It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are 448 members logged into AboveTopSecret.com right now...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
How many of you will disappear without explanation? I was thinking about this the other day...I wonder how many times a member has ascended/descended only to not be missed by the other members? Ever just seen someone stop being here all of the sudden. If this is a microcosm of the macrocosm, then it stands to reason this has happened at least 1 time a day.

What is my point you ask, don't take life for granted, it can change in a heartbeat. Those that come in here are basically anonymous faces (it is the internet) and we often take for granted the stories and shared information they give us. Sometimes, we strike a friendship with someone and they vanish...we start thinking, oh did I do something wrong...did I say something wrong...and this person is ignoring me....no, most of the time life is real problems that people have to deal with in real time that have nothing to do with the internet buddies they make.

Take what you can from your experience here but ATS is not real life, it is an outlet from real life. I try not to take negativity on, I have enough, unfortunately, there seems to be an abundance of it....why? Because, it is a way to take out frustrations on people you really have no clue who they are and they have nothing invested in your well being, it is the internet, I just do my part, yes I can be caustic at times, but I would pretty much react in person the same way I react in here to any friend who presented any number of topics to me face to face, I cannot say that is the case with most.

From time to time I go to play games on Yahoo, and the people there can be so rude and obnoxious, accuse each other of cheating to play a game, it's ridiculous, but it's the internet. You have no idea the level of intelligence or the age of who you are dealing with, that is why if you do find someone in here that you connect with, don't take them for granted, they may disappear and you will not know why.

This can happen in every day real life too. You may be a waitress at a diner, and the same couple comes in every Friday for dinner, they sit at your station because they like you, that's real, they stop showing up...and you are left to wonder why? They were driving home one night and got killed by a drunk driver, but you did not know for many weeks what had happened...you thought you did something to upset them.

This is just an example...The reason I started this thread is because, I recently had thoughts that I had done something to alienate someone that I made a connection with in here and started thinking what did I do to upset them....then I got a message from them, they had been very busy, but they knew I would feel this way and reached out to me to make sure I did not feel this way. Very few would give a crap...and very few do.

But make no mistake about it, while it is appreciated, I cannot put my worth at risk over someone on the internet, I care for them as I do quite a few of you and hope for lives to have pleasant consequences, but I realize you could just disappear and I would never know why. I will try very hard to not jump to conclusions, but sometimes....

Anyway, take care all of you,

BAW33

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Where are the other quarter million.
That's not much, at that rate you won't even notice.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OOOOOO

Well you did prove one of my points for me. If that is all you got from this post I am sorry to hear that.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good food for thought my friend.

The waitress analogy made me sad.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If I could applause you for this thread I would.
Your words ring true.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
We share because we want to. Anyone can drop off for a large number of reasons. No one is taking anything for granted. Even life is fleeting. Freedom is rare and free sharing with no strings attached is a thin slice of real freedom. Many things are very temporary and come with no guarantees. Being attached is not being loving, it is filled with much pain, that cannot be managed well. Attachment is foolishness that many of us fall victim to. Try to see the bigger picture and live in the now.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
We should all meet in public and introduce our self, that would be wonderful to get a human face on those nicknames and avatars we discuss with.

The only problem is to find the right location, we are spread out all over the planet
I suggest Denmark

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

I suspect if you were to be truly honest with yourself you will see you take things for granted every day.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

Are you sure about this statement?

Being attached is not being loving, it is filled with much pain, that cannot be managed well. Attachment is foolishness that many of us fall victim to. Try to see the bigger picture and live in the now.

Of course being loving is being attached, feeling pain is not a bad thing, not feeling love is worse. Nothing foolish about feeling attachment, it is taking for granted when that love is given, that it is more or less what is perceived.

The bigger picture? I see it everyday, and that is why I call this a microcosm of a macrocosm. Having true love in your heart is very difficult to do when faced with the hatred that runs rampant in this world Today, and for that reason alone, nothing should be taken for granted, but somethings should be taken with a grain of salt...in here and out there.

Assuming things that we do not know...my mother always told me makes an *** out of you and me.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthHurtsDenialKills

Happened to me in real life. It was sad, and I felt like a dope for feeling the way I did at the time. I reached out to their family and they told me that these people had spoken of me and that I was so sweet and they really enjoyed coming to eat dinner with me. Made me cry.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Thank you sweety, I hope you are feeling better, you seemed very stressed the other day from my perspective.

BAW33

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenAngelWings33

Sometimes I'm pretty hard to find for a while. Life outside of the forums takes priority, at least most of the time. I've never ventured away because of anger at anyone at ATS, but I know many here that have had to take a break for a spell to gather their thoughts and get their emotions in check.

It's natural to worry about people who have become a part of our daily lives, whether in "real life" or on the internet. Friends are friends no matter what arena you hang out in. When you're used to seeing or "reading" them every day and all of a sudden they are nowhere to be found sometimes our immediate thought is that something must be wrong. Sometimes something is wrong, but the majority of the time it's just that priorities have to be dealt with and they have other things to focus on- just as happens with friends in our "real world".

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well I tell you...just the other day was listening to the DJ (grooveline) telling the same old, asking the same (profound) questions that you are. He has a viddy which addresses the very concept, but of persons on YT disappearing without a trace, just like this thread. He raps out some sound wisdom, but he also recently yanked several of his best hits, and has scrubbed away some of the original texts...so idk. I just don't know. There were 106 listings last week, then he went private, and his offerings are down to 86 or so and I'm not listening anymore so....

Anyone remember oozyism? I happened to be reading when that one went down...then I realized there's no way to keep up with the new entries. Not a lot to say.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Believe it or not, one of my best friends is someone I met through cyberspace. We have even spent a couple of summers together traveling over 2,000 miles to meet. It's very weird, but I am the only one who seems to understand him and he is the only one who seems to understand me. Otherwise, we feel very alone in this world.

I have a very good ATS buddy who I get to private message at least a couple of times a week. I would miss her dearly.

It kind of upsets me that my 'real' friends in 'real' life aren't as kind, caring, clear-headed, and compassionate. In fact, I often refer to some of them as my 'joke' friends in my 'joke' life where I drive my 'joke' car to my 'joke' job.

There was a time I had to "take a break" from 'real' life. I battled cancer for 3 years in another state. The phone call frequency and visits got systematically reduced over time. And when I came back home, no one really seemed to remember me. All my ties and relationships had died. I was alive in no one's memory. You know, they all had 'real' life to worry about.

So, while this forum may not be 'real' life...some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of chatting with have been introduced to me through ATS or elsewhere on the web.

I am a firm believer in reincarnation. Furthermore, I believe people reincarnate with the people they've known in past lives. In other words, the people surrounding you are the same souls who have always been with you. This may sound silly, but I believe the web has given some people the chance to reconnect with some old soul mates.

I just wish I could meet some soul mates in my own hometown. Instead, all my 'joke' friends are just bringin' me down.

I'm not worried about being missed on ATS. I haven't made enough of an impact to be noticed.

Interesting thread. I constantly think of people in my past and oftentimes wish I could rekindle old friendships. Heck, I even tried contacting some old friends of mine to tell them where I disappeared to with my cancer etc. All I got was a big, fat "Who?"
And the people I meet in 'real' life are usually the kind of people I try so hard to avoid. It's really depressing how so many of my peers have become drugged-out losers.
edit on 9-12-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Well said , Thank you for sharing a very personal view, I have dealt with the Big C and many other life threatening situations. Having TRUE love in my heart has given me the strength to overcome and persevere.

BAW33

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I can certainly relate to your sentiments LTcat16, Thank you for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join