It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey Hard-Core Christian Right Conservatives! Here's How Backwards You Really Are!!!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jaguarsky

You talked to him frankly about sex, and that is good.

You also taught him that as long as you don't get her pregnant its ok.

I'm sure the parents of your son's "liasons" really appreciated their daughters being used by him for his own gratification.

Ah yes, the tears and the emotional scars.....

You're kidding yourself if you think he is monogamous.

Just don't get her pregnant, and it's all ok......

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by milominderbinder

I am from New York, where sex education is taught liberally in all public schools and yet they are among the highest teenage abortion rates in the nation.

Maybe this is true, but you're leaving out the part where parents in this other country are far more liberal in their attitudes, and don't try to punish or shame their children for attempting healthy exploration of their own sexuality.

It is true that christians aren't entirely to blame. They do play a massive role. But so does the media (which often seems to push judeo-christian viewpoints.... ) and societal pressure in general. It is a FACT that Americans generally have a much more reserved and prudish attitude toward sex than most of the rest of the world. Christian or not.

Have any of you ever traveled to a foreign country and watched television? The first time I did, and saw bare female breasts on normal cable television (not a "premium" channel) in the middle of the day, my jaw nearly hit the floor. My native host shrugged and said "yeah, so?" In the USA even the human body is looked on as being a dirty, sinful, tempting thing. We're far closer in that regard to the Arab MUSLIMS that many americans (pointlessly) fear, than our European cousins.

It is a well known fact to anyone who bothers to make a serious study of human nature and human behavior that prohibitive-style policies very often have the opposite effect than the one intended. Look at alcohol prohibition, or that other similar still-ongoing prohibition which we can't explicitly discuss.... rates of usage were lower prior / after prohibition, and higher during. This model has been proven in other countries as well, repeatedly.

I feel that your using New York as an example is also somewhat disingenuous. Your comment assumes that all these children are getting the same liberal education. There is an obvious economic issue at play in some areas there. Some of those schools are just NOT awesome. Some of the students won't be paying attention, and will instead get more messages from the media and/or their parents. Some students will be privately educated. Many will drop out, same result as the kids not paying attention. And I'd venture to guess that if you compared teen sex and abortion rates of rich white suburbs, and certain areas of new york city (or any poor neighborhoods, generally speaking) you will see higher rates in the poor areas. I could be wrong on that last one, though I suspect I'm not.

The fact is that some of You as parents may be actually increasing risk to your children by not talking to them, or talking down to them, or attempting to shame them or punish them for that which is a natural exploration and expression of their humanity.

I find it particularly amusing that Christians would have issue with this. GOD is the one who made the human body. GOD is the one who designed sex and gave humanity a healthy appetite for it so as to perpetuate the species. God even commanded it. And god is the one who decides at which age each of us will "reach maturity," sexually speaking. I agree that sexual maturity is not quite the same thing as total maturity, and that people who are less mature are at greater risk for making mistakes... but this is why it's important we have an attitude of openness, so there can be an open dialogue-- something which will rarely happen for those parents who choose the shame route.

Or maybe our loving God just lets us reach sexual maturity before we're fully capable of making highly informed and carefully-weighed decisions in order to test us, morally, and possibly damn us, right?

I really wish people would lighten up on the whole sex thing. Especially christians, but not just them. I suppose that's truly wishful thinking.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's counter-intuitive?

Like using anti-bacterial soap for everything, and then finding super-strong strains of adapted bacteria living among us? Hrmmm.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom

I'm no fundamentalist nor am I a virgin. But that doesn't mean I'd allow my child to whore herself out. I believe in morals, I believe in loving the person you sleep with. And no, I don't mean puppy love. Children today are bombarded with sex, sex on TV, in music, in magazines...

You claim that Christians are a problem. Well, I think people like you are the problem. You don't see a problem with how it is today. You think it's totally fine for children to have as many sexual partners as they wish.

I sort of agree with what you are saying here. I personally believe that sex is better when you are in a meaningful relationship. I don't know if its a matter of morals for me - it's more a matter of psychological well-being. How I plan to handle it with my daughter is to tell her about protecting herself physically as well as emotionally. Meaningless sex with lots of individuals is hollow, and doesn't foster good self-esteem - not to mention dangerous, if it's not protected sex.

When my daughter is in a relationship and wants to start having sex, I'm not sure I would openly invite them to do it in my house - but I don't think that matters. They'll have it wherever they can find a place
And if I'm not home, they'll probably do it in my house anyway. The point is, I won't really have a problem with it, as long as she is prepared physically and emotionally.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with the topic at hand.

Do you realize just how far off-topic you've taken this discussion?

And we're basically arguing over # that 99.9% of the population has no use for.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by MarkJS

Muslims are no different to christians, jews, hindus, confuscists, budhists

Ah... there is a Huge difference... Only in Christianity, does God Himself send His Only Son- to die for the sins of mankind.... so as to redeem man from their own sins/problems.

Who is god in your opinion? Are you going to call me a heretic for asking this simple question?

Heretic!!! No... just kidding.
no.... just ask God... who He is.. He is WELL able to answer that "??"

edit on 9/12/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

Daughters have "liaisons" too. Some of them leave emotional scars on the boys involved.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but women have sexual needs, just like men. In fact -- most men are completely unable to fulfill those needs through traditional intercourse. In fact -- this number is close to 70% of all women, and guess what? They fake it because they don't know how to talk to you about it either.

Human's are a tragedy, because we have the ability to learn, adapt, grow and understand almost ANYTHING, but we don't -- because it is easier.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

How can you say they tried to prevent them from anything? You mean they don't want to be forced to provide coverage as it is against their beliefs.

