It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

True Cold Weather Advice

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Not sure what you have against Cabela's or Bass Pro,since they happen to sell the exact brands you go on to recommend? And just because something is camo doesn't mean it's crap, lots of really high quality gear made in camo. I live in northern Alberta, and I like to hunt.Most hunting seasons begin later in the year, so dealing with cold is something you learn to do,or else stay home.

Staying warm while moving around is not a problem,lots of gear that'll do just fine there.It's when you have to sit still for hours on end that it really becomes an issue. For me,wool is one ofthe go-to materials for sure. I do like some nice polar fleece underneath though. Hands and feet are the toughest to keep warm,I find. Those little HotHands heat packets work nice to put in a muff,or in your hat. I like to tuck a couple under my shirt in the kidney area,the heat spreads all through your body.

A good,thick fleece balaclava to keep the face and head warm,although I need to try some of those facemasks that are supposed to let your breath out without freezing up,but still warm teh air your breathing in.

For wool clothing,some army surplus stores sell wool military pants that won't win any fashion awards,but are quite warm. I've used them(with a base layer) hunting coyote's at very cold temps,and even sitting in the snow I was able to stay quite comfortable. For real cold weather comfort while hunting,the Heater Body suit comes highly recommended.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I understand the wisdom behind these things, but good god almighty how I despise the cold. I'm in the Colorado Rockies and it is too cold for me here. Let alone further north.. nope, this girl wants to move south! I want to be somewhere that I don't have to worry about anything freezing, ever!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

You have the right idea.
It works for me!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by Phage

Canada? I'm from Alaska, beeotch please!

When it gets down to negative degrees, the air tends to become very dry. One has to remind themselves to drink water regularly. It's very easy to become dehydrated in a cold an arid environment.

Which reminds me that people need to either keep their water in a thermal bottle or keep it under a layer of clothing to prevent it from freezing! I wonder if adding an ounce of alcohol to say a quart of water would keep it from freezing? Time to experiment this winter.....

Also the problem with wool is not only is it heavy but ice likes to accumulate on it as an outer layer and if you're not careful you'll wind up toting 25lbs of ice on your capote.
edit on 9-12-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
You are absolutely right about Columbia, I tried for years to avoid paying the prices, but my husband bought me a good double layer coat several years ago, and it outperforms my Carhartt in the coldest temps ( -35 to -40).
They are expensive but worth it! I have also found (surprisingly enough) that my Bog rain boots are year round now for me. I also have a pair of Columbia snow boots, but since I bought my Bogs I haven't needed to pull them out. The Bogs are neoprene lined hardcore rubber boots. There are no sweat issues in the winter, and they come up to the top of my calf so they keep me drier than any snow boots. I swear by Carhartts quality as well, they are good in the cold and rough enough to hold up to the work that needs to be done. I refuse to split wood in my Columbia jacket, the fabric will tear much easier, I already have one duct taped patch on it.

Layers, layers, layers!!!! I use the cheap stretchy gloves as a liner for our good waterproof gore-tex gloves and it creates an extra air space for insulation, and they are easy to carry extras, you can always have dry hands inside no matter what. Silk long johns are also one of the biggest perks to playing in the snow, warm, soft, lightweight and they feel so nice. I also agree with everyone on the fleece, it's lightweight, cheap, soaks up little if no moisture, and the kids like all of the cool colors and patterns, you can please everyone there. It is also super easy to work with, you can make anything from a simple pattern. I have a serger, any heavier sewing machine should work, I would not recommend using a smaller craft machine on it though, I won't tell you how I know that either!

I don't camp in the winter, and kids have prevented any long snowmachine trips and such, so I am no expert, but I do keep a 0 degree rated sleeping bag and fleece and wool blankets in my car in the winter, again the layering principle works here too. I have discovered that anything that will create air spaces inside of your clothing, gear or whatever will raise the insulation factor by almost 1 and a half times more than just the fabric alone.

As a side note to Mystik Mushroom, yes they do still make the head socks, I happen to know my honey got me a nice one for Christmas....shhh!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grayeagle

Yep, keeping your electrolyte balance in check is key.

Another trick I'd like to share is keeping a pee bottle in the sleeping bag with you. No one wants to go outside at night when it's really cold to take a leak! The warmth from the urine also helps keep your warm!

If I'm wearing a sorel-type boot with removable liners instead of more technical mountaineering boots, I'll take the liners out and put them under my sleeping bag by my feet. It's really quite nice to not have to put on ice-cold boots in the morning!

I also try to always keep one set of synthetic long underwear in my bag just for in-tent use. After trudging around all day in the cold you are going to sweat -- and crawling into a tent and being able to put on a dry set of thermals feels like luxury!

REI and EMS make good quality ones, Patagonia and Smart Wool probably some of the most expensive. I really can't tell much of difference (except in the cut) as far as performance.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

I've fallen through the ice twice in my life , once as a kid and the other trying to save a young doe that fell through. Luckily both times it was chest deep and we had a small cabin with a woodstove ! There's no better feeling than warming up and getting dried off by a warm fire !!

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

Amen to that! Get those wet clothes off ASAP!

I could later when I have time start to go into stages of frostbite and when you should be *really* worried.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join