It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americas slave prisons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
An interesting twist to the issue :
www.businessinsider.com...

Apparently, an anonymous music exec from the early 90s is claiming that the explosion in gangsta rap and the promoted depictions of "thug life" as a positive thing are directly related to the rise of private prisons in the same time period. Supposedly, the powerful prison complex interests are behind NWA, Ice Tea, Snoop Dogg, etc in order to keep their prisons full and that govt contract money rolling in.

Of course, this claim is based on an anonymous letter. It easily could have been some conspiracy troll sitting in his parents' basement trying to see if his concocted story could pick up steam with the paranoid.
edit on 9-12-2012 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SELAboy
An interesting twist to the issue :
www.businessinsider.com...

Apparently, an anonymous music exec from the early 90s is claiming that the explosion in gangsta rap and the promoted depictions of "thug life" as a positive thing are directly related to the rise of private prisons in the same time period. Supposedly, the powerful prison complex interests are behind NWA, Ice Tea, Snoop Dogg, etc in order to keep their prisons full and that govt contract money rolling in.

Of course, this claim is based on an anonymous letter. It easily could have been some conspiracy troll sitting in his parents' basement trying to see if his concocted story could pick up steam with the paranoid.
edit on 9-12-2012 by SELAboy because: (no reason given)

Actually what it is is obvious and playing out today. You do have good rap but mainstream be wary of.

Rick Ross for example. HE WAS A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER.

I can not tell you how many people in my area were "selling dope straight off the i phone" when that song came out. That song was a blatant attempt to get the prison population up and it worked.

not the selling dope part but the i phone part.
edit on 9-12-2012 by NarrowGate because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This is the exact America I FEAR one day would be reality if America EVER had a Conservative & GOP majority in office. With all that they stand for, and have been fightin for lately, this would be their ultimate wet-dream for America. [color=gold]NO workers rights, NO decent pay, NO health-care contribution from Corporations, NO retirement contribution from Corporations, COMPLETE AND TOTAL WORKER EXPLOITATION IN SLAVE CONDITIONS. ALL WHILE these corporations are RAKING IN RECORD PROFITS off of our backs. Our BROKEN and BURDENED backs.

THAT is what Conservatives and the GOP have been FIGHTING TOOTH & NAIL for lately. Open your eyes folks, this is EXACTLY what appears to be what the Right-wing extremists desire for America.

American sweatshop. 1% Masters, 99% Slaves. All desired ideology from the defenders of the 1%. THIS IS SCARY FOLKS. [color=gold]THIS IS YOUR GRANDCHILDREN'S FUTURE if you dont stop electing into office anyone who is committed to serving ONLY the needs of the 1%'ers.

Its GOT TO STOP NOW folks!!!!!!!!! We cannot elect politicians who coddle the 1% as this is the ULTIMATE goal for your grandchildren if we do!!

edit on 9-12-2012 by oper8zhin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Last I heard in rescent months, the US prison system makes products strictly for the US government, like uniforms, helmets, flak-jackets etc. This is still taking jobs away from law abiding workers. Punishment should be to pay restitution to the victims, with almost no prisoners in prisions.

If the prison system gave people good job trainiing there would be people going to prison to get a job.

Having alot people in prison is a symptom of a bad, artificial, centralized and mind controlled economy and society.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Semicollegiate

The vast majority of people in prison are no threat to society. There are some that should be locked up, but any drug offender is not putting society at risk.'

The funniest thing to me is locking people up for being unable to pay child support and then charging them money for their incarceration.

Don't worry, it won't hurt anymore once they are fully inserted.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by HomerinNC
reply to post by DarknStormy

where at? I was in minimum IN NC, and there was none of that, I wanted my kindle because my only way to keep my sanity was to read, and the prison library sucked

I'm in Australia but by the sounds of it, the exact same things are happening over there when it comes to the forced labour. In minimum here we get 6 berth units when we can be trusted i guess.. I'm sure you can get stuff brought in including video games etc. I don't think the same would apply at any higher prison. The prison has a cricket side also, particpates in the local competition and once a year they play AFL footy against another prison. Doesn't sound like a prison..
. But I guess the Idea of Minimum is preparing people to get back into society here. I only done 3 Months but there were others who had done years who were finishing off the last parts of there sentence.

Interesting place though, the prison is an old WW2 pow camp.
edit on 9-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

Absolutely not. In the USA, you can get NOTHING sent to you from families, youre LUCKY if they let you have a newspaper or magazine subscription. I tried to have books sent DIRECTLY from the publisher, that was turned down. Electronics? Not a snowballs chance in hell are you getting stuff like that LEGALLY in prison.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You can blame the right wing "privatizing everything is good, including prisons; free market" propaganda for this.
edit on 9-12-2012 by ShotGunRum because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NarrowGate

Jail is completely different from prison. I agree with everything you said about jail because people shouldn't be treated that way without being convicted of a crime. We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but it seems like it's the other way around. But to those who have been convicted? There is absolutely no way that those people should be given flat screen tvs and an xbox.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by shelookslikeone
reply to post by NarrowGate

Jail is completely different from prison. I agree with everything you said about jail because people shouldn't be treated that way without being convicted of a crime. We are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but it seems like it's the other way around. But to those who have been convicted? There is absolutely no way that those people should be given flat screen tvs and an xbox.

convicted of?
aggressive prosecutors?
dirty cops?
crooked judges?
corrupt politicians?

see my point?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I forgot to mention!

