It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube Is Trying To Track You.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Might be a pointless thread, but those of you with a youtube account, I'm sure you've noticed by now, or if not, you will soon.

When I tried to comment on a video, a pop up appeared, telling me to change my "hard to read" username to the name I'm "most well known as." It wanted me to use my full name for my youtube account.

Didn't youtube used to be kind of strict about name changing?

Anyway, when I refused to change my youtube username, the pop up then demanded that I select a reason as to WHY I didn't want to change it. There were about six options, can't remember them all. One said "My account is named after a fictional character, so I can't use my real name" One said "My account if made for a cause or organisation, so I can't use my real name" and it had a few other options similar to those.

And is it me, or is youtube becoming much better at remembering every video you watch? Ever see a video in the side menu that's related to a video you watched a month ago?

Just a minor thing I noticed. Has anyone else noticed this?

edit on 7-12-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

yep so does ats i use a add on called "do not track me" it shows you who is tracking you and gathering info..

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Yea I notice that about a month ago. But I really don't care if they tack me or not. This damn phone is good enough as an ankle bracelet.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Isnt that the point of youtube? I use it because it remebers what videos I watched a year ago, which ones I liked, which ones I favorited... And it recommends videos to me accordingly, based on my taste of music, or my interests in specifict topics. That's why I use yt. I dont care if they track me, they just do it to offer a better service to the consumers, and to sell your personal tracking history to third party companies, anonymously.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Why would they bother and why would they care about tracking someone? What have they to gain? I don’t understand why they do this.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I'm so sick of Youtube changing their home page format!

There is a Firefox addon that helps show you who is tracking from where, and from whom, it's called "Collusion"... works well, you can find it searching through FF addons.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyeinoz

yep so does ats i use a add on called "do not track me" it shows you who is tracking you and gathering info..

oh ingenius... no doubt whomever uses a plugin called "do not track me" get's tracked the HELL out of by the pllugin

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

It's to make a list of so-called "dissenters," and if you don't know why already, than I suppose you live under a rock.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

It's to make a list of so-called "dissenters," and if you don't know why already, than I suppose you live under a rock.

One of the most ridiculous things I have read today on ATS. Youtube on its evil quest to put you in fema camps....

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Its called "adapting to your consumers". Its all about providing better and more efficient means to link you the information you seek. Not more, not less...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Well, if you really want to be paranoid --- Just know that every single time your star or flag a thread/post, it creates it's own individual page - a specific link just for your history in your browser.

Marinate in that.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It popped up for me, but it didn't say my "hard to read" or whatever. It just threw the option to me. You CAN choose to NOT do it. It's not that hard.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Uhhh...you do realize that Youtube, as well as Google are owned by some of the same corporate interests that have turned the American electoral process and congress into a joke.....right.....guess not.. Meh. Just pull that rock back over your head.
edit on 7/12/2012 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xXxinfidelxXx

You sound like you have evidence for this that cannot be refuted.... go ahead post some links mate

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I have no intention of wasting my valuable time on you. If you want some "evidence" (kinda hard to find on the internet, dontcha think?), than why don't you go out and do some research for yourself? I mean, honestly, why are you even here if you obviously have no interest in anything that differs from what the MSM has crammed down your throat. If you want any real information in this world, you're gonna have to dig for it, and since you opened up by being a prick, I'm not gonna do diddly-squat for you. If you had asked me nicely, I might have considered it, but I'm not in the business of helping people who can't help themselves.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I have no intention of wasting my valuable time on you. If you want some "evidence" (kinda hard to find on the internet, dontcha think?), than why don't you go out and do some research for yourself? I mean, honestly, why are you even here if you obviously have no interest in anything that differs from what the MSM has crammed down your throat. If you want any real information in this world, you're gonna have to dig for it, and since you opened up by being a prick, I'm not gonna do diddly-squat for you. If you had asked me nicely, I might have considered it, but I'm not in the business of helping people who can't help themselves.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
it's so it can be used against you in a court of law, in some cases, such as libel and defamation, copyright infringement or if you happen to come into of a position of power or importance, your comments can be attributed to you.

the options all force you to admit that it is you in some way.

whatever the reason, they want to link you to your comments.

there are no t&c violations on youtube, so can imagine some of the things posted there.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

In the time it took you to write this pointless paragraph you could have found this evidence you speak of to back up your claims. Instead you went in to some defensive rant.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
first they try to acquire your telephone number, then your name.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
It's called data mining and it's got everything to do with creating a profile upon you, based upon your preferences, sites visited, videos viewed, and search history. The two immediate intentions are to:

1) Tailor advertising to your on a personal level - thus enabling advertisers to exert less expense in reaching their target audience - all while also gaining access to consumer preference models they used to have to do Q&A's to get.

2) The government also using this same information for profiling purposes.

Limiting the argument to Google or Youtube is simply naive however - as just about every sight you visit does it in one form or another.

The remedy is simple. Unplug your router cable from your computer, and remove all WiFi enabled hardware in the system. Short of that? You're going to be tracked or observed in some form or another.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join