It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Object Quickly Approaching Earth!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasmine23
A giant asteroid will make a flyby of Earth over the next few days, and armchair astronomers can watch the action live on their computers

LINK For the Armchair Astronomers

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Why does the video in the link look like its closest point to earth is on dec 21?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

oh my god it's all making sense now, that's too weird.

Well, something is bound to occur on that day that will be thought relatively significant in retrospect.

Why not a close comet flyby? That's good enough of a cosmic sign.

The question is, of what exactly?
Space is full of rocks that can hurt you?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Well it is basically 20 minutes away from 12-12-12 12:12 and i haven't found a single page or news story about the world ending, I guess that is a good thing but the human race tends to be wrong about a lot of things :3

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
www.prophecy.mx...

all sorts of things are flying about out there...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
We'll never know until it happens.
Unless they want us to know.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
good find! Is it listed here?
www.spaceweather.com...
Scary how they're always like, "hey, don't worry, we'd see it coming if there were anything to worry abou-OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING HEADED RIGHT AT US!?!-oh, it's okay it's just-OH MY GOD THERE'S ANOTHER ONE!!-nevermind, thought I saw something."

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

You're comment is exactly like what you are describing IN your comment lol

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
i dont know if its the same object, but the daily show just mentioned two asteroids just buzzed earth. no scientists knew about them until a couple days ago. one passed between earth and the moons orbit. the diagran showed it as 2012 XE 54.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Bunkers! If it's something as significant as what everyone fears and bunker isn't going to help. Better to pull out the old aged whiskey and sit back.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by anotheramethyst
i dont know if its the same object, but the daily show just mentioned two asteroids just buzzed earth. no scientists knew about them until a couple days ago. one passed between earth and the moons orbit. the diagran showed it as 2012 XE 54.

You seeme a little confused. Not sure if that's the daily show's fault or what, but I wouldn't exactly rely on a Comedy Central show for astronomy news. 2012 XE54 was a small asteroid discovered just a few days before its close approach to earth. Toutatis is a larger asteroid and as a result, it has been known about since 1989. The object in the OP's video is C/2012 V4, a small comet much closer to the STEREO satellite than it is to earth.
edit on 13-12-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Diggers

The other problem with having an open mind is that sometimes your brains can fall out........

(not aimed at anyone in particular.. if the shoe fits....)

I tried to read through this whole thread, but I'm too tired and mostly too stupid to make sense of a lot of the seemingly complicated theories and ideas about this "object".

Since we are now beyond the scary 12 12 12 12 12 non event, (which actually really is a non-event since it's 12 12 2012..... not like the really scary 11 11 1111.... but nothing happened there either...) perhaps we can get some sanity back in the world.

I get to spend a fair amount of time looking at the stars and love the idea that their are things out there that are whizzing past us at crazy speeds and might even get really close or even enter the atmosphere - which can be a seriously spectacular show... (saw a nice one a couple of nights ago)....

Is it worth getting my tits in a tangle........ nope!
Have I seen a few weird and unusual phenomenon over the past few weeks.... Yip!

Am I really bothered..... Nope!

They were all weird and unusual natural phenomenon......and maybe we might have to amend a few text books in the next few years.... The rate at which our understanding of the natural universe is growing, means we might have guessed a few things in the past and now we know different...

As for that other silly date next week.... well the Mayans can kiss my a..!

Having said that..... My Dad taught me to always be prepared, so I have my Hard hat lined with tin foil, I've double checked the the light on my bently belt and I have a clean pair of underpants in my bag..... just in case there are sharks with laser beams....cause that is really scary....

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Oi! It was never the Mayans that came out saying that the world would end. It's western culture that interpreted it in that way. Sells books etc., right ?

The world "ending" is kinda exciting on some strange level isn't it don't you think ?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Oi! It was never the Mayans that came out saying that the world would end. It's western culture that interpreted it in that way. Sells books etc., right ?

The world "ending" is kinda exciting on some strange level isn't it don't you think ?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marsoups

Well it was the Mayans fault for not putting the next calendar on the back of the last one...... like the calendar on my wall.... flip it over and Voilà..... 2013....

I just hope they will be able to fix our popcorn machine in time for the show....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It didn't hit us then?

What a surprise!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by squarehead666

Indeed....

But just you wait and see what happens next time it comes around...........

yip....

The same thing as every other time....

Now we can all sing the theme from Pinky and The Brain.....

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Reply to post by Evildead

the day the earth stood still comes to mind

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Can somebody tell me where is this comet now???
I was searching for it but could not find it?

C/2012 V4 thank you!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

Here's it's orbit diagram:

Link

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join