It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tangent Arc, Mysterious Rumbling and Infrasound. Another piece to the puzzle??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It has been a couple of weeks since this all came together, but it has taken me some time to make the connections and then to decide to present it to you all to mull it over as you do so well. I just can't keep it myself any longer....

First. It was November 27th. The day started out with the rumbling sound I have come to know so well (check out my tag line and oh-so-many-other threads regarding the same or similar occurances). Difference was, it was LOUD. So loud, that my daughter was scared by it and my friends were posting about it on facebook. I would like to think I brought some awareness earlier this year when it was the loudest I had EVER heard it, so I stepped out and asked the question: "Don't you HEAR that?!" I recorded it and posted it here and on facebook. SO many of my friends DID hear it, including a few in the 911 dispatch center (I used to be a dispatcher) that the police contacted the navy base to see if they were involved. It was said that there were jet engines being fired off, so it was written off. I was never convinced. Okay...back to a couple of weeks ago, on Nov. 27th, it was just about as loud again. Several people commented on it. Never got any kind of confirmation from the Oak Harbor base.

I want to stress that I have lived here in the NW corner of Washington State for over 20 years now. I can say without a doubt that it is NOT A: Train, truck, traffic, fying airplane or other easily explained sound. I have always thought it geological in nature. The 'sound' is felt more than heard. There is a vibration with it. Not everyone can hear it, because it is so low...but you can feel it. It is like that scary rumbling build-up right before the shaking starts in a large quake (you know what I mean if you have experienced it) but it just stops...right before the shaking. I could see it being a jet engine attached to the tarmac with the after-burners roaring and then cutting out (being tested)....except that I am a good 30 miles away from the base and I had friends over 50 miles away hear/feel it, so I don't buy that.

SO...this was going on all morning on the 27th (makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck). I then had to go to Anacortes for a photo shoot (I have started taking photos for people
) and on my way there, I noticed a nice sun dog forming. When I got out of my car at Washington Park (facing Puget Sound) I looked up to see if the sun dog was still there. To my utter AMAZEMENT I saw not a sun halo, but an UPSIDE DOWN rainbow! It was like half of a sun halo, but pointing the wrong way. There were no sun dog, no sun halo, nothing else. Just this anomally. I was in awe and started to taking pictures (already had my camera in hand!) Following is the best picture of it:

I looked this up ofcourse, and discovered that is most likely an Upper Tangent Arc:description

Only thing is, typically you see it 'attached' to a sun halo...but as you can see, there wasn't one. I really think this type of arc is quite rare around here.

So the next piece to this story, was that earlier that day, when the rumbling was so loud, I pulled up GEE to see if I could spot anyting on the siesmos...and I DID! I immediately posted about it on the PNSN facebook site and someone isolated it, ran a filter and posted a picture of it:

Link to image

They then went on to explain that what was so unique about this IRIS station, is that is part of the INFRASOUND network, and that is what they believe it was showing. Here is a link to a oh-so-interesting article about Infrasound:

THE RUMBLE OF DESTRUCTION / Infrasonic sound, too low to be heard by the human ear, may provide clues for predicting volcanoes, tornadoes and earthquakes

Read more:
www.sfgate.com...

(doesn't the title alone make your heart race??!!)

INFRASOUND AT A GLANCE
Infrasound is a low frequency sound below the range of human hearing. It is produced by a variety of natural events - including earthquakes, volcanoes, avalanches, severe weather, ocean waves - and some man-made sources - including aircraft and explosions. It is also used by some animal species to communicate.

How is it different from audible sound?

One of the most interesting properties of infrasound waves is that they travel over global distances without losing their strength. So an instrument in Colorado can detect the sound of ocean waves hitting the coast in California or the roar of a typhoon halfway around the world.

How is it detected?

Infrasound wavelengths are so long that they can be detected only by sensors that take up a large ground area.

What is it used for?

