It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The vigil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Everyone knows that the holidays are a time of heightened stress and deepened depression for many people. This year, add all the 2012 doomsday apocalypse angst and I think you'll agree that people are in a particularly fragile state. It's not certain whether this compounded anxiety and despair contributed to some recent suicides...

Kate hospital receptionist who was duped by Australian DJs' prank phone call dies in suspected suic

Branislav Milinkovic Dead: Serbia's Ambassador To NATO Takes His Own Life

...and others, but at least it's pretty clear that people are on edge.

More Americans now commit suicide than are killed in car crashes as miserable economy takes its toll

~~I invite you to join me in a vigil for the next few weeks~~

Please join me as I keep a closer watch over what comes out of my mouth. The spoken word is very powerful. Somehow, we've forgotten that. But, how many times has a kind word lifted you up and helped you keep going when you really needed it? Or, how many times has a thoughtless comment brought you crashing down like the person had hit you in the gut with a hammer?

I pledge to go out of my way this season to say at least one positive thing to someone every day AND to pause for just a sec longer to think about the impact of what I'm saying and whether it could hurt someone or push them over the edge.

Anyone else?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is a very nobel idea and I'm totally on board. I've alway's taken the time to think of what others have said to me and how it hurt me. But until now, I've never really stopped to think about what I've said to others. I don't often go out of my way to be mean, but it happens. I am a human, and I will be an asshole sometimes. I think now however, I'll be a little bit more aware of how my words can affect those that read them...

S&F

Robb

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PollyPeptide

Thank you, Robb. I remember times in my life when I was fragile while going through divorce, family illness, financial woes, and other things. At times, I would put on a brave face and not talk about it, but I remember a few times when someone's careless comment had me running from the room and bursting into tears in a bathroom stall. And, I've done it to other people plenty of times, too. We all have arsehole capability.

Thank you for joining me!

new topics

join