It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge earthquake hits Japan again (07/12/2012)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
The 30+ flags are good enough, I don't understand why there are 4-5 pages of posts in less than an hour in the middle of the night. This is an American site, and it's really late here.

Only an American would think the internet has a nationality.
So this is a fairly big one but not the Japan killer quake yet?

edit on 7-12-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

Please don't let one person spoil it for everyone. I am in the US, and worry for everyone on the planet.. but I agree that many of my friends have no CLUE whats going on beyond their little town. which I don't get... so close minded. ya know? I hope Japan is safe and these quakes stop. I think they've been shell-shocked enough,

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   

The 30+ flags are good enough, I don't understand why there are 4-5 pages of posts in less than an hour in the middle of the night. This is an American site, and it's really late here.

People from different parts of the world with different time zones to you ALSO use this site, its not just for
Americans KIDDO.

edit on 7-12-2012 by skepticovergimp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Does anyone think Fukushima is still standing?? Honestly! Don't tell me it didn't shake the # outta that place.
I was up when it was reported within minutes and as well they reported all nuclear facilities were safe!
How the !@#$ would they know in a half an hour? I call KAKA

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

Exactly!

They were calling it stable while it was still being evacuated.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here's the map from the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) for the Mag. 7.3, also showing the shindo (shaking) by region:

[The map and a full list of shindo rates by region can be found on the JMA site here. I didn't copy the list as it's very long, so if you have interest in a specific region of Japan, just refer to the linked page.]

The shaking in near-coastal regions nearer to the quake ranged from shindo 5 upper down to around shindo 4. Shindo 5 is pretty strong and certainly for the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant's fragile structures, this is something they'd rather not see.

It's fortunate that the quake wasn't more powerful or closer to shore, but even so it does underline the concerns of many people in Japan and elsewhere about the other potential nuclear disasters they could experience in the event of another mega-thrust quake along their extensive subduction zone regions.

Regarding wherther this quake is an aftershock of last year's event, an independent event, or even a foreshock: as TA said, it might be a foreshock but there is no way we can know unless a bigger quake hits in the same region and within the same or a connected fault system. And going by the USGS summary for today's quake, while it might not be a direct aftershock of the March 2011 event, it could well be that the prior, huge event destabilized the fault where this quake occurred. As they say, this was a reverse faulting event near a plate boundary, but the region is very complex and there are many factors (and potential stressors) involved.

We are now in a wait-and-see mode. We can definitely expect a fair number of aftershocks to this event as they are typicla for the region and also for a reasonably shallow quake. (Note that JMA has it shallower than USGS.) So, no-one should be surprised if we see several aftershocks in the mag 5 range and even another one or two up into the low six range.

Mike

edit on 7/12/12 by JustMike because: Added link back to JMA for the map. Added comments re aftershocks etc.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I am going back to read the thread but thought I would throw up the live cam feed at Fuku.

Unfortunately my IPad won't play them right now, but someone else may enjoy them.

radioactive.eu.com...

radioactive.eu.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Thanks for the links. The TBS/JNN live cam seems to be down, but the TEPCO one is working.

Its night there, and there is obviously a lot of compression on the video, but I keep thinking I can see things shaking!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
That fault is continuing to produce quakes, just about non-stop, even though all you see are the bigger ones (4.5+) being reported by the USGS. But what gets me is now it appears the JMA has a problem, because they have stopped reports on their site as of about 40 minutes ago. Watching some of the seismos there in real time, I know for a fact that many more smaller aftershocks have occurred than have been reported on JMA's or the USGS sites. Hmm, not sure what is going on- JMA must be having troubles- usually they have even the smaller 3+'s up in about 4 minutes or less from times of occurrence.

The more I see that fault's behavior the more I think that this has less to do with the 9+, and more to do with its own separate faulting mechanism. I seriously doubt at this point it could be a foreshock for any other quake in the area- seeing as most points anywhere around there would have failed by now with all the seismic action that has been seen there in the last 1.75 years. But we'd be fools to pretend we know much about that complex faulting system- remember they never suspected that a 9+ could happen there. So you just never know what's coming next from there. That quake being so close to the line doesn't seem to be good either.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by iAnjo

Maybe the Chinese want them off the Island!!

Apart from that though, I hope we don't hear of more Nuclear Plant Meltdowns!!

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hi TA,

could it be simply that their seismologists are rather busy right now, analyzing data from the M 7.3? A lot of the seismo data (for small events) that's come in during the past few hours will need to be manually reviewed as they were pretty swamped by the big one for quite a while.

So, while there's no doubt they're also following the many smaller events, perhaps they're not updating their maps etc simply due to their other priorities.

Re what you said about the event's causation and related matters: seems to me like you're on the money there. Nothing further to add but

Mike

edit on 7/12/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
could it be simply that their seismologists are rather busy right now, analyzing data from the M 7.3? A lot of the seismo data that's come in during the past few hours will need to be manually reviewed as they were pretty swamped by the big one for quite a while.

Yeah, maybe...Could be they will start backfilling the charts with all the smaller ones later. But I guarantee you there are many 2 to 3+ mags missing. Seen em myself. And she's still rumbling as we speak. Slowly dying down I guess. But this has much more of the attributes of a standard main shock-aftershock sequence, rather than the one-off aftershocks typical of what we saw in 2011 after the 9+. And look at the aftershock distribution as well, all hovering around that main point of fault rupture. That also supports my assertion that this is perhaps just another Japan quake, as they are so prone to get.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well, its hit the UK MSM now- just reported on BBC News. Said a tsunami warning has now been lifted after a 1M high wave came ashore in virtually the same place as the 'big one'.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sorry, a bit off topic, but is this latest event associated in any way to the recent tunnel collapse?
Think that, at the time, they were saying there had been no recent tremors that could have caused the roof to fall down.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

That's why ATS is my first stop on the internet when I start up my comp in the morning. That and email. I know it's very disconcerting, right? There were times I read on here about something that should have been huge, turn on the TV to see what the news is saying about it... and nothing. Usually they are talking about some nonsense or something obviously on their agenda for guiding public opinion about something political or racially charged. I'm sick of it too.

On topic: Thanks OP for posting. I feel so, so, bad for the people of Japan right now. The thing that makes me mad is some people probably say they must deserve it, punishment from God for their sins.... blah blah blah.. whoa kinda weird this is on the Pearl Harbor anniversary

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Alright, if this is true then I officially have no use for the mainstream media anymore.
Why is it that every time something earth shattering (no pun intended) happens, I find out about it on ATS first?

Which is why I leave ATS open all the time, it's my news feed. I'm tired of celebrity gossips and shenanigans on the MSM.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Interesting Map... It seems that the entire ring of fire is very active.

Dont normally follow this, wonder if it is a normal occurance.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
I am going back to read the thread but thought I would throw up the live cam feed at Fuku.

Unfortunately my IPad won't play them right now, but someone else may enjoy them.

radioactive.eu.com...

radioactive.eu.com...

Thanks for the links, but when I checked them, both were down, anybody else have any luck?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

This is the most moronic thing i've read on ATS in a long time. Scrap that, its the msot moronic thing i've read on the whole web ever. Disgrace to all the decent American's out there who have woken up to the fact that theres life outside your large island.

I'm really worried, hope this turns out to be ok .
edit on 7-12-2012 by Undeadlady because: .

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
reply to post by Screwed

That's why ATS is my first stop on the internet when I start up my comp in the morning. That and email.

So it's not just me then?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
On the anniversary of Pearl Harbor....interesting coincidence or what?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join