It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube Is Trying To Track You.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
YT loves to cheat on view counts too - they do it constantly. They censor video counts on anything at anytime - as they please.
YouTube Caught Reducing Burien Video View Count 12-9-12 From Walter Burien - CAFR1

edit on 9-12-2012 by Gregorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceOfEarth
Youtube is owned by google, trust me when I say, they have already been tracking you.

That's why I now use Startpage search engine (and others). That's why I got rid of my android smart phone. That's why I run "Do not track me" and "Bleachbit". In a world gone totally insane, I'm doing my best to opt-out of the madness.

BTW .... The Russians have supposedly built a android phone sans google spyware. I'll be looking forward to buying one (or a similar phone) when the prices drop.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

Originally posted by PrinceOfEarth
Youtube is owned by google, trust me when I say, they have already been tracking you.

That's why I now use Startpage search engine (and others). That's why I got rid of my android smart phone. That's why I run "Do not track me" and "Bleachbit". In a world gone totally insane, I'm doing my best to opt-out of the madness.

BTW .... The Russians have supposedly built a android phone sans google spyware. I'll be looking forward to buying one (or a similar phone) when the prices drop.

========================================================================

jcarpenter
I just dnlded Bleachbit - I have the others - DoNotTrack is self explanatory.......but how do I use Bleachbit? The best way I meant to say............

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
For those who registered with youtube, and want to confuse the 'researchers' view videos that have no interest for you, in equal amounts of the videos that do interest you, a sports fan? right, history, astronomy, cooking, Jazz, basket weaving, get the picture? while those videos are playing, cook, shower, read a book,.......

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregorian

I just dnlded Bleachbit - I have the others - DoNotTrack is self explanatory.......but how do I use Bleachbit?

Power it up -- it's pretty self-explanatory. Just check the items you want to search for ordinary or persistent cookies. Make sure you check for cookies in "flash".

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

I just dnlded Bleachbit - I have the others - DoNotTrack is self explanatory.......but how do I use Bleachbit?

Power it up -- it's pretty self-explanatory. Just check the items you want to search for ordinary or persistent cookies. Make sure you check for cookies in "flash".

Yea _ began to see that after a bit.........looks to be a very good device.........thanks

What is it abt. Flash that needs special attention...........are their cookies persistent?

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HIStory Indeed

Yup...and it's like the Borg say : "Resistance is futile." People like that won't hear the truth, no matter how well explained, so long as it differs from their opinion.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

YT loves to cheat on view counts too - they do it constantly. They censor video counts on anything at anytime - as they please.
YouTube Caught Reducing Burien Video View Count 12-9-12 From Walter Burien - CAFR1

Happens all the time - mostly seeing the 301 views on a vid while it has something like 3k likes.. Think YT does that to thwart bots - most of the time the counts go to what they should be.

Back to the OP Tracking topic - Even your online banking is tracked by the bank - they send info to their 3rd party partners. You can opt out on some cases I'm sure.

As for YT tracking what vid you watch - I'm glad they do. I'd rather have the video's on the sidebar to be what I want to watch instead of huge-ass back pimples being popped. Google does the same thing (if signed in) in your searches - which I am also down for.

If you aren't doing anything illegal - then why worry. If you want to use the net and minimize being tracked - try the incognito browser or safe browsing (or whatever your browser has). Those cookies are kept separate from your main browser.

If you are into the not-so-legal stuff (silk road) - try the Onion network. Be sure to get start your bitcoin mining now - stuff ain't cheap.

-CN

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...-p0Feds want to track you in your vehicle

Every car and truck will be monitored by TSA .......All forms of transport will be under surveillance....this means NO freedom of movement. This is why they named it Transportation Security Administration and not ASA.....Airport Saftey Administration. I realized this early on and it was a very scary thought to imagine what lies ahead for American citizens, and this is only the beginning.

posted on Dec, 9 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregorian

Not surprising at all. We're all sporting some kind of tracking device these days whether it be a laptop, cell phone, car... etc etc. All we can do is get used to it. In a technology fueled world...not much we can do about it.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
UGH! Sometimes I feel like an ambassador to the internet.

I own a digital marketing and consulting firm. In addition to helping clients create and post content, we also help them manage their "Sales funnel" through the use of online advertising. Many of our ATS members from the EU, Australia and Canada may not be familiar with what I am going to share with you as, for whatever reason, they have outlawed many of these practices - perhaps due to a lack of industry oversight.

