It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House wants a "Black Box" in every car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Right now you can be:

Tracked with your cell phone either by GPS or by the cell towers

Tracked by Facebook, Email, Snail Mail

Have your cell/home phone conversations listed to by federal government just because

All Your internet activity based on your IP address

Unless you are living off the grid, everything you do can be tracked by the "FEDS" and used against you. My suggestion would be to not commit any crimes and pay attention while you drive so it isn't your fault.
edit on 12/8/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper
reply to post by PsykoOps

How does it just record the seconds before a crash? Did it know you were going to crash? I believe that it will always be tracking your movements.

This is m exact problem with this. It does
NOTHING to curb let alone detect cell phone use or texting but is
Perfectly set up for tracking movement and location without worrying about nuisances like that
bothersome 4th amendment getting in the way. To the people who think it's a great idea, please install it on your vehicle. If it suits your purpose gomfor it. Ill pass in this intrusive tech for myself and my family.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by Rezlooper

OnStar is still going and thriving strong. They are owned by General Motors who created the technology. It comes factory installed on most of their cars with a free year of OnStar.

I think the Blackbox idea and Onstar are great. OnStar representatives will stay on the phone with you if your tired, they call you if they think your in an accident and would never automatically lock you in your car after an accident. They can lock your car down if it is stolen and always knows where it is at.

I would think as long as you are not living a life of crime and giving the government reasons to use these tools against you, you should have nothing to worry about.

yes it's great if you yourself decide to have it in your car.
but being forced to have it, is not freedom it is one of the first steps to a total police state.
having this in your car, is the govt always knowing where your car is,and that means nine out of ten times, they know where you are, or someone in your family.
is that freedom or, is that surveillance by the state. it doesn't matter if your a criminal or not they will know where you are.
edit on 8-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I would think as long as you are not living a life of crime and giving the government reasons to use these tools against you, you should have nothing to worry about.

I would think that as long as I am not living a life of crime, the government should have no reason to worry about me. I think I will go into scrambler equipment. There's going to be a ton of money to be made.

As a bonus, the misses and her mum wont be able to phone trough my Rock station

I can't wait!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Black boxes don't track plane locations. There's no reason to believe that a black box on a car would track the cars location. It just says how the car was being operated.

If there's a crash with no survivors and no witnesses it would help to know if the driver was braking, speeding up or driving normally. If you're on this website you're likely capable of being tracked right now, so if a safety device on your car worries you then your activity on this website should be setting off all your spidey senses.

Another irrational fear from many of the people in this thread.
edit on 8-12-2012 by links234 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It's for the "Mileage Tax".

The Obama administration wants to spend $556 billion over the next six years on transportation projects, but they may have to get creative to pay for them. One "practical option" could be taxing drivers based on their mileage, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is reporting.

Linky

Just another way to tax us.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
reply to post by syrinx high priest

No, but having the freedom to travel freely without your government knowing everywhere you go is important to me.

This country is losing more freedoms everyday because people like you don't mind trading freedoms for the possibility of being safer from some imagined boogeyman.

Someday we will have sensors in our toilets to monitor what we expel to make sure were eating healthy enough, but that would be good right........

Maybe they can figure a way to tap into our optic nerve so they can log in when they want and see that were not doing anything wrong through our own eyes.....

You CAN NOT LEGISLATE COMMON SENSE AND MORALITY. Pass all the stupid laws you want and it will not stop people from texting, eating or drinking while driving.

So by all means whenever we see somebody doing something we don't like or may be unsafe lets pass a law...
we need more laws there isn't near enough and the government don't have complete control of my life just yet!

Here's an idea. Instead of trading freedoms for this how about new car manufactures install a device that blocks cell signals whenever the ignition is turned on. You want to call or text then pull over and turn the key off!
edit on 8-12-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

Excellent post, well said!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

It's always "If you're not living a life of crime, what are you worried about?" I'm on a conspiracy theory website, maybe I'm just a little paranoid about big bro tracking my every move. I know, they already have us by the balls with cell phones, facebook, google, cameras, our computers, gps trackers in our vehicles already, you name it. Just not ready to concede yet!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
When the white House buys me a brand new Mercedes...then they can put a black box in it.....

