It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Many Strong Earthquakes Shake Japan - At Least 21 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
At least two people are dead as 5 strong earthquakes struck Japan. A recorded magnitude 6.9 quake struck the city of Niigata at 5:56 p.m, whichl asted for at least a minute. Power was knocked out due to the quakes, of at least 250,000 people.

bloomberg.com
Oct. 23 (Bloomberg) -- At least five strong earthquakes struck northwest Japan on Saturday, collapsing homes, cutting power to hundreds of thousands of residents, derailing a ``bullet'' train, and shaking buildings across Tokyo.

At least two people died and more than 100 were injured in Niigata prefecture, northwest of Tokyo, which bore most of the force of the earthquakes, Kyodo News reported, citing police.

Buildings in the capital swayed for nearly a minute after the first quake, which struck Niigata at 5:56 p.m. with a magnitude of 6.9, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At least 5 people were hospitalized. The aftershocks of the quake were registering near 6.0, the last two being recorded at magnitude 5.5 and 5.8. According the Japans Meteorological Survey, jolts greater than 6.0 were recorded at 6:12 p.m. and 6:34 p.m.

A bullet train was also derailed, as well as several buildings collapsing. There is currently no threat of a tsunami.

UPDATE

At least 4 people are dead and 300 injured. The latest USGS maps are showing that a 5.5 aftershock has just taken place.

UPDATE
At least 21 are now being reported killed in the series of strong earthquakes and aftershocks in Japan. The latest aftershock reported by the USGS measured at magnitute 6.1. Bridges have collapsed, train tracks buckled, and highways have caved in. At least 1,000 people have been injured, and countless are homeless. This is being reported as Japan's worst earthquake since 1995

bloomberg.com
Oct. 24 (Bloomberg) -- Aftershocks continued in northwest Japan after a series of earthquakes killed 21 and injured 1,800, forcing thousands more to seek shelter in the deadliest temblor since 1995.

Highways caved in, railway lines buckled and bridges collapsed along the fault lines. Seven earthquakes and as many as 280 aftershocks may cause landslides in areas where Typhoon Tokage -- the worst cyclone to hit Japan since 1991 -- poured as much as 500 millimeters (19.7 inches) of rain last week, a Japan Meteorological Agency spokesman said. The agency warned on its Web site that additional quakes may occur this week.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Links
earthquake.usgs.gov

Updates provided by Hellmutt

[edit on 24-10-2004 by deeprivergal]

[edit on 24-10-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Another 5.5 aftershock has hit the Japan Region

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Deathtoll rising: 13 confirmed dead

Yeah, I think this is confirmation the climate changes have begun. It unnatural how many natural disasters we are having.

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

Yeah, I think this is confirmation the climate changes have begun. It unnatural how many natural disasters we are having.

Please explain the relationship between climate and plate tectonics.

What I think this is merely confirmation that earthquakes happen.

[edit on 10/23/2004 by Tanin]

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
NEWS.com.au: Quake death toll rises to 15

"A SERIES of powerful earthquakes, including an initial tremor measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale, has killed 15 people and injured more than 700 people in central Japan.

The quakes cut off power for 280,000 households and around 42,000 residents in Niigata were evacuated."

Click link for the full article...

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
NEWS.com.au: Earthquake death toll hits 16

Still rising...
16 dead, 4 missing and over 1000 injured

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   

What? Climate changes would have nothing to do with plate tectonics...unless the climate changes were 20 miles down. You need to think before you type.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SHADOW266

What? Climate changes would have nothing to do with plate tectonics...unless the climate changes were 20 miles down. You need to think before you type.

The changes in weather are connected to earth changes. This is something I just know, so no need asking me for information. This is a confirmation that major climate changes, a term I use to encompass all Earth changes, is taking place. Please see "Current Climate Changes" in Fragile Earth for further insight.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Thank you Hellmutt for the additional information. I've updated the initial post.

new topics

top topics

join