First of all, EVERYTHING you do online is tracked - ANONYMOUSLY. This means that you have a profile built upon pixel tags, cookies, email logins, explicit data posted on Facebook or LinkedIn, etc... There are THOUSANDS of ways that data is collected and built against your profile. That said, your profile isn't really attached to you. It is attached to a randomized user ID.

In the USA, we have 2 primary organizations who ensure compliance with privacy laws; the DMA (Digital Marketing Alliance) and IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau). These two organizations, together with input and oversight from the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) ensure that all advertisers and their technology providers abide by OBA (Online Behavioral Advertising) Guidelines, co-written by DMA, IAM, FCC and the BBB.

Part of compliance comes from the publishers as well - ATS, for example, is a publisher. Without getting too much into the nerd aspect of how all of this works, ATS continually monitors advertisements placed on their websites to ensure that tracking tags and pixels are NEVER placed on an individuals computer that would allow for personal identification. Rest assured, advertisers try but are almost immediately blacklisted by publishers and ad servers alike.

So, yes - you are being tracked - but not YOU, the metaphysical you - but your profile of interests. In this way, advertisers and publishers can offer content that is deemed to be relevant to you - keeping in mind that a publishers goals are to a.) keep you on their site for as long as possible and b.) to keep you returning as frequently as possible (There are far too many reason why this is critical to publishers to list here). By the same token, it is an advertisers goal to eliminate waste by not advertising to people who have no need or interest in their products. Example; how many 18 to 54 year old males need tampons? Advertisers increase advertising efficiency and ROI by delivering ads to those profiles who most align with their target audience.

Now, if you want to get into the nefarious "SPYING" that takes place online, you need to look at black-hats and the government. These folks employ techniques and technologies that NO off-the-shelf software can uncover and that NO "Do not track" command lines can stop.

There is nothing to worry about when FB or YouTube tracks your browsing habits. In fact, once you understand it better you would be thankful for recognizing that the publishers are simply trying to cater to you.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions. I live and work in the underbelly and know a great deal technically about haw this all works.

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Good read - knowledgeable and well stated but its going to take some doing on my part to accept the principal aspects of your post that attempt to reassure me (us) that the true intentions of the trackers are benign as regards my identity and hence my privacy.

First of all, EVERYTHING you do online is tracked - ANONYMOUSLY. This means that you have a profile built upon pixel tags, cookies, email logins, explicit data posted on Facebook or LinkedIn, etc...

Rest assured, advertisers try [to steal your identity] but are almost immediately blacklisted by publishers and ad servers alike.

So, yes - you are being tracked - but not YOU, the metaphysical you - but your profile of interests. In this way, advertisers and publishers can offer content that is deemed to be relevant to you -

There is nothing to worry about when FB or YouTube tracks your browsing habits. In fact, once you understand it better you would be thankful for recognizing that the publishers are simply trying to cater to you.

Perhaps I am an un-trusting person given to episodes of online paranoia. Given the possibility of that being so - and imagining that I could set my fears aside even for just a moment - I am still not convinced that any of the above (4) statements are really true. I think that the PTB can attach an identifying marker to a screen-name or to the so-called Anonymously profiled "metaphysical" me so that they can have their way with me in any manner they so please.

In some ways I admire your efforts at putting us at ease because they seem genuine enough - its just that I don't trust what you say about the fact that they aren't really tracking me - but a phantom me of whom they have no real concern.

edit on 10-12-2012 by Gregorian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Youtube is asking for your name for one reason: Youtube is infamous for the brutal, harsh, inflammatory comments in the comment section of a lot of videos. They were figuring that if people used their real names, they might be less apt to act like a dick when they commented on someone's video. That's it! That's why they've done this.
edit on 10-12-2012 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
UGH! Sometimes I feel like an ambassador to the internet.

I own a digital marketing and consulting firm. In addition to helping clients create and post content, we also help them manage their "Sales funnel" through the use of online advertising. Many of our ATS members from the EU, Australia and Canada may not be familiar with what I am going to share with you as, for whatever reason, they have outlawed many of these practices - perhaps due to a lack of industry oversight.

First of all, EVERYTHING you do online is tracked - ANONYMOUSLY. This means that you have a profile built upon pixel tags, cookies, email logins, explicit data posted on Facebook or LinkedIn, etc... There are THOUSANDS of ways that data is collected and built against your profile. That said, your profile isn't really attached to you. It is attached to a randomized user ID.

In the USA, we have 2 primary organizations who ensure compliance with privacy laws; the DMA (Digital Marketing Alliance) and IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau). These two organizations, together with input and oversight from the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) ensure that all advertisers and their technology providers abide by OBA (Online Behavioral Advertising) Guidelines, co-written by DMA, IAM, FCC and the BBB.

