It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds confirm: Military drones are watching you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
They said that they were going to do it and now, it seems as though it has been confirmed.

Records newly released to the Electronic Frontier Foundation reveal the federal government has approved dozens of licenses for unmanned aerial surveillance drones all across the United States.

“These records, received as a result of EFF’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA),” the EFF reports, “come from state and local law enforcement agencies, universities and – for the first time – three branches of the U.S. military: the Air Force, Marine Corps and DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency).”

Some of the records show drones used for purposes as sensible as helping the U.S. Forest Service fight forest fires.

Others purposes, such as performing aerial observation of houses when serving warrants or covert surveillance of drug sales, however, have prompted the EFF to question privacy issues.

Yet some applicants sought FAA approval for multiple drone uses, a potential problem EFF worries could lead to “mission creep.”

For example, Montgomery County, Texas, sought approval to use the thermal imaging abilities of a ShadowHawk drone to support SWAT and narcotics operations by providing “real time area surveillance of the target during high risk operations.”

The University of Colorado (which the FAA said has received over 200 drone licenses) requested a license in 2008, not just to study meteorological conditions but also to aid ‘in the study of ad hoc wireless networks with [the drone] acting as communication relays,’” EFF reports. “And Otter Tail County, Minnesota, wanted to use its drone, not only for ‘engineering and mapping’ but also ‘as requested for law enforcement needs such as search warrant and search and rescue.’”

Here is a map of drone locations in the records they’ve received so far:

“The WASP II will be used for surveillance missions,” the FAA records state, “for example, search[ing] farm fields for marijuana (the operator would be stationed on the farm and would use the WASP to see the crop growth from the air), conducting search and rescue in remote areas (QA’s County has a state park. Searching the river and coves can be difficult because of the high grasses. An aerial view would be of significant help), surveillance of people of interest (watching open drug market transactions before initiating an arrest), providing aerial observation of houses when serving warrants.”

SOURCE HERE

Well, looks like the drones are here to stay.
What will be next?

Is this the United States of America or the United States of [insert word of choice here] ?

edit on 7-12-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wait until the wall goes up around the entire Country and no one is allowed in or out without permission.

Maybe then the people will finally realize what's happening.

oops...too late.

Peace

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I can't believe I was so oblivious until now...

Those damn drones.. I've seen them in the skies here in Alabama. Sometimes I walk at dusk and as i walk I like to look at the sky. I seen these little "airplanes" in the sky, and I'd say...... That's not a real airplane... and you have to look twice because they are high in the sky.

In fact, I've seen them in GA too. but that was years ago. Who knows what kind of underhanded stuff they were doing back then though.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Wait until the wall goes up around the entire Country and no one is allowed in or out without permission.

Maybe then the people will finally realize what's happening.

oops...too late.

Peace

Exactly....

They've used 9/11 to pass many BS executive orders such as the Patriot Act, the NDAA and many others that may not seem like much but when you add them all together, it's a whole lot of bad SHTF type of crap that will come back to bite us in the azz.

They are implementing these things slowly, one by one, and then one day it'll be BAM.....right in the kisser.
Life in America as we know it will be no more.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It was always heading down this path and little by little it will become worse and worse. Someday we will all have little cameras monitoring our every move with no need of someone watching the camera. It will hear and see all that you do.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Orwellian incoming! Worship Big Brother and don't forget to take your soylent green wafer!

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Hmm I think this whole drone business is getting blow out of proportion. There are 311 million people in the US, even if one drone has lets say 3 separate cameras on them, to keep an eye on everything surely they would need over 100 million drones. Drones cannot watch everyone at the same time. I just get wound up when I hear people saying 'oooh noooooes! They are spying on us!'

It's simple if you've got nothing to hide then why worry. Secondly is it not just the law enforcement replacing their police helicopters with drones. I swear sometimes people on here make themselves more paranoid than they should

That's my view anyway. I'm in the UK one of the countries with the most CCTV cameras in its towns and cities. Hell my job is to monitor CCTV. I know that if I'm watching someone I can't keep an eye on anyone else.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I heard on the radio today that our wonderful America is now the most highly surveiled (of it's own people), nation in the history of the known world.. More than Nazi and the Stazi in Germany, or anywhere else combined...