It's not against "their" beliefs. 99% of Catholic women admit to having used birth control. The only people's "beliefs" it's against is the Catholic Church's accountants who have calculated that:

More Catholic Babies = More Future Catholics = More Money.

Besides...since when does "beliefs" allow one to selectively choose which medications ought to be covered which HAVE BEEN PRESCRIBED BY A MEDICAL DOCTOR?? By that same rule of logic YOUR employer could all of a sudden profess that they have become devout Christian Scientists and deny coverage for YOU on everything except for chicken soup and wishes.

Let's not also forget that making a legislative exception for the Catholic Church's "beliefs" is, by definition, Unconstitutional and therefore could theoretically ALSO be construed as even being treasonous.

No, I don't believe in abortion under normal circumstances just because someone was irresponsible, but that's my belief and I don't feel like it should be pushed on others.

That's cool. Nobody here is trying to persuade you one way or the other. I'm just correctly noting that statistically the BEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE way to reduce teenage pregnancy and abortion is to embrace the EXACT OPPOSITE stance that the die-hard christian right does.
edit on 9-12-2012 by milominderbinder because: formatting

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by beezzer
And why point out just christianity?

Islam has a much harsher tenent than christianity, or is this just a bash-thread?

Am I surprised that the mods haven't placed this in RANT yet?

Where's the "rant"? It's simply scientific and empirical data which shows that the Christian Right has the absolutely dead wrong approach to preventing teen pregnancy and abortion.

How is that not "political madness" given the fervor which people refuse to accept reality??

What I'm surprised about is how the progressive political machine that teaches it's agenda in schools and promotes such behaviour in the media is ignored.

Ummmm...it wasn't ignored in the media. It was, in fact, reported on by the media in the link I provided at the onset of the thread.

If it was ignored by the media...I probably wouldn't have been able to give you a link to the story...could I???

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Even if confronted with this data, US conservative policy will not change, because they believe the ends don't justify the means, in my opinion. They would rather avoid their own moral guilt by frowning on teenage sexuality, even if loosening up would accomplish less pregnancy termination, which is what they supposedly want.
What they think they want.
In the end, it is about control.

edit on 9-12-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Daughters have "liaisons" too. Some of them leave emotional scars on the boys involved.

That is true.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but women have sexual needs, just like men. In fact -- most men are completely unable to fulfill those needs through traditional intercourse. In fact -- this number is close to 70% of all women, and guess what? They fake it because they don't know how to talk to you about it either.

Have you ever wondered why that is?

I think a mentally stable woman needs to respect the man she is with.

She needs to feel safe and loved.

Insecurities or prior abuse can cause problems in a relationship.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Then I've had a hostess at a Mexican restaurant (great food) kiss me.. and then tell me and my wife that her and her husband are immigrants (illegal, probably) and that "she really wants a baby".

Huh.. I know that if an illegal has a baby, that they can probably stay in the country..... ya... that's right. I get it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv
reply to post by MarkJS

Actually America's founders had various religious views - some of them weren't even Christian.

no... most of them were Christian. The Constitution reflects that, in that one of the first things it mentions is the existence of a Creator.

You've been duped by the public school system... lies. Do some real research and you will see different.
-one example

LOL.

The word "creator" appears nowhere in the United States Constitution. Neither does the word "god", "jesus", "heavenly father", "christ", or anything else that is overtly of a christian nature.

Here is the link to the US Constitution.
www.usconstitution.net...

Here is a link to an article that The Onion (America's Finest News Source) wrote about you.
www.theonion.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

And ironically, you don't find that an ignorant thing to say?

What kind of Christian are you? The bigoted type?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just a little feedback for the OP:

This thread would have gone a lot better if you would have framed it differently.

EG: Here are the statistics for the Netherlands. Here are the statistics for the US;

Why is there such a variance?

What are the root causes of this variance?

What ideas can we incorporate -- outside of teen sex sleepovers -- that might benefit our own country and cultures deplorable rates (and glorification of) teen-pregnancy, STD's and abortion?

Give us a chance to FIGHT ignorance with reasoned discussion of facts. We are capable of it. We don't have to build straw-men to do the heavy lifting for us.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

I think those reasons are a part of it. The other reasons are probably physiological. A woman's sex organs are NOT the birth-tube (vagina). The woman's sex organs are in the pubic mound, and -- physiologically separate from the birth canal.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Link to Constitution.org (see 2nd paragraph)

Like I said... your secular, godless, public education is of no value.... Sorry to tell you at this stage of the game.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Who is god in your opinion? Are you going to call me a heretic for asking this simple question?

Heretic!!! No... just kidding.
no.... just ask God... who He is.. He is WELL able to answer that "??"

God is leader of the elohim. Satan is leader of the nephelim. Neither are creators per say.

I have no problem being called a heretic by the demonic leadership of the church!
edit on 9/12/12 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Then you would have no problem about asking God (yes, God, the God of the Universe)... what's up.... I'm taking.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Just a little feedback for the OP: This thread would have gone a lot better if you would have framed it differently. EG: Here are the statistics for the Netherlands. Here are the statistics for the US; Why is there such a variance? What are the root causes of this variance? What ideas can we incorporate -- outside of teen sex sleepovers -- that might benefit our own country and cultures deplorable rates (and glorification of) teen-pregnancy, STD's and abortion? Give us a chance to FIGHT ignorance with reasoned discussion of facts. We are capable of it. We don't have to build straw-men to do the heavy lifting for us.
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

The problem is the OP has an agenda.

As I outlined in an earlier post the source for the youtube video has a political agenda to

Defunding Abstinence only education

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join