Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

DHS and ICE now raiding flea markets...

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) targeted 35 vendors selling counterfeit designer clothing, counterfeit CDs/DVDs and counterfeit sportswear.

What happened, no more lemonade stands and raw milk farmers left to raid?

Government is TOO DAMN BIG. They have nothing to do.

And what the heck is Homeland Security Investigations??? Yet ANOTHER department? Arent they supposed to be dealing with alleged terrorists? Why is ICE involved?

Its bad enough that the FBI is protecting Hollywood's PRIVATE profits with PUBLIC money. Going after people who might copy a movie or share music. Now this...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Apparently this happened to an ATS member...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Actually, being in retail sales, I have seen this a bunch over the years. Except it wasn't ICE, it was the U.S. Marshalls.

Any thing that is NOT copy righted is called "bootlegged" , not licensed, and therefore the person selling the product can get fined which is usually rather high or depending on the items/quantity, jail time.

DO NOT...and I mean DO NOT ever, ever, let me say it again, EVER sell illegal Disney or Loony Tune products.
That is a major No-No in the retail world.

We've known a few who got in trouble for selling sunglasses, CD's and even bumper stickers. Well the bumper stickers is another problem within itself.

Our friends had $16,000 tied up in computer/printer equipment. Plus a years worth of vinyls. They could make any thing you wanted on a bumper sticker.
The reason they could was because they bought a computer chip from a supposedly legit company that claimed they had the right to create any thing.

Well, evidently not.

They were working the Daytona 500 when our lady friend had gone to the restroom and when she returned, several US Marshalls surrounded them and arrested them.

What for you ask?

For selling "illegal" designs on the stickers.
They lost all the cash they had [which was a lot], plus they lost their concession trailer, their computers and all their supplies. They were able to keep their mobile home. They almost lost that due to the fact that it had the "Fear This" logo on the side, which was popular at one time. They were able to prove that it was on their at the time of the purchase so they were given back their motor home. Nothing else tho....

Now then, on top of this mess they had to counter sue the computer that sold them the chip.

Last we saw them, they were down to nothing and both had lost weight.
She was pawning some of her jewelry.

Basically, they lost everything.

It's called Patent Infringement....

edit on 9-12-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

One of my pet peeves is this....

I can take you to 2 places in Texas.....Dallas/Houston.
[Harry Hines/Harwin Ave.]

There you will find wholesalers that have any thing you could possibly need or want.
When you go, you feel like you're in another country because most are run by foreigners and even the street signs are in English and a foreign language.

Now then, this is what gets my goat.

Some how the whole sale companies are allowed to sell illegal/bootlegged products to retailers.
However, if the retailer gets caught selling them to the public, they are the ones to pay.

It doesn't matter what the product, if you get caught selling bootlegged products, you're a goner.

And yet, the wholesalers are never held responsible.

The only thing we can figure is they are selling to us, the retailers, not the public.
So technically, they are not selling the items for a profit, for a living.
Only providing a product for retail companies, which in turn sell it to the public.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is actually ICE's job. We have to remember that DHS is the conglomerate monster of an agency which absorbed 22 other agencies way back when. Unless this garbage is being made in the U.S.....in which case they'd love to find those plants, I'm sure....then it's a customs issue for having been smuggled in as contraband as well as counterfeit. That's my understanding for ICE having the place in it.

BTW... This may interest people..In checking something on this I came across a site showing key offices of Homeland Security. There are 13 of them. I hadn't seen it spelled out quite this way before.

DHS Key Offices / Departments

Click 'More' under "What it Does" and there is a paragraph for each of the 13 "Key" Offices of DHS. Interesting to go over anyway... I'd forgotten a couple of those were under DHS myself. It's a huge thing...too big.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
One would think they would have more pressing places to " raid " with the taxpayers money?

I don't know, seems like a huge waste of resources to me

SS

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Only in America could or would this happen! I live in the UK and used to sell 1000s of copied games at the Barras market in Glasgow at the weekend. Got caught twice and the only thing that happened was a caution on both occasions. Somewhat different now i would imagine!
edit on 9-12-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Agents with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) targeted 35 vendors selling counterfeit designer clothing, counterfeit CDs/DVDs and counterfeit sportswear.

And what the heck is Homeland Security Investigations??? Yet ANOTHER department? Arent they supposed to be dealing with alleged terrorists? Why is ICE involved?

Its bad enough that the FBI is protecting Hollywood's PRIVATE profits with PUBLIC money. Going after people who might copy a movie or share music. Now this...

