It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed for a new Christian

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Was Leviticus a person?

If so he doesnt seem like a very nice guy, he sounds like he needs a hug or something

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I have searched and asked many questioned in regards to the Christian faith in search of honing my own believes, and received a very good answer to this particular topic OT vs NT. I was told that in the time of the OT man lived under God's Law, then Jesus was given to the world as well as the NT, and we now live under God's Grace.

See before Jesus died on the cross for our sins we were not allowed to have a one on one relationship with God, we needed men of the cloth in order to do so. Jesus's sacrifice allowed us to have a one on one relationship through him, so instead of do as I say under the law, we now have do as you will (freewill) but do it for the glory of God's Grace.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
reply to post by Xaphan

First off, you might also want to keep ...Do not lie from ...the ten commandments.
But that aside, here are your answers

1. It is servant, and a paid position, the Hebrew word is not slave. The woman's position is a servant to the mother, again a paid position.
2. The daughter is rented out, money up front. You have right to give back a portion there of to redeem her time. If the son desires to marry her, She is then free of that purchase price and becomes a normal wife.

I'm not a religous guy and don't really care for the argument but what a great answer.
WTG
Game on
edit on Sat Dec 8 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
reply to post by Klassified

I admit my ignorance, but how do you balance the OP's post with the new testament ?
Sure you're not bound by the 603 other rules; that could also be considered convenient. But as I understand it Jesus was jewish, so he would have been bound by the afforementioned laws. Why aren't you guys ?
Could jesus eat a bacon sandwich before he was crucified? If not could he after the ressurection ? Just a trivial example but it confuses the **** out of me.

Also are you saying that Jesus whom by definition was bound by those laws was wrong to live by them ? Or did he break them ?

edit on 8-12-2012 by cody599 because: I hate my keyboard

edit on 8-12-2012 by cody599 because: The usual

Jesus fulfilled the law.

Faith is the glue that binds Old Testament to New Testament. In Old testament times, faith was exhibited by following the laws. In New Testament times faith is following Jesus' teachings.

What I want to know is why non-believers want to ridicule believers by using the Bible. It would seem that if a non-believer really wants to know the why of Christian beliefs they should study the Bible and commentary written over the centuries.
Nevertheless...we know what will happen to scoffers and mockers.

As for 1Corinthians 14 - The subject of that chapter concerns speaking in tongues. Perhaps the author was admonishing women against speaking in tongues in church. Or perhaps most women in that day couldn't read and therefore were told to ask questions from their husbands at home rather than interupting services at church.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Very succinct. Thankyou for your time to explain your point of veiw, that is a question I've asked many times and this is the first satisfactory reply I have heard (understood) . Again thankyou I'll stick to my form of spirituality until convinced otherwise, and wish you peace.

Glad you got an answer that helped. I'm not always the best at explaining it in a nushell. I get stuck on which angle to take sometimes, or how to simplify it. I've been out of Christianity for too long now, I'm rusty at expounding on doctrine.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

The same reason some people pass off the works of others as their own.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Just in case someone happens to come along who actually IS interested in finding God or knowing the truth...

Look up every MP3 and video by Ian Clayton you can find:

"Ian Clayton, a New Zealand prophet and father of four, is a man who found himself seemingly chosen by the demonic realm to become a great occult leader.

At age 12, his growing awareness of God led him to the Bible and he started reading it from the beginning. Halfway through Deuteronomy he decided that it was full of rules and regulations and didn’t want anything to do with it. Just as he shut the Bible he heard a voice say, “Put your hand on top of the table and pick the table up.” Ian put his hand flat on the table top and it rose, sideways off the floor.

“It was an amazing power rush,” Ian explained. “Suddenly, I walked in power.”
Spirits started materializing at night and taught Ian how to do things such as astral travel and psychic healing, pendulum diagnosis, use of herbs in healing and in gaining power, and the power of demons in the spirit world. As the lessons continued, people grew frightened of Ian’s power. Many would talk about the headaches they got after being around him—headaches Ian attributes to the demonic resonance of the spirit force around his life. Meanwhile, signs and wonders manifested in Ian’s life much to his surprise and others’ shock.

