It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture Mac computers in USA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
Aloysius the Gaul must be a Windows fanboy

Congratulations. You just won the jerkiest yet most irrelevant post award. lol

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I just saw on the HK news tonight that Foxconn shares are plummeting from this announcement.
Since Foxconn is the 'assembler' for Apple things are going south for them.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by Bixxi3

I wonder maybe its the amount of suicides they've caused directly or indirectly over the years for horrible conditions at factories.

You realize it isn't just Apple. Nearly every tech company has outsourced to China, and the majority of them use Foxconn for their services.

Indeed. Plus you can buy Foxconn boards and mini-computers branded their own! They are quite popular in the electronics world.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm not sure what will happen in the future, but it seems to me that the long-term future of manufacturing isn't in factories overseas or factories in the U.S., but in our very homes. I'm not sure yet how something like that will affect the economy.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
the only thing made in the usa will be the sticker they slap on it

This sticker was, MADE IN THE USA

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Many of the larger US companies are bringing production back. Our company is investing nearly 1 BILLION in new manufacturing plants. This area all the closed factories have been bought out and are being rehabed. We have to build a new warehouse because there's no space within 10 miles to lease. 2014 is going to be a big year for US manyfacturing and they guy in charge is going to get the credit even though it related to global economics and the MADE IN THE USA brand

They sent manufacturing to other countries because America can't get oil it needs anymore. 2007 Saudi Arabia declared they weren't accepting US dollars for oil anymore.....China is Saudi's biggest oil buyer now.

How on Earth would manufacturing ever come back to America since America can't get the oil it needs anymore? Not even Tampons are made in the USA anymore because of that. There will be no more American manufacturing boom. There is no longer a middle class to buy their goods. If Apple makes products on US soil, they will ALL be export products to people in the world with money. Germany, China, Middle East, Russia.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
good luck finding americans who will work under apples slave labour conditions.... wonder how many they will drive to suicide over there with their inhumane labour policies... or is the economy that bad that now they will tolerate a company like apple doing to them what its done to the chinese... how many more must die to satisfy apples greed ?

I just want to point out one thing to you on this. Apple doesn't have slave labour conditions, they used contract manufacturers like Foxconn to do their manufacturing. Not defending Apple on the conditions in the FoxConn factories but just wanted to clarify.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
It's a step in the right direction I guess. It's hard for me to get excited when a company like Apple announces a decision to do what would appear to be the right thing. When I think of any major US corporation I think of unscrupulous people doing whatever it takes to make a profit, I think of lobbyists paying for access and control of MY politicians, and how government basically sponsors their violation of the people and resources of the world. Like others have said, this will probably mean prison labor assembling products for 22 cents an hour. Sorry to be jaded & cynical but it's been a long time since I've seen anything to make me believe any major US corporation, or politician seated in DC gives a crap about America.

Can you show anything credible in the news about private corporations using 22 cent and hour prison labor for their private products? This idea seems to be tossed around in this thread quite a bit but I have never heard about companies doing this.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Many of the larger US companies are bringing production back. Our company is investing nearly 1 BILLION in new manufacturing plants. This area all the closed factories have been bought out and are being rehabed. We have to build a new warehouse because there's no space within 10 miles to lease. 2014 is going to be a big year for US manyfacturing and they guy in charge is going to get the credit even though it related to global economics and the MADE IN THE USA brand

They sent manufacturing to other countries because America can't get oil it needs anymore. 2007 Saudi Arabia declared they weren't accepting US dollars for oil anymore.....China is Saudi's biggest oil buyer now.

How on Earth would manufacturing ever come back to America since America can't get the oil it needs anymore? Not even Tampons are made in the USA anymore because of that. There will be no more American manufacturing boom. There is no longer a middle class to buy their goods. If Apple makes products on US soil, they will ALL be export products to people in the world with money. Germany, China, Middle East, Russia.

Wow, learning all sorts of new things on here today. So in 2007 SA stopped accepting US dollars for oil... can you link a story, I would love to read about this.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
so is this the beginning of the shift where china will become the consumer nation and we become the cheap labor nation??

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoubleDNH
Can you show anything credible in the news about private corporations using 22 cent and hour prison labor for their private products? This idea seems to be tossed around in this thread quite a bit but I have never heard about companies doing this.

Thanks.