Des

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by oper8zhin

you do know that not all states have hands free laws so making a black box to report such things might not be legal in all areas or even relevent

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

not a fan of this tech by any means but also is relevant to point out that not all states require annual registration( i have permanent registration on my 1967 toranado,my f150 and my jeep never have to pay to register them again for their entire life and im in montana) but i do like the idea of it being either or as im not really a fan of vehicle registration as the fees are getting crazy these days

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
Black boxes don't track plane locations. There's no reason to believe that a black box on a car would track the cars location. It just says how the car was being operated.

If there's a crash with no survivors and no witnesses it would help to know if the driver was braking, speeding up or driving normally. If you're on this website you're likely capable of being tracked right now, so if a safety device on your car worries you then your activity on this website should be setting off all your spidey senses.

Another irrational fear from many of the people in this thread.
edit on 8-12-2012 by links234 because: spelling

Actually, the electronics plant I am working at has completed a test on a trace control device. It houses a gps tracking system and dual G3 lines (to phone home.). The box purpose is to implement autonomous speed ticketing and motorway taxing on mileage. It however can't distinguish if you drive too fast or are driving during or outside rush-hour so you get higher or lower tax rates. This will be filtered out of the data the device sends to it's receiving end, that means, all data will be send. It's clear to me that this device is rather capable of becoming more than a speedometer.

The fear isn't completely irrational I'm afraid.

Passwords anyone?

edit on 8/12/12 by D.Wolf because: typo

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Particularly with more and more cars running on fuels other than gasoline and diesel. Even more reason for these black boxes.

reply to post by D.Wolf

That's pretty amazing. Any way you can divulge what this technology is specifically being developed for? There are no laws (in the US) to tax on milage yet and, so far as I know, no state has implemented a way to automatically ticket people for speeding based on their driving.
edit on 8-12-2012 by links234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by beezzer

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Particularly with more and more cars running on fuels other than gasoline and diesel. Even more reason for these black boxes.

As I am opposed to the existing taxes we already pay, any "vehicle" for new taxes (forgive the pun) is just futher proof that the government won't be happy until they take everything we earn and just provide an allowance.

I don't wish to derail the thread and go off on an anti-tax rant, so I'll just suffice to say that this new tech is a bad idea on a number of levels.

My humble opinion only, of course.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
if they install them people will just find a way to take them out lol

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Imagine then people will roll down the window and hold their cell phones outside the car trying to text at arms reach!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Flo at Progressive Insurance is already pushing this BS. Insurance companies won't make it mandatory but I'm sure in the future if you don't have it they will jack your rates thru the roof.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Actually, the electronics plant I am working at has completed a test on a trace control device. It houses a gps tracking system and dual G3 lines (to phone home.). The box purpose is to implement autonomous speed ticketing and motorway taxing on mileage. It however can't distinguish if you drive too fast or are driving during or outside rush-hour so you get higher or lower tax rates. This will be filtered out of the data the device sends to it's receiving end, that means, all data will be send. It's clear to me that this device is rather capable of becoming more than a speedometer.

The fear isn't completely irrational I'm afraid.

Passwords anyone?

Thanks for that info bit... to track mileage of company vehicles at first, but then every car. Smart speedometers...

Like "smart meters" on our utilities. Little cell phones hooked up to monitor your daily household activity. More and more activity as each new revision comes out.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

There's actually an active thread over in the General Conspiracy forum that's discussing the privacy concerns when it comes to modern technology.

There are a lot of people interested in directly monitoring their energy usage. There's already dozens of apps for that. It's all about the idea of personal control over your things.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

Your point being helpful or just moderating the thread?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join