So just to clarify, you agree these people are doing something illegal, you are just mad the government is enforcing the law. Interesting take.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Vote with bullets.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
What has America come to when people selling counterfeit goods get arrested?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The bootleg industry is basically dumping millions, if not billions, of US dollars overseas to China and other counterfeit countries annually. Money that should be going largely to US based business, or at the very least taxed on imports from other countries.

IThe spread of counterfeit goods has become global in recent years and the range of goods subject to infringement has increased significantly. According to estimates by the Counterfeiting Intelligence Bureau (CIB) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), counterfeit goods make up 5 to 7% of world trade. A report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) states that up to $200 billion of international trade could have been for counterfeit and pirated goods in 2005, and around $250 billion in 2007. Other estimates conclude that a more accurate figure is closer to $600 billion lost, since the OECD estimates do not include online sales or goods counterfeited and sold within the same country.

In my opinion this is great news. This shows that the US is protecting its interests and jobs here in America. Not to mention making sure that China and others "play fair" in the global marketplace.

So I'm very sorry that the people selling ILLEGAL goods, got in trouble. Cry me a river...

Its about time we started protecting our own industries from counterfeit crap being produced and sold overseas.

edit on 9-12-2012 by xmaddness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
What has America come to when people selling counterfeit goods get arrested?

Yeah that is crazy, Next thing you know they will start arresting people who steal things.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

ICE is involved because most of these "counterfeits" are imported into the country. Many from Asia. A lot of people actually do this stuff. Not to mention that a number of sellers, especially in the cities, are also foreign / asian, and some may be illegal, or only on temporary visa, etc... but I would guess mainly the importation angle.

And I agree this is not only more Nanny State BS, but use of the government as the enforcement arm of Big Business, and it is 100% DISGUSTING.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is obviously a set up.......
The wholesalers who "smuggle the stuff get no problems from these pigs.....
The Little guy who bought the stuff gets his ass handed to him big time...(possibly destroying his or her life....
DHS is supposed to protect the small retailers of America right?
The problem lies in selective enforcement.....!
The little guys are easier to fleece for money!
Thats what drives these pigs to do these raids...
This is just another example of corporate enforcement which makes money for the gov bots, and gives DHS agents something safe and cowardly to do with their time....
Thus they dont have to get into the REAL JOB of protecting us from drug cartels and unscroupulous wholesalers/smugglers.and real terrorists who shoot back.....
Anyone walking into a wholesaler with this merchandise should immediately complain to DHS/ICE and see if they actually DO anything about the wholesale end...
IN fact it may be a good business right now turning in these smugglers, as there is probably a percentage reward bled back to the informant......
This is so typical of LAW Enforcement...taking on the small guy and leaving the REAL culprits go free.....
makes me want to puke .
edit on 9-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness

The bootleg industry is basically dumping millions, if not billions, of US dollars overseas to China and other counterfeit countries annually. Money that should be going largely to US based business, or at the very least taxed on imports from other countries.

IThe spread of counterfeit goods has become global in recent years and the range of goods subject to infringement has increased significantly. According to estimates by the Counterfeiting Intelligence Bureau (CIB) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), counterfeit goods make up 5 to 7% of world trade. A report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) states that up to $200 billion of international trade could have been for counterfeit and pirated goods in 2005, and around $250 billion in 2007. Other estimates conclude that a more accurate figure is closer to $600 billion lost, since the OECD estimates do not include online sales or goods counterfeited and sold within the same country.

In my opinion this is great news. This shows that the US is protecting its interests and jobs here in America. Not to mention making sure that China and others "play fair" in the global marketplace.

So I'm very sorry that the people selling ILLEGAL goods, got in trouble. Cry me a river...

Its about time we started protecting our own industries from counterfeit crap being produced and sold overseas.

edit on 9-12-2012 by xmaddness because: (no reason given)

I agree. I'm amazed when people do something illegal and cry un-fair!
You do something illegal and get caught, you pay the price. People have to realize you can't pick and choose which laws to follow!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nazi this, facist that... That is what copyright enforcement is supposed to be. Busting those who make profit from other peoples creative works illegally.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Nazi this, facist that... That is what copyright enforcement is supposed to be. Busting those who make profit from other peoples creative works illegally.

This basically sums up most of these people.
Top Pirate Party Member Has DMCA Takedown Notices Issued In Her Name
Pirating is ok, unless it's my book then you need to stop.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Best place to buy bootleg stuff is the Philippines.

They're so poor theres nothing they could do to stop the trade over there. They aint even checking people flying back from there to see what they're bringing back.

The mexicans selling bootleg stuff at the flea markets....i dont think they fear getting caught either....too poor to care.

top topics

join