R.I.P....Sir Patrick Moore Dies at age 89

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
RIP to the God father of British Astronomy as without him who knows what would/wouldn't be known now

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My first book on astronomy...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I heard this this afternoon, very sad news

People can leave comments here www.banguniverse.com... on a official site set up by his close friend Dr Brian May (from the band Queen).

A great loss to everyone.

R.I.P

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
He looked really ill and said very little on his latest show.. Rip, A great man.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Very sad to hear the news of Sir Patrick passing away. He bought the world of astronomy to many people who may have never had an interest otherwise.
I never knew before today that the Moon maps Patrick drew up where actually used by NASA for the Apollo Moon landing missions.

R.I.P. Sir Patrick Moore. You are going to be missed.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
R.I.P Sir Patrick . You are in for one hell of a ride .

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I can't say it was unexpected but it was undesired.

Bye Sir Pat!

Your legacy remains!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Legend. First book I read properly on astronomy was one of his, similar cover to the one posted above, maybe even the same one...long lost... Anyway a sad loss, really do love watching him on Sky at Night, really a good giggle and always so keen on the details of astronomy makes it great television. And of course, the Games master - a key role for a kid of the early 90's like me
He'll be missed. Glad to have been part of a generation to have him enthuse people such as myself and countless others into astronomy. It's a connection I'll take to the grave. RIP!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

truly a great loss to us all ! one of astronomys true legends
, sir patrick moore opend my eyes to the stars

R.i.p

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

just gutted to the core

R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
He has died the same year as Neil Armstrong both with very obvious connections to each other the Moon which was Patrick's main interest.

RIP Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore, CBE, FRS, FRAS

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
RIP Sir Pat.
It's kind of funny how you often learn something about a famous person only once they are dead. I came across this from May (I don't normally read this paper, hence why I missed it.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

How sad, to lose the love of your life so young. No wonder he was a little cranky at times.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   
i was lucky enough to watch his last show. he was a big part of my childhood and inspited me to delve deeper into the mysteries. magnus pike (rip) and now patrick moore (rip). journey well.

fakedirt will salute the heavens semi-naked in the direction of orion later.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Like so many others The Sky at Night was the only good thing about the Sunday evening that heralded the imminent return to School the following morning. The Sky at night was the last TV show I was allowed to stay up for, and I regarded it as the final joyful thing about my weekend.

As always with loss words are woefully inadequate to express the depth of sadness felt, but for what its worth my world has become a colder, and less colourful place.

R.I.P. Sir Patrick, we left behind will not see your like again.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
R.I.P Sir Patrick Moore!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
R.I.P Sir Patrick.

As someone else pointed out, i feel rather like i have a favoured Uncle. Aside from all of his obvious achievements,i also love his attitude to life. My favourite story being a more recent one (after the advent of the smoking ban, no smoking in tv studios) - when asked if he was smoking, he said no, stuffed his beloved pipe in his pocket............and promptly set fire to his suit! I can just imagine him laughing about it!

I also have to say, in this day and age of people being full of their own self importance, how many other famous (and talented) people can you think of who give so much of their time, for free, to ordinary members of the public?

Sir Patrick, a true inspiration on so many levels.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
RIP Sir Patrick, the sky at night won't be the same without you.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I came across this from Brian May who was a close friend of Patrick Moore , I think he sums up the feelings of many of us today and gives a glimpse of the Patrick Moore he knew .

Patrick was the last of a generation, a true gentleman, the most generous that I ever knew; an inspiration to thousands in his personal life and to millions through his 50 years of unique broadcasting.

It's no exaggeration to say that Patrick, in his tireless and ebullient communication of the magic of astronomy, inspired every British astronomer, amateur and professional, for half a century. Most astronomers I know will tell you Patrick is the reason they first looked through a telescope.

Through his countless books and articles and TV appearances, he captured the adventure of the universe and brought it to us. He knew the universe in a way that will never be equalled. He did not just know the facts, it was as if he lived out there and knew it like the back of his hand.

To the end of his life he was distilling new discoveries into channels which made them not just accessible to astronomers but also understandable to the general public – a rare gift, which he never tired of using to the full.

In his private life Patrick was astoundingly giving. His dedication to young aspiring astronomers was legendary. He replied to every letter, responded to questions, helped students with gifts of equipment and the most precious gift of all – his time. He personally tutored some he thought particularly promising, and sponsored others through higher education; he gave away any income he made to the point where he had no security himself except that which his friends supplied

Patrick was the reason I took up astronomy as a kid, but it was on a trip to the northern tip of Scotland to witness an annular eclipse – a rare sight – that he turned my life around again.

We sat down for a snack outdoors, and he said: "We must write a book together – the Complete History of the Universe." I said: " Really I don't think I am capable – I have been in a different world for so long. Maybe I can help you edit it?" He said: "Nonsense! You are going to co-author it and you're going to go back and get your PhD too!" Well, it all came true. We wrote Bang! The Complete History of the Universe together with Chris Lintott and I finished off my PhD thesis at Imperial College. Patrick had once again brought me face to face with the universe.
www.guardian.co.uk...

An inspirational man

Brian May has set up a website where members of the public can leave personal tributes to the late Sir Patrick Moore , the link is in the article .

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yeah, apparently, right up to the end of his life, he went out of his way to answer as many letters as possible to children and adults alike. Ive heard many anecdotes on various media today saying things like "I wrote to Partick when I was 8, to ask him (insert 8 year olds question on astronomy here) and I received a personal polite response."
Pretty amazing.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the memories Patrick. The Sky at Night was one of the rare shows I was allowed to stay up for as a little kid and yours were amongst the first books I ever read on astronomy. Always been a lover of the night sky and science ever since.

RIP - Enjoy the ride to infinity and beyond!

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join