It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did Gautama Buddha reach Enlightenment (Nirvana)?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I am not talking about you

The way how you formulated read differently, so a missunderstanding I guess

Don't take it personally,you asked,i answered whether we agree or not.

No worries. That's what we're here for.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You are already enlightened, at any moment you can become empty, the emptiness of eternity, not a random explosion that will become fast the past, in a single moment you can attain to a bliss beyond words, it is why we are all here it is our birth rite. Many lives or in the next second. Now.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Forgot to add that Siddartha did everything humanly possible to attain, for millions of lives he continued to leave no stone unturned until in his final lifetime there was nothing more to do, no moon no water in the moon (reflection). It is possibly one of the most beautiful stories about the morning he attained to the ultimate. Sitting doing nothing eyes closed, as the sun rose he opened his eyes and was reborn.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

You seem to be ignoring my answers?

(And admins, if you think my post was ill mannered?)
edit on 7-12-2012 by Wolvo because: p.g twat changed his last post so, disreguard

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

Ask me a question sir.
I have no problem answering them but be nice and stick to the topic and not me the person replying.

edit on 7-12-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TauNorthwolf

According to the scriptures Gotama Buddha reached enlightenment after 49 days below the pipal tree. Before him there had been endless Buddhas and after him will be endless Buddhas. Everybody can develop the Buddha nature and become a Buddha after a certain time. What do you think about enlightenmend? Is it attainable? Or will it be like in the scriptures where it has been said that there will be as many lifes as leaves on a tree till freedom found? Siddhis are mystical powers but Buddha said they shouldn't be seeked for, still people try to attain them. Ego trip? Mara was apparently no real Demon like many people want to believe, but the final stance of the ego in the own mind. What are your thoughts?

Enlightenment

through raising his bio-electric lifeforce up his spine to activate his pineal therefore his entire endocrine gland system and their accompannying nerve ganglia (chakras) to initiate a physio-spiritual metamorphosis.
this was accomplished via cultivating his sexual energy and pulling it up his spine.
through sacred matrimonial communion and a variety of yogic proactices.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The thing is that every single being in this Universe is a Buddha, because being such is a state of life, thus everyone has access to it. However, when you truly realize this is that you become one. Shakyamuni left many teachings, however the answer to how to become enlightened is on the Lotus Sutra, read ch. 2 Expedient Means and 16. The lifetime of the thus come one. I am not going to explain them, however the Universe has many laws and one of the is the Mystic Law of Cause and Effect that is part of all phenomena. This law is imperceptible to our senses, however we can see that it's there through our actions and thoughts. The accumulation of these causes is what generates Karma throughout many lifetimes. For example when we're dumped by our boyfriend throughout our lifetime and with different people; in a nutshell, when it becomes a pattern that is Karma. We cannot eliminate Karma, in a way that we don't have anymore. However, we can transform Karma, the Buddhist principle of transforming poison into medicine. By transforming our Karma from negative to positive we become better human beings, and that is being a Buddha.

I practice Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism which teaches us that by chanting Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyou we can attain Buddhahood in this lifetime.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Yes I do realise that HH the Dali Lama is a political and public figure. But at the same time, he is the 14th incarnation of the Bodhisattva of Compassion, rejecting enlightenment to teach and return to the wheel of life time and time again.

There is a big difference between Catholism and Buddhism so while it may seem the same thing, there is a vast difference, so how does a Mother Theresa equate to being enlightened?

And even Ghandi, hit a point in his life, where he no longer needed to read or just go on blind faith, as he understood what was being taught to him through the different writings, trying to relate and teach to those who would have heard the message.

There is an old saying: When the student is ready and the place is set, the teacher will sit.

I do not preach, nor do I pretend that I know something, rather I try to follow the saying that is do not believe. Don't believe me cause I have studied buddhism for 10 years. And don't believe me cause I have studied different philosophies, under different teachers for the better part of 20 plus years. Each person has to determine their own path, what I find to be a universal truth, may not be so for you, what may being me to enlightenment, will not bring you to the same state of being. You have to discover it for yourself.

