It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Its OK to ride a Harley without a helmet but not a crotch rocket!"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chefc14

THIS is what life is really all about...!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hey guys! found all the bike enthusiasts on ATS finally. I have a Moto Guzzi Norge 1200GT. Absolutely love it. I also own an old shovelhead Harley I ride around just for looks. I totally agree with the OP on all points, but one... Most Harleys won't go anywhere near as fast as the average Jap/Euro bike. I have owned a splattering of all of them in the last 20 years. I just roasted a "hot" 1200 sportster last week. His bike had every trick, gadget, add on, and machine work you could imagine. He had more money in the engine than my bike cost MSRP new. My goose cooked him, and it wasn't even a close call, no contest. My Guzzi only has a K&N air filter, and I opened up the exhaust, other than that it is bone stock. Although I am about to get a power commander for it.

Harleys are for looking at, and attracting the opposite sex. They are rolling art, an American Icon. Jap bikes are for going fast, cheaply, and dependably. Euro bikes are for going, and going, and going, and going... I love them all, there is not 1 that is "better" than the other. They each are built for, and serve a different purpose.

I usually wear full gear, but I too occasionally enjoy taking a liesurely stroll "free willy" now, and again. I should have the right to do both. I also agree that while I'm taking a chance riding au naturale, no one else should pay for my bills if I get hurt. My decision, my consequences.

I'm tired of the "My bike is better than yours" BS. Mostly from Harley riders. I own one. It sits in the garage cuz I'm tired of working on it. Don't tell me the new ones are more dependable. I'm half owner in a Harley repair shop, and it makes good money. If we only worked on Guzzis exclusively, or BMWs, or Hondas exclusively we wouldn't even make enough money to pay the electric bill at the end of the month. We work on Harley exclusively, and business is GOOD. BTW my dad is the other half owner and he rides a BMW. Heresy you say? What if you worked on something all day long, and then went home to ride your own, only to discover it needed work also? Yeah, got real tired of that noise. The Beemer has 85K miles on it, never a wrench turned save scheduled maintenance. The Guzzi... 35K, ok it broke a lifter once at 8K miles, freak accident, factory overtightened. Guzzi sent the parts free, and appologized profusely, but the bike still rode home on 1 cylinder, and didn't strand me in the middle of New Mexico, since then no issues.

The last summer I rode my Harley, it swallowed the rear exhaust valve(for the 6th time), blew the rear head gasket(for the 3rd time), Electronic ignition module went out(for the 2nd time), before that when it still had points, and condenser I lost count how often the ignition took a crap. Now before anyone assumes it is bad mechanic work I'll clue you in that it also has over 300K miles on it, and it is over 30 years old. But those were 300K miles coaxed, and pleaded for. Even when it was a young pup it wasn't much better for dependability. My friend owns a Moto Guzzi 850 T3 with almost half a million miles, and he goes from Arkansas to California 3 or 4 times a year on it, and it has NEVER left him on the side of the road.

That clarified, I love my old Harley, it is like a wayward lover. It pains me to see how she struggles, but damn she's fun to ride! lol. Women don't look twice at the Norge. I ride up on the old shovel, and it's like a booty magnet, much to my wife's chagrin

BTW, I almost bought a Concorse when I found the Norge. The Kawasaki has more power, but the Guzzi handles much better. One of my local riding buddies has the new concorse 1400. I can't keep up on the straights, but once we hit mountain curves it's game on, he can't even keep my tail light in sight. It is a gorgeous bike though, obviously, I nearly bought one!!! Great pics chefc14, I need to take the Norge to Hooters, and post some pics now.

edit on 8-12-2012 by Binder because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

I think it's crazy that helmets aren;t required on motorcycles period. If it is required to wear a seatbelt in a car then it would make sense that a HELMET which is like your seat belt in a sense should be required as well.

I am in FL and helmets aren't required if you carry insurance but if you dont it required. I think it is stupid because a motorcycle accident is far more dangerous than a car esp if you have no helmet. A helmet could be the difference between life and death. I know a few people who wore helmets because they are smart imo and were in horrible accidents, had they not worn them they'd be dead.

Sure you like the wind in your hair, so did I in my convertible but i was still required by law to wear a seatbelt. The laws here for motorcycles make no sense. I don't know how the laws are elsewhere.