“I would put my hand out and it would go into the wall—not up against it,” he said. By age 17, Ian was frightened of his own power and turned into an introvert attempting to shelter himself from others because of the phenomena that would occur.

According to Ian, the spirits taught him to become a psychic healer and he would lay hands on a body and take out the bits that were diseased. He could heal and he could kill with the same power that resided within him. “The moment I touched their flesh they submitted to the demon in my life. When I got angry at somebody I would release spirits and the people either were killed or became sick. At one point, my father got sick and my mother ended up in hospital because of my cursing them.”

Excerpt from Shifting Shadows of Supernatural Power

Ian Clayton Interviews www.youtube.com...

How To Build A Galaxy www.youtube.com...

Transrelocation Spirit (Open Vision) www.youtube.com...

The freakin Gate of Ian www.youtube.com...

Also see this link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-12-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

What?? You post the most obscure links & content in these religious threads. Is there a single bit of evidence that shows the man does/did what he claims?? Spiritual revelations come in many different forms, through different phenomena, especially via psychological & mental perception. There have been countless self-proclaimed prophets that will tell you their story of direct contact with demons, Satan, God, etc. They affirm themselves by providing recycled & altered philosophical/religious concepts; and presto. Believers will follow...

This guy seems to be a modern day Joseph Smith. I'll listen to some more of his videos just out of curiosity though.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Read the New Testament if you want to troll us.

I don't want to troll you, but the new testament is just as cruel and violent as the old testament is. Some of the things Jesus says and does are just heinous.

Matthew

Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. 5:17

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

God is like a rich man who owns a vineyard and rents it to poor farmers. When he sends servants to collect the rent, the tenants beat or kill them. So he sent his son to collect the rent, and they kill him too. Then the owner comes and kills the farmers and rents the vineyard to others. 21:33-41

Jesus tells us what he has planned for those that he dislikes. They will be cast into an "everlasting fire." 25:41

Luke

Jesus heals a naked man who was possessed by many devils by sending the devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the sea. This messy, cruel, and expensive (for the owners of the pigs) treatment did not favorably impress the local residents, and Jesus was asked to leave. 8:27-37

Jesus says that entire cities will be violently destroyed and the inhabitants "thrust down to hell" for not "receiving" his disciples. 10:10-15

Jesus says that we should fear God since he has the power to kill us and then torture us forever in hell. 12:5

Jesus says that God is like a slave-owner who beats his slaves "with many stripes." 12:46-47

Jesus believed the story of Noah's ark. He thought it really happened and had no problem with the idea of God drowning everything and everybody. 17:26-27

John

"God so loved the world, that he gave his His only begotten Son."
As an example to parents everywhere and to save the world (from himself), God had his own son tortured and killed. 3:16

Jesus believes people are crippled by God as a punishment for sin. He tells a crippled man, after healing him, to "sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." 5:14

Acts

Peter claims that Deuteronomy 18:18-19 refers to Jesus, saying that those who refuse to follow him (all non-Christians) must be killed. 3:23

Peter and God scare Ananias and his wife to death for not forking over all of the money that they made when selling their land. 5:1-10

Romans

Homosexuals (those "without natural affection") and their supporters (those "that have pleasure in them") are "worthy of death." 1:31-32

1 Corinthians

Paul claims that God killed 23,000 in a plague for "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab 10:8

If you tempt Christ (How could you tempt Christ?), you'll will die from snake bites. 10:9

Ephesians

We are predestined by God to go to either heaven or hell. None of our thoughts, words, or actions can affect the final outcome. 1:4-5, 11

The bloody death of Jesus smelled good to God. 5:2

Colossians

God makes peace through blood. 1:19-20

1 Thessalonians

God is planning a messy, mass murder in "the wrath to come" and only Jesus can save you from it. 1:10