A 2 minute Google Search provided the following results:

MANUFACTURING:American Plastics Council, Archer Daniels Midland Corporation, AutoZone, Inc. (aftermarket automotive parts), Cargill, Inc., Caterpillar, Inc., Chlorine Chemistry Council, Deere & Company, Fruit of the Loom, Grocery Manufacturers of America, Inland Steel Industries, Inc., International Game Technology, International Paper, Johnson & Johnson, Keystone Automotive Industries, Motorola, Inc., Procter & Gamble, Sara Lee Corporation.

INSOURCIN G - Identifying businesses involved in prison labor or supporting those who are

How US prison labour pads corporate profits at taxpayers' expense

If DailyKOS and The Guardian aren't to your taste there are links in both articles which will allow you to look at their sources.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar
“Assembled in USA.”

Not made in. Parts will still be from China.

What minimum percentage has to be assembled in the USA for them to say that I wonder?

Slavery is coming to USA, be warn. The Corporations don't care about countries. Now they are after the free. Have fun blaming China. Your kind of too late. Infiltration is higher than ever. Russia will be next. India is going to get the knife as usual. Watch and learn. As the rich ignores their own race it starts to becomes a sell out. Happening since 1900's western colonization of China.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Apple opened up a pandoras box. they won lawsuits against samsung and others. too bad for them that at China Inc all companies are tied together, and Foxconn, critical component maker that i-tronics makers including AAPL depend on, did not like one of their subsidiaries getting bitten by arrogant debter nations.
There is nothing patriotic here. there is no O-inspiring economic comeback. Just setting the table for the trade war

www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 7-12-2012 by robobbob because: xxxx

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Apple starts reversing its outsourcing??

That's interesting - it has come under much criticism along with other organuisations for manufacturing in China.

So what has changed:

apparently nothing at all -

Given that, why doesn’t Apple leave China entirely and manufacture everything in the U.S.? “It’s not so much about price, it’s about the skills,” Cook told Williams.

Echoing a theme stated by many other companies, Cook said he believes the U.S. education system is failing to produce enough people with the skills needed for modern manufacturing processes. He added, however, that he hopes the new Mac project will help spur others to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

“The consumer electronics world was really never here,” Cook said. “It’s a matter of starting it here.”

so they need better skills, the education system isn't providing them, so they are brining manufacturing back in order to provide an incentive to get better skills?

That's how I read it at least.

Seems pretty strange
It still doesn't answer why now? Why couldn't they have done this 2, 5, heck 10 years ago??

rockcenter.nb cnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-12-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: crappy spelling

More like the stage for WW3 has been laid. Homosexuals have been allowed to serve openly in the military(a good portion of the "elite" are homosexuals after all), and amnesty is about to be shoved down Americans throat. The only way such changes can be "locked in" is via refreezing. Historically refreezing has been achieved through such a horrific war that such things seem minimal.

That way they have an excuse to bring up a draft to force moral Heterosexuals to serve alongside homosexuals. So alot of the big companies are starting to bring back production to keep it safe, that and 3d printing technology is rendering alot of stuff obsolete and should cause production costs to free fall. Additionally, the Obama administration has far more protectionist leanings then any administration since before WW2.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by makemap

Originally posted by khimbar
“Assembled in USA.”

Not made in. Parts will still be from China.

What minimum percentage has to be assembled in the USA for them to say that I wonder?

Slavery is coming to USA, be warn. The Corporations don't care about countries. Now they are after the free. Have fun blaming China. Your kind of too late. Infiltration is higher than ever. Russia will be next. India is going to get the knife as usual. Watch and learn. As the rich ignores their own race it starts to becomes a sell out. Happening since 1900's western colonization of China.

The one thing we need to watch is where Apple builds those facilities. The number one threat is the fact that they might try to use prison labor and the Pandora box that will open..

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ahhh I don't know abou this...I called some time ago to a company that made LCD televsions that toted the "Made in America" label...excited I called the company to say how nice it was that they are able to do this...well the reality is that they are assembled to some extent in the US but for the most part the bulk of it is made I believe in Mexico...they may assemble just a few components and outsource the rest...I will wait to hear more as I'm a bit dubious about this statement...

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Oh, so labor must be cheaper here now. I see.

posted on Dec, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Expect the price to go up another thousand too just for being "assembled in the USA" and the followers will still pay. Not that you're not already getting ripped off for those couple thousand you already spent.

posted on Dec, 8 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
This will never happen. It's merely a political ruse to instill false hope of economic recovery in the hearts of those that need to be fooled...the American public.

Please wake up.

Peace

posted on Dec, 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
ha ha as usual people in here talking about slave labor - wrong!

www.ted.com...

also apple probably knows as the situation for jobs becomes more desperate the US is going to ask how come apple needs so much extra money in the bank.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join