This girl sounds brainless imo. A motorcycle is a motorcycle lol
edit on 12/8/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by chefc14

Nice bikes!!

I always wanted to get my license but always get talked out of it. Where I live it's so not safe to be in a car let alone a motorcycle. Too many tourists who can't drive, too many elderly who shouldn't be driving and too many drunk drivers cause there is nothing here to do but go to the hundreds of bars. If I lived in a country area then I'd probably have my license because I think it would be a nice thing to do on a weekend, go for a ride.

I've been on many bikes with friends and boyfriends who rode but I never cared for the "crotch rocket." It was uncomfortable for the one on the back. Give me the oversized ones with the chick seat on the back!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by chefc14

Nice bikes!!

I always wanted to get my license but always get talked out of it. Where I live it's so not safe to be in a car let alone a motorcycle. Too many tourists who can't drive, too many elderly who shouldn't be driving and too many drunk drivers cause there is nothing here to do but go to the hundreds of bars. If I lived in a country area then I'd probably have my license because I think it would be a nice thing to do on a weekend, go for a ride.

I've been on many bikes with friends and boyfriends who rode but I never cared for the "crotch rocket." It was uncomfortable for the one on the back. Give me the oversized ones with the chick seat on the back!

I think youd find the backseat on my bike comfy. Ive sat on it and its fine. Its really a sport touring bike without bags.

I cant get a motorcycle license. Bad things happen everytime i try it

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

See! See! You prove my point, chicks dig Harleys. BTW do you know what the "chick seat" is commonly referred to as? lol. My wife hates my Norge because it is "windy" and "feels less safe." I can't argue about the wind, but my Guzzi is 100x safer than the old Harley, but you can't speak logic to perception. The Goose has traction control, and ABS brakes. The Harley doesn't have enough power to slip the tire, and it has brakes...sometimes.

As far as helmet laws. They make as much sense as seatbelt laws. Car drivers just don't raise a stink about their rights as much as bike riders. No one should require anything of you to live, have liberty, and pursue happiness. Seatbelt are smart, helmets are smart, but mandation is infringement on personal rights. Following the same logic a G-man should follow every man, and woman to the bars on Saturday night issuing citations for not using condoms when you make the midnight connection. Because not doing so is unsafe. We should be free to weight risks Vs. benefits in our own situations in life. Not have it mandated what we are going to do for the greater good. That slippery slope leads to well... exactly where we are going, a totalitarian nanny state.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Oh, you mean the bitch pad? Where your pregnant dog sits? Those arent really seats though......theres a difference between a seat and a padded fender.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I really dislike bugs and dust particles hitting my face, so a helmet doesn't bother me at all. I usually wear the jacket too, even when it's hot, just because the slapping of a shirt on skin really starts to hurt after a few minutes.

This is weird, and possibly dumb, but if I crash I WANT it to be fatal. I'm not looking for risks though, and my instincts would always be to avoid any crash situation and fight for control of the bike, but if it happens I kind of want it to be game over.
Not sure why exactly. Just couldn't deal with the heartbreak of a broken bike, no insurance, no money for a new one, no way to get around, hospital stay, broken body parts. I don't have anyone to leave behind so that makes it easier perhaps.

edit on 8-12-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

Yes, you got it. Neither my Harley, or my Goose have a true "bitch pad" in fact the Norge has a really nice seat. It is a bit reminiscent of a big scooter seat. I didn't like it at first because I thought it took away from the aggressive looks of the bike, but I put about 600 miles in a day when I go joy riding so I have decided the "fat ass" look is acceptable for the comfort it lends. It is a full sport/tourer with bags, and a Givi pack. The driver on the Norge gets surprisingly little wind, but I rode on the back once, and it really is a bit windy back there. The seat is comfy though.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Binder

See! See! You prove my point, chicks dig Harleys. BTW do you know what the "chick seat" is commonly referred to as? lol.

LOL yup I know what it's called but due to T&C I said chick seat

My wife hates my Norge because it is "windy" and "feels less safe." I can't argue about the wind, but my Guzzi is 100x safer than the old Harley, but you can't speak logic to perception. The Goose has traction control, and ABS brakes. The Harley doesn't have enough power to slip the tire, and it has brakes...sometimes.