A global infrasound sensor system is being deployed to detect nuclear weapons testing. Scientists are also studying ways to use infrasound to provide advance warning of natural disasters.

Read more: www.sfgate.com...

You can obviously by now see where I am going with this.....at least with the sound/seismo connection. The tangent arc?

Well...those of you that follow my posts/threads these past years know that I make of point of taking pictures of halos, sun dogs, sun pillars, etc. I am now really thinking that this rare tangent arc and the extremely precise ATMOSPHERIC conditions requried for it to happen is all connected with the atmospheric conditions requried for the ultra-low infrasound to be heard.

Am I making sense????

I have seen an huge increase in sun halos/dogs/pillars in conjunction with the rumbling....what I have come now to think of ultra-low/long frequency sound being bounced off the atmosphere. I have now seen what I believe to be auditory/seismic/visual proof of the SAME thing.

So what is it? I really don't know. These sound waves can travel a LONG ways. Maybe it is connected with Japans tectonic movement? Maybe it's an off-shore volcano erupting? Nuclear testing somewhere? The ionosphere being heated up by the compression of rocks prior to a large quake?

So let's dig in my friends. let's do some research and bring it all to the table. I just don't have the time or knowledge to do it all myself. Later tonight I will go through my pictures and perhaps we can try and correlate the dates with tectonic activity. I was limiting myself before to local action...but I think we need to look much wider.

I'll leave you with a link to the tremor map. Put in 11/27/12 and you'll see there were almost 150 tremors that day right in the middle of Puget Sound...so there is another option.

Let's have some scientific fun and perhaps finally find some answers to all these mystery rumbles being heard around the world!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have always thought the sky noises might come from the earth and use the sky as a giant amplifier.. That or they are waves interacting with are ionsphere. Either way I hope its not the sound of the angels trumpets..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I think your post could relate to this post. So many weird things, we have head the sounds and seen flashes of light also.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and this www.howtosurvive2012.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Sorry to say I have not heard any of them sounds as of yet. Actually I am in the middle of the US, 300+ miles to any big city so just wondering if anybody has placed out a map and pinned each sound?
Could give some clues to where they might be coming from. Did hear though its happening all over so might have to make a world map! Good part is if the Angels were blowing, we would all hear it!
I just feel left out sometimes!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Could the pressure caused from hydraulic fracking pumps constantly pulling in gas from the earth have something to do with it? Those natural events you listed all seem to involve vibrational energy and that seems to me what the infrasound detectors detect. If that's the case, I'd reckon the drilling and/or operation and/or explosion of said wells could cause the vibrations felt. Just my 2 pence

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thank you westcoast for sharing this.

I'm off to check into it.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good stuff bud.....ill be bock....off the do a little poking around.......thanks for the brain food.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Interesting stuff, Westcoast.

The break in the cloud almost looks like a toboggan run down from the arc.

I too hope we can see more of these graphs.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by infoseeker26754
Sorry to say I have not heard any of them sounds as of yet. Actually I am in the middle of the US, 300+ miles to any big city so just wondering if anybody has placed out a map and pinned each sound?
Could give some clues to where they might be coming from. Did hear though its happening all over so might have to make a world map! Good part is if the Angels were blowing, we would all hear it!
I just feel left out sometimes!

i know right! i'm right in the middle of the U.S. too.. and i'm way disappointed not to have heard these earth sounds anywhere but on the net.. maybe that means we're in a safe zone :O)
edit on 8-12-2012 by gnosticagnostic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

OP, I too live in the PNW and have experienced "it" check out my sig post for my little experience. I did see "fireballs" during the first experience and have since come to believe that what this is has to do with weather modification. The man in this vid seems to have it nailed down:
Go to 33:45 for some info about rumbling/booms.....I have also noticed many "persistent contrails" and sun halos in the past year, maybe I just never paid much attention before but I never can recall seeing so many here is a couple of pics I took last february:
[img]
[/img

]

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have heard the sounds here in Nebraska as has my family. They do seem vibrational, I will watch the skies here and see if I see the same thing- never thought to look to the sky, Thank you.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
This is very interesting. I've been checking out this site for a while and haven't seen anything local to me. I live in oak harbor and haven't noticed this. I guess I'm going to have to pay a little more attention now.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
I have always thought the sky noises might come from the earth and use the sky as a giant amplifier..

