It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DSM 5: Changes to psychiatry manual: Problems in mental health

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It`s called job security, there aren`t enough people with real mental problems to keep all the shrinks in business and making tons of money, so they have to create patients by making up new disorders,illnesses and syndromes that convieniently they know how to treat, for a "small" fee of course.If ever there was a thing called conflict of interest it is alive and well in the Mental health care industry. It`s all a big scam to keep them employed and their bank accounts full.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
It`s called job security, there aren`t enough people with real mental problems to keep all the shrinks in business and making tons of money, so they have to create patients by making up new disorders,illnesses and syndromes that convieniently they know how to treat, for a "small" fee of course.If ever there was a thing called conflict of interest it is alive and well in the Mental health care industry. It`s all a big scam to keep them employed and their bank accounts full.

You're so wrong and you obviously didn't read my post.
Patients don't read the DSM....they just go to psychologists when they are having problems. In other words, the more disorders in the DSM won't change how many people go to psychologists at all.

Some of the symptoms listed might not seem bad to you.....but some things that don't sound serious, can reach a level where they are serious and cause problems in people's lives. 9 times out of 10 people go to psychologist's willingly because they are having problems in their life. So the people who go obviously think these symptoms are interfering in their life.
You guys sound like jackasses judging whether or not these people's problems are serious. You're trying to criticize something you don't understand and put down the medical field. When in fact all you're doing is saying people's problems aren't really problems.

edit on 9-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Putting down people who are struggling is not the intent. I'm questioning the way they are treated, the expansion of medication, and the wide criteria for diagnosis.

I don't think seeking mental health assistance should be limited to people who are struggling in the first place. In all medical fields, preventative treatment is more effective. I believe in many cases, if mental health were given a priority throughout life then the crisis stage would never be reached.

And once a person is in crisis, and may be exhibiting symptoms that warrant diagnosis, that shouldn't automatically be a cause for medication. There are plenty of techniques for reducing anxiety. The trend of increasing diagnosis criteria is a cause for concern when combined with our temporary solution culture, and the abuse of prescription drugs in general.
edit on 12/9/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

And once a person is in crisis, and may be exhibiting symptoms that warrant diagnosis, that shouldn't automatically be a cause for medication. There are plenty of techniques for reducing anxiety.

Absolutely correct. Medication should NOT be the automatic response, depending on the problem, of course. If a person is frothing at the mouth and wielding a butcher-knife at an invisible Giant Land-Walking Squid Alien, then yes, they need to calm down. In that case meds are a palliative and stabilizer.

If, OTOH, the person is able to come to the clinic, describe their problem, and ask for suggestions - then its a different situation.

The trend of increasing diagnosis criteria is a cause for concern when combined with our temporary solution culture, and the abuse of prescription drugs in general.

Exactly true.

The problem is that the majority of people suffering from life-crises of whatever type don't understand how much ACTUAL WORK it is to change behavior and thought patterns. Meds are helpful to stabilize a person's relationship to circumstances; they are also helpful to correct what are now understood to be "chemical imbalances" in the neurology of the brain. Those ideas/theories change continually, however.

Still, putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound is inadequate. People must decide internally whether or not they want to take "therapy" seriously, REALLY figure out what the underlying issue is (if it isn't an organic disorder), and address their maladaptive coping mechanisms, or excessive, unwarranted emotional reaction to stimulus - OR BOTH (which is often the actual remedy) - have to WORK AT IT. Therapy is not a 50-minutes per week type of thing. If the client isn't willing to "work the program" (and I'm not a proponent of AA) that the therapist suggests, the therapist can't do a lot. Not lke in an ER where docs ready the O.R., anesthetize, and carve in to FIX the sucking chest wound.

Good therapy is not a quick-fix. Pills can relieve some symptoms, but they are not CURES for behavioral issues. The two are different techniques, and in the case of mental health, cooperation and willingness of the client to ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE and invest themselves in the objective are not that common. Some decide they'll just carry on in their discomfort, and that is their prerogative....

Basically, you make very good points.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Only 34 percent? I thought we were all a little nuts. Between the sports fans and computer gamers you're already over fifty percent.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by Tardacus

You're so wrong and you obviously didn't read my post.
Patients don't read the DSM....they just go to psychologists when they are having problems. In other words, the more disorders in the DSM won't change how many people go to psychologists at all.

Some of the symptoms listed might not seem bad to you.....but some things that don't sound serious, can reach a level where they are serious and cause problems in people's lives. 9 times out of 10 people go to psychologist's willingly because they are having problems in their life. So the people who go obviously think these symptoms are interfering in their life.
You guys sound like jackasses judging whether or not these people's problems are serious. You're trying to criticize something you don't understand and put down the medical field. When in fact all you're doing is saying people's problems aren't really problems.

edit on 9-12-2012 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

I did not read your other posts, but I did this one. I am certainly not judging anything about the seriousness of people's problems. Certainly there are times that this is, indeed, true. What I sought to point out and give a concrete example of was the way people's lives can be destroyed and disastrously effected by the power of a medical degree and the DSM. Let's take hypnotherapy, as an example. Sure, like anything else, perhaps it has a good application, such as helping one to quit smoking. But, surely, you must agree, it can also be used for disastrous ends, robbing one of their will and determination. And how about lobotomy, let's say.