I have been on more Harley's than "crotch rockets." In my experience the guys on the crotch rockets were showing off and it made me uncomfortable vs the ones on Harleys, they were long time bike riders and rode only Harleys. I know there is some rivalry there between the two groups lol but I'll stick with a responsible driver no matter the bike as long as it's comfy and has a nice chick seat and I"m on a nice country road with no tourists, elderly or drunks.

As far as helmet laws. They make as much sense as seatbelt laws. Car drivers just don't raise a stink about their rights as much as bike riders. No one should require anything of you to live, have liberty, and pursue happiness. Seatbelt are smart, helmets are smart, but mandation is infringement on personal rights. Following the same logic a G-man should follow every man, and woman to the bars on Saturday night issuing citations for not using condoms when you make the midnight connection. Because not doing so is unsafe. We should be free to weight risks Vs. benefits in our own situations in life. Not have it mandated what we are going to do for the greater good. That slippery slope leads to well... exactly where we are going, a totalitarian nanny state.

I could careless if someone wants to wear a helmet or seatbelt I just think it's silly it's required in a car to wear a seat belt cause it's "safer" yet on a bike a helmet is an option. I think the risks on a bike are more than a in a car without a seatbelt but most people I know who ride bikes are big risk takers anyways lol so they won't wear helmets. I do have some friends who do wear helmets and than goodness they did cause it saved their lives. Ihad one friend in a coma yrs ago and if he didnt have his helmet he would be dead now. He is a big helmet advocate but again like you said it's that persons choice to take that risk. Personally if you want to not wear a seat belt or helmet that is your choice, it doesn't really affect me cause if something happens you are the one to get hurt.. I just prefer a helmet if i'm on a bike.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by delusion

Hey look at the Mesh jackets. I have one made by River Road, and I love it. It is almost as protective as leather. It is made of Kevlar reinforced nylon mesh. It has a liner when you want it to be a little warm, or shed a little water, but without the liner air goes right throught it. It is actually cooler in hot weather than bare skin. No sunburn, and no wind burn as long as you at least have a little fairing. They are really light too, and moving around in them is easy. I only wear leather when it is really cold now. They have chaps made of the same material. Even Moto pants, that look just like jeans, but have kevlar reinforced pads built in. They are cheaper than leather too. Vanson leathers makes the best ones, but you're going to pay almost as much as leather for one, but dang they're nice!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Sounds like we agree. Also sounds like you make good decisions as to riding partners. The experience, and responsibilty of the rider is a larger factor than the bike. My dad's life was saved by a helmet. He ate 351' of pavement in Florida in the 80s. I wear mine 99% of the time. yes I do sin, and go topless occasionally. It is usually late at night, at very low speeds, and on old country roads with no traffic so me, and the misses can talk.

I must admit even though my Guzzi is not a "crotch rocket" because it only has about 115 HP, and weighs almost 700lbs, it is a sport/tourer, there is a difference.- For example the new BMW S1000RR has 196HP, and weight a little over 400lbs. That's a crotch rocket!- I ride my Guzzi solo mostly, and I do get a bit more liberal with the regulation of the throttle. I am 1 up, and its only my life in my hands. I have been riding since I was 4 years old though, and have walked away from every crash. I raced motocross as a kid, and there is a right way, and a wrong way to come off a bike. Most riders are not taught the right way in safety classes, and I think that is an injustice.

My dad raced professional AMA in the 70s. He got T-boned by a car at an intersection about 15 years ago. He jumped off the bike onto the hood of the car, rolled over it, and walked away. He was almost 50 years old at the time, but years of experience saved him. Just last year a rider lost his leg, and almost his life in the exact same scenario. He didn't know how, or when to come off the bike.
edit on 8-12-2012 by Binder because: punctuation

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Oh, you mean the bitch pad? Where your pregnant dog sits? Those arent really seats though......theres a difference between a seat and a padded fender.

HAHAHA yea that spot lol

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Now the real catch-22 question: "Was she a bitch before or after she had to ride on that ridiculous pad?" or "Does the "B" make the pad, or the pad make the "B"?

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by delusion
I really dislike bugs and dust particles hitting my face, so a helmet doesn't bother me at all. I usually wear the jacket too, even when it's hot, just because the slapping of a shirt on skin really starts to hurt after a few minutes.

