It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Needing Help Developing a Character with Psychic Powers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

So I'm in the beginning stages of writing a book. When I say beginning stages, I mean just that...I've got a glimmer of an idea but I need your help in developing the character.

My idea revolves around the notion of a teenage girl with some type of latent psychic ability. I want it to be something kinda hidden, you could say. Anyway, she has no control over this ability and it exerts itself at the most unfortunate times. This gets her in trouble and accused of witchcraft...etc etc etc.

So what type of psychic abilities might she have? Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks, ATS!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Stealing from Stephen King's "Carrie" now, are we? Or maybe "Firestarter"...

How many books are you planning? What's her life like? What does she like to do? How old is she, specifically? What kind of trouble does she run into?

As a fellow writer, I like to know all these things because the context dictates where the special stuff appears. It has to sort of slip in and back out if you're working up to it. So, psychic abilities - she can control the elements, but nothing synthetic That's a good start for witchiness, with a little kink to throw in for difficulty. She should also have friends with latent or secret abilities of their own, that she runs into or maybe has known for years. They guard over her or something, because she's adopted and her real family is a powerful coven that was wiped out years ago and she's the last remaining heir to set of lost relics that can help to restore the balance of power. And all the people persecuting her are friends and family of the other covens or something.

I have tons of ideas for a story like that. But most of my ideas lead to a trilogy or saga.

edit on 9-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Good luck with your character development.

You might want to start here.

en.wikipedia.org...

You have a slew of abilities to use.
If you want something that might get her into trouble try Psychokinesis or telekinesis or maybe even Pyrokineses.
en.wikipedia.org...

Steven king did the movie firestarter about a pyrokinetic.

You may want to read up about Mai the Psychic Girl. A japanese anime about a 14 y/o psychic

en.wikipedia.org...

You also might want to read the 3 Joan D Vinge books based on Cat who is a psion.
en.wikipedia.org...

Another anime/manga to look into is Akira. Which deals with psychicly powered characters.
en.wikipedia.org...(manga)

Hope this helps you with some research.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'm planning on this being a historical novel, set either in Europe during the height of the witch hunt hysteria, or in the more predictable Salem.

My idea is that she's convicted of witchcraft, sentenced to die, escapes somehow and somehow saves the town. Something inane like that. Oh, and a romance between her and the Reverends son.

It's targeted at young adults, in case you didn't figure that out already.

I'm thinking, maybe she goes into a fugue state and makes predictions. That then come true? Anything could trigger the fugue state, she would be unable to control it.

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Hi Smyleegrl,

I feel things that I can't see or hear (so far). That could be fun to play with for a character. I felt someone sit on me and I have been pushed or shoved several times. I've only had this happen a few times, but if I was going to write about a character that has this kind of experience, I would make the episodes much more common and this would present questions for the character to consider... Are her experiences real, if nobody else notices anything? Can she purposefully develop another intuitive skill that would provide more validation and maybe allow her to communicate? Would that be desirable? Who would help her with that? Are the pushes due to frustration because of the inability to communicate in a more meaningful way? There could be characters who help/believe, characters who fraudelently claim to be psychic themselves but really faking for their own reasons, characters who condemn others due to their religious beliefs and fears.... The problems that any teen has to deal with (i.e. dating, grades, cool kids and not so cool kids) could all be woven in. Hope this helps...

Thanks,
Gwynn

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Oops, I replied at the same time. Well, maybe you can use such a concept within the historical setting. That would make the questions even more important to answer - life or death, actually...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What is the tone of the story you're working on? Is it light or serious? If it's light, and the ability doesn't have to have a huge impact, then my vote is for the subconcious projection of one's thoughts into the mind of others.

For example, say your character meets someone new and goes through the normal plesantries, but is thinking that they don't like the person's pants. The person they meet hears your character's thoughts, creating a tense situation.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

You should make the reverend a sorcerer. That way, eventually, he'll be overthrown and the son will take his place and establish a new system of protection for all gifted children, because they helped to save the town from the reverend's evil minions. And then on to book two, where a nearby group of gifted people hear about how powerful your character and her friends are and attempt to recruit them, before kidnapping several nongifted people and setting off an exciting chase where the reverend's son's brother, who hates gifted people, is forced to cooperate with the gifteds in order to protect the town in the absence of your character and her friends.

I told you, I'm good at making this stuff up on the fly.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Hi, How about if she has the power to see inside peoples bodies and blurts out a few times what illness they have.
Or she could be a shapeshifter,
have the power of invisability,
see into the near future,
have healing hands,
Hope any of this helps you in your story.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Hey, what if she is an inter-dimensional entity? Some villagers found her doing something like in the way of discovering Moses?

She makes mud-cakes that are edible and delicious, (she can form any favorite food from dirt), sharing this secret with only two of her closest allies? One of these friends turns her in and after her death-shreak, she comes back to enforce the spell of making the villagers consume mud-cakes only- for the rest of their days. Except these mud-cakes are not edible and delicious!

Her guilt is proven when she makes a feast for the villagers?
edit on (12/9/1212 by loveguy because: editing edits

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Sounds like something out of Solomon Kane

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well you could start it out with her having severe head aches in a church during a sermon where she passes out at the crescendo of his fiery speech about the satanic witches that he believes are turning the town into a cesspool. Of course that would draw his attention to her, mean while she would have her first vision blurred and unable to determine what it is that she saw during her blacked out state. Then just build from there keep her powers growing and the preacher as her nemesis and you got a good foundation for a novel that could be the next twilight... please don't make anything sparkle they ruined vampires and werewolfs in one series but made an ass load of money.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oasisjack

What's the matter with sparkly vampires? I'd love to see you have rocky skin and not sparkle in the sunlight. You're just mad because they're harder to kill.

I love how people get all homophobic with this stuff. Personally, I prefer the evolution of vampires. All creepy and bloodthirsty was getting a little outdated, and it was great to delve into the mind of a vampire with morals.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Vampire with morals....I'll stick with Lestat any day.

Now THERE'S a vampire one can sink your teeth into. Forgive the pun.

And to assuage your fears, no one will sparkle in my story.

top topics

join