2 Thessalonians

Jesus will take "vengeance on them that know not God" by burning them forever "in flaming fire." 1:7-9

God will cause us to believe lies so that he can damn our souls to hell. 2:11-12
Hebrews

God will not forgive anyone unless something is killed for him in a bloody manner. 9:13-22

The Israelites kept the passover and sprinkled blood on doorposts so that God wouldn't kill their firstborn children (like he did the Egyptians in Exodus 12:29). 11:28

"Others were tortured ... that they might obtain a better resurrection." 11:35

God ordered animals to be "stoned, or thrust through with a dart" if they "so much as ... touch the mountain." 12:20

2 Peter

God will set the entire earth on fire so that he can burn non-believers to death. 3:7

When Jesus returns, he'll burn up the whole earth and everything on it. 3:10
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
It's so funny that this is even a serious question from the OP. I takes all of 1 min to google your question and find a multitude of great answers. The truth is the OP is bieng lazy and trying to stir strife when the answer is not only simple for a mind of an infant but also very easy to find VIA the internet.

Im sad for such lack of understanding in this day and age.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

I don't want to troll you, but the new testament is just as cruel and violent as the old testament is. Some of the things Jesus says and does are just heinous.

Matthew

Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets. He hasn't the slightest objection to the cruelties of the Old Testament. 5:17

Jesus says that he has come to destroy families by making family members hate each other. He has "come not to send peace, but a sword." 10:34-36

Jesus condemns entire cities to dreadful deaths and to the eternal torment of hell because they didn't care for his preaching. 11:20-24

Jesus is criticized by the Pharisees for not washing his hands before eating. He defends himself by attacking them for not killing disobedient children according to the commandment: "He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." (See Ex.21:15, Lev.20:9, Dt.21:18-21) So, does Jesus think that children who curse their parents should be killed? It sure sounds like it. 15:4-7

God is like a rich man who owns a vineyard and rents it to poor farmers. When he sends servants to collect the rent, the tenants beat or kill them. So he sent his son to collect the rent, and they kill him too. Then the owner comes and kills the farmers and rents the vineyard to others. 21:33-41

Jesus tells us what he has planned for those that he dislikes. They will be cast into an "everlasting fire." 25:41

Luke

Jesus heals a naked man who was possessed by many devils by sending the devils into a herd of pigs, causing them to run off a cliff and drown in the sea. This messy, cruel, and expensive (for the owners of the pigs) treatment did not favorably impress the local residents, and Jesus was asked to leave. 8:27-37

Jesus says that entire cities will be violently destroyed and the inhabitants "thrust down to hell" for not "receiving" his disciples. 10:10-15

Jesus says that we should fear God since he has the power to kill us and then torture us forever in hell. 12:5

Jesus says that God is like a slave-owner who beats his slaves "with many stripes." 12:46-47

Jesus believed the story of Noah's ark. He thought it really happened and had no problem with the idea of God drowning everything and everybody. 17:26-27

John

"God so loved the world, that he gave his His only begotten Son."
As an example to parents everywhere and to save the world (from himself), God had his own son tortured and killed. 3:16

Jesus believes people are crippled by God as a punishment for sin. He tells a crippled man, after healing him, to "sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." 5:14

Acts

Peter claims that Deuteronomy 18:18-19 refers to Jesus, saying that those who refuse to follow him (all non-Christians) must be killed. 3:23

Peter and God scare Ananias and his wife to death for not forking over all of the money that they made when selling their land. 5:1-10

Romans

Homosexuals (those "without natural affection") and their supporters (those "that have pleasure in them") are "worthy of death." 1:31-32

1 Corinthians

Paul claims that God killed 23,000 in a plague for "committing whoredom with the daughters of Moab 10:8

If you tempt Christ (How could you tempt Christ?), you'll will die from snake bites. 10:9

Ephesians

We are predestined by God to go to either heaven or hell. None of our thoughts, words, or actions can affect the final outcome. 1:4-5, 11

