It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why does John care if we like Ruskies?" A re-examination of the John Titor story

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

that's your opinion. I think 90% of the people who followed this back in '05 agree it was the haber bros. I was in early on that and nothing has changed my mind since.

You are naive if you believe that to be the case. And that's all I'm going to say.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
iMAGINE TIME
as a naked tree from tip to roots......
The ground level is the now...The" event horizon" if you will permit a theft.....
The past is the root system, the future ,the trunk leaves and branches......trunk = main timeline branches =alterante future timelines....The root system is the myriad individual paths taken by the participant awarenesses....
perhaps the future fighters of Titors world, were willing to accept a certain amount of timeline drift in order to carry on their fight.
Sending Titor back caused a more dramatic shift than they anticipated maybe?
The alternate future got switched to a differtent branch ....

edit on 8-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

that's your opinion. I think 90% of the people who followed this back in '05 agree it was the haber bros. I was in early on that and nothing has changed my mind since.

You are naive if you believe that to be the case. And that's all I'm going to say.

the titorites are in the VAST minority

and this is a conspiracy board

lol

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

What the hell is a "titorite"? Another stupid word to belittle people who believe in something outside the mainstream?

I clearly said I think it's a hoax.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
If the date of the civil war is the sticking point, I think of the Gulf Wars/Iraqi-Afghan wars.
As someone from 2030-40 were to write about this time period, it would not surprise me to hear it
described as a 20 year conflict and counting.

When the first Gulf War 1991 started to when it was just No fly Zones and embargoes to hot wars again in 2001,
might seem as semantics to later generations who would not see the distinction particularly as the second war set has not had any particular nomenclature applied to it.

Whoever writes the history books of the future will be the ones to nitpick and decide if it's one long conflict or two or even three or will roll into an eventual third world war that might even be said to have started in 1991 for all we know.
When the 100 Years War started or even decades in, it would have been impossible to define as "The Hundred Years War".

I am on the fence about this whole thing. Mostly because I can't see a rationale for or anything to be gained by making this up.

Very well said.

The supposed "inconsistencies" and "failed predictions" in the John Titor story are all a matter of historical interpretation.

I am unbelievably pleased that so many posters have noted and elaborated on this point.

All of that being said, I still think the story is a hoax: I just think it is perhaps the best hoax in living memory.

I would also like to add that I've not heard Titor described as a history scholar.
Now I'd like to add we should take into consideration that he is not described as a history major.
So he is piecing together history that occured at age 1 to early teen years here.

I am pretty good with history but am subject to get dates wrong. As I noticed above I wrote 2001 as the start of the second stage of Gulf Wars when in actuality it was 2002.

I might be fuzzy on the exact beginning and ending of Vietnam. I couldn't tell you for certain the beginning and ending of the Korean Conflict either, because I wasn't born yet. Or too young to know about it firsthand.
I feel like that is how it would be to people in the 2030s.
You would have a generalized knowledge of about when and how a war began.
Only later to find out that the truth was withheld or changed to suit the victors and also an alternative histor recorded by the losers.
History is more or less fluid and imprecise under the best of circumstances.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

If the date of the civil war is the sticking point, I think of the Gulf Wars/Iraqi-Afghan wars.
Is someone from 2030-40 were to write about this time period, it would not surprise me to hear it
described as a 20 year conflict and counting.

When the first Gulf War 1991 started to when it was just No fly Zones and embargoes to hot wars again in 2001,
might seem as semantics to later generations who would not see the distinction particularly as the second war set has not had any particular nomenclature applied to it.

Whoever writes the history books of the future will be the ones to nitpick and decide if it's one long conflict or two or even three or will roll into an eventual third world war that might even be said to have started in 1991 for all we know.
When the 100 Years War started or even decades in, it would have been impossible to define as "The Hundred Years War".

I am on the fence about this whole thing. Mostly because I can't see a rationale for or anything to be gained by making this up.

So what in 2005 could be the start of the "civil war"? We are already at the point in Titor's timeline there should be a split America, with 2 factions, in actual open armed conflict. It's clearly bogus.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I just think he was wrong about the date.
I was comparing it to me trying to recall when the first shots of the Korean Conflict were.
More than likely, I might be off by a year. I am going to guess 1950.
World War II I think began in 1938, but for many people as far as they are concerned, WWII began in 1941.
I am saying it is predicated on what history is written about these times in the future.

