It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Let's See You Do It!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
A new project was released recently, a fan project for a popular franchise. I've seen a lot of praise heaped on it, but there were a few with negative reviews.

My response: Maybe instead of criticizing, show us how good you are.

I was then told that "Let's see you do it!" is a fallacy, and inadmissible in an argument. Okay, I have a problem with that, and I said as much - "Why tear down a man struggling to fly when you haven't even tried?"

History shows us numerous examples of men daring to dream, and the ostracizing that followed. Hundreds of miracles and revolutions with visionaries in the lead, and they were always bullied and ridiculed because they had the imagination to create the future.

We see it everywhere today. If a child is different in any way, they get bullied. If you happen to have a different political opinion, you get bullied. If you show your respect for the universe in your own way, you get bullied. And instead of offering a helping hand and making art together, we stand aside and destroy those who have the courage to jump for that star.

We get on the bus and we curse the driver for being so slow. We curse the police for taking us to jail. We curse the teacher for giving us a bad grade, or we curse the doctor because s/he gives us bad news. We never really how much we degrade those around us, never offering to help them become better.

And that's why I disagree with such a sentiment. A argumentative fallacy? Well, here's an argument for ya. If those people who can't stop complaining as though the whole world is a gift from their rich daddy want to see something worth their time, if they think the work of others isn't worth the canvas or the flashdrive or the film its on, then they should get up and start showing us how to do it right. There's no point in complaining if you can show us your vision. Instead of attacking us, lend a hand.

It might be harder than sitting and whining, but it would certainly save you time. So, as I like to say, "Let's see you do it better." Please. Teach me something.

edit on 6-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

If I made this thread, it would have been shorter.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I feel you OP, maybe this will help.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Ok, I see your point. But...

We curse the police for taking us to jail.

I see nothing wrong with this one. Especially with the rise in police corruption, violence, non-warrant issues, illegal search and seizure and innocent people being killed at the hands of these so-called protectors of the public.

I curse them daily and I don't have to walk in their shoes to understand.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I try not to get wrapped up in all the "we" messages too.

Internalizing others peoples negative crap sucks

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I swear I'm missing something obvious... or I guess I'm just not in the loop. What in the world are you talking about?

A new project was released recently, a fan project for a popular franchise. I've seen a lot of praise heaped on it, but there were a few with negative reviews.

Link, picture, video... or it didn't happen... What 'popular franchise'?

There's no point in complaining if you can show us your vision. Instead of attacking us, lend a hand.

It might be harder than sitting and whining, but it would certainly save you time. So, as I like to say, "Let's see you do it better." Please. Teach me something.

So I take it... you are personally involved in said 'fan project'?

"There's no point in complaining if you can show us your vision."

I'd have to disagree... this isn't sound advice. So... if people complain, the only thing that matters is if they have the ability to then contribute to whatever they were already complaining about lol.

"Lil Wayne's new album is terrible, it's garbage, and I can't stand hearing any of the songs"

So... now I must write a rap song and/or record one?

what?

Hundreds of miracles and revolutions with visionaries in the lead, and they were always bullied and ridiculed because they had the imagination to create the future.

I'm not sure as to what accounts of miracles are historically accurate, but ok... any references?

Leaders aren't ridiculed? Obama

That's enough outta me... fun rant.

edit on 6-12-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: clarification

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I totally get it! This drives me nuts too!

We get on the bus and we curse the driver for being so slow. We curse the police for taking us to jail. We curse the teacher for giving us a bad grade, or we curse the doctor because s/he gives us bad news. We never really how much we degrade those around us, never offering to help them become better.

I see this every day! You are so right. I notice others doing this and then I find myself falling into the very same trap, and I hate it. I bring it up that I feel bad criticizing others and bring it up to others, but then I get, "hey, it's human nature." So I go on feeling bad even though it has been excused by others. That doesn't make me feel better.

Not that I stress out on this every day, but I can definitely acknowledge that I am familiar with how it goes down and I feel bad about it too, when I find myself involved in it.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

but then I get, "hey, it's human nature."
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Next time tell then "No, it's human habit."

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Just because somebody can't do a better job doesn't mean criticisms aren't valid. The fact that I can't run a country doesn't mean that my criticisms of George Bush are void. The fact that I'm no good at sports doesn't mean I can't pass comment on the quality or lack of it, of a pro athlete. I can't direct films, but I've seen plenty of crap films, rest assured.

The person was right, you made a fallacious argument and you were called on it. Tough luck. In future try to rise above arguments that take the form of "lets see you do a better job" or "you're just a hater"

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

"We" What? no....

Granted I've only used public transportation a hand full of times... but I never recall hearing an individual complain that the bus driver is moving 'too slow'. Is that a common complaint?

I spent less than 4 hours once in 'jail'... and on the car ride to the station the 'arresting officer' and I had a great conversation. So... what? This generalizing thing isn't working out so well...

I've seen people that I know being taken away to jail by a police officer and the individual's who were arrested blamed themselves...

I've dealt with and have been witness to too many people that have been delivered bad news from a doctor... the doctor was never blamed. This is getting silly...

We never really how much we degrade those around us, never offering to help them become better.

Here's a helping hand... denying ignorance that will benefit you every time you converse with people.

"Stop making generalizing statements about humanity or any particular social groups... or even any individual that you feel is not living up to your standards."

edit on 6-12-2012 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: additional comment

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Link, picture, video... or it didn't happen... What 'popular franchise'?

Does knowing the name of the franchise change your opinion?

So I take it... you are personally involved in said 'fan project'?

"There's no point in complaining if you can show us your vision."

I'd have to disagree... this isn't sound advice. So... if people complain, the only thing that matters is if they have the ability to then contribute to whatever they were already complaining about lol.

"Lil Wayne's new album is terrible, it's garbage, and I can't stand hearing any of the songs"

So... now I must write a rap song and/or record one?

what?

You're right, you don't understand. See, if you complain, then obviously you wanted something from it. If you don't like how they did it, even when you put nothing into it, then do it for yourself. You'll get that much more appreciation for what it actually takes to learn to fly.

I'm not sure as to what accounts of miracles are historically accurate, but ok... any references?

Leaders aren't ridiculed? Obama

That's enough outta me... fun rant.

I never said leaders aren't ridiculed. I specifically stated that they are persecuted.

See ya around.

new topics

top topics

join