It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk Tomahawks.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I would say art and tool.

selfrelianceessentials.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
Most of the machine made items being knife or hawk or any other cutting tool are ground and not forged. A properly forged blade is heated to a specific temp[ dependant on type of steel] it is then struck causing the mloecular alignment of its atomic structure. Not only does this alignment increase strength it also increases in molecular density due to the hammer strikes compressing this same structure. So now you have a piece of steel that is both dense and molecularly grained creating a stronger metalurgical structure. Couple this with the newfound quenching in liquid nitrogen and you get a much stronger metalurgical compound.

But then it is apparent that longevity and ability to withstand abuse, coupled with the possibility of handing something over to your grandchildren as a family heirloom is not in the forground of you thinking. Yes your tool will work and do its job, but it will not work as well, last as long, or even have the artistic value of a hand made piece. If you are comparing paying 35$ us for a mass produced item to 60$ us for a hand made heirloom then you obiously need to spend your money on something other than a tomahawk to play around with, on an occasional weekend in the woods, or to place in a bag for future use when you may not have the knowledge or experience to use what things you have.

You have asked for opinions and I have given mine based on science and fact. If you choose to not take this into consideration that is up to you. I am only trying to explain the diferrences in what to expect from what you buy.

reluctantpawn
edit on 12-12-2012 by reluctantpawn because: edit for content

The one I mentioned is drop forged and fits the role perfect for a common mans needs which is what I think most people looking at the thread would be.Now if you want to spend double or even more for handmade bragging rights be my guest, but I highly doubt you would notice any difference.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I know.
But, I am more inclined for a full steel piece and not a steel head with wooden shaft.

But why? They have less functionality and weigh more

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NLDelta9

Less functionality how so?

Weight to me is not a big factor.

I am an old steel and welding guy. I like full steel tools.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Less functionality how so?

Weight to me is not a big factor.

I am an old steel and welding guy. I like full steel tools.

You could use just the head for a lot of purposes,but this seems the best.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Makes sense.
My primary use would be more weapon and less tool. But, you do have a valid point.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I pay nothing for Tomahawks, i make them from lawn mower blades that i cut ,shape, and weld to shaft bushings. I can shape them to any desired shape with my bench grinder, then sharpen them to a razors edge, and because lawn mower blades are made from tempered carbon steel, they are extremely durable and easy to sharpen without much effort, unlike most hatchet steel, which will chip and shatter, if improperly used. All my handle material is Ozark orange hedge, which will withstand every abuse and can also be used as a club. Over the years i have found that old implement farm blades and parts, make the most nifty of edge weapons, the rusty'r the better. After i shape and create, i temper and stress relieve them , then seal the steel by chopping up hedge apples, the sap from the apples create a hard latex cover and i never worry about leaving them out in the weather and damaging them. theres nothing more handy for survival than a hatchet or tomahawk, and if you ever learn to take the time and fashion them, you will become a favorite amongst survivalists the world over

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
i have the SOG tact hawk
sogknives.com...

you can find em on ebay or amazon for about 35 bucks free shipping.

the smaller version is the "fast hawk" for about 20 bucks.
better for throwing, but not for axe use.

the tact hawk i have on my bag, its a great tool. sturdy head for hammering, its got a nice pick, and the axe head is balanced great for actual camp chopping.
and of course as a weapon it works out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join