You have to consider we are living in times of the internet and the famed Rabbit Hole.
And dealing with the recollections of what he might have been taught in schools from 2012- 2018 or whenever he graduated high school allegedly, to when he attended college. Recalled by someone who is living in 2036.

Quick when was the Alabama church bombing? When was the Selma march when dogs were released?
What year did Rosa Parks refuse to sit at the back of the bus?
See this too deals with a sort of civil war. That's why I am not sure what would be considered by "history" in the future concerning events about the past. A lot of it depends on the person's perspective as to what years would stand out of event that happened 30 years earlier in a world turned upside down.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I just think he was wrong about the date.
I was comparing it to me trying to recall when the first shots of the Korean Conflict were.
More than likely, I might be off by a year. I am going to guess 1950.
World War II I think began in 1938, but for many people as far as they are concerned, WWII began in 1941.
I am saying it is predicated on what history is written about these times in the future.

You have to consider we are living in times of the internet and the famed Rabbit Hole.
And dealing with the recollections of what he might have been taught in schools from 2012- 2018 or whenever he graduated high school allegedly, to when he attended college. Recalled by someone who is living in 2036.

Quick when was the Alabama church bombing? When was the Selma march when dogs were released?
What year did Rosa Parks refuse to sit at the back of the bus?
See this too deals with a sort of civil war. That's why I am not sure what would be considered by "history" in the future concerning events about the past. A lot of it depends on the person's perspective as to what years would stand out of event that happened 30 years earlier in a world turned upside down.

The problem is that the war needs to be far progressed at this point as in 2015 Russia nukes us. Now the whole war scenario makes zero sense as Russia would be turned to glass by Submarines carrying tactical nuclear weapons. So yes, 2005 might be an error, maybe it was 2008. We are about to hit 2013. If I asked what year did Pearl Harbor get bombed you may be off by a few years, you would not say 1950. Your explanation held water 5 years ago, it no longer does. This is a clear hoax.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Regardless of what you think of John Titor, the story has captivated and fascinated an entire generation. If you like the concept I urge you to watch the anime Steins Gate. It actually uses the Titor story as a backdrop for an interesting view of time travel and world lines. Crunchyroll is a good place to start if you are looking for episodes.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hold on a minute people...OP clearly stated it was a hoax in the opening paragraph.

It is generally agreed that the John Titor story is an elaborate and imaginative hoax, and the evidence certainly does seem to point this way. Two brothers living in Florida (one who is an aspiring writer and owns the John Titor trademarks, and another who was aware of the IBM 5100/Unix 2038 issue) are often identified as the hoaxers.

He/she is offering a alternative theory...so we non believers need not jump in and scream hoax. I believe it is 100% percent BS, so I am not defending this thread due to belief in the subject matter,

Threads like these should always have something like the opening posts...letting people know the story they are about to tell may or may not be true...then I would not have issues with most of the believer threads.

edit on 9-12-2012 by kerazeesicko because: I CAN

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
haber was an entertainment lawyer

his brother was a techie

they cooked up the story to sell it to hollywood

and by now we should have seen 108 waco like events and nukes from russia

lol

the best part of the story is how the devices would have weighed over a million metric tonnes and been hotter than the surface of the sun

lololol
edit on 8-12-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

Exactly! The problem with these "time traveller" and "prediction" stories, is eventually they run into the time they claim to be from/predicting. They usually are "not too far off" for something next week (unless we are really talking about something strange, like "we will all turn into anthropomorphic cats tomorrow" or similar), but the further out we go, the worse they are for being right.

Indeed if you look at (say) Nostradamus, you get people doing the mental equivalent of twister to fit something to an event. OR as happened after 9/11 making up new material.

Last year we saw someone (ren1999) come on here claiming to be Titor, I've known him on line since the early 1990's, and he like Haber et al, engineers "interesting ideas" and runs with them. Its as if every kook, Troll, and wack job has to attach themselves to a story.

We saw it with Y2K, it was "the end", we are seeing people try the same thing with the Winter/Summer (I'm southern hemisphere) Soltice and the Mayan calendar "ending" (it is not). You get the odd opportunist wanting to get into the "post 2012 apocalypse" world.

So back to Titor.... don't fall for it being anything beyond a cute hoax, that has out lived it's time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join