While books are nice, the experience is so much more than that.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolvo

But if you follow the teachings and look at the achievement of enlightment, then none of it will matter. Nor can you go out and teach or pass on information as it would interfere in the karma of another, nor could you do miracles as the temptation to be corrupted and ultimately fall from that state would happen.

Enlightenment is as much about action and thought. And once you do achieve it, then you have to maintain it. While some say that yes Buddha did attain enlightenment, however, he had to walk a fine line, cause if he used such, he would have been such for a short time, and did not live that long after achieving enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Public show of power is frowned upon, its not banned (only rule is no damage, to any living thing)

You all keep saying 'he', buddha wasnt a he, buddha means, 'enlightened one' anyone can be a buddha. buddha isnt a god like allah, he is me and you
edit on 7-12-2012 by Wolvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Methinks the Nirvana of Buddha had at least a little bit of something to do with all the Tantric sex he was having.
Buddha could rock some booty.

Sexual Yoga (SFW no pictures)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
To attain enlightenment, shut up and watch. The absolute cannot be defined and cannot be created. Seek to end subjectivity. But do not seek, just be silent and do not judge.

Do you know what you are? I have no idea what I am.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Drums seems very close to enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I would really love to achieve enlightenment.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TauNorthwolf

What do I think about Nirvana?

I think you can get into whatever mindset you want to. If you work towards it, you can be a great humanitarian who is content with his own being and the world around him, you can be incredibly wise and simultaneously humble, be both a great philosopher and scientist and do all that you can to extend your knowledge to the people around you. You can experiment with all that life has to offer until you find the path that brings you to your personal enlightenment, and you can refuse to give any credence to long-held human beliefs that are inheritantly corrupt, delusional, and wrong even if it will create a personal backlash against you because you realize the overall state of being is just as important as your personal state of being... but enough about Carl Sagan.

Nirvana? As a path to some sort of "spiritual fulfillment" that offers some form of "afterlife" only if you adhere to it's principles? As delusional and as incorrect as any other religion.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

So what is correct then?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

So what is correct then?

I don't profess to know what the afterlife entails, I only profess to know that anyone who claims they know is wrong. One day mankind might discover the answer to that question, but today we haven't.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

So what is correct then?

I don't profess to know what the afterlife entails, I only profess to know that anyone who claims they know is wrong. One day mankind might discover the answer to that question, but today we haven't.

Agreed. Do you profess to know what you are?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
"Enlightenment" is a MASSIVE lie.

Don't believe it.

Rajneesh admitted, while under the influence of nitrous oxide, that there is no such thing as enlightenment. I cannot confirm this event through other contacts, but I assume Rajneesh was simply stating what U.G. Krishnamurti has said all along; that the storybook fiction we accept of a perfect enlightenment, full of infallible wisdom, is a big lie. A powerful and expansive state of cosmic consciousness does exist in humans who achieve it, but the way this condition is described by the religious establishment is an egocentric fiction, contrived by spiritual leaders to control the masses for their own personal gain.
Osho, Bhagwan Rajneesh, and the Lost Truth

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

So what is correct then?

Agreed. Do you profess to know what you are?

An agnostic. Because there is no empirical or even semi-conclusive evidence that any religion is correct, god has never spoken to me directly, and the fact that science fails to answer metaphysical questions today does not mean it won't be able to one day. (Quantum Mechanics, maybe?)

A nihilist-atheist point of view is that death equates to a sort of "black nothingness" but I would argue that if pure emptiness was logical then the universe wouldn't contain all the matter/energy/wonder that it does today. If nothingness was logical, there would be nothingness right now. Therefore I cannot subscribe to "atheism" in the truest sense, though I do often find myself agreeing with many of their philosophies.

Personally I LIKE to believe that the multiverse is a series of R.A.Salvatore-like planes of existence with all sorts of magic gods and goddesses and such. Or I LIKE to believe that we're all part of a giant computer and the physical matter is RAM, which explains why it can never be created or destroyed.

Neither of those ideas are likely to be true, but they ARE just as likely to be true as any other religion that I can think of.

When I see a man standing on the corner selling the "truth"... I simply set up on the corner next to him and sell doubt. That is my creed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join