Certainly, I am giving some extreme examples, but like the death penalty in case of an innocent life, how many times as a society is it okay to be wrong, and to institutionalize the method? And perhaps this is even more important than the death penalty, since you live in your stuck, altered state, whatever that is, long after the
"intervention," for lack of a better word.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You lost me when you said that psychiatrists are good people, and that we need more of them.

We do not need psychiatry AT ALL. Psychology is (or could be) a good idea, and good science (though not anymore so much, on this planet anyway), Neurology is necessary and needed.. but psychiatry?

WHAT do you need psychiatry for? If there is a problem with the psyche, psychology can help with it's logical and experimented, intuitive approach to things. If there's a problem with your brain, Neurology can help there.

What is a mental illness? How do you define it? What is a 'healthy mind'?

Psychiatry has no cures, it has never CURED anyone of anything. It doesn't aim to cure, only to "treat". It is no science either - it cannot show with scientific proof and evidence, where someone's mental illness exists, and measure it in any way. All it can do is stigmatize and label, and then pump lots of chemicals into humans, until they develop tardive dyskinesia, which means they will need even more medications...

Do you know how they come up with mental illnesses? Do they study some real wacko and then write their guesses and conclusions of what mental illness is? No.

The pharmaceutical corporations start from BUSINESS-approach. First they come up with some poisonous concoction in their evil cauldrons.. I mean, some toxic chemical combination in their evil laboratories.

Then they want to sell it - of course. They ARE a business. That's the only point that matters to psychiatry - that they can help those corporations and thus get to the gravy train. This is the psychiatrist mentality, and practicality. On the surface, they deny it, but in actual reality, they are big pharmaceutical shareholders! It's illegal, it's immoral, and I think it might even be unlawful.

So they sit down together and think. What new "mental disease" could we come up with? Hmm.. let's look at human behaviour and isolate something that we missed previously. Ah! How about "shyness"? But that doesn't sound like a good illness-name.

But we have this medication that we just invented, patented, packed and are ready to sell - how about if we change the name to "social phobia"? That way we can advertise this new drug and get psychiatrists to "diagnose" a lot of human beings, so our business will grow! Hurrah! Now, next month our labs will start concocting a new chemical compound.. what illness could we find for that one..

And so on. That's how it goes, until EVERY single human feature is suddenly an illness!

That's what psychiatry is, that's all it does. All the 'therapy' does nothing good, it only accuses the patients of being 'faulty' (if you are healed, it's bad business, so they must convince you that you are somehow faulty and broken, so that they can justify pumping more drugs into your body, for good profit, of course), causes guilt and especially if the patient has any resistance to what the 'psychiatrist' (or even just 'psychiatric nurse') brainwashingly blabs, there will be hell to pay.

And you think we need MORE of these greedy and ego-tripping, money-hungry lunatics, who usually start their whole career because THEY are wrong in the head and want to find out why - those "all-knowing" people who actually commit the most suicides of ANY profession! You want more of THEM?

Why do you think they commit most of the suicides? Could it be that they realize that some feature they have - or more than one - could be deemed some kind of mental illness (and about EVERY human behaviour nowadays can), and they full-well know what would happen to them if anyone found out about it .. ? Could it be that they realize that psychiatry is just quackery, and they never found any answers to their own mental problems from psychiatry - the answers they were looking for? Could it be that they realize the damage they have done to their 'patients' by claiming they are crazy when they are not, by pumping all kinds of different toxic chemicals into their bodies when none of that has actually done any good, when they have questioned their patients like someone who wants to kill them, and driven some of them to suicide? Could it be the huge amount of tardive dyskinesia patients that exist among the people labeled 'mentally ill'?

Psychiatry is no science, it offers no cures, and it is a huge business. We definitely do not need more psychiatrists - we need more actual healers. Those who HEAL, and not just "treat for profits"!

Remember, "Therapist" is really "The Rapist" of the soul and mind.

There is no 'court case' before locking someone up with a false 'mentally ill' charge. There is no chance for the labeled to defend him/herself. There is NOTHING you can do, if a psychiatrist
decides to label you and send you to an institution, to plead your case or get heard. You will not have any rights, you will not get a lawyer, you will not get to have a 'different opinion' (it will always be the 'same'), no justice, no defense, nothing.

More of this? NO THANKS!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Very true
. I don't know if this thread has this video I found last night and feel is something we all should watch.

