It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House wants a "Black Box" in every car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Talk about major invasion of our privacy. The feds now want a airplane type black box in every car so that they can see why accidents happen and who's to blame. Yeah right! I'm sure that's the only reason, right. How far will they go and how much freedom are we willing to continue to sacrifice before we put a stop to this madness? We don't need a black box in every car. What are your thoughts on this?

White House wants a black box in every car

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
good

I put 100 miles a day on my truck at work. people are morons. they are texting all the time and drive like 11 year olds

I'd be fine with dashboard camera's as well

might save lives

but having the freedom to text and drive like a moron is more important, right ?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

You know its coming. They have tried everything else at one time or another. Remember OnStar?

www.onstar.com...

Too safe, secure and comfy for me...

One night you are on the side of the road making whoopie with your "other wife" and suddenly the voice of OnStar comes on and says, "I have detected your car has been in an accident and emergency vehicles are on their way. Please remain calm, I am locking the doors for your safety."

Its two way combo so they can listen in too. One day they'll add smoke alarms and weed smoke alarms and alcohol alarms...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I had a friend disable the OnStar system installed in my car when I bought it.

Des

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

and how exactly will these black boxes be able to tell if you were texting?didnt see anythign about detecting wifi or 3 g signals it seems it will just beable to tell if you hit the gas or the break right before a crash although it is good to see they will still need a warrent if they want to access these boxes in the future if they are ever built

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Not much of a invasion of privacy if the black box records last minute before crash or whatever that small time was. Not a bad idea.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I was under the impression they were already installed on newer cars. I thought it recorded MPH and other things during a crash. I think Progressive Insurance has something like this that will record driving habits.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!! Anything to document errors in driving and reveal the guilty party involved in traffic collisions is a good thing.

People on the roadways today are driving like they are DRUNK. They are NOT paying attention because they just cannot stop TEXTING while driving. WHY??!! WHY CANT IT WAIT??

They need to somehow design something into this Black Box that reveals if the guilty driver in collisions was texting at the time of the accident. And if so, that driver should be given JAIL TIME and a HEFTY FINE. Its UNACCEPTABLE whats going on anymore on our roadways and anything to prevent this recklessness is good. People ruin things on their own.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

How does it just record the seconds before a crash? Did it know you were going to crash? I believe that it will always be tracking your movements.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

No, but having the freedom to travel freely without your government knowing everywhere you go is important to me.

This country is losing more freedoms everyday because people like you don't mind trading freedoms for the possibility of being safer from some imagined boogeyman.

Someday we will have sensors in our toilets to monitor what we expel to make sure were eating healthy enough, but that would be good right........

Maybe they can figure a way to tap into our optic nerve so they can log in when they want and see that were not doing anything wrong through our own eyes.....

You CAN NOT LEGISLATE COMMON SENSE AND MORALITY. Pass all the stupid laws you want and it will not stop people from texting, eating or drinking while driving.

So by all means whenever we see somebody doing something we don't like or may be unsafe lets pass a law...
we need more laws there isn't near enough and the government don't have complete control of my life just yet!

Here's an idea. Instead of trading freedoms for this how about new car manufactures install a device that blocks cell signals whenever the ignition is turned on. You want to call or text then pull over and turn the key off!
edit on 8-12-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
good

I put 100 miles a day on my truck at work. people are morons. they are texting all the time and drive like 11 year olds

I'd be fine with dashboard camera's as well

might save lives

but having the freedom to text and drive like a moron is more important, right ?

nope, but having the freedom of your own privacy in your own car is.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What even happened to people driving older model cars nowadays? I don't see them on the road much.
That didn't take long to phase out.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
seriously?

i am sure if you got the schematic's for your
newer cars you would see there is already
a device close to this in it...

nothing would suprise me with our govt.

Although it would help with crashes, weed the retard's
on the road out.

Personally though, its just one more reason i wont ever
buy a new vehicle. my old pickup, and older cars
are just fine, rebuild the motors when they go and
be good to go.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

So what, are they going to force install black boxes on everyone's car ? Make us pay for it then a month later come and take the car for no registration ?

It should be a trade off. Black box or registration.
edit on 8-12-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This goes with the good and the bad.

It would be a useful tool for law enforcement and your insurance companies for varies investigations

It will curved alot of criminal activities. But I'm curious, if you attempt to remove it from the vehicle, it could violates federal law or disable the vehicle if that allows it.
edit on 8-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

That is a very good question, so far 'onstar' has not
been a requirement, but its hard to find a car from
that time without it...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
i wonder if people ever wonderd how progressive ins. can tell if your a good driver with that little thing they plug into your cars OBD port.

it's called snapshot and can tell everything you do.
here a link to their page.
Snapshot

How often you slam on the brakes, how many miles you drive and how often you drive between midnight and 4 a.m. can all impact your potential savings. View FAQs

so if they don't get their black box it's all there any way.

edit on 8-12-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Its called a Gyroscope...it detects when "Abnormal" conditions occur and starts the process.

For everyone else:

OnStar is still going and thriving strong. They are owned by General Motors who created the technology. It comes factory installed on most of their cars with a free year of OnStar.

I think the Blackbox idea and Onstar are great. OnStar representatives will stay on the phone with you if your tired, they call you if they think your in an accident and would never automatically lock you in your car after an accident. They can lock your car down if it is stolen and always knows where it is at.

I would think as long as you are not living a life of crime and giving the government reasons to use these tools against you, you should have nothing to worry about.
edit on 12/8/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

The car computer is enough for what they are claiming. What they are actually intending, I think, is far more invasive to the rights and privacy of the individual than allowable.

Why the hell would this be necessary?
edit on 8-12-2012 by ProperlyErrant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join