It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP caves, Speaker Boehner says taxes will be raised on the rich

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
The Republicans never had a real shot in this battle.

If we get to 1/1 with no deal, they will receive the majority of the blame. GOP has no option but to get as many spending cuts as they can in exchange for the Bush cuts expiration on people making 250K+

And there should be spending cuts... But lets face facts here. Obama won. HE won running on raising taxes on the rich. At some point, shouldnt the experiment of the 90's be repeated?

You know, I think this can be where the compromise is workable too. We have an ideological impasse...at least until Boehner went spineless to claim he thought the whole thing up or something. I'd say the Republicans should and easily can, as you note there, give Obama the higher taxes that it's fair to say he was elected understanding he would do.

In exchange..,..I'd say leaving the power of issuance of money and debt in the hands of the House of Representatives is a decent idea. So, in keeping within the lines of legal handling of the budget...common ground could be had here. That is, if either side in Washington cares to find it at all. We'll see, right?
edit on 6-12-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It's almost a if they want to fail. Makes one think.....

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I disagree with that. The problem is a failure of leadership to redirect government initiatives. The simple economic truth is that we get more of what government subsidizes. Government has been trying to carry on as if it were 2007 and the current economic and social conditions are a phase rather than a reflection of a new global reality. That reality is America is in decline.

Russian-immigrant-turned-social-commentator Dimitri Orlov captured this idea nicely in The Limits of Language

...[t]his rule requires them to strictly adhere to a fictional, toy version of the world and of the role of the President of the US within it. We did not see two candidates campaigning to be elected into a position of leadership, but two actors auditioning for the role of President in a play that takes place strictly in the past...

You see, they are auditioning for the role of someone who pretends to be “running” a country (whatever that means) that is itself not exactly running. It is by now defined by just two things: unstoppable inertia in the wrong direction, and a long list of broken promises. The federal government over which, if elected, they will pretend to “preside” (whatever that means) has two remaining choices: continue with the strategy of hemorrhaging debt and collapse in a few years once that strategy stops working, or don't continue with that strategy, and collapse now.

His point is well-taken. We have a government that is living in the past and a population that is becoming more and more impoverished.

A collapse doesn't negate a reconstruction, as seen in Russia. The US government could begin a radical new realignment, to include bringing anti-trust suits to those businesses that are "too big to fail" -a code for monopoly- to ensure that we don't have another cascading failure. They could reduce gas prices right now by having all new civilian fleet vehicles run on CNG. The US government is the biggest purchaser of new cars and an Executive Order mandating that new fleet vehicles run on natural gas would require the auto makers to change their assembly lines allowing regular people like you and I to buy a CNG vehicle off-the-lot. We have a gross abundance of natural gas in the US.

We have options and a future but we need leadership. Instead we have Washington squabbling over fragments of the past.

Thus my disagreement. Congress shouldn't barter for more control of the money supply but barter for new initiatives.

But they won't. It's still 2007 in the District of Columbia.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Who cares? They continue to spend more and more and more and more, they could tax the rich 100% and they would still be running the debt up higher and higher. You have to be insane to think a bit of a tax increase is going to have even a minute impact on our great grandchildren's debt when they are born. It's like trying to bale the water out of a sinking cruise ship with a thimble........
edit on Fri, 07 Dec 2012 04:42:16 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Well they do have non partisan people who confirm how much money it will save. So it is something.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The corporations wanted trickle down economics... And they got it under bush.

What they did with that time was lie, cheat, and steal as much as they could funnel into off shore bank accounts. These CEO's would gladly wipe their ass with the american flag if it was profitable. They would murder thier own employees to collect the insurance. Not a doubt in my mind that mitt romney and his ilk would favor the reinstatement of african american slaves if it reduced their labor costs.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
The corporations wanted trickle down economics... And they got it under bush.

What they did with that time was lie, cheat, and steal as much as they could funnel into off shore bank accounts. These CEO's would gladly wipe their ass with the american flag if it was profitable. They would murder thier own employees to collect the insurance. Not a doubt in my mind that mitt romney and his ilk would favor the reinstatement of african american slaves if it reduced their labor costs.

Not sure about the slavery thing. But I agree otherwise.

Ie, just look at the republicans killing the bill to have an international un treaty that would implement disability coverages for disabled vets... Why?

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Mitt romeny already believes that black people are cursed decendants of Ham. We all know how true the bible is.

This is why his ancestors along with the rest of the religious retards didnt have muh problem with beating and raping people of another color. God commanded the jews do it several times already.
edit on 7-12-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Ie, just look at the republicans killing the bill to have an international un treaty that would implement disability coverages for disabled vets... Why?