In the 10 man (the first place you go) with 30 in it, when the fiends start throwing up they DO NOT clean it up until the next time the trustees come around.

They do not separate the fiends either.

This is before conviction....

After conviction you have a ton of time without your loved ones, and they might rely on you heavily. Keep in mind you can get convicted based off of 1 witnesses testimony and nothing else. There are some really good actors out there......

And they wonder why things are so messed up on the outside....

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My friend just did almost a month for driving on a suspended license. He was driving to work. His public defender said if he just plea he would only get 10 days, he plead and got 30 but got out a week early for 'gain' time. They made the jailors were required to do whatever busy work the guards could find for them. Since he was in there for a minor offense most of the inmates were drug offenders(mostly pain pills) awaiting a bed in a rehab house before they were released. The pill guys had no problem smuggling in pills he said. It cost him a lot and now if he gets caught again he will face prison where the real slave farms are. They say the prison industry is Florida's biggest business.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

I came across a thread on another site that was a real eye opener on the prison industry.

The thread is quite long (62 pages) but the Opening Few Posts give a lot of starter information as well:

forums.somethingawful.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Some Highlights from the above thread:

Corrections Corp. Shows Crime Pays as States Turn Jails Private
www.bloomberg.com...

www.cagle.com...

A presentation on March 13th by Corrections Corp of America touted the coming growth of the private prison business. It was geared toward potential investors and had a very bullish outlook on locking people up for profit, which is a good thing for the economy—and since we all want the economy to be good, yay, locking people up for profit!

Steve Greenberg / PoliticalCartoons.com (click to view more cartoons by Greenberg)
The presentation, in glowing tones, spoke mainly about how the private prison business is such a unique investment opportunity. You would think that this uniqueness stems from the fact that it’s, you know, locking people up in cages for money, but you’d be wrong. It’s because of almost certain growth. What industry, short of recreational drugs, can boast of almost certain growth? The U.S. has the largest number of people behind bars in the world, the presentation pointed out, so the foundation has already been laid. We even have more people locked up than China—and China is a “police state” with four times our population. Funny how that works. One out of every hundred Americans is behind bars, perhaps a fifth of them deservedly so.

www.southernstudies.org...

Hurley couldn't pay the fine because she had to pay the Georgia Department of Corrections $600 a month for room and board. Hurley spent nearly a year in prison - from a 120-day sentence -- due to her inability to pay the fine before the SCHR was able to get her released.

Capitalist Punishment: Prison Privatization and Human Rights
www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_2

Prison Profiteers: Who Makes Money from Mass Incarceration
www.amazon.com...=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

America's Prisons: The Movement Toward Profit and Privatization
www.amazon.com...=pd_sim_b_8

We lam-blast North Korea for their "work prison camps" and have traitors doing the same in this country.

edit on 9-12-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Land of the "Free"

For a country with only 300 million, we sure do have a lot of prisoners compared to the rest of the world:

www.dailypaul.com...

Number of Prisoners: 1st place is U S: 2,019,234 & 2nd place is China 1,549,000
Submitted by Gmartine on Thu, 02/17/2011 - 21:35
in
Daily Paul Liberty Forum
# 1 United States: 2,019,234 prisoners
# 2 China: 1,549,000 prisoners
# 3 Russia: 846,967 prisoners
# 4 India: 313,635 prisoners
# 5 Brazil: 308,304 prisoners
# 6 Thailand: 213,815 prisoners
# 7 Ukraine: 198,386 prisoners

The rest are here:
www.nationmaster.com...

Per Capita
# 1 United States: 715 per 100,000 people
# 2 Russia: 584 per 100,000 people
# 3 Belarus: 554 per 100,000 people
# 4 Palau: 523 per 100,000 people
# 5 Belize: 459 per 100,000 people
# 6 Suriname: 437 per 100,000 people
# 7 Dominica: 420 per 100,000 people

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

750 out of 100,000

75 out of 10,000

7.5 out of every 1,000

BUT how many of those are literally too young or old to end up in prison? How about how many are almost too young or old?

Odds are if you live in America, your family is helping finance a brand new yacht for correction's corp.

It is just a statistic so it is not really reliable, but still this is a pretty track-able statistic I doubt many are left out of it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

When I said they sound similar, I was actually talking about the work side of it, not what you can and can't get brought in. Are your minimum Jails open? Like with no high fences, no fences at all?

Over here they don't have fences and at anytime you can try escape if you have the balls lol

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

No, ours has fences/guards etc, those that are classified to work outside tye fence usually get jobs at local fast food places, hospital laundries, etc

top topics

<< 1   >>

join