It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I used to work on a Behaviour Intervention Team in the Intellectuall Disability Services industry. Our job was to work with psychiatrists to try to reintegrate intellectually diabled youths with histories of violent behaviour back into society. I have a few scars to prove it too.

Through the course of my work I met many folks within the emergency services; including many police officers and paramedics. One thing that I realized through this experience is that these folks are humans, just like you and I, and they are subject to all of the frailties and faults that you and I are. I met cops who were complete and utter azz wholes, and I met cops who were some of the nicest, noblest people I've ever met. I met 200lbs cops who would draw their guns on an angry, skinny kid armed with a curtain rod, and I also met cops who would organize barbeques and other events on their free weekends, just to bring a little joy to the lives of these kids who had never had any of their families say so much as a kind word to them. I met paramedics who would laugh about the latest person they scraped off the road, and I also met one who tragically committed suicide because she couldn't deal with the human suffering that she had witnessed.

Before you are so quick to judge, have a think about what it would be like to do their job. Would you want to do it? Sure there are cops who get off on the power, sure there are cops who perpetrate crimes like the beating of Rodney King and unfortunately get away with it, but there are just as many good police officers who are serving society in a way they feel they can contribute. Hundreds of firefighters AND POLICE OFFICERS died while trying to rescue people in the collapse of the WTC. Don't let the bad actions of the few colour your perception of the many. Notice how you never hear of the GOOD works that police do, only the bad? Because good works don't sell newspapers...period. The cop who is rude when you walk into the police station to complain about the key-scratch on your car maybe just saw a rapist set free on a technicality, or got punched by a woman because he handcuffed the husband who was beating her. That probably doesn't do a lot for your mood.

despite everything i have read in this forum i still see most police as nesasary scum. the reason i say this is because...whenever i have walked into a police station to make a simple enquiry i alway's seem to get the same response "YEAH WHAT DO YOU WANT"

If that's the case, then I am maybe unnecessary scum, because first thing in the morning on a work day, you don't want to so much as look at me for the mood I'm in, and I don't really do much to contribute to society.

i'm a butcher and probably have to deal with just as many @ssholes as a police officer has to deal with.

Somehow I seriously doubt that, unless they've released a new form of crack that induces massive cravings for sirloin steak.

Next time you see a cop, put yourself in his/her shoes for a bit and you'll probably get along with them a little better.

wecomeinpeace

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmilici

Yes undercovers do do home visits. They are called detectives.

This is what you get when you "learn" from tv...undercovers and detectives are two totally different things...undercover is a postition...assignment...while detective is a rank...they are not the same...thats why i thought i cleared it up...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Irony.

The people who stereotype all cops as pigs are showing the same type of mentality they are accusing the cops of having.

I've known far more very nice, in fact above-and-beyond the call nice, cops than I have met asshole cops.

Of course asshole cops exist, because asshole people exist. But those cops are few and far between.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix

Originally posted by jmilici

Yes undercovers do do home visits. They are called detectives.

This is what you get when you "learn" from tv...undercovers and detectives are two totally different things...undercover is a postition...assignment...while detective is a rank...they are not the same...thats why i thought i cleared it up...

I did make that mistake I appologise. But I will add that most undercover cops are/were or will be detectives. And I did not "learn" from tv as you say. And I am absolutely offended you would imply such a thing without even knowing anything about me. I have better things to do with my self than watch tv. I know this becouse I have cousins that are police, 2 were nyc detectives, 1 was a suffolk county cop. I had 2 neighbors that were NYC cops one a detective and a very close friend of the family was a NYC cop. I also learned this directly from being through the system and causing my own trouble as a kid.

You actually did not clear that up, what you said is that undercover cops do not come to your house. But anyway I was wrong by not differentiating(sp) the two. Yes you can be undercover and not be a detective but you can also be a detective and still go undercover.

But back the actual discussion what they probably meant to say was a detective and not undercover. Atleast that is how I took it.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So the cops you know where "@ssholes" too?...or just the ones who arrested you?...

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

So the cops you know where "@ssholes" too?...or just the ones who arrested you?...

LOL, no, I've never actually been arrested. I know a lot of cops because my stepdad is a corrections officer (screw
) and my father is an ex-con. When I went to the local jail I could see both my dads.
The best cops are the beat cops. As you go up the chain you see a higher percentage of assholes.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Actually I never said cops were @ssholes. Yes some are though. As far as the cops I know I do not know if they are corrupt or @ssholes. And only in one experience of being arrested they were @ssholes, but I honestly gave them reason to be.

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Cops are like every other profession...most are good...but the few @ssholes ruin it for everyone else...it just frustrates me when people blanket a profession...and that happens alot when dealing with cops...

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm new to this site. This is my first post. I used to respect police officers. I went to college for several years majoring in criminal justice with the intention of becoming one. While taking these courses I attended a lecture given by a police office on methods of arresting people when you really didn't have a reason. While taking these courses I interacted with many local police officers and their arrogance and complete disregard for people's rights turned me off to being a police officer. During class discussions officers seemed to be pre-occupied with finding ways of getting around people's rights. From watching the officers in my area I don't really believe the majority are concerned with enforcing the law. Most are just into the power trip the badge gives them. They spend most of their time hanging around stores and shopping malls flirting with the women working there. I know several women who work in stores who say that they are constantly hounded by the officers to give them sex. One lady I know actually dated one officer for a while and she told me he and his friends on the force carried materials to plant on persons they wanted to arrest. I've seen many other things that the local police do that are illegal. I only have personal knowledge of my local area but it would seem that as prevalent as it is here it has to be a country wide problem. I understand that even here there are officers who do not take part in the illegal activites. However, they have to know it is going on and by looking the other way they are just as guilty as the ones doing it. These are just my observations.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
mystic...this isnt a fact...but from what ive gathered...it seems like a cop from a smaller town is more likely to be corrupt or an @sshole then from a larger city...i think its because in smaller towns the whole force knows each other...are more friendly with each other....and more likely to cover each others backs...i find this different in larger cities...we dont need to plant things on people in NYC because theres no need to....things just fall into your lap weither youre looking or not...in a smaller town that seems not to be the case...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join