It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon’s New Surveillance Technology Could Monitor Your Living Room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is about as creepy as it gets. Verizon has a new technology which will watch you, listen to you and thermally scan you as you watch T.V. in the comfort of you own home. Allegedly they will then show commercials appropriate to the activity you are engaged in, emotions displayed. Fondle you partner and they will show condom commercials. Drinking booze... more booze commercials. Think of the possibilities! I find this absolutely outrageous. Time to smash all T.V. sets and cable boxes is at hand.

"In what might be the creepiest installment of companies using surveillance technology on their customers yet, Verizon recently filed a patent for a cable box embedded with a camera and audio recorder to watch and listen to your living room habits. With enough information, the communications giant could then begin serving you targeted ads based on your behavior. And the implications are even more Orwellian than you might expect. From the patent:"

animalnewyork.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Verizon patenting DVR that monitors for cuddling
Advertise | AdChoices
Verizon / USPTO
An illustration from Verizon's patent, showing a DVR that encompasses a room with its camera.
A patent application from Verizon describes a DVR that would watch the living room for "ambient actions" like people singing, fighting, or even cuddling. It would then choose "appropriate" advertisement to show based on its analysis. It isn't the first attempt at this kind of thing, but it might be the creepiest.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Ah, Great all I need 24 hour condoms, lube and Doritos commercials.

But in all seriousness...WTF is wrong with those people. Spying on people?! C'mon man. When will this end? If they do get that out on the market I'll start a new little side line. For 50$ I'll disconnect the camera and mike for everybody who wants my services.
edit on 7-12-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Someone posted about this yesterday
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Pretty creepy stuff.
Apparently I accidentally posted the wrong link.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Havox because: Fix link

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Havox

What does "bright lights flashes across Texas" have to do with anything.
You pasted the wrong URL.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yeah I heard rumours back in 2008 that certain agencies had the ability to basically watch you through your TV ... TV's are not what they used to be !!!

The CIA wants to spy on you through your TV: Agency director says it will 'transform' surveillance - Daily Mail March 2012

"Petraeus says that web-connected gadgets will 'transform' the art of spying - allowing spies to monitor people automatically without planting bugs, breaking and entering or even donning a tuxedo to infiltrate a dinner party."

This week, one of the world's biggest chip companies, ARM, has unveiled a new processor built to work inside 'connected' white goods.

The ARM chips are smaller, lower-powered and far cheaper than previous processors - and designed to add the internet to almost every kind of electrical appliance.

It's a concept described as the 'internet of things'.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

It's not as if they haven't been listening in for quite some time ...(that's why FISA was passed to make it legal retro actively) now they'll just use your playstation eye or web cam or cell phone to get a good look around too ...better get down to the Gym ... a little self concious about my bikini body

www.democracynow.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Oh my goodness thats the scariest thing i've read in a long while. I dont understand how anyone could actually want something like this? How do they plan on marketing it? Why would people fall for this? Its so much more than wanting to give you an optimal program/commercial experience, this is to watch people, get to know them, it's so the government can decipher who is a sheep and who isn't. My family got rid of cable tv, right now all we got is Netflix and even that is too much at times. The government has bought out Facebook and it appears to have bought out verizon as well.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Who the hell uses verizon as a cable provider?

I'm just glad I don't have cable, the interwebs is all I need.

I guess the thing we need to start thinking about is, how far should we allow technology to go in the name of product placement? This is obviously a gross invasion of privacy, at least if you were forced to use the boxes by your cable provider, or they didn't tell you that's what the box did. Seriously though, were are laser rifles? I don't give to #s about high-tech cable boxes.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Well, that's no good. Guess I can't get busy in the living room

More data mining to sell you crap you don't want.

JAK

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
There is an earlier thread on this topic available here:

1984 Television Spying Tech Finally Here?

In order to keep all information and commentary on this topic in a single thread I'll close this one and ask everyone to visit the one posted earlier.

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It.

Thank you.

top topics

join