Basically its saying in 1967 they came up with this DMS manual. Make up a checklist of symptoms, the psychiatric community will vote and name the illness they invent. Diagnose , label then bill the patient. It's so they can have a name for the disorder to prescribe the psychotropic meds. These pills can take a midly depressed person and make them worse. Suicidal thoughts. Homicidal thoughts. No it is not that this person was already predisposed to act this way. One case covered in this documentary is a man given Paxil for insomnia. Insomnia! He ends up killing family members and himself. Perfectly normal people with no previous mental issues.

The video isn't really saying its a NWO plot, but for billing . It's a $330 billion industry. It kills 48000 a year. The plan was to have all these meds manufactured by the year 2000.

There is no scientific way to test a person for a mental disorder. None. No blood tests, nothing, just go with symptoms, like insomnia, unable to cope with divorce,etc.

The checklists include are you scared to speak in front of a large crowd? You get the idea. Normal social disorders each and every one of us feel at times in their lives.

This video has many psychiatrists speaking out in it.

Source: military suicides

edit on 10-1-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well I am just gonna go hang myself since there is no where I can get help, and evidently my "problems" aren't really problems, it's just that I'm inherently #ed up and/or lazy and/or making it all up.

Goodbye, cruel hell.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by Wertdagf

I'm not fear mongering. I'm pointing out some serious flaws in the way mental illnesses are handled. I encourage everyone to make their mental health a priority, and if they have a serious problem they should seek the appropriate treatment.

My point is that many who get diagnosed are normal and fully capable of living without medication.

It should always be on a case by case basis, and I think medication should be reserved for cases where other paths are not effective. Right now, treatment is largely generalized.

Someone close to me went to a psychiatrist because of severe anxiety coupled with panic disorder. The doctor prescribed them no less than three pills: Klonopin, Xanax and Lexipro...on the first 20 minute visit! All this person had to do is see the in-house therapist once every other week to keep obtaining these medications. The important part of this episode is that these meds turned this person very unstable and angry when coming off any of the three meds. There were hallucinations, strange dreaming...where they could not tell if they were reality or a dream; unusally strong anger and unfounded accusations, which resulted in broken mirrors and holes in the walls. This resulted in trips to the emergency room for treatment of injuries. However, they soon REALIZED the culprit and before it evolved into something worse, they were fortunate enough to ween themselves from these substances that were haphazardly prescribed. Health insurance companies do NOT want to pay out for the continuous therapy that used to be the norm for people with these types of mental disabilities, as the cost to them is more than the cost of pills. It's always about the MONEY...it's ALWAYS about the MONEY!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
[]reply to post by violet

There is no scientific way to test a person for a mental disorder. None. No blood tests, nothing, just go with symptoms, like insomnia, unable to cope with divorce,etc.

The checklists include are you scared to speak in front of a large crowd? You get the idea. Normal social disorders each and every one of us feel at times in their lives.

We will fulfill the "ZOMBIE NATION" prediction if we continue to ignore the flaws in this manual and the high rate of flaws in the drugs prescribed
!::
o
edit on 18-1-2013 by elrem48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I NEED SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A HELPFULL KNOWLEDGEABLE ANSWER IF YOU CAN.

I have been on social security disability since 2003. I am in my mid 50's and was homeless for a number of years, due to my diagnosis, most likely, called schizoid personality disorder. I am strait and non androgenous, but had never, even once, been in a LTR. I disclose that, so you can know the extent of my SPD.
PLEASE I would appreciate non political comment, like, "No one is going to get ssi when the NWO collapses the economy" etcetera.
I only --recently-- learned that SPD will be eliminated from the DSM 5.

Will I be yanked off my only income and be thrown back out into the street back into homelessness?

Thanks.
edit on 21-1-2013 by Eedjee because: x

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eedjee

I don't think you'll have a problem. Since you're already on disability, you'll qualify for all the criteria except the part about having a defined medical diagnosis. Most likely, you're diagnosis will change from schizoid personality disorder to schizotypal. I understand that change as one to fewer categories for personality disorder, with a wider criteria for each.

Instead of the old ten personality types, DSM-V has simplified the system by cutting them down to just five: Antisocial/Psychopathic, Avoidant, Borderline, Obsessive-Compulsive, and Schizotypal types. Each type comes with a narrative paragraph description.

I've spent some time looking on google for more info, and I haven't found a clear answer to your question. I'd talk to a porfessional about this to be sure, but I am pretty certain that those currently collecting disability won't be dropped, and I doubt you'll even have to file again. I'd suspect that your payments will continue without a hitch.

Unless the NWO decides to put everyone in camps of course

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

I very much appreciate your reply, and your sensitivity to my situation. I had been unstable in my living situations all my life, and the whole time I was homeless, I kept trying to hold on to jobs, rather than admit there was something wrong with me. So I ain't about to suddenly become super competent and productive now! (SSA,....)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join