It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compass Gone Haywire. Check Your Compass!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The readings on my Nexus 7 compass/magnetometer are not quite right. I calibrated it multiple times, yes. What used to be North is no longer showing as North. It's showing almost the opposite.

Can people with compasses maybe a mechanical one check your bearings and see if your readings are 'normal'.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

Just checked my old school analogue compass.

North is still north according to it.

Maybe you have a glitch in your software.

vvv

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

My readings are normal. No calibration issues or malfunctions of any kind.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Just grabbed my two compasses out of my BoB(engineer compass, and map compass) both are reading true ATM.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The front door of my house still points South!

...and my compass shows North as usual!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Compass on my Galaxy S2 north is curently west..
but its not sitting still either, floating around several degrees each side of that

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. Maybe my tablet is into pole shift theories.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PINGi14

Get a real compass.

Mine are all fine.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'm off by almost 5 degrees from two days ago when I last checked.
I'll look again when I get home.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
My pilfering spouse who'd steal from his own Mother's dead body has "disappeared" my #1 professional compass ... and I'm left with only my pocket one which is cheesier; but, still usually close.

I had to set it on a firm desktop to get it to settle down. Normally, I can hold it and it works.

Currently, it's showing EAST as North.

When my spouse gets home - there's going to be "compass wars"!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
my real 'non electrical' compass is pointing true north also ...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Phone compasses need to be re-calibrated all the time. And they are hardly the most accurate form out there. Maybe this is what started the whole pole shift nonsense.

Most people probably don't even know how to read a real compass. Dear god, in 100 years I can see people thinking the world ran out of water because a glitch in some water app...

-facepalm-

x20872350982342

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by PINGi14
Thanks for the replies. Maybe my tablet is into pole shift theories.

lol great answer

software-run things are never as reliable as good old mechanical objects - for many applications in life

so best try to reproduce with an actual needle-type compass bought for a buck or two at any local store

If that is also giving you similar results as the tab compass, then there must be something in proximity that has a strong magnetic field (that you can't see or feel yourself), that's causing the compass to go askew.
edit on 7-12-2012 by rainychica because: add paragraph returns

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Segenam

I would be worried if you compass points to True North

Surely you mean magnetic North? which depending on where you are varies in deviation from True.

Just saying

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg
I would be worried if you compass points to True North

Surely you mean magnetic North? which depending on where you are varies in deviation from True.

Just saying

Indeed, you beat me to it.

Anyway, my Expedition 4 still points to magnetic north, or would someone like me to get it to point to Grid North or True North?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
hmmm... I checked this on my phone compass (which looked normal, moving a little, but normal) on 3 different apps, and then I got out my regular compass, and compared. (careful to keep the phone away from the regular compass so as not to affect it.) for some reason it's fluctuating maybe 5 degrees or so but it is moving, bouncing around a little. so I got out a third compass. and yes the regular ones are about 10-15 degrees off, more west than they should be...
Kinda strange.

Locations matter, to some extent, too bad we arent all "map visible" for this comparison. Im in the San Francisco bay area, California.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Lol Nexus 7 fail

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I haven't had a "regular" compass work right in the last 10 years. Me and some buddies went and found the "lay Lines" near us years ago and when we went into the center of the line nobodys compass would work. I went and purhased an electronic compass and could NEVER get it to set to absolute north.(I glued it to a table so I knew it wasn't moving)

When my garmin goes haywire and planes start falling out of the air, I will then get worried.

I also noticed that if I held a Miller lite beer can in my hand while I was trying to get compass readings, the metal in the can would always mess up the magnetics. I tried emptying the can on many ocassions but it never seemed to alleviate the problem. After about 6 or 7 tries, I kinda forgot what the experiment was and went on my merry way......lol

Maybe the internal compasses in all the animals are telling us something.. I seem to be really sensitive to electromagnetics and if wi-fi affects me the way it does, I can just imagine what all our cell towers are doing to the rest of the animals.

We should know soon...

oxi

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Can you guys supply your general location along with your readings? Saying its probably the phone is fine, but only after we determine people from the same areas have different readings at the same time.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I just checked out my iphone compass which is usually spot on and I am reading 317 degrees nw , at what was north the last time I checked. I am in Northern California just south of Oregon. We are situated pretty far out in the boonies and don't have much as far as interference generally. I'll keep an eye on it to see if anything changes when I head into town later today.

Penny

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join