It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Object Quickly Approaching Earth!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I thought if it was split into smaller pieces then they stood more chance of breaking up in our atmosphere

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Y'all should know by now that if the world were going to end for any cosmic reason I'd tell you how and I'd tell you when. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

I can't even be classified as an amateur astronomer. Though I find it fascinating, I have no expertise, and I'm not very trusting, but if Neil says we're safe, I trust him.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I would say a piece would break off the comet. The front of the comet. After the turn around the sun. The side of the comet which would have been facing the sun for the entire turn.
edit on 9-12-2012 by TRUELIES11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ericthedoubter

I sent my son to Wisconsin yesterday to live with his aunt, not for the end of the world, but to get into a healthier situation. I have had a stronge urge to get off the east coast for the last several years. I sent my oldest son to live in California (going to school) 5 years ago and now, the youngest is off the east coast too. I've wanted to move to Colorado for awhile but that's not going to happen. I'll be here with my other son with CP and my wife. I feel like its ok now so that if something uncontrollable will happen to the planet, my two other sons will be safe. Now I see this article on ATS. Could be the way it's supposed to be...

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evildead
reply to post by Mercurio

Well, if ET's ARE monitoring us, I'm sure they'd be aware of all the hype of December 21st, 2012 and who knows...maybe they'd decide that's as good a day than any to officially say "We are here!"
Unfortunately I don't think they want us to know they're here. Prime directive BS.

From what I've been reading recently on the web on alien interviews, the technology possessed by the aliens is enough to keep the planet safe from a simple rock speeding towards it. It appears that these other alien life forms have too much at stake here to let anything like that happen. The more urgent worry is attack from more aggressive aliens seeking earth resources and natural earth borne scenarios like plate tectonics and volcanos (from the Roswell alien comments about earth not being an ideal place for long term hominid development, like a billion years, because the earth is just too volatile).

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PeterGriffin

your avatar is it a picture of that guy chunk's ear from the movie the goonies ?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
If it's DA142012, this the data for it,

2012 DA14 Feb 15 0.09 LD 57 m spaceweather.com.

spaceweather.com...

However that is a couple of months away.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

It isn't getting here. It's leaving.
reply to post by Phage

The comet traveling around the sun with the effect of heat and gravity means it will not be leaving as it arrives.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

It's comet C/2012 V4.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

Why does not one credible scientist back this movement?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Oh My God! We are all going to die before the world ends in a couple weeks!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
We've had a couple of objects pass between the Earth and moon in the last few years. This is nothing news, and the *sensational* nature of the presentation of this object potentially coming close to Earth is just simply that: sensational.

We've had more than a couple of objects passing between Earth and the Moon in the last few years - it depends what your definition of "object" is.

If you are talking objects the size of meteoroids and above, it would probably be on the order of 100's or 1000's of billions of objects.

If you're talking about a few meter sized objects and above, it'll probably be 10's or 100's of thousands of objects every year.

But I do agree with you that there is way too much hype surrounding this subject.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The only threat I am aware of is apophos and it is not due here for at least another 20 years. Hopefully something can be done about it but with our wreckless governments I am thinking they would actually encourage a direct hit to happen so they get their 80%-90% depopulation they seem hell- bent on getting.

All this constant doom&gloom does is desensitise people to potentional real threats in the future, when everyone wil be sick and tired of hearing these bs conspiracy theories floating around like turds in an unflushed toilet, and then most will be too emotionally tired to do anything about it. Just stop already!

Yes there are real conspiracies such as aliens controlling the illuminati and the illuminati controlling governments. I am also pretty damm sure there are alien-human underground bases here as well. With so much evil it would not make sense to consider anything less.

Maybe the draconians are coming!

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Evildead

Yeah, OK, like, there are lots of LARGE OBJECTS heading toward EARTH. I am the eternal optimist here,
hoping that we will finally get to meet some of Yahweh's creations in the Universe.

The OP makes this sound like its DOOMSDAY, which its not. Get Real Folks. Thank you for time and your S&F.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stinka
I thought if it was split into smaller pieces then they stood more chance of breaking up in our atmosphere

It would depend how large the object is to begin with, and how large the pieces are that it breaks up into, but yes, in general a bunch of smaller objects hitting the atmosphere would be less of a threat than one huge object since there is more of a chance that they will "burn up" or break down further before reaching the ground.
edit on 9-12-2012 by FireballStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What will the comet leave is the question.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Necrose

Originally posted by stinka
Say it was massive and big enough to cause massive damage, could they fire off multiple nukes and have a chance of hitting it to break it up ?

well, breaking it up would only make it worse.... imagine all those little pieces falling all around the globe...

Actually, that's totally false. Breaking a large falling object into many smaller pieces vastly increases the surface area that is exposed while going through the atmospshere which can reduce the total tonnage that makes impact to large degree. Also, the impacts themselves have less global ramifications. Think 10 million firecrackers going off instead of one MOAB for instance. The impacts kick up less debris total, and not nearly as high resulting in far less environmental disruption. Stop quoting bad science from Independence Day, it was just a movie
edit on 9-12-2012 by Snoil because: grammar

edit on 9-12-2012 by Snoil because: typo

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Another chicken little thread where doom and gloomers point to frauds like zeta talk and proclaim trouble ahead.

Hard to believe that anyone would give the zeta talk site a read.

There are no new large masses int he solar system. The planets would change position and that would be noticed by amateur astronomers as well as professionals. That would happen in addition to being easily visible in
the sky.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by smurfy

It's comet C/2012 V4.

Thanks for that, hasn't that been known about already? I thought I read somwhere that they weren't sure if it was a comet, or rather an ice ball entirely.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
How many more of these threads full of poor guess work are we going to see in the next two weeks.

One to many, I'm afraid.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join