venezuelans and not 1 of them likes Chavez.

They don’t like the fact he regularly smothers their TV programming with rambling tirades on all channels.

They don’t like the dramatic increase in violent crime since he’s been in power. I’ve been told if you wear a pair of Nike’s and someone wants them they’ll put a gun to your head and demand you take them off. If you don’t take them off fast enough they’ll shoot you in broad daylight in the middle of a metropolitan area no one will do a thing. This is why most people wear debranded or no-name-brand clothes. You definitely don’t wear jewelry. Even in the main international airport in Caracas people have been robbed by Airport security guards. Even the police will setup checkpoints to rob people. The Chilean ambassador’s daughter was driving from Caracas to Maracaibo, under heavy guard, and they tried to run a police checkpoint b/c they thought they were going to be robbed…the police shot up the car and she was killed. Also, the Mexican ambassador was carjacked at gunpoint in the middle of the political district in Caracas.

They don’t like the dramatic increase in poverty or the ridiculous inflation.

They don’t like the corruption that’s become rife since he’s been in office.

They don’t like he’s nationalized foreign business assets thereby destroying incentive for foreign businesses to invest in Venezuela.

They don’t like he’s changed the constitution to give himself unlimited consecutive terms.

They don’t like his unchecked power.

I could keep going. Want me to?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by flice
The media might want to paint Chavez as one of the baddest men in the world, but set aside, he does seem to have a genuine wish to do his people good, and the fact that he acknowledges elections shows that in my opinion.

The media in Venezuela would disagree with you... Actually they would had it not been for the fact Chavez shut down all media outlets that did not / do not support him.

Dozens of radio stations shut down in Venezuela

Hugo Chávez revokes radio station licences in wider media crackdown

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

This statement is clearly false and is reflective of your prejudice towards any system which experiences success without following the idiotic American model. Have you read the world bank statistics on how Venezuela has improved under Chavez?

Poverty cut from over 60% in 2003 to around 30% in 2009. Household consumption has risen from below $2500 to around $4700. Cereal production has risen from around 3 million metric tonnes in 2000 to around 5 million metric tonnes in 2009. Electricity production has greatly increased. Yes, it is not perfect. Homicides have risen and GDP rose and fell with the GFC. But to deny that the conditions for the people have improved, is to live in a disillusioned fantasy.

venezuelanalysis.com...

Enjoy being brainwashed by international propaganda. But history shows, that Latin American leaders that improve the standard of living of the poor (even when they do not have the capability to do so) and bring forth revolutionary change, tend to be enemies of the United States.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant

This statement is clearly false and is reflective of your prejudice towards any system which experiences success without following the idiotic American model. Have you read the world bank statistics on how Venezuela has improved under Chavez?

Poverty cut from over 60% in 2003 to around 30% in 2009. Household consumption has risen from below $2500 to around $4700. Cereal production has risen from around 3 million metric tonnes in 2000 to around 5 million metric tonnes in 2009. Electricity production has greatly increased. Yes, it is not perfect. Homicides have risen and GDP rose and fell with the GFC. But to deny that the conditions for the people have improved, is to live in a disillusioned fantasy.

venezuelanalysis.com...

Enjoy being brainwashed by international propaganda. But history shows, that Latin American leaders that improve the standard of living of the poor (even when they do not have the capability to do so) and bring forth revolutionary change, tend to be enemies of the United States.

i've read venezuelanalysis.com many times and that site is blindly biased in favor of Chavez.

I know many Venezuelans both here and some who are living right there in Venezuela and they say Chavez destroyed Venezuela.

I was tempted to believe the rose-colored fables on venezuelanalysis.com, but first-hand accounts are saying its simply not true.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join