Bingo. It doesn't take a genius to work this out. The rumbling and shaking is most likely underground boring/drilling imo. Everyone is seeking answers from the sky when in fact they should be looking in the opposite direction for answers. I've been saying this for at least a year now.
edit on 8/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by doesntmakesense

Hi dosentmakesense, I can tell you from personal experience that fracking does cause vibrational tones and booms and rumbles and more. You are correct in that.

I live in NW Louisiana and had to leave 2 properties I owned because of the oil/gas companies. We bought lovely, woodsey land and enjoyed watching deer and squirrels and looking at the pines and such. Then, along came the loggers...laid waste to the woods. After that, the oil/gas companies arrived...fracking commenced. Our house and the small town had constant issues with the noises of rumbling, booms, vibrations. The vibrations were so bad, sleep was hard to come by. They built a pumping station behind us as well. Citizens raised cain to proper officals, all to no avail. The noise from the pumpers was tremendous...loud!

Slant drilling may have been some of it as far as vibrations concerned. They aren't supposed to drill within 500 ft. of homes but they don't seem to follow rules/regs very well. We had wells on all 4 sides of our house. The booms from explosives they use and rumbles and "whooshing" sounds when they "blow" a well is disturbing and loud as well. The sounds seem to come from everywhere. If conditions are right, they sound like they are coming from above instead of ground dealys. May not be the case for westcoasts scenario but I wanted to comment about how sounds are definitely a part of the fracking issue. BTW, both properies were sold to oil workers who worked nearby and didn't give a care as to all of the above? Thanx for listening.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Hi westcoast, I posted at another thread here recently...the one about Camp Minden, relevant to unusual sounds hubby and I and some neighbors witnessed late one nite about 2 weeks ago. There were 2 very loud boom sounds and even a slight rumbling like echo afterwards. We called the "proper authorities" but no one had an explanation. It wasn't related to the camp at all as that all occurred in Oct. The sounds seemed like they were from sky direction but hard to say for sure....Now that I think about it, there have been a lot of sun dog looking thingys and rainbow looking cloud formations of late in the area here as well.

The vibrations and booms and other strange events occurring in Texas right now have my interest as well. The 7th and 8th, Texas had 2 small quakes...2.8. Nothing major, but still, it all has me wondering...and those flaming utility poles there. At our one property, the utility pole in our yard used to have a vibrating/hum to it at times. Someone told me once it is normal. Not sure about it? Thanx for listening. Stay safe and well.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is very interesting. I pay close attention to the coast of oragon washington, because of the subduction zone that fuels (The Super Volcano) Yellowstone Nation park ,WY.

I found your story very interesting, because there have been a few 6.0 EQ off the coast of Oregon/Washington this year. This is a diagram of how the sea floor is flowing underneath you right now.

In this diagram it shows a sharp decline at the convergent plate boundary. Now the UNIQUE situation with Oregon/Washington is that the angle at which the sea floor is being subdued underneath isnt sharp at all.

At about 150 Km depths, reactions occurring in the subducting plate release water into the overlying mantle, thus lowering the melting temperature of mantle material.
HOWEVER the subducting plate doesnt reach 150 Km until it reaches (The Super Volcano) Yellowstone Nation park ,WY.

OK now for the PLAUSIBLE scenario. those low frequency waves that you are feeling is speculated to be created from HAARP(like) devices. By focusing on the area of the subducting plates. Its POSSIBLE to increase the speed at which the plates is subdued.

there has been alot of movement under the United States lately I would hate/love to see a Super volcano go off in my life time.

