It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crime & Criminals: A Humanitarian approach for a world free of crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Does anyone else believe that our current (western styled) criminal justice system in fact encourages crime , instead of deterring it?

I think many people argue that labelling individuals as criminals, permanently attaching criminal records to them, and the prison/correctional system does more harm to society than it does good. Generally speaking, its my opinion that jails are criminal colleges where criminals learn how to commit crime. I dont think they are correctional at all. If jails really were "correctional" they would decrease the crime rate. I think our current correctional system is barbaric and out of date in the deterrence of crime.

Furthermore, labelling all individuals who commit crime with a criminal record serves to encourage crime economically. If someone has a criminal record, they don't have the same opportunities to better their lives in finding jobs, education and improving their skills.

Now I believe we should still keep track of certain offenders of certain extreme crimes (murder, rape, etc.) , however there are so many people in jail for less serious offenses who dont deserve to be discriminated against in society just because they get mixed up with the wrong people or fall on bad times, especially in rough times like these.

I believe we should legally recognize something i term "crimes of poverty" which is essentially recognizing the fact that people dont deserve to be labelled criminals and discriminated against just because they are born into poverty and dont know any better. Our criminal justice system fails to take into account the socioeconomic factors which influence crime.

Our criminal justice system must take into account, and legally recognize "labelling theory" (by interactionist theorist howard S. becker) in that once people have become labelled "deviant" they are influenced to accept that as their label when society mandates it on them. Really think about it, if we want to deter and eliminate crime, why are we labelling people as criminals, pushing this perception on them by all members of society? One day people will realize this is just another form of discrimination in ignorance.

For example, when someone is labelled a criminal with a criminal record, the uninformed masses will likely make stereotypical judgements that such a person is immoral, a threat, is horrible and in the same category as murderers and rapists. What if that person was arrested for stealing to survive? what if that person made bad choices growing up influenced by culture and their (socioeconomic) environment, not knowing any better?

The criminal justice system fails to take into account cumulative factors which contribute to criminal behaviour. If they were so concerned with deterring crime, they would acknowledge these factors and think of a solution. Many authority figures and the criminal justice system fails to produce solutions to counter criminogenic environments (conflict theory)

We must provide solutions for the impoverished and those who suffer from criminogenic environments, because they are victims of crime in a way society has yet to legally acknowledge. Instead of labelling people from criminogenic environments with criminal records, we must remove those records (if they are not serious charges) and give them a chance to better their lives, and to positively reintegrate into the community.

I believe instead of probation and criminal records, we should have an alternative system where we mandate offenders to seek employment, or education and job skill programs. We must treat these people with open arms because of the unfair societal struggle they have faced, imposed by economic oppression. People cant help being born into poverty. We can't penalize them for this.

This, and other tactics will be how we will achieve a world free of crime, this is how we will EFFICIENTLY deter crime.

One final thought to consider - we must consider those who wish to profit from crime (those who build jails, make equipment for police and jail industry) because they have in interest in making a fairly ineffective criminal justice system, they have an interest in ensuring crime. We must eliminate the corporate/business profitability in crime. One solution might be dedicating those profits to education and job programs for those in the criminal justice system.

thanks for reading guys !

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
While I agree with your view of the correctional system does more harm than good, I wish it could be easier moving the system in a better direction. Have a look at how Norway handles correctional services:

Michael Moore in Norway (from about 5:22):

It might be a tad bit radical simply moving over to such a system but our societies should have this as a goal, and gradually move in a similar direction. (Each country has its own challenges...)

/PG13

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Your post made me think of that scene in Demolition Man when they are stealing food (from Taco Bell
) to survive and society misunderstands and looks down on them. However...

I believe we should legally recognize something i term "crimes of poverty" which is essentially recognizing the fact that people dont deserve to be labelled criminals and discriminated against just because they are born into poverty and dont know any better. Our criminal justice system fails to take into account the socioeconomic factors which influence crime.

Some one has been trying to break into my grandmothers house. She is in her 80's and lives alone in Baltimore and the area has degenerated to everything negative you could say about Baltimore. Rob my grandmom to get presents, food, ect, I will leave you laying in the grass. Period. We let her take our rottweiler and the next step is me and my 12 gauge.

I can agree with your mentality, but at the same time disagree largely.
edit on 9-12-2012 by TruthHurtsDenialKills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DivineEvolution

Excellent thought! To begin with however we should begin to clean out our law books of antiquated laws. Foremost laws of so called "victim less crimes". If I smoke a joint or see a prostitute it is MY personal pleasure and not an issue for the law. Rexamine the laws one by one and also research what SIG - (Special interest groups) was the main driving force. If its a "Moral Minority" law or similar, throw it out completly. Let laws be written basd on FACTS nor fearmongering or special "Moral" agendas.
This "house cleaning" alone would send TSHTF in the people on "outrage" and similar. But it would clear their minds to then sit down and discuss your arguments with a more sober approach.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DivineEvolution

Does anyone else believe that our current (western styled) criminal justice system in fact encourages crime , instead of deterring it?

Yes.

I think many people argue that labelling individuals as criminals, permanently attaching criminal records to them, and the prison/correctional system does more harm to society than it does good.

Especially given that many of the -crimes- of today are not (in the traditional sense) crimes at all. The law was originally made to give people rights to protect them from the state and from anyone that ought to violate the individuals rights. (Violence against a person, stealing from them-affecting their livelihood, etc).

The systematic stigma that is associated with criminals and how it plays into their livelihood both professionally and socially, seems like a crime in itself.

Generally speaking, its my opinion that jails are criminal colleges where criminals learn how to commit crime. I dont think they are correctional at all. If jails really were "correctional" they would decrease the crime rate. I think our current correctional system is barbaric and out of date in the deterrence of crime.

No need to speak generally in this case. Actions are louder than words. So are consequences. The recidivism rates are a testament to failed Western Law

One final thought to consider - we must consider those who wish to profit from crime (those who build jails, make equipment for police and jail industry) because they have in interest in making a fairly ineffective criminal justice system, they have an interest in ensuring crime.

Sadly they have even gotten away with lobbying the government for longer and mandatory minimum sentences. That is crazy when you really look at the big picture, and just exactly what they have done. They have paid money, in some cases bribed, to have people thrown in jail as slaves so they can make money off of them. This is not about moral justice at all.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Oh wow... Sorry for all that yellow, it seems like a good idea at the time. But after reading it, it looks like Big Bird crapped all over the screen.

top topics

join