Freedom? Freedom to be spied on by those who enrich themselves on the power they have abused.

I don't think America is going to last much longer..Not with the current level of corruption and perversion..

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Food for thought...

The drone makers have sought congressional help to speed their entry into a domestic market valued in the billions. The 60-member House of Representatives’ “drone caucus” _ officially, the House Unmanned Systems Caucus - has helped push that agenda. And over the last four years, caucus members have drawn nearly $8 million in drone-related campaign contributions, an investigation by Hearst Newspapers and the Center for Responsive Politics shows.

The Federal Aviation Administration has been flooded with applications from police departments, universities and private corporations, all seeking to use drones that range from devices the size of a hummingbird to full-sized aircraft like those used by the U.S. military to target al Qaeda operatives in Pakistan and elsewhere.

www.opensecrets.org...

Looks like these bad boys are here to stay.

Now we've got Big Brother and his cousins watching us....

Smile and say cheese....

Here's looking at you kid !!

New times are upon us, I'm afraid.
edit on 8-12-2012 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I am curious about the dot over southern Nevada. I am in a unique position and hear briefs about operations outside of normal operations of air traffic; i.e, photo missions, special requests, drone usage. I haven't seen any come by that has stated the usage of drones.

Post Script:
I might as well stave off the obvious. It peeks my interests since I hear morning briefs about operations for an airport. It makes me think that next time I am at one, I will grab someone and ask how they deal with it in a innocuous fashion and maybe help shed light on Southern Nevada's activity with them.
edit on 8-12-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
I heard on the radio today that our wonderful America is now the most highly surveiled (of it's own people), nation in the history of the known world.. More than Nazi and the Stazi in Germany, or anywhere else combined...

Freedom? Freedom to be spied on by those who enrich themselves on the power they have abused.

I don't think America is going to last much longer..Not with the current level of corruption and perversion..

I can remember in the 80's the rumor about camera's being placed in cities.
Every one said, oh no, won't happen, it's a violation of our privacy. Blah, blah, blah....

Well............guess they didn't see that one coming!!!

-- Now enter the drones ---

I love how they come up with all these fantastical excuses as to why they need them.
Maybe about 5% will be used with all good intent.
However, the other 95%.......up to no good.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Congress Paves Way for Unmanned Drones in U.S. Commercial Airspace

-- HR658 --

Feb. 14, 2012

A new bill passed by Congress will give commercial, private and military unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) greatly increased access to U.S. airspace that’s currently reserved only for manned planes.

They've colored the wording implying it's the new approach to modern technology - called NextGen Technology --

Not all of HR658 pertains to drones but the implications are there.
And they now have the go a head to use drones any where in the US.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This is excellent news OP.

I wouldn't want them to miss a second of this.

I also hope they can read my thoughts and know everything I've ever smelled even.

Maybe they'll learn something about being a decent human.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
God you lot are so paranoid
2nd

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's funny at what stages down the road to tyranny certain people get on board with the program.

This railroad has been rolling along the same track for the better part of a century now and still every once in a while a new traveler hops a car and looks around to exclaim "oh #".

Well, welcome aboard traveler.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Well then,
its a good thing they cant see the Abrams tank I've got in the barn..
Just in case they get a bit too nosey

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It is wasnt for the federal illegality of marijuana the majority of the public would be on board.

I suppose when they need that support they will do what they need to to get it.... maybe this was the plan all along.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Well damn, there goes tanning topless in the backyard.

It was only a matter of time before they started doing it. They will tellpeople it's to find the "Terrorists" and that is all they are looking for right now. Then it will be for "law enforcement" and soon you will need blinds and blackout curtains to get busy in peace.
edit on 8-12-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

they can't be trusted, they being the fed\local morons. you may as well ask a 5 year old to not touch the toys in a toy store before asking the fed\local law enforcement, not to abuse more power.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

If I see a drone watching my house I'm going to run out in the yard and moon it. Whoever is monitoring the camera feeds for that drone are in for a surprise! They may just resign from post traumatic stress!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join