It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Memorial To A Great Man

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Yesterday started as any normal day for me. Woke up to help with the kids getting ready for school, making breakfast and feeding my 3 dogs. Around 10 am, I headed to take a shower, as things didn't feel quite right - I was starting to feel sick to my stomach. I got out out of the shower and walked into the bedroom to get dressed and heard my cell phone beeping. I looked and I had 9 missed calls in roughly a 30 minute period. All were from my youngest brother (I am the oldest) who never calls unless it's bad - ever.

After 3 minutes on the phone with him as I rushed to call him back, he started crying as to inform me that our father had passed in his sleep and was found at just after 8 o'clock in the morning. I never felt such a strong and terrible feeling of sadness, anger and shock all at once. In the span of what seemed like seconds, I was crying and cussing out loud as to what I was hearing.

Our father was a man who became my hero as a child. He was simply larger than life to all of us. I was an abused child - as were my 4 brothers. He was the angel that rescued us so long ago from an environment that was one that gave us no chance of survival in this world. He raised us to be strong and courteous children - with respect for others; as well as teaching us to be charitable to those who had the genuine need for it; expecting nothing in return. It was the greatest thing one could do for another in his eyes. He helped many needy people over the course of his long life.

So many memories have gone through my mind over the course of the last 24 hours - some good, others not so good. All I would not trade for the world in any regard. My father was a military man earlier in his life; serving as an infantryman and mechanic. He told me many stories about the things he witnessed during the war as a teenager and later into my twenties. It is because of him that have the deep respect that i do for the men and women in our armed forces. He earned the medal of honor in WW II, even though it hurt him to look at it. Too many bad memories he would tell us kids - he was wounded twice outside of Stuttgart Germany in 1943, in saving two fellow infantrymen. This medal he earned for duty to country; as he kept it in a compartment of his bedroom closet, something he told very few about.

He had already had 3 children before adopting us. he was in his 50's when he made the selfless decision to give us kids a future, forsaking his and his wife's own plans of retirement to do so. He was the one to taught me to quell my anger as a child. My anger against the world that I had due to my less than fortunate early upbringing. He taught us all to hope and what great things come from doing such things. There was simply not a single day where I was not proud to call myself his son. My heart and soul are bleeding as I type this - it hit me like a freight train to hear that he has passed from this world. He moved to Kansas in 2002, leaving Pennsylvania for good - save a few times that he would visit a year, to retire and live his life in relative comfort and peace.

He passed many great lessons to me throughout my life, as I have patterned my life after him in every aspect. I got on here today as a means of distracting myself from what I am dealing with in his passing. I have come to the conclusion that I need a break from ATS for a short while as I deal with this tragic event in my life; the gloom and doom in some areas here is just too much for me to handle on top of what has happened. For all who have lost such a great person such as him in your lives, I can truly understand and relate to your pain now - I don't think this pain will be gone for quite some time, if ever.

I want a few of his wise words that he imparted to me to be known here. Never, ever give up hope. Hope is what this world so desperately needs right now. And do not worry about what cannot be changed; only what can be changed.

To my one and only true father in this world, I will love and miss you forever.

My father - March 25, 1925 - December 7, 2012. Rest in peace.

Always hold on to those you love, like there is no tomorrow.

***Something kept bugging me as i signed off. I was so upset I typed the wrong birthday in. Thanks for those who have left kind comments thus far. I needed a quiet place to type my thoughts and vent.

edit on 8-12-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

I am so sorry for your loss......my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

He sounds like a very honorable and good man.

He may be gone in life but he will live on forever in your heart and your memories.

Please take care.....the pain will go away in time.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Much respect~~
snarky

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
My sincere condolences for your loss.
He lived a long and full life it seems.

What a heartfelt story, made my throat chakra choke me up a little.

I lost my father too at a fairly young age, there's not much in this world tougher than losing a parent you respected & loved.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I want to express my sincere condolences. I too was adopted and grew to believe my father was the greatest ever to walk the planet. If you don't mind, I would like to offer a couple of thoughts in this dark time for you.

First, I have always been viewed by others as particularly empathetic to other’s needs and emotions. When I was still in high school a very close friend came to my house in deep despair. His father had just passed unexpectedly. My friend was a very large, very muscular, and well respected football player but that day he unapologetically cried for a very long time there in my parent’s house. I put an arm around his broad shoulders and assured him not only was I there for him (which I was) but relying on my gift of empathy I understood how he felt.

Twenty years later my father passed away following a disturbing battle with cancer. It was only then that I realized that I really had no idea what my friend had experienced all those years ago. I sincerely thought I had, but what I learned was that such a tragic loss is intensely personal and we all must experience it in our own way. A lot of us can offer support based on having had the same experience, but the greater portion of it all is for you alone to experience in your own personal way and I suggest you recognize the private nature for what it is. I learned to actually cherish the grief and loss, with appropriate contemplation, because it seemed to keep him closer in my heart and mind. I never let go. Certainly the ability to move on became easier, and I also determined to be as courageous as he was if it were to ever happen to me because now I know a little about how my own children will react.

I do wish you the best.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
My heart go out to you in your time of grief..Sending you my heartfelt sympathy and prayers to give you strength during this tough time..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Your father sounds like he was absolutely amazing and wise. Someone who was truly worth emulating and aspiring to be like. The love you have for him shines throughout your words.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thank you so much for sharing some of your memories with us and allowing us a glimpse of such a wonderful father.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Rubi. My heart goes out to you in this time of deep mourning.
leolady

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
My sincere condolences on the loss of your father. It sounds to me like he was a noble man and the fact that you have chosen to pattern yourself after him is a testament to that. By all means, take a break from ATS. Spend time with your family. Take time to reflect and give yourself time to heal.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
My condolences to you and your family. And stay strong for each other.

I know I would be totally lost if anything ever happened to my dad. I know someday it's coming around the corner. I just wouldn't know how to cope without him. I think I would totally lose it. It's something I really don't want to prepare for.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
There never seems to be the right words to say, nor the right words to hear at times like this.
All I can say having been in this situation myself, is that I wouldn't wish the pain or grief on anyone...but as time goes by, yes it does get better.
You have some very fond memories, and as long as you keep those in your mind and your heart than he is still with you.
My deepest sympathy,
AD

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm very sorry Rub.

Your words, here, honor your father very well and appropriately.

You know where to find me if you need to talk my friend.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

My deepest condolences to you and your siblings and families. Please know that this great man will forever live on through you and your family.

You will see each other again someday. I really believe that. Love between people (in your case father/son) is too beautiful to just END.

Hugs~

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My condolences to you and yours , I'm so sorry to hear of your loss & as others have said it sounds like you have many precious memories of the good times with him to hold on to.
John

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Love to you in this horrible time. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Your father sounds like an amazing person, honest, caring and selfless. You and your siblings are his legacy, through you, his spirit will live on.

My deepest respects to you, him and your family.

**hugs**

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Sorry to hear this news Rub...

My condolences.

SS

top topics

join