It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre Creature Found in 200 Million Year Old Cocoon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+75 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Discovery News is reporting that a "bizarre" creature has been discovered that dates back 200 million years.

The creature, eventually identified as the ciliate Vorticella, was apparently trapped in the mucus from a leech, thus preserving the soft-bodied animal until its discovery.

Here is a description of the creature:

This bell animal lived during the Late Triassic Period, when the Earth was much warmer, with dense rain forests flourishing along what is today the Transantarctic Mountain Range where it was found. At the time, Antarctica was part of the supercontinent Gondwana, though it was still located at high latitudes.

Past research has suggested this coiled stalk, which is used to attach to substrates, may be one of the fastest cellular engines known, changing from a telephone wire-like structure to a tight coil at a speed of about 8 centimeters (3.1 inches) per second -- the equivalent of a human being walking the across more than three football fields in one second

Here's a pic of the little critter

Enjoy!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Wonderful discovery and thank you for the topic!
S+F!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Greetings, ATS!

Discovery News is reporting that a "bizarre" creature has been discovered that dates back 200 million years.

The creature, eventually identified as the ciliate Vorticella, was apparently trapped in the mucus from a leech, thus preserving the soft-bodied animal until its discovery.

Here is a description of the creature:

This bell animal lived during the Late Triassic Period, when the Earth was much warmer, with dense rain forests flourishing along what is today the Transantarctic Mountain Range where it was found. At the time, Antarctica was part of the supercontinent Gondwana, though it was still located at high latitudes.

Past research has suggested this coiled stalk, which is used to attach to substrates, may be one of the fastest cellular engines known, changing from a telephone wire-like structure to a tight coil at a speed of about 8 centimeters (3.1 inches) per second -- the equivalent of a human being walking the across more than three football fields in one second

Here's a pic of the little critter

Enjoy!

My first impression when seeing this was this

A Virus

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I can see the resemblance, for sure...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
sorry bit off topic but always annoys me how interesting threads like this get no attention but yet the " my mom turned into a zombie threads " get like a bazillion stars n flags . c`mon people .

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
That is really cool. That thing is so weird! It is mind blowing when things like this are found and that they existed 200 milliomn years ago.

It makes "me" think..what the heck was going on! Where did (how did) something like this evolve? Just chance? a real find!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great find.
Thanks for the thread. It is always interesting to see a little bit of our past trapped, somehow whole, in one way or another.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Looks like a zombie bug
takes over leaches so leaches would attach to the head and the zombie bug goes into the brain hehe.
excellent find, finding an ancient treasure.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Thanks for the find.
I actually learned something instead of having to prove something today.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by shambles84

"my mom turned into a zombie threads" haha Dam, must have missed those gems.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

i wish there were threads like that

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That's interesting. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
yep were truly living on an alienlike world. Just imagine what els happend and lived on this planet, truly amazing. compared to the earth humans have been here only for a short time, but we have made the biggest impact ever since.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
heck, a double post, haven't had one for long time
edit on 9-12-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Thanks for this. I guess I missed everything about the Triassic period. Never heard of Gondwana or Laurasia.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

since you put it that way. S&F

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice

"my mom turned into a zombie threads" haha Dam, must have missed those gems.
Haha.
Look at smyleegirls signature!

Those 'chick's' taste like chicken.
edit on 9-12-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Neat looking creature. It does look like a virus. Makes one wonder what else is stuck in the mud waiting to be discovered. lol.

It's refreshing to see such interesting things. S&F!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
this is a topic that always interest me , just amazing to think that this critter was alive and wriggeling 200million years ago ! i noticed that it said it was trapped in the mucus of a leech , i wonder what the leech was like

cool pic , dose look a lot like a virus lol

thanks for sharing

rascal
edit on 9-12-2012 by RascalTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
if its a virus maby thats what did away with dinosaurs

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join