US conducts atomic test amid global urge for nuclear disarmament

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

US conducts atomic test amid global urge for nuclear disarmament

www.presstv.ir

The US Energy Department announced that the Wednesday nuclear test was aimed at providing “crucial information to maintain the safety and effectiveness of the nation's nuclear weapons.”

The subcritical experiment, known as Pollux, was conducted by the staff from the Nevada National Security Site, Los Alamos National Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories.

Subcritical nuclear tests examine the behavior of plutonium when shocked by forces produced by chemical high explosives.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Looking for more sources on this. Please give a hand. I really thought this was against the "rules". Really? We really need to be doing this now? Testing with chemical reactions, could be a practice on Syria. Again any help on more sources is much needed. Texas power poles that lit up? Need to see if this lines up to the timeline, if I could find one.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here's a video of the test...not much to see though.

Link to another thread on the subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-12-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novaroc
Looking for more sources on this.

The official press release...
NNSA

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Given that much of the US's nuclear material is older than most of the members of ATS, I understand completely that an on-going testing program must be conducted to determine the safety/usability of the weapons. This seems to have been a 'subcritical' test which would be nonexplosive. Just an experiment to see how plutonium reacts under a particular circumstance.

And I would be a little careful about saying there is a global desire for dis-armament. MAD has kept the global peace for a long time now. Is it no longer needed? I am not so sure.
edit on 12/7/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It would appear that they are testing to see what would happen if we bomb Iranian facilities containing plutonium.

We definitely did not set off a nuclear weapon in this test, 'subcritical' being the keyword.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I believe this is the video of the Pollux experiment they conducted....

Somehow I think the intent of the article publisher is to make it out to be more than it is.....
edit on 7-12-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just a little reminder that this planet if left to the devices of the current gaggle of 1% sociopaths in charge is DOOMED. To paraphrase the physicist Enrico Fermi, "what is not a statistical impossibility, is compulsory". It's only a matter of time before one of these things are once again used against real, innocent people and the obliteration of the planet begins. OR capitalist psycho's use up all of the planets resources to create more useless consumer sh$t, produced by chinese slave labour.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Exactly, now that I have read the rest of the reports. So it leans toward Iran getting waxed over then. Wonder what "terrorist action" they commit that leaves us no choice but to conduct open military actions?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Novaroc

Subcritical tests are perfectly legal under the test ban treaty.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I was wondering if there is any significance in the name chosen for the experiment.

I am not coming up with any connection between Pollux (of the twins Castor and Pollux) and Iran or nuclear weapons.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Somehow I think the intent of the article publisher is to make it out to be more than it is.....

Yeah right.

Like it was done for peaceful reasons.

Or

US hasn't used it on nations.

Or

US is not putting pressure on Iran to give up Iran's peaceful nuclear program.

What are hiding ?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
DP
edit on 7-12-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Blatant hypocrisy.

Telling others not to procure nuclear bombs but testing its own nuclear device for its killing efficacy.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Novaroc
reply to post by Maxmars

Exactly, now that I have read the rest of the reports. So it leans toward Iran getting waxed over then. Wonder what "terrorist action" they commit that leaves us no choice but to conduct open military actions?

None needed. All these false flag ideas just get annoying, The US has said they will not let Iran have the bomb and when/if they strike Iran that will the only excuse they need.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by Novaroc

Subcritical tests are perfectly legal under the test ban treaty.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

It's PressTV, the Iranian state run network.

Naturally they want the rest of the world to think we are still testing nukes.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
It would appear that they are testing to see what would happen if we bomb Iranian facilities containing plutonium.

We definitely did not set off a nuclear weapon in this test, 'subcritical' being the keyword.

That's what I thought as well. Also, could be some useful information if there was a terrorist attack on some of our nuclear stuff.

Lol @ all the people on ATS who think it is just another sign of the U.S. wanting to nuke stuff and picturing massive mushroom clouds. Ignorance is bliss... or fear. Depends.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Iran does the same thing and they get sanctioned.

Blatant hipocrosy

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Iran is conducting shock wave tests on refined weapons grade plutonium?!?

If that were the case, Israel would already be in an all out attack.

edit on 12/7/2012 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yeah there is blantant hypocrisy going on here by presstv,

The experiments are subcritical; that is, no critical mass is formed and no self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction can occur; thus, there is no nuclear explosion.

No nuclear chain reaction means no nuclear explosion which means no real test.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join