The bloody death of Jesus smelled good to God. 5:2

Colossians

God makes peace through blood. 1:19-20

1 Thessalonians

God is planning a messy, mass murder in "the wrath to come" and only Jesus can save you from it. 1:10

2 Thessalonians

Jesus will take "vengeance on them that know not God" by burning them forever "in flaming fire." 1:7-9

God will cause us to believe lies so that he can damn our souls to hell. 2:11-12
Hebrews

God will not forgive anyone unless something is killed for him in a bloody manner. 9:13-22

The Israelites kept the passover and sprinkled blood on doorposts so that God wouldn't kill their firstborn children (like he did the Egyptians in Exodus 12:29). 11:28

"Others were tortured ... that they might obtain a better resurrection." 11:35

God ordered animals to be "stoned, or thrust through with a dart" if they "so much as ... touch the mountain." 12:20

2 Peter

God will set the entire earth on fire so that he can burn non-believers to death. 3:7

When Jesus returns, he'll burn up the whole earth and everything on it. 3:10
www.abovetopsecret.com...

You have never read the bible 100%

No one that would quote the sermon on the mount could be so ignorant to the context of what and whom Yeshua was speaking to.

Many who were there swore Paul heard him speak.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Very good and very true, The old Testament is followed only by the Jewish people now, The new Testament is what you would need to read to attack Christians. They pretty much can be summed up by "Love thy neighbor"

Great Joke, gag , Prank though Thank you
bg

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kargun
You have never read the bible 100%

No one that would quote the sermon on the mount could be so ignorant to the context of what and whom Yeshua was speaking to.

Many who were there swore Paul heard him speak.

You have nothing on the quotes? No reply to any of them?

*crickets*

Figures.

(And that's how you know you asked a christian a hard question)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Fun made me giggle

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
All these sugar coated answers still don't explain the main point of this OP.

“A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God.

I haven't met one "serious" Christian who believes a woman wearing pants is a sin, let alone an abomination....

HOWEVER

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination"

Yet this one all of a sudden makes total sense. And let's not even talk about eating shellfish.

Now, the one book that got it right is proverbs, which shows what the true abominations are:

There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers. Proverbs 6:16-19

Interestingly enough, all these things are obvious throughout Church history.

He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the Lord. Proverbs 17:15

So dear religious people: Please stop justifying evil.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Nothing he did was heinous. He was a rabbi and a healer and he exposed the hyocrisies of the religious elite in his time here. He taught people how to live right by him and he gave us hope when we had no hope

If you have ever experienced hopelessness and despair, then you realize what a treasure and a miracle it was he gave us. I've been in that dark world where there is no hope and nothing but despair, i ived in that hell for 30 years.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

If you have ever experienced hopelessness and despair, then you realize what a treasure and a miracle it was he gave us. I've been in that dark world where there is no hope and nothing but despair, i ived in that hell for 30 years.

Oh, good, then you should understand how easy it is to make even the worst deal look good to someone who is going through hell. At that point, all they want is release. It doesn't matter how, because their misery contorts their thinking.

A woman would sign over her soul, home, and everything she owns to get her beloved child back. And then the child gets taken away because she can't take care of it.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by byGRACE

They pretty much can be summed up by "Love thy neighbor"

If you want peace on earth, that's how it happens. Ofcourse we all know this ain't gonna happen. We like killing eachother too much. History proves it and since mankind cannot do this on it's own, going to take some outside force.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

This is excellent material for future reference.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

LMAO. You think you're trolling christians when you're actually trolling jews.

Fail brah

I see. So, you don't believe in the whole bible. The OT testament is completely made up by man, and contains utterly absurd laws and ridiculous stories about god.

But the New Testament was inspired by god and is TOTALLY TRUE!
..................i don't read where he said that anywhere. i've thought about replying to explain why we are not under these laws today thanks to Jesus, but it won't matter what i say. the hatred, yes i said hatred, that some of you people have for christians has blinded you. it's sad to see such blatant disrespect thrown at each other.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join