It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smart Government Spending!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Very rarely, you see titles such as this.

Very rarely does the government spend money in a way that can benefit mankind.

DoD Spends $100,000 Studying Whether Jesus Died for Klingons

Finally! Some very key puzzling answers can be found. We need to create cabinet positions on this one! Ignore the UN, blow off the wars, screw entitlements!

At another DoD-funded gathering, the brainstorming sessions covered topics such as how to make deep space travel most efficient, how scientists would go about creating a “warp bubble,” and whether or not humans would need to wear clothing during space travel. This event even featured actors from the famous "Star Trek" TV series as special guests.

This was in conjunction with the 100 Year Starship project, the goal of which is to "foster a rebirth of a sense of wonder" to "make interstellar space travel practicable and feasible." So far, the 100 Year Project has consumed more than $1 million.

Space Link

Naked space travel and a Klingon Jesus.

I want a pice of this action!!!! Smile, ATS, and sleep tight. Your government is looking out for you!

edit on 6-12-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I honestly thought your OP was going to be a blank box, but how wrong I was! Thank you for restoring our faith in the government.

This confirms that the country is divided into two groups. One that thinks money is irrelevant, there's always more, and that it comes for free. The second group sees value in money and tries to use it to best advantage.

Unfortunately, this split also occurs in the electorate.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Was this like a big convention of ideas and someone presented the one stated in the OP as a kind of goof and conservatives ran with it saying that the sum of the entire convention/brain storming/whatever amounted to nothing more than that joke concept, when in reality that was but a tiny tiny bit that didn't actually consume any money?

Sounds like it.

Also.. haven't seen you around much Beez. Did the election hurt that bad? I guess you'll be voting with me for Johnson in 16?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Granted, the money spent is just a drop in the fiscal septic tank that is Washington, but I'm glad to see that the people we "hire" have such a high regard for the responsibility towards financial stewardship.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

its easy to take this out of context,
so let me help you out.

this is part of the 100 years starship program and is to start on the long path of establishing long distance space travel
while in isolation this looks a little strange part of the program is to engage with sci fi fans to build long term support from fans and writers.

i actually sent a breif to the 100 year star ship symposium thinking they wanted space ship designs,
as it turns out not so much at this stage,

but a very worthy goal takes many paths, some not immediately obvious

xploder
edit on 6-12-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by beezzer

Was this like a big convention of ideas and someone presented the one stated in the OP as a kind of goof and conservatives ran with it saying that the sum of the entire convention/brain storming/whatever amounted to nothing more than that joke concept, when in reality that was but a tiny tiny bit that didn't actually consume any money?

Sounds like it.

Also.. haven't seen you around much Beez. Did the election hurt that bad? I guess you'll be voting with me for Johnson in 16?

I see this as something that should have been at ComiCon, not DoD.

(Changing careers, moving, writing my book, family time, and working on a Naked-Klingon-Space-Jesus Programme for the DoD has kept me rather busy.)

And yes, I will be voting for Johnson in '16.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
reply to post by beezzer

so let me help you out.

this is part of the 100 years starship program and is to start on the long path of establishing long distance space travel
while in isolation this looks a little strange part of the program is to engage with sci fi fans to build long term support from fans and writers.

i actually sent a breif to the 100 year star ship symposium thinking they wanted space ship designs,

but a very worthy goal takes many paths, some not imediatly obvious

xploder

Far enough. I will grant you that. Would like to see your brief. Are you at a point where you'd be willing to share?

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
That is a totally legitimate question. I think.

But wait, this isn't right. The Klingon's didn't make contact with earth yet. We're not even supposed to invent hyper drive for another couple hundred years. The Vulcan's have to make first contact before the Klingons get here.

But I do think the underlying reason for this spending is kind of interesting, albeit useless spending.
edit on 12/6/12 by Echo3Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Isn't this kinda like the people of the Founding Fathers time trying to design G.E. Miniguns and Rail Guns in their musket workshops? I mean....wouldn't it be productive to, maybe, talk about getting to the MOON again before spending money on think tank talk shops about what is so far beyond the orbital truck driving they've settled into now, it's unrealistic.

I'm thinking at a measly 17 billion a year at NASA for the entirely agency budget cost,....$100,000 could have been meaningful around their neck of the woods,

Jesus?? Klingons?? Really?? Someone really even said the two in the same breath?? A religious figure and a purely fictional creation of Sci-Fi Television? errr... Wow... I'd make another Religious Figure comparison for contrast of the absurdity but I might get a Fatwa put out on me or something.
Talk about offensive on more than one level for this.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

I think I'll just stay amused over it. I may also speculate that this is an attempt to sway religious folks towards acceptance when disclosure occurs, but in reality, it's just silly spending.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's no more fictional than the budget talks!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Far enough. I will grant you that. Would like to see your brief. Are you at a point where you'd be willing to share?

as it is public record (100yss is publicly funded) i can retrieve parts of my breif and share them with you,
but i do not keep them on my computer as i get hacked often.

i will make you a deal,
you write another dirk freemly short story and i will post what i can retrieve from my communications with the 100 year star ship council,

deal?

xploder

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Oh.. Ouch.. Low Blow....

(Hop-Limps off to tend to those wounds...
)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
100k on Jesus die for the klingons to?

So much for that separation of church and state, oh well that is why we hate the evil rich and want to tax them out of existence.

edit on 6-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

as it is public record (100yss is publicly funded) i can retrieve parts of my breif and share them with you,

i will make you a deal,
you write another dirk freemly short story and i will post what i can retrieve from my communications with the 100 year star ship council,

deal?

xploder

Deal! I'm hnestly interested in the programme and would like to see some honest input.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
100k on Jesus die for the klingons to?

So much for that separation of church and state, oh well that is why we hate the evil rich and want to tax them out of existence.

Christmas Jesus is different from Naked-Klingon-Space-Jesus.

And well put! The wealthy need to cough up more money for studies like this!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by XPLodER

Isn't this kinda like the people of the Founding Fathers time trying to design G.E. Miniguns and Rail Guns in their musket workshops? I mean....wouldn't it be productive to, maybe, talk about getting to the MOON again before spending money on think tank talk shops about what is so far beyond the orbital truck driving they've settled into now, it's unrealistic.

without setting goals now and working towards them we would still be waiting in 100 years time,
a journey starts with the first step

I'm thinking at a measly 17 billion a year at NASA for the entirely agency budget cost,....$100,000 could have been meaningful around their neck of the woods,

when writters start producing fiction based on nasa scientists work, it will engage a wider community that just scientists
think of the inspiration that stemmed from carl sagan

Jesus?? Klingons?? Really?? Someone really even said the two in the same breath?? A religious figure and a purely fictional creation of Sci-Fi Television? errr... Wow... I'd make another Religious Figure comparison for contrast of the absurdity but I might get a Fatwa put out on me or something.
Talk about offensive on more than one level for this.

one big question is how does religion effect space travel and vice versa,
only by asking for debate on these complex questions now can we be prepared in the future

xploder

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

reply to post by beezzer

i will make you a deal,

deal?

xploder

Deal! I'm hnestly interested in the programme and would like to see some honest input.

BRB

xploder
edit on 7-12-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yep Jesus ate dinner with the Klingons and drank blood wine, and ate some Gagh then the next day woke up and drank a raktajino, altho that was the real last supper.

edit on 6-12-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

so let me help you out.

but a very worthy goal takes many paths, some not immediately obvious

xploder
edit on 6-12-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately they spent 100000 ALREADY.

They could have joined ATS and discussed it for free.

Point is?

Waste of Money.

edit on 6-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: too many zeros.....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join