THE END

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Sagitaris

Pieces of metal stuck in the ground, in Alaska, cannot make tectonic plates move.

I honestly don't care what data or link you have. It's not possible.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

I looked this up ofcourse, and discovered that is most likely an Upper Tangent Arc:description

Only thing is, typically you see it 'attached' to a sun halo...but as you can see, there wasn't one. I really think this type of arc is quite rare around here.

Nice shot westcoast!

However it is not an upper tangent arc - it is a circumzenithal arc (CZA).

You can use the same trick (arm/fingers outstretched, and the span between the tips of your thumb and little finger) as you use for sundogs to determine if it's an upper tangent arc that you are looking at, since an upper (or lower) tangent ark will always be about 22 degrees (the same distance your outstretched fingers span) away from the Sun. CZA's will always be much further away, and if you imagine the part that you can't see extending from the part that you can so that it forms a complete circle, that circle will be centered on the zenith, hence the name.

The colours are also much purer than those in an upper tangent arc, so you can see the full spectrum of colours much like a rainbow. The same is also true for CHAs.

Also, it is a relatively commonly seen halo, although in my experience most people don't notice them! I'm sure you will start to see them more now that you have seen your first, and you know what to look for.

Given that CZAs are common (it doesn't really matter much where you are) I don't think there is any connection between them and infrasound... no more than there is with rainbows, clouds (in general), and any other common atmospheric phenomena which you can observe.

In fact, a burst of infrasound is more likely to destroy a halo like this since it would disturb the orientation of the ice crystals which is crucial to halo formation, just as the Solar Dynamics Observatory did to a sundog when it was launched.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Really nice write-up, Westcoast.

The little bit I understand about infrasound, I find fascinating. This blurb from the Wiki on infrasound may explain why some people experience "the sounds", often described as "very loud", and other folks can't hear them at all. (bolding is mine, for emphasis)

The dynamic range of the auditory system decreases with decreasing frequency. This compression can be seen in the equal-loudness-level contours, and it implies that a slight increase in level can change the perceived loudness from barely audible, to loud. Combined with the natural spread in thresholds within a population, it may have the effect that a very low-frequency sound which is inaudible to some people may be loud to others.

Tracking down the source of infrasound sounds a lot more difficult than finding an earthquake epicenter. But if you experience the sound in certain parts of the United States, this Earthscope Array Network Facility page shows a map of all the infrasound sensors in their array.

Scroll down and click on the station nearest your location, then click the "waveforms" tab along the top. You can then load the NCPA microphone or MEMS to see if any strong signals have been observed over the past hour, day, week or month. Using the different filters, gives different output. I'm still trying to find more info on which filters would be appropriate for this...

ETA:
@ Sagitaris-- Actually, the subducting Juan de Fuca plate does reach depths that enable mantle melting much closer to the west coast of NA, and far west of Yellowstone. The evidence for this is the chain of volcanoes from British Columbia to northern California known as the Cascades. They have their own observatory found here. Yellowstone is believed to be fed by a mantle plume, similar to the Hawaiian islands.
edit on 12/9/2012 by Olivine because: add info

edit on 12/9/2012 by Olivine because: spelling

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I doubt people are hearing the infrasound wave itself but a harmonic frequency produced by the original sound that falls into the lower range of our audible range:

Recordings and playback experiments support that elephants use the infrasonic components of their calls for communication. Infrasonic vocalizations have been recorded from captive elephants in many different situations. The structure of the calls varies greatly but most of them range in frequency from 14 to 24 Hz, with durations of 10–15 seconds. When the nearest elephant is 5 m from the microphone, the recorded sound pressure levels can be 85 to 90 dB SPL.[8] Some of these calls are completely inaudible to humans, while others have audible components that are probably due to higher frequency harmonics of below 20 Hz fundamentals.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join