I heard that the UN Treaty also included the ability for a disabled child to be taken out of it's home and away from it's parents if someone didn't like the methods that the parents had chosen to treat their child.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

I heard that the UN Treaty also included the ability for a disabled child to be taken out of it's home and away from it's parents if someone didn't like the methods that the parents had chosen to treat their child.

Sounds a lot like the fear mongering death panels we heard so much about that never came to fruition.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Sounds a lot like the fear mongering death panels we heard so much about that never came to fruition.

One that hasn't come to fruition because Obamacare hasn't been fully implemented yet, it remains to be seen.

In the meanwhile, you're obviously not familiar with the whole UN Treaty either, but choose to pick out one piece to bash Republicans.

So, I guess that works both ways.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Obviously you don't know that it has been thanks to Clinton that we have had the economic crisis?... But you want to go along the lines of Clinton again?... I guess you believe every lie Clinton spouts out of his venemous mouth...

This is part of the reason why we are in such a mess. Many Americans, like yourself, just "want to believe in the lies from Clinton and the likes", yet you are unable to see that these ideas that have been, and are being implemented by Clinton/Obama etc, are the destruction of America.

I don't make ANYWHERE close to $250K, and I am against this.

You want to solve the economic crisis?...

1. GET RID OF THE FEDS and make them pay every penny they have stolen, and more so the $16 TRILLION dollars they "lost" from 2007-2010...

2. Allow the "too big to fail" to actually fail and don't give them any bailouts... In fact, make sure they pay every penny that was given to them in the "bailouts"...

3. STOP SENDING AID TO OTHER COUNTRIES WHEN WE ARE IN TROUBLE... How many Obama fans can't understand that having Obama give even more money to other nations, including Palestine, and we are giving this money out without asking for it to be returned, and doesn't even have interest on it, yet Americans can't understand "why we are in an economic crisis"?...

4. STOP raising the debt ceiling and thinking that printing more PAPER money is going to solve the economic crisis... In fact this is just postponing the crash and making it 1,000 times worse than it would have been...

5. STOP trying to "change" The United States into another European union and claiming "it is what educated people do"... Educated, and intelligent people know that not every country has to do things the same way some other countries do, and it is actually okay to be different, even when it comes to how countries are run...

6. STOP trying to FORCE ANY American to do what some peple want us to do, such as implementing laws that FORCE Americans to pay for the abortions of women... It isn't your right to FORCE me, or other Americans to pay for the abortion YOU want to have...

No matter how much you think that FORCING others to do your will, because you and a few other people think it is "for the best of all", this type of policy only leads to DICTATORSHIP...

7. GET RID OF THE FEDS...

edit on 7-12-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

In what bizarro world is taking a tiny bit more money in, while spending many times what you take in, considered saving money? It's like stealing the kid next door's lunch money, while spending hundreds a day on crack with no job, and claiming it's saving money. It's like turning a faucet on drip into a fishtank with a hole in it, claiming you are saving the fish. I can't think of any more analogies right now lol.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

In what bizarro world is taking a tiny bit more money in, while spending many times what you take in, considered saving money? It's like stealing the kid next door's lunch money, while spending hundreds a day on crack with no job, and claiming it's saving money. It's like turning a faucet on drip into a fishtank with a hole in it, claiming you are saving the fish. I can't think of any more analogies right now lol.

In what bizzaro world did I say any of that? I clearly stated we needed spending cuts as well

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Nothing is as it appears. The GOP are regrouping to try to find a new way to fake that they care about poor people.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It will not pass the house, bonehead dosnt speek for the GOP anymore.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Howard Dean Democrat now says fiscial cliff would be best. That taxes must be raised on all Americans and that 401k's, IRA's, and all private savings must be taken under the control of the Government. The power grab is almost complete and the American people can on blame ourselves.

Obama took military spending from $650 billion under Bush to $959 billion. Took welfare from $220 billion to $450 billion. Obama has been spending $3.8 trillion a year for 4 years. Bush was spending $3.1 trillion. Now they want another $1.6 trillion to spend. What are we getting out of this? More debt and richer politicians in Washington DC.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Was he CRYING when he made these statements? LOL

There will be a price to be paid by ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS for this......

And anyone that thinks different has their head in the sand....

Adaptability will be the only solution.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined

I heard the UN Treaty gave all children free Ice Cream. But I don't have any FACTS to back up that accusation either.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
America as a whole is going to lose this battle. More taxes with and more spending. Employers who are already planning to cut jobs and or hours to pay for Obamacare. Some Feds talking about taking retirement accounts and using them as Gov bonds. UN treaties being discussed on possible gun bans. When will it all end? People have their opinions and that is great. But if the population cant see that all this added together screams disaster then we have no hope.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join