This is weird, and possibly dumb, but if I crash I WANT it to be fatal. I'm not looking for risks though, and my instincts would always be to avoid any crash situation and fight for control of the bike, but if it happens I kind of want it to be game over.
Not sure why exactly. Just couldn't deal with the heartbreak of a broken bike, no insurance, no money for a new one, no way to get around, hospital stay, broken body parts. I don't have anyone to leave behind so that makes it easier perhaps.

edit on 8-12-2012 by delusion because: (no reason given)

Always fight for control of the bike. Had a rear inner tube blow out at 60+ mph on a dirtbike on the street once. It was only a 100cc 2 stroke but I was WIDE OPEN in top gear running all out, probably doing 55 to 65 mph..... and POP. All I could think of was road rash. and I was in a t-shirt and jeans and a helmet. Atleast I would have *lived*. Anyhow I pulled the clutch in and stopped with the front brake only.....no big deal in the end. I even rode the bike home (first gear, clutch out, idling, with my feet walking on the ground...for 2 miles). Had to put a rimlock on that bike after that.

But yeah, ALWAYS fight it. I always hear people say "I had to lay it down to keep from hitting XXXXX". What? You get more stopping power with tires than with plastic/metal.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Great to see other riders and dedicated passengers posting here.. after all these years at ATS I actually feel like part of something bigger for a change

Depending on the weather I ride with either my old 1977 SPIDI leather jacket.. way too hot in Summer City traffic still these days.. or my nowhere near as old Dri-Rider textile jacket with protective pads and winter liner.. or on the hottest days around town just a t-shirt, coz while gravel-rash hurts it don't kill you.

If I'm heading out of town on a longer ride then I wear one of the jackets coz higher speeds = nastier gravel-rash.

At least once a month I cruise out of town to ride the back country roads.. no helmet... and I never go over 40 to 50mph.. the wind noise gets too much after that. But, it does blow the cobwebs out of my head.. there is no other feeling like it... unless you are a dog hanging it's head out the car window.

My helmet is a plain open faced one because I can't stand being locked inside a full face. I don't care about bugs and rain or little rocks hitting the face.. to me that has always been a part of thr ride anyway. I think the guys wearing those stupid looking face masks are masturbators of the highest order.

As a young pup I loved SPEED.. the faster the better.. but at very high speeds anything happening ahead on the road leaves you with milliseconds to respond or die. I think I was lucky more times than not. My worst accident put me in hospital with a broken back.. was only 19 then and refused to accept that future.

Harley's do attract the Female of the species.. had one or two myself to learn that silly little fact of life. While I enjoyed this aspect of riding one, I hated having to apply brakes miles before I wanted to stop the things, hated having to readjust the points along the way.. numerous times. So while they were nice to look at, fairly comfy.. they really were mostly P.of S. and I would never buy another one now.

One small whine..... just bought a new rear whitewall tyre for the Vstar Classic 1100.. almost cost me as much as two weeks rent !! I never will understand why I can buy the same tyre in the USA for half the price I can buy it in Oz... but that's another rant.

edit on 8-12-2012 by Tayesin because: dyslexia

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This thread has me wanting to buy a faster bike. Ugh. Ugh. I hate wanting crap.

reply to post by Binder

I thought guzzis were fast. They sure look fast. My katana only has about 100hp. But everyone still calls it a crotch rocket...
edit on 8-12-2012 by phroziac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

But yeah, ALWAYS fight it. I always hear people say "I had to lay it down to keep from hitting XXXXX". What? You get more stopping power with tires than with plastic/metal.

I think it's to do with topside crashes (getting thrown over the top) versus lowside (a slide along the ground, less impact trauma). If you're lying down in a corner, breaking or sudden changes in speed can cause some pretty freaky forces to throw you over the bike.
But yeah, if you're just going in a straight line slow breaking and riding it out would be the best thing it would seem.
Thankfully, no experience with any emergency scenario yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I would do anything to not high side a bike. But.......most of the stories I hear are like "I laid it down to avoid hiting a car (In a straight line). And if the bike doesn't hit the car, it wouldn't have anyway..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Yeah, I would do anything to not high side a bike. But.......most of the stories I hear are like "I laid it down to avoid hiting a car (In a straight line). And if the bike doesn't hit the car, it wouldn't have anyway..

Weird. They must have good insurance, or some really good gear they know will slide well that they want to test out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join