Part of compliance comes from the publishers as well - ATS, for example, is a publisher. Without getting too much into the nerd aspect of how all of this works, ATS continually monitors advertisements placed on their websites to ensure that tracking tags and pixels are NEVER placed on an individuals computer that would allow for personal identification. Rest assured, advertisers try but are almost immediately blacklisted by publishers and ad servers alike.

So, yes - you are being tracked - but not YOU, the metaphysical you - but your profile of interests. In this way, advertisers and publishers can offer content that is deemed to be relevant to you - keeping in mind that a publishers goals are to a.) keep you on their site for as long as possible and b.) to keep you returning as frequently as possible (There are far too many reason why this is critical to publishers to list here). By the same token, it is an advertisers goal to eliminate waste by not advertising to people who have no need or interest in their products. Example; how many 18 to 54 year old males need tampons? Advertisers increase advertising efficiency and ROI by delivering ads to those profiles who most align with their target audience.

Now, if you want to get into the nefarious "SPYING" that takes place online, you need to look at black-hats and the government. These folks employ techniques and technologies that NO off-the-shelf software can uncover and that NO "Do not track" command lines can stop.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions. I live and work in the underbelly and know a great deal technically about haw this all works.

Thank you for injecting some sense into this. I agree with everything, but would add that I'm not sure if they're exactly trying to 'cater' to us. Sure, they are, but only in attempt to sell things to us, and for no other reason. They want to know our habits, our friends, what our friends' interests are etc., all in an effort to keep us as consumers. This can be viewed as quite neutral - they're advertisers, we're consumers, so what would you expect?

I would however like to add that we can much more easily be manipulated this way too by these advertisers. And then again, at the same time, though they have an easy way of gaining the advantage as advertisers, we have a lot of advantage these days by being able to research user experiences of something we're about to buy, thus making it easier to eliminate buying crap, and thus forcing the advertisers to actually create products that are good.

This is all they want. If you think they're preparing to know who we are and ring our doorbells, keep waiting...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

hehe, yeah noticed that. I refuse to use my full name, even though it is pointless. Im pretty sure privacy died many years ago, and me getting a android phone has the rest of the privacy i had when not on the pc...

Resistance is futile, soon it will be a micro-chip in the ass instead. More cost-effective

I created a blog post of my own about some new drones, i don't know if its really related or not, but i imagine that these will be used heavily for surveillance once they have been built as well:

www.cghobbyist.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Go metal gear solid on these spyware using scum train.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebtheb

Thank you for injecting some sense into this. I agree with everything, but would add that I'm not sure if they're exactly trying to 'cater' to us. Sure, they are, but only in attempt to sell things to us, and for no other reason. They want to know our habits, our friends, what our friends' interests are etc., all in an effort to keep us as consumers. This can be viewed as quite neutral - they're advertisers, we're consumers, so what would you expect?

I would however like to add that we can much more easily be manipulated this way too by these advertisers. And then again, at the same time, though they have an easy way of gaining the advantage as advertisers, we have a lot of advantage these days by being able to research user experiences of something we're about to buy, thus making it easier to eliminate buying crap, and thus forcing the advertisers to actually create products that are good.

This is all they want. If you think they're preparing to know who we are and ring our doorbells, keep waiting...

Thank you for your response. Yes, I assumed that this went without saying... It is driven by a desire to increase revenue - nothing more.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Perhaps I am an un-trusting person given to episodes of online paranoia. Given the possibility of that being so - and imagining that I could set my fears aside even for just a moment - I am still not convinced that any of the above (4) statements are really true. I think that the PTB can attach an identifying marker to a screen-name or to the so-called Anonymously profiled "metaphysical" me so that they can have their way with me in any manner they so please.

In some ways I admire your efforts at putting us at ease because they seem genuine enough - its just that I don't trust what you say about the fact that they aren't really tracking me - but a phantom me of whom they have no real concern.

edit on 10-12-2012 by Gregorian because: (no reason given)

Thanks for your response. Allow me to elaborate... As previously mentioned, the tracking that I am discussing and that was referenced in the OP is for sales and marketing purposes. Absolutely the alphabet agencies can track EVERYTHING you do online and attribute it directly to you - make no mistake about that. However, the data collected by the alphabet agencies are collected by computers who are scanning for keywords, phrases, content and browsing patterns that will then alert an analyst who will determine if the data warrants additional follow-up.

You don't have to trust me on this, but I wish you would because this is what I do - all day - every day.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join