It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alright ATS, This Food Stamp President Stigma Crap Has Ruined My Christmas. Enough is Enough!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Me and my wife have been together for over 12 years and have two children. We met while attending the Indiana School for the Blind in 2000, where we eventually moved in together following graduation. Currently I am attending university and my wife is attending Chef school. My father passed away on November of last year, and he happened to leave me some money which I have been using to survive while attending school. I have always hated the system, and would never advocate its abuse. I have attmpted to work many times, but I have never been able to find a job that pays over 7 dollars an hour which is why I have been thriving to complete additional education. I refuse to use a food stamp card, although my wife realizes its importance. Well to get to my main point, I and my wife aswell as our 2 year old was at Kroger grocery store in a downtown area of a college town. My wife has a significant amount more vision than I, but still not enough to read , just only see shadows. We are granted around 60 bucks in grub stubs per month, and around this time is when we use them to get some necessities to feed our starving children and selves. As it is now, I have only eaten 1 meal a day and sometimes not even that since we have lived together. So after we obtain 35 dollars in groceries and a few cheap six packs of beer to relieve stress of school, children, and everyday American life we began to check out at a U Scan. The toddler was in the stroller, and we have always moved our unpurchased goods like this un til we reached the register. We paid for the food with stamps, and beer with my dad's money. A problem was that due to our screaming child, vision problems, and the near arrival of the next city bus we forgot to pay for one six pack totalling 5.49. Eventually everyone, including the child was taken in the back room by a real police officer. My wife was interrupted and not allowed to explain anything, and this guy was a real robot or drone so to speak. He had never seen her phone, yet he asked her if she liked her phone in a really sarcastic tone, which shows that he had been watching us for along time which meant that he knew we were really blind. She said she would pay for the beer, yet he insisted that he "knew that she had the money, but that didn't matter now." Alot of other things transpired that truly showed his hatred for those on assistance, and nowwe are banned from the only Kroger that is accessible via public transportation until we pay a 250 dollar civil sute. The officer just slid a paper under my wifes nose and said sign it or get your child taken away and go to jail. The officer's name is [snip] and the number of the Kroger he volunteers at is [snip]. Sorry mods if your not allowed to give out this type of info, but I have seen it done before. This man had a disliking for our way of life and clearly couldn't stand the fact we had a nice cell phone and a beer after a long day.
P.S. The cell phone is a really nice Samsung note that my wife won off of a sweepstakes. Sorry for the rant, but we are feeling the effects of the stigma put forth by the extreme right, and now our children are going to suffer as well. I was going to go back today to get the Christmas tree we have wanted for a while now, but since we are banned and have no family thats not going to happen. I also work at the local Goodwill making 7.75 an hour just to pay 900 dollars rent for a shabby old duplex, and go to school full time. I have literally had no more than 3 hours of sleep in the past 4 months and I just want to cry, can you please call and ask this guy what the heck the grudge is all about? This is the second time I have been shafted by LEO's which has truly impacted my life and demoralized me. I am shaking because I am so upset, I just got paid and I wanted to get Christmas dinner supplies today, but I can't.

JP.S.S PLEASE NO TROLLS, AND I USE WHAT IS KNOWN AS A SCREENREADER TO NAVIGATE THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND WEB, so don't ask how I created this post like millions always do.
edit on 6-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Note to readers: I have some experience with some of the screen readers OP is talking about. JAWS for Windows, for example, uses a speaker to actually read to the person and allows more or less "easy" (if you can call it that) navigation for sight-impaired users. His "wall of text" above is likely a result of this reader software. I've seen sight impaired users do really well with this kind of software.

Disclosure: I once outfitted several PCs with this and other software for use by sight impaired in a public location. This put me in touch with this community and some of the varied needs they have. I'm writing this just to corroborate what OP said about how he can do this. Let's give him a break and deal with the issues he brings up. Tx.

Night wing, you need to reread his post. he didn't say he used food stamps to buy beer. Your kind of snarkiness is just the kind of thing the visually impaired have to deal with every day.
edit on 12/6/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cbaskins

A lot of schools offer free legal advice and lawyer services for struggling students. My daughter used one when she was in college, for a problem she was having.

I would get some legal advice, you might have a "disabilities" case against them. Just the treat of legal action might get you unbanned and the fine lifted, with the help of lawyer.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Given the best assumptions made by the reader? I think your stuck. She signed it and she ended it right there. That was the whole point and while he lied to her about what he had the authority to do in getting her to sign. Volunteers eh? Well...That sucks.. means he wasn't a cop. Just off duty, moonlighting security. The distinctions pretty important for who you'd take it up with. The Police Department has internal affairs if you think coercion happened. If not, State Police usually fills the role. However, if he was working or volunteering for the store? Off to civil court you go...and don't bother trying in my opinion, if you cannot hire an attorney. They will have a good one for their side and he'll tear ya up if you try representing yourself.

I hate to say it..I really do...but right or wrong on this, your options likely ended without some expensive legal help when she signed the paper.
Just my two cents.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am going to be honest friend, I could write lots of novels and have been working on one for awhile. You should have seen the time I was homeless in Alabama and was offered a place to work and stay by one of the heads of a male teen sex ring. He pimped male teens to judges, lived in a mansion, and had some really strange friends. I was out of there once I realized what was going on. When you have no family or friends strange things seem to occur. By the way I know blind programmers, performing artist, mountain climbers, and yes even chefs. It does sound hilarious the way you put it though. lol

reply to post by Nite_wing

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I really dont know what to say mate! i really feel for you and your family
. I hope things get better for you soon, but in the mean time hold fast brother.

you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Not to sound like a jerk here but, If you really wanted something to be done about your situation with this store, call a local news affiliate. They love this stuff. Random people calling from ATS probably won't do much for you. Also, contact a lawyer; many would look into it pro bono considering your situation (especially if you have already talked to the news).

This post has nothing to do with the extreme right though, it has to do with people witnessing abuse of the EBT/food stamp/welfare system by its users for decades.

Anyhow, that is my advice to you. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wall of text is making it hard to read.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cbaskins
I am going to be honest friend, I could write lots of novels and have been working on one for awhile. You should have seen the time I was homeless in Alabama and was offered a place to work and stay by one of the heads of a male teen sex ring. He pimped male teens to judges, lived in a mansion, and had some really strange friends. I was out of there once I realized what was going on. When you have no family or friends strange things seem to occur. By the way I know blind programmers, performing artist, mountain climbers, and yes even chefs. It does sound hilarious the way you put it though. lol

Then I wish you well.
It just sounded funny the way you put it.
Cops are hired by stores for security (I know.)

The story is always the same. Oh, I forgot to pay.
Sometimes it really happens. Sometimes it doesn't.
No way for anyone to tell what is the truth.
Just don't blame it all on the cop. He was just doing his job. This time it happened to be you.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Note to readers: I have some experience with some of the screen readers OP is talking about. JAWS for Windows, for example, uses a speaker to actually read to the person and allows more or less "easy" (if you can call it that) navigation for sight-impaired users. His "wall of text" above is likely a result of this reader software. I've seen sight impaired users do really well with this kind of software."

x.

Night wing, you need to reread his post. he didn't say he used food stamps to buy beer. Your kind of snarkiness is just the kind of thing the visually impaired have to deal with every day.
edit on 12/6/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Thanks for clarifying that Skyler, I thought there was some separation there. ATS is far from the most accessible site on the web lol. Thank you all for listening, I have not had many in my life but you have always been here for me.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
"I hate to say it..I really do...but right or wrong on this, your options likely ended without some expensive legal help when she signed the paper.
Just my two cents. "

Thanks so much for the reply, I think you're spot on.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Given the best assumptions made by the reader? I think your stuck. She signed it and she ended it right there. That was the whole point and while he lied to her about what he had the authority to do in getting her to sign. Volunteers eh? Well...That sucks.. means he wasn't a cop. Just off duty, moonlighting security. The distinctions pretty important for who you'd take it up with. The Police Department has internal affairs if you think coercion happened. If not, State Police usually fills the role. However, if he was working or volunteering for the store? Off to civil court you go...and don't bother trying in my opinion, if you cannot hire an attorney. They will have a good one for their side and he'll tear ya up if you try representing yourself.

"I hate to say it..I really do...but right or wrong on this, your options likely ended without some expensive legal help when she signed the paper.
Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for the reply, I hate tosay it too, I think yu're spot on.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Thank yu so much for putting me in your prayers, I need it.

reply to post by Pinger

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorChaos
Not to sound like a jerk here but, If you really wanted something to be done about your situation with this store, call a local news affiliate." They love this stuff. Random people calling from ATS probably won't do much for you.

Oh no, you don't sound like a jerk. I thought of that, but I am not for causing a scene. Although, I think this guy needs to be taught a lesson, and am almost considering it. He wouldn't show us a video that he claimed showed that we lifted the beer on purpose. I called to chat with the manager, but I was transferred to this guy and he hung up on me when I was being humble.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

What killed me was the "starving children". Then, a few cheap six packs of beer. over $15 worth of the $70 allotted for groceries. That is over 20% spent on beer. Yah, starving children. Give up the beer, $15 can be 3 - 5 meals. My father has macular degeneration with little sight, yet he worked his ass off to support three children by himself during a recession. I know it isn't the same sight problems you have, but, buying beer when you have "starving children"? I have, and would again, sold all of my "personal stuff" so my children wouldn't do without. You had my sympathy and even my wondering how I could donate to you until I read about the beer. I don't give money to homeless people that have a pack of cigs so why should I treat you any different?

Edit: I apologize. I made the same mistake another poster made. I am going to leave this up so others don't make the same mistake and also as a monument to my shame. Sorry again.

edit on 6-12-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2012 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

cheap beer doesnt cost 15 for a 12 pack. cheap beer is about 7 or 8 for a 12 pack. are you really gonna give this guy crap for wanting a cold beer at the end of the day. thats petty.

i just saw that he spent 5.49 on a 6er. thats 11 bucks not 7 or 8.

to the op you should look for that cheaper beer it may not taste as good but it will save u a couple bucks.
edit on 6-12-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

dp
edit on 6-12-2012 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yeah, but he could have used compasson and common sense. He knew our situation, yet totally disregarded logic. I talked to corporate today, and tey said it is not uncommon for the officers to let you go and acknowledge a misunderstanding. He didn't have to be a jerk and make my wife cry. So in fact, the officer is to blame, he even hung up on me today as well..
I have spent over 30,000 dollas at Kroger in the past 13 years, nd I am sure they wouldn't some power hungry thug shewing off their customers. I have forgotten things before, so is it it breaking the law when I bring it back in and pay for it? That was the way this guy is trying to put it, when I talked to him. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 6 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing

Then I wish you well.
It just sounded funny the way you put it.
Cops are hired by stores for security (I know.)

The story is always the same. Oh, I forgot to pay.
Sometimes it really happens. Sometimes it doesn't.
No way for anyone to tell what is the truth.
Just don't blame it all on the cop. He was just doing his job. This time it happened to be you.

First off, the story is not always the same. In most cases somebody comes in and up and steals the beer if that is their intent. However, the OP happened to be buying groceries and payed for one of the cases, so it would have obviously been apparent that they were not stealing. I have seen plenty of police officers be lenient or forgiving in situations much like this so he didn't just have to "do his job", he could have gave them a break.

Besides the 5.49 that the beer was worth was only 49 cents above what they can even charge you with a crime for(at least where I live). If the cop knew they had a nice phone, then he should have also noticed that the OP didn't intend to steal the beer.

Anyways, to the OP: Hey I think this could have easily been a result of some vendetta the security guy/cop had against folks like you, however I would avoid placing the blame on the "extreme right" even if they are somewhat to blame, because that will only result in the cynical and defensive comments of some other posters which will foster topical drift. So next time just stick to telling us the story that needs to be reflected on and avoid all the